PDA

View Full Version : This is what texture files look like

Epistolary Richard
12-07-2006, 03:21
As its posting may have been a little obscure:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74083

https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8203/enpeasantpaddedenglandrp6.th.jpg (https://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enpeasantpaddedenglandrp6.jpg)

border_horse.xml

<Model>
<Type>Border_Horse</Type>
<BoneMap>unit_models\BoneMaps\soldier_bone_map_new.xml</BoneMap>
<AttachmentSet>unit_models\AttachmentSets\Final Kite.attSetXML</AttachmentSet>
<AttachmentGroups>
<Group>Cav Spear</Group>
<Group>Sword Secondary</Group>
</AttachmentGroups>
<Meshes>
<Mesh>
<FileName>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\EN_padded_basic_lod0.gr2</FileName>
<Distance>11</Distance>
</Mesh>
<Mesh>
<FileName>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\EN_padded_basic_lod1.gr2</FileName>
<Distance>30</Distance>
</Mesh>
<Mesh>
<FileName>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\EN_padded_basic_lod2.gr2</FileName>
<Distance>50</Distance>
</Mesh>
<Mesh>
<FileName>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\EN_padded_basic_lod3.gr2</FileName>
<Distance>80</Distance>
</Mesh>
</Meshes>
<Torch>
<Bone>bone_lhand</Bone>
<OffsetX>-0.09</OffsetX>
<OffsetY>0.0</OffsetY>
<OffsetZ>0.0</OffsetZ>
<WorldOffsetX>-0.35</WorldOffsetX>
<WorldOffsetY>0.8</WorldOffsetY>
<WorldOffsetZ>0.6</WorldOffsetZ>
</Torch>
<Textures>
<Texture>
<Diffuse>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\textures\EN_Peasant_Padded_scotland.tga</Diffuse>
<Normal>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\textures\EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.tga</Normal>
<Sprite>unit_sprites\scotland_Border_Horse_sprite.spr</Sprite>
<Faction>scotland</Faction>
</Texture>
<Texture>
<Diffuse>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\textures\EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.tga</Diffuse>
<Normal>unit_models\_Units\EN_Peasant_Padded\textures\EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.tga</Normal>
<Sprite>unit_sprites\slave_Border_Horse_sprite.spr</Sprite>
<Faction>slave</Faction>
</Texture>
</Textures>
<Skeletons>
<Skeleton>
<Mount>Horse</Mount>
<Primary>MTW2_HR_Spear</Primary>
<Secondary>MTW2_HR_Non_Shield</Secondary>
<PrimaryAttachment>MTW2_HR_spear_Primary</PrimaryAttachment>
<SecondaryAttachment>MTW2_Sword_Primary</SecondaryAttachment>
</Skeleton>
</Skeletons>
</Model>

For more details see the thread - WARNING Advanced Modders only (it makes my head hurt :dizzy2: )
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74083

=Omni=
12-07-2006, 03:38
Ha, great posting! At least we can see how they have put the texture parts on the main texture :book: So it seems, that all armour variations use one texture

It's interesting that in the xml file converter is only calling for lods' model files - from that we can assume that all unit model variations, including the random heads sa well as upgraded armor models are one scene. I wonder how the engine calls which models to use:juggle2:

From the bad things, it seems, that headgear is not separately attached to the soldier (like shield and weapons), so it may be hard to bash some new models by using different bodies and different helemts (like making spearmen use polish noble's helmet instead of the current one etc)

Ozzfest20
12-07-2006, 04:27
So, what about modelling and texturing tools? Are they available?

Epistolary Richard
12-07-2006, 10:21
Until there is a big flashing neon sign on this forum saying 'Download your model/texture tools here!' assume not.

Throumbaris
12-07-2006, 10:46
It's interesting that in the xml file converter is only calling for lods' model files - from that we can assume that all unit model variations, including the random heads sa well as upgraded armor models are one scene. I wonder how the engine calls which models to use:juggle2:

From the bad things, it seems, that headgear is not separately attached to the soldier (like shield and weapons), so it may be hard to bash some new models by using different bodies and different helemts (like making spearmen use polish noble's helmet instead of the current one etc)

Yeah thats what im wondering too, i was expecting some sort of modular system for different body parts but if every unit has its own model then there is a lot of duplication involved.

Musashi
12-07-2006, 11:16
Gah... Textures... so simple to modify... yet dangled just out of reach!

*Musashi jumps up and down trying to reach the texture files*

Dave1984
12-15-2006, 15:11
So how are these .texture files opened for editing?

Musashi
12-15-2006, 20:22
^^ What he said! ^^

Please someone tell me, I'm gonna do good things with the info :D

=Omni=
12-15-2006, 20:31
The GrumpyOldMan in this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75089) has written how to convert the texture files to dds ones. However, we can only conver them to dds, but not back, hence you cannot make any modifications to them.

How to do it?

1. copy the file!
2. open the texture file in hex editor
3. delete the first 48 bytes (if you don't want to count the bytes, just delete everything until it's written DDS (IN CAPITALS!;first one - in the beggining of file, and NOT in capital letters has to be deleted)
4. rename the file from texture to dds
5 And Voila!

Musashi
12-15-2006, 20:40
Gah... Can't convert back?

Oh well... At least I can finally get started making the extra textures I need... I'll have them ready to go when someone figures out how to convert them back *grumbles*

EDIT: Oof. It's actually worse than I thought... The textures are basically there for most units to be colored to various factions... BUT we'd have to be able to compile our own battle_models.modeldb file to make them work...

Damn... That's just ruined my whole day...