PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Cas Exporter Released!

Faenaris
12-18-2006, 22:30
http://www.totalwarblog.com/

Thanks to Kevin Hoque of the Creative Assembly UK studio, we now have a public releasable version of our in-house model and animation exporter for Rome and Medieval II: Totalwar. Those of you in the modding community will already be familiar with the model and animation format used in Rome: Totalwar thanks to Vercingetorix’s 3rd party CAS importer/exporter. The CA exporter has been re-programmed for use in 3dsmax 7 8 and 9 while retaining full functionality. The CA exporter can be used by modders to export custom created units, siege, props and animations for the Rome: Totalwar engine. It can also be used to export custom strategy map models and unit/siege animations for Medieval2: Totalwar.

You can download it here!

Merry Christmas and Happy modding!

Caliban

hoom
12-19-2006, 04:58
I'm not a modder (except in the vaguest tweaking .txt files way) but bloody YAY!

The CA exporter can be used by modders to export custom created units, siege, props and animations for the Rome: Totalwar engine. It can also be used to export custom strategy map models and unit/siege animations for Medieval2: Totalwar.Siege animations etc!!! & for both RTW & M2TW :beam:
Really looking forward to the stuff that will be able to be released with this.

Alexander the Pretty Good
12-19-2006, 07:45
Don't get too excited - it doesn't help with modeling and animating units for MTW2...

Hopefully there will be more releasing of in house tools in the future.

Caliban
12-19-2006, 08:15
It should work with M2TW animations and strategy map models, but not battlemap models (just thier animations).

Musashi
12-19-2006, 09:19
Heh, I'm just dying to get the ability to kitbash some of the existing models (Sadly that is the extreme extent of my modelling ability, but luckily it's all I really need for my purposes :) )

hoom
12-19-2006, 11:25
Ah, right, if there is still no ability to do battlemap models for M2TW, then that really will limit the utility :embarassed:
So next we need is the model exporter (& texture converter?)

SigniferOne
04-10-2007, 21:47
Caliban, will this script be fixed? Right now it does not seem to work, for any of the versions of 3dmax. I was trying to bring over some RTW strat models, exported via Verc's script, and it crashed, so I'm thinking we need the CA exporter to make it work.

Caliban
04-11-2007, 07:32
Can you be more specific Signifer about what doesn't work? I tested the CA exporter in 3dsmax7 and 8 before I released it and it seemed fine.

If you are referring to Verc's .CAS importer script for 3dsmax, It needs to be updated to allow for the medieval2 unit rigs. It seems as though his script was made to only bring in RTW units. The problem being that M2 units have different skeletons and skin properties from RTW units.
The .CAS format hasn't actually changed.

alpaca
04-11-2007, 12:42
Signifer: Even strat models have changed to some extent ;)

SigniferOne
04-12-2007, 02:13
Can you be more specific Signifer about what doesn't work? I tested the CA exporter in 3dsmax7 and 8 before I released it and it seemed fine.
Sure, it's the very same problem as mentioned here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1351176

I tried the version of the script right for my 3dsmax version, and that didn't work, so I even tried the other two to boot, with no success. I'd be surprised if anyone in the playerbase got this script to work...

Caliban
04-13-2007, 01:09
I'm confused, are you talking about Verc's 'Script' or the CA .CAS plugin?
We didn't release any scripts for 3dsmax. Only the plugins. I'm going to install a fresh copy of max7 and try it again here.

uanime5
06-23-2007, 12:02
Can I used the Cas exporter to add a RTW unit to M2TW?