PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me...

Reverend Joe
12-24-2006, 04:41
what the Lucanian infantry are? I have used them extensively as mercenary auxiliaries in my games on the Italian peninsula, and they intrigue me greatly.

I can surmise by their appearance and state that they are a derivation of the classical Hoplite, but beyond that, I am at a loss. The only other thing I can gather from them is that they are most likely one of two types of infantry: a stopgap between the regular hoplites and the peltasts, a la Thurephoroi, or a full adaptation of the local hoplites to the standards of the Italian style of warfare.

Someone in the know- I need help!

Fondor_Yards
12-24-2006, 05:20
Also had no idea, but wikipedia saves the day!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucanians

Also what happened to that carthagian "Bruttian Infantry" that's up on the site.

Reverend Joe
12-24-2006, 05:40
I must confess, I am a conscientious objector to Wikipedia. Anyway, there wasn't much else there that was not in Britannica.

A Gibson
05-20-2012, 17:32
Sorry to be an irritating arse, but the rules of the site state that I have to make a post before I can send a message. Since I cannot contribute in any positive way to the posts in the forum, and since kinda' need to send that message I decided to find a "dead" thread and post something there. That "dead" thread was this one... I am sorry to make as pointless a post as this one in this thread.