PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Tip: Optimal Diplomat Placement

OMGLAZERS
12-25-2006, 21:07
(Or "Five Diplomats and NO MORE!")

I just wanted to share what I think is a tip that maybe a lot of people have not considered. If you're playing on anything below VH (where diplomacy barely matters anymore), or using a mod from the community, diplomacy and proper relations can have a huge impact on your game.

The only problem is, FINDING the towns or agents to send your diplomats out to discuss with.

Everyone has i'm sure a major problem with it. You'd like to break an alliance or declare a cease fire but you just can't find a place to send your lone diplomat.

Therefore, my suggestion and strategy is to have exactly five (although you can have more) diplomats ASAP and send them to the following strategic locations. Notice; you will be playing as a faction in one of these areas, and that diplomat should ALWAYS stay on your front lines, in order to placate nearby factions or spot incoming armies to bribe or ally with.

By placing diplomats in the following five areas, you will have access (at least, before the rampant fighting begins or for most of it) to every single faction with only five diplomats. The key is to place your diplomats are the intersections or most heavily trafficked areas

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Lookbeyond/optimal-diplomats.jpg

As you can see by the picture there are five areas of best placement. Starting from the left:

1) In Valencia, you have access to the Portugese, Spanish, and Moors. France may also expand south, giving you another easy access.

2) The most un-populated diplomat. Access to Caen and Paris for the English and French. If Denmark expands West (as they usually do) that makes it even simpler. If not, it's only two turn walk instead of one.

3) This dipomat will have work cut out for him. He's between Milan, Venice and the Papacy, with the HRE also next to him. He also has access to the Sicilians. If you haven't noticed also, the Papacy is an AGENT magnet. So you'll always be guarenteed to find other agents from other factions here as well

4) Prague is an excellent placement as well. HRE, Poland, and Hungary in one fell swoop, with Russia and her agents nearby.

5) Also a great location. Egypt and the Turks, as well as the Mongols and Timurds when they come around. Also, a great way to spot for good times to crusade.

Your first diplomat should immediately make his way to #3. Here he can make the most contacts in the shortest amount of time (after your neighbors, of course).

Otherwise, priority of placement depends on your location and strategy.

Alright, though that might help. Enjoy everyone.

Shahed
12-25-2006, 21:41
Very good.

zstajerski
12-25-2006, 21:49
hhhmmm
maybe right I noticed alot of diplomats hanging around that locations
never thought of it really

katank
12-25-2006, 22:49
Thanks for the tip. I never was big on diplomat use and probably my game suffers from this.

Add spares somewhere? My tributing fella to the Papacy got bribed by the Venetians once while at war. Do you keep some diplos kicking around HRE or something as replacements?

OMGLAZERS
12-25-2006, 23:14
Thanks for the tip. I never was big on diplomat use and probably my game suffers from this.

Add spares somewhere? My tributing fella to the Papacy got bribed by the Venetians once while at war. Do you keep some diplos kicking around HRE or something as replacements?

I usually keep a 6th lying around my capital just for kicks.

If you don't use diplomats much, they don't gain influence, making them EASY as pie to bribe which others will do for no particular reason but just to piss you off.

Use them more often, and you'll never see a bribed diplomat.

sapi
12-26-2006, 12:11
Nice guide, though i find the only thing i use diplomats for is placating the papacy :P

pevergreen
12-26-2006, 13:09
Diplomacy? What is this? Crush everyone is my diplomatic policy.
:sweatdrop: Actually its tech up and attack with large uber units.

flook
12-26-2006, 13:14
one permanently god bothering at the papalcy works for me :balloon2: