PDA

View Full Version : Capo de Tutti Capi [Concluded]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

Louis VI the Fat
02-03-2007, 22:26
Yes Orb, somebody was sleeping when the orders were send. Sleeping in real life that is.

Oh well, better luck tonight.

Edit: huh? Quotes don't work?

Redleg
02-03-2007, 22:27
Ha! You don't think I'd name they all, would you? Trying to get some info on them?

They know who they are, and that I'm congratulating them just as much as Redleg and Luigi.

Crazed Rabbit

Given that your dead - I am not to worried about it for now. Yep there is a couple of people yet to find that are mafia - but your one we don't need to worry about.

A process of elimation will determine the truth we know Tom_Hagen soon to be was - was connected with one mafia group. We take the investigation result of "Tom_Hagen = Guilty! He participated in the murder of CountArach on Night Eight!" and then add the description of CountArach death.

The figure behind the speaker pulled the trigger of his silencer. Arach slumped back in his chair, a bullet hole through his forehead. The speaker walked to the corpse. He picked up the book, wiped off the blood that had splattered on the cover and tucked it up it under his arm. He then laid a white glove in the lap of the corpse. As the man walk out the room he spoke over his shoulder:

That is one White Glove Mafia down.

Add Xaihou and the investigation results of "Xiahou: Guilty! -- no role info. You have also learned that Xiahou has participated in more than one murder (including the one on N6)!"

And review who was killed on night 6 several people - some were mob such as HughTower and Crazed Rabbit - both who have turned up as mafia made.

So now its Alexander's turn when we review, and find, "Alexander TPG = Guilty! He participated in killing Destroyer of Hope. On Night Three he helped kill Major Robert Dump. On Nights One & Two he was sleeping. No Role Info." Both who were killed according to the scenerio. Destroyer of Hope - He removed a white glove from his pocket, dropped it, and they all made their way out into the night. and For Major Dump his scenerio reads - The “cop” tossed the pistol into the nearest storm drain, stripped the white glove off of his shooting hand and dropped it on MRD’s corpse. The uniform was dumped in the trash nearby as both men faded into the alley and made one with the night.

So Tom_Hagen gets to die the traitors death and another white glove will soon fall. Then all that remains to clear up is who is the don of the white glove mob.

Edit: to take out a cheap shot.

Seamus Fermanagh
02-03-2007, 22:51
He's the lonely fear of dying
And for some of living too.
He's your private nightmare breaking
He just loves to turn the screws.
So stand as one defiant,
And let your voices swell.
Stare that Beastie in the face,
ANd really give him Hell.
-- Ian Anderson

Sunset Day Nine

Redleg sat at the front of the room, his mien grim. The final committee meeting of each day was no longer an exercise in tension – instead there was a palpable anger and mistrust.

“Final balloting.”

They all trooped up and turned in their votes. The counting scene was eerily familiar now – and carried out with a certain dreadful efficiency. Redleg stood.

“We have selected JimBob as our next director. JimBob, I offer you my thanks for your work and my thanks to all of you for allowing me to serve.”

He paused, then shifted to the next tally sheet.

“Tom_Hagen, you are found guilty by this committee and sentenced to death. You will be accorded the classic traitor’s death. You will be racked to encourage you to talk with us. Following this, you will be drawn and quartered and the refuse tossed into the sea. May God have mercy on your black soul – for in my heart I find none. Guards!”

Hagen stood and waited patiently, never moving his gaze from Redleg’s face, as the guards bound him and took him to the waiting rack. Only as he was leaving did he glance at Luigi and shake his head sadly. He said nothing.

On the rack he did confess, of course, but Fermanagh’s guards were far more enthusiastic than they were skilled. All four limbs were pulled from their sockets and his ligaments torn. The pain was excruciating and without pause. Under such conditions a man might say anything. Many present felt his confession was mostly true, though all present doubted that his mother had been a mafia Don as Hagen claimed, or that his grandfather was Gavrilo Princep and responsible for the First World War. Eventually, this horror stopped – only to be replaced by more.

Vivisected and then torn limb from limb, what was left of Tom_Hagen was taken to the end of the pier and dumped into the sea.

“Sic Semper Proditor,” muttered Redleg. Then, more loudly, “These proceedings are concluded.”

OOC

The Butcher’s Bill so Far:

Attacked: Proletariat (N1), Sasaki Kojiro (N1), Redleg (N2), Moros (N3), theRTWGuru (N3), JimBob (N6), CountArach (N7), Ituralde (N8), Pindar (N8), Tom_Hagen (N8), Xiahou (N8)

Lynched: Kralizec (D2) [mafia don], Beirut (D3) [mafia made], pevergreen (D4) [mafia don], Lord Motep of Kendermore (D5) [townie], The Stranger (D6) [townie], Sasaki Kojiro (D7) [The Wolf], Moros (D8), Tom_Hagen (D9)

Murdered: GeneralHankerchief (N1) [mafia luca], Stig (N2) [wise guy], AggonyDuck (N3) [wise guy], Major Robert Dump (N3) [mafia made], Caius Flaminius (N4) [townie], Sir Boo (N4) [wise guy], Sir Moody (N4) [townie] AndrestheCunning (N4) [wise guy], Dutch_Guy (N5) [townie], Sigurd Fafnesbane (N5) [townie], Ultrawar (N5) [townie], Crazed Rabbit (N6) [mafia made], HughTower (N6) [mafia made], Kommodus (N6) [doctor], Warluster (N6) [wise guy], Destroyer of Hope (N7) [Detective], CountArach (N8), Xiahou (N8)

Suicided: Ichigo, (D2) [townie], Tribesman (D2) [townie], Copperhaired Berzerker (N4) [townie], Peasant Phill (N5) [townie], theRTWGuru (N5) [townie], Pannonian (N6) [townie], Masy, (D7) [wise guy], Xdeathfire (D7) [wise guy]

WoGged: MarcusBrutus (D5) [townie], Hepcat (N5) [townie], Ignoramus (N5) [townie], Zalmoxis (N5) [townie], Drisos (N7) [townie]

Dead: 40, Living: 17

The Tallies:

Director (Days 10 & 11) Selection:

JimBob = 8 (ByzantineKnight, Cowhead418, Ironside, Ituralde, JimBob, Luigi VI di Fatlington, Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot, Redleg)

Kage = 4 (Kagemusha, Pindar, Proletariat, Tom_Hagen)

Luigi VI di Fatlington = 2 (Alexander the Pretty Good, Orb)

No Selection = 4 (Big King Sanctaphrax, doc_bean, Papewaio, Reenk Roink)

Lynch Votes:

Tom_Hagen = 7 (ByzantineKnight, Cowhead418, Ironside, JimBob, Luigi VI di Fatlington, Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot, Pindar)

Redleg = 2 (Alexander the Pretty Good, Tom_Hagen)

Abstain = 2 (doc_eanOrb)

Alexander the Pretty Good = 1 (Ituralde)

Pindar = 1 (Kagemusha)

No Vote = 5 (Big King Sanctaphrax, Papewaio, Proletariat, Redleg [director], Reenk Roink)

Again, it is the weekend, and I thank you for your patience. PM’s for Night 10 are due no later than 1600 HRS, EST, 2/4/7.

Don Corleone
02-04-2007, 00:56
Well, the only post-mortem reveal I intend to do isn't a secret. My new role, as fish food, went over swingingly. Glug, glug glug.

Xiahou
02-04-2007, 02:07
and also say that I'm glad someone competent took out Xiahou instead :balloon:
And who would that be eh? I know who the "Greek killer" is... Ive known for awhile. Anyone care to guess? :wink:

Orb
02-04-2007, 02:31
And who would that be eh? I know who the "Greek killer" is... Ive known for awhile. Anyone care to guess? :wink:

Really? Do tell :yes:

Crazed Rabbit
02-04-2007, 03:56
Why, the serial killer is you, Orb, aka Mr. Hoplite.

Crazed Rabbit

Kagemusha
02-04-2007, 04:14
I hope you mafia are now satisfied.What did don to o yo you?Now you have the majority so stop playing.Red you are a liar.

Csargo
02-04-2007, 04:20
I hope you mafia are now satisfied.What did don to o yo you?Now you have the majority so stop playing.Red you are a liar.

Have you been drinking?:inquisitive:

CountArach
02-04-2007, 04:23
Sounds like it..

Kagemusha
02-04-2007, 04:24
Nevermind.I really tought that there was something.Im now really pissed at some people.

Kagemusha
02-04-2007, 04:26
Have you been drinking?:inquisitive:

WHO CARES?CAPS

Csargo
02-04-2007, 04:26
Calm down, Kage.

Redleg
02-04-2007, 04:29
removed by me

GeneralHankerchief
02-04-2007, 04:30
Kage, calm down and edit that post.

This game isn't worth the warnings you'll get.

Kagemusha
02-04-2007, 04:32
Im not calming down if yesterday Red and his mafia fellows could brake the rules unpunished.I reallly thought it was serious business.So please have fun how you like it.

Kagemusha
02-04-2007, 04:39
So by quoting me you want to get me some warning points?What do i care?

ByzantineKnight
02-04-2007, 04:41
What's going on, how did they cheat?

Csargo
02-04-2007, 04:42
What's going on, how did they cheat?

No idea.

Kagemusha
02-04-2007, 05:46
Sorry im just turning my anger to people that dont deserve it.Im sorry. guess thats just human nature.

ByzantineKnight
02-04-2007, 10:50
Sorry im just turning my anger to people that dont deserve it.Im sorry. guess thats just human nature.

Kage, I have nothing but respect for you.

I was not critising you, I just didn't know what was going on.

Xiahou
02-04-2007, 11:20
Why, the serial killer is you, Orb, aka Mr. Hoplite.It's a shame he wasnt on the right side. :yes:

Louis VI the Fat
02-04-2007, 14:27
I wont be much here tomorrow, Since im in my friends batchelor party.I trust it was a good party then, in the finest Finnish tradition. :medievalcheers:

...and lots of water in the morning helps against this guy banging your head right now :smash:

Guess I'll also just repeat my previous post:
Characters are mortal enemies, within the game. This is a role-playing game. Outside of our roles, we are all players participating for the fun of it.

I hope we all keep our calm, play this as a game, and laugh it off when it's all over.

Crazed Rabbit
02-04-2007, 19:53
Given that your dead - I am not to worried about it for now. Yep there is a couple of people yet to find that are mafia - but your one we don't need to worry about.

Oh, you.

Now, I think I'd like my statue to be marble - always classy - in the greek tradition, though not painted.

Perhaps a giant rabbit, holding an old rifle, vigilantly standing guard, forms of the vanquished enemies squashed beneath my feet. Would that work? Too grandiose? What do you say, vanquished enemies?

I love how you ripped TH to shreds. If you do that to the innocent, how are you going to kill our friendly serial killer, Orb?

Crazed Rabbit

Redleg
02-04-2007, 19:59
Oh, you.

Now, I think I'd like my statue to be marble - always classy - in the greek tradition, though not painted.

Perhaps a giant rabbit, holding an old rifle, vigilantly standing guard, forms of the vanquished enemies squashed beneath my feet. Would that work? Too grandiose? What do you say, vanquished enemies?

Naw that wont do - more likely just a epitah on your grave would do.

Something consisting of

"rabied rabbit"

I love how you ripped TH to shreds. If you do that to the innocent, how are you going to kill our friendly serial killer, Orb?

Crazed Rabbit

Tom_Hagen was guilty of being mafia - so he deserved to be ripped to shreds for his treason to the town.

Ah throwing accusations around - I wonder why? Do you have proof of your claim ? I suspect your attempting something from the grave, but since your a dead mafia, its probably a valid assumption on my part.

Crazed Rabbit
02-04-2007, 20:09
Naw that wont do - more likely just a epitah on your grave would do.

Something consisting of

"rabied rabbit"

Oh, you! Not that that epitaph would make much sense, you know.

Anyways, what vanquished enemies should be the ones under my feet? I'm thinking of pained expressions on their faces, maybe an eye humorously bulging out.

Tom_Hagen was guilty of being mafia - so he deserved to be ripped to shreds for his treason to the town.

Ah throwing accusations around - I wonder why? Do you have proof of your claim ? I suspect your attempting something from the grave, but since your a dead mafia, its probably a valid assumption on my part.

Um, did you yourself not say that Orb was serial killer according to Cowhead?

Or are we still going after the 'mafia' and not Orb yet?

CR

Redleg
02-04-2007, 20:42
Oh, you! Not that that epitaph would make much sense, you know.

Anyways, what vanquished enemies should be the ones under my feet? I'm thinking of pained expressions on their faces, maybe an eye humorously bulging out.

Well since your dead - it seems your enemies have vanquished you.

Um, did you yourself not say that Orb was serial killer according to Cowhead?

Don't believe I did - you will have to show the quote that I stated that. Reference the post number also, so that we know your not attempting another fabrication.

What I have stated I is that Cowhead provided the information on Alexander and Xiahou that shows that they were involved in multiple murders - In fact Alexander's involvement is indeed with the White Glove killers as alreadly demonstrated in the thread.

The evidence for Tom_Hagen's lynching came from Jimbob.

Is it becoming hard for you to keep your lies straight - you have been telling a lot of them lately.

Or are we still going after the 'mafia' and not Orb yet?

CR

I have always been going after the mafia. If you have conclusive evidence on who the serial killer is - why don't you provide it? Or are you attempting to fish for more information? To share with your mafia friends.

Crazed Rabbit
02-04-2007, 21:51
Well since your dead - it seems your enemies have vanquished you.

Not before I vanquished some.

Is it becoming hard for you to keep your lies straight - you have been telling a lot of them lately.

Oh, you. Where did I say you posted it in this thread? There are other methods of communication. Why don't we ask cowhead?

Now, some are of course wondering why, if I really was working with Redleg, would I incriminate him? It's simple, you townies cannot win! You cannot lynch any mafia; you are disorganized and befuddled, like chickens without their heads.

I tell you this so that the agony of loosing to the mafia is longer, so you fear every night if it will be you they kill or you they call mafia and lynch in the day.

I tell you this so your anticipation of death, your fear of the inevitable, is made all the worse, worse than actual death. You will welcome the bullet that puts you out of your misery.

Crazed Rabbit

JimBob
02-04-2007, 22:02
Oh, you. Where did I say you posted it in this thread? There are other methods of communication. Why don't we ask cowhead?

Now, some are of course wondering why, if I really was working with Redleg, would I incriminate him? It's simple, you townies cannot win! You cannot lynch any mafia; you are disorganized and befuddled, like chickens without their heads.

I tell you this so that the agony of loosing to the mafia is longer, so you fear every night if it will be you they kill or you they call mafia and lynch in the day.

I tell you this so your anticipation of death, your fear of the inevitable, is made all the worse, worse than actual death. You will welcome the bullet that puts you out of your misery.

Crazed Rabbit

You have four people who are innocent to investigations. Me, Red, Pape and Luigi. Even if one of us were a Don that means that they had to convince three other other innocents who are all intelligent people. Come on, you expect us to believe that?
You're just trying to stir up the town at pit it against itself because you know you'll lose if the town focuses. Who are you worried most about? Reenk? Prole? Alexander?

Reenk Roink
02-04-2007, 22:04
That is easy - I switched mine from Tom_Hagen to attempt to kill Pinder who I suspected of being Mafia. I attempted to get Reenx to fill in for me but he did not. Something I have no problem admitting.

But I see you confirmed Tom_Hagen's Guilt in the matter, at hand.

OK Redleg, this sounds like a valid alibi, but I really want to know why it took you so long to finally decide Tom_Hagen was guilty...

I told you the reason I wouldn't protect him was because I thought he was guilty, and so I wanted to protect JimBob, but this was your case:

Sorry of the confusion - I have Jimbob on a protection mission with me, and when I was coordinating another protection mission I though it best to have you do this one.

If you wanting to do Jimbob only - I will have a problem - I don't have enough townies to cover Jimbob and Tom. Tom is a higher priority because if I can convince him that Xiahou is lying to him, he will most likely turn on Xiahou and demonstrate that I am right that Xiahou is indeed mafia.

I know its confusing as all get out - it even confuses me. But at this stage its about trust.

Oddly enough, you kinda failed to mention that you weren't doing a protection mission but a kill mission...

Again, it may be due to confusion like you said, but it also may be more suspicious than that.

I have my doubts.

Don't think that just because I have been a little slow in picking up the nuances of this game that I can be easily fooled. I've played a lot of these games...

Seamus Fermanagh
02-04-2007, 22:48
PM's concluded. Summary to follow.

Seamus Fermanagh
02-04-2007, 23:01
Night Nine Summary

The weather had cleared, but it promised to be a dark night anyway. On the home, Byzantine Knight decided to stop at the library. He paused briefly in the lobby, but then went to the secure documents section – relatively secure, and possibly the location of the information he sought.

“Are you familiar with Isandlwana?” asked a cultured voice.

Byzantine Knight was confused. “What?” he replied.

“Are you familiar with Isandlwana?”

“I'm sorry. Are you addressing me?”

Byzantine Knight didn't know the fellow standing next to him. He wasn't even sure how someone else had gotten into the secure document section of the library.

“Don't trouble yourself,” said a second voice. At that same moment Byz’ felt a sharp stabbing pain in his lower back. “Don't worry about anything.”

ByzantineKnight’s legs gave out and he found himself on the floor. The first speaker continued his earlier discussion in a calm, didactic voice.

“Isandlwana was a battle where the forces for civilization were overwhelmed by savages. Despite all their efforts the line didn't hold and barbarity had its moment in the sun.”

Byzantine Knight, was no longer listening. The pain from his lower back that had taken control of his legs from him was spreading. His nerves were on fire. The second voice became a figure that moved into his peripheral vision. He was folding up a cane with a blade attached on one end, but this barely registered. Byzantine Knight couldn’t even focus his thoughts effectively enough to yell. His whole frame was on fire.

“The perceived barbarian victory was Pyrrhic. ‘Often what is seen as a victory is not.’ The savages didn't know the judgment of history was already laid against them and that Civilization must move forward.”

The historian looked down and noted that Byzantine Knight's body convulsed a few more times and then was still.

“Quite.”

He removed a white glove and tossed it on the form lying in a deformed state of pain and walked away to join the other standing by the door. They departed quietly.

Pindar was making his way home from a late supper at “L’Aperetif,” when he heard footsteps behind him. He turned, only to behold a helmeted figure in a bright red anorak wielding a sword running up behind him.

For once, the disadvantages of a concealed holster got in the way. Pindar turned, sidestepped, and went for his gun, but not before the swordsman had slashed the shoulders of his right arm – his gun arm – with the razor sharp blade of his Kopis. The design may have been ancient, but this steel was very modern and finely honed.

The first slash clinched the fight, really, because of the damage done by that passing tear. Pindar never got the gun out – just couldn’t bring the arm high enough – and no matter how hard he fought with his fists and feet, he was no match for the short sword blows rained on him by his opponent. Each bruise or bash he gave was returned with a cut, gouge, or occasional stab – though the blade really wasn’t a stabbing weapon. Finally, weakened by repeated blows, Pindar left himself open to a viscious slash through the upper thigh.

The blade tore all the way through with great – excessive – force. Not only did it sever the artery below Pindar’s quadriceps after hacking that muscle in half, but the edge of the blade notched itself on Pindar’s femur, breaking that key bone in the process. Pindar was down and dying.

His sword waving high in the air, the winner of this one-sided brawl screamed a victory cry…

“Leonidas is avenged!”

…the effect of which was somewhat spoiled by the swordsman’s use of Attic Greek – a language not much understood outside the confines of the Fatlington Greek Historical Society.

The swordsman ran off up an alley, leaving Pindar to die. Slowly, the horrified onlookers came closer to the dying man. Even the unskilled could tell that no help would avail. Pindar whispered:

“Yet praise is overtaken of distaste, wherewith is no justice, but from covetous men it cometh, and is fain to babble against and darken the good man's noble deeds.”

No one present was quite sure what he was talking about.

Fermanagh was businesslike the next day as he addressed the mostly empty room.

"It would appear that we have been handed a victory by those mafia scum. In their attempts to take over the town, they have turned on one another with a vengeance. CountArach was a mafia leader -- a don -- though we don't know of what group. Xiahou was a made gangster. Their loss is Fatlington's gain."

He continued.

"Moros was a detective, but not a nice guy -- didn't play by the rules. He certainly wasn't part of my staff. This rogue detective may have been helping us -- or not. He will harm or help us no more. Good luck in your deliberations."

OOC

Attacked: Proletariat (N1), Sasaki Kojiro (N1), Redleg (N2), Moros (N3), theRTWGuru (N3), JimBob (N6), CountArach (N7), Ituralde (N8), Pindar (N8), Tom_Hagen (N8), Xiahou (N8)

Lynched: Kralizec (D2) [mafia don], Beirut (D3) [mafia made], pevergreen (D4) [mafia don], Lord Motep of Kendermore (D5) [townie], The Stranger (D6) [townie], Sasaki Kojiro (D7) [The Wolf], Moros (D8) [rogue detective], Tom_Hagen (D9)

Murdered: GeneralHankerchief (N1) [mafia luca], Stig (N2) [wise guy], AggonyDuck (N3) [wise guy], Major Robert Dump (N3) [mafia made], Caius Flaminius (N4) [townie], Sir Boo (N4) [wise guy], Sir Moody (N4) [townie] AndrestheCunning (N4) [wise guy], Dutch_Guy (N5) [townie], Sigurd Fafnesbane (N5) [townie], Ultrawar (N5) [townie], Crazed Rabbit (N6) [mafia made], HughTower (N6) [mafia made], Kommodus (N6) [doctor], Warluster (N6) [wise guy], Destroyer of Hope (N7) [Detective], CountArach (N8) [mafia don], Xiahou (N8) [mafia made], ByzantineKnight (N9), Pindar (N9)

Suicided: Ichigo, (D2) [townie], Tribesman (D2) [townie], Copperhaired Berzerker (N4) [townie], Peasant Phill (N5) [townie], theRTWGuru (N5) [townie], Pannonian (N6) [townie], Masy, (D7) [wise guy], Xdeathfire (D7) [wise guy]

WoGged: MarcusBrutus (D5) [townie], Hepcat (N5) [townie], Ignoramus (N5) [townie], Zalmoxis (N5) [townie], Drisos (N7) [townie]

Dead: 42, Living: 15

Voting Begins for Day 10 (lynch only). Votes due no later than 1400 EST 2/5/7.

PMs on results later tonight. Off to a 'bowl party!

Louis VI the Fat
02-04-2007, 23:34
Vote: Alexander the pretty Dead

Orb
02-04-2007, 23:36
Vote: Alexander the Pretty Good

Redleg's info seems fairly accurate so far.

Ituralde
02-04-2007, 23:40
Yup, gonna stick with my vote from last round.

Redleg
02-05-2007, 00:26
Vote: Alexander

It seems the most logical choice for now.

Orb
02-05-2007, 00:51
Votes

Alexander the Pretty Good 4 - Luigi, Orb, Ituralde, Redleg

Papewaio
02-05-2007, 00:52
Pile on the Bandwagon for teh win!

Vote: Alexander

Crazed Rabbit
02-05-2007, 01:09
Teehee, this is great!

CR

ByzantineKnight
02-05-2007, 04:31
I'm dead!! No!!!

Cowhead418
02-05-2007, 04:50
Vote: Alexander the Pretty Good.

I think we've won, lady and gents. In case anyone was wondering, here are my previous investigation results:

CountArach = Innocent

Ituralde = Innocent

No Role Information this time.

JimBob
02-05-2007, 05:35
Tonight's Investigations

doc_bean = innocent

Reenk Roink = Criminal

CountArach
02-05-2007, 06:23
Awww... my cover is blown! How dare you guys presume to kill of a mafia Don!

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-05-2007, 07:55

Ironside
02-05-2007, 08:58
No new information to act on from our detectives so:

It's starts to look good, much less attacks now. :2thumbsup:

doc_bean
02-05-2007, 11:53
vote: Alexander the pretty good

Moros
02-05-2007, 17:40
You see I was the bloody detective?
Pah!

Pindar
02-05-2007, 18:21
I'm dead. :skull:

At least I had a good last line:

“Yet praise is overtaken of distaste, wherewith is no justice, but from covetous men it cometh, and is fain to babble against and darken the good man's noble deeds.”

Sasaki Kojiro
02-05-2007, 19:37
haha, I told you guys to lynch CountArach.

Seamus Fermanagh
02-05-2007, 20:18
Voting Concluded.

Is this the real life, is this just fantasy
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me
-- Queen

Sunset Day Ten

JimBob sat in the chair previously occupied by Redleg. The guards were somewhat reduced – only two flanking him instead of the usual four.

“We will begin the final balloting for day ten.”

The small group filed forward one by one to lodge their votes. When the votes had been totaled, JimBob stood.

“The person whom we have decided to be guilty shall be hanged by the neck until dead from the scaffold on the boardwalk below. That person is Alexander the Pretty Good.”

Alexander went for his weapons, hoping that with only two guards he could best Moros’ performance and fight his way free of the room. He never had a chance. There were four guards. The other pair were waiting at the room’s entrance – shotguns in hand – for just this possibility. They kicked open the doors and fired at Alex’s back before Alex could get off his first shot.

Alex went down like he’d been stunned with a hammer. Regardless of the body armor under his suit-coat two loads of buckshot at 20 feet was a lot of impact to absorb. Before he could begin to move, Alex was pinioned and handcuffed.

He was taken to the scaffold below – it had been improvised from a train station mailbag catch-pole – the noose tied and his body swung out over the sands below the boardwalk. He danced and kicked for a few minutes, then hung still. Shortly thereafter his body voided itself.

The moon was just rising – silhouetting Alex’s grisly corpse – when the committee turned away. They had not even reached their cars when the first gulls landed on the swinging corpse.

OOC

Lynched: Kralizec (D2) [mafia don], Beirut (D3) [mafia made], pevergreen (D4) [mafia don], Lord Motep of Kendermore (D5) [townie], The Stranger (D6) [townie], Sasaki Kojiro (D7) [The Wolf], Moros (D8) [Rogue Detective], Tom_Hagen (D9), Alexander the Pretty Good (D10)

Murdered: GeneralHankerchief (N1) [mafia luca], Stig (N2) [wise guy], AggonyDuck (N3) [wise guy], Major Robert Dump (N3) [mafia made], Caius Flaminius (N4) [townie], Sir Boo (N4) [wise guy], Sir Moody (N4) [townie] AndrestheCunning (N4) [wise guy], Dutch_Guy (N5) [townie], Sigurd Fafnesbane (N5) [townie], Ultrawar (N5) [townie], Crazed Rabbit (N6) [mafia made], HughTower (N6) [mafia made], Kommodus (N6) [doctor], Warluster (N6) [wise guy], Destroyer of Hope (N7) [Detective], CountArach (N8) [mafia don], Xiahou (N8) [mafia made], ByzantineKnight (N9), Pindar (N9)

Dead: 43, Living: 14. The casualty rate now exceeds 75%.

PM’s for Night Ten are now being accepted. These PM’s must be accepted no later than 1400 HRS EST 2/6/7. Thanks.

Moros
02-05-2007, 20:49
So who's left, if I may ask?

Seamus Fermanagh
02-05-2007, 21:37
Fatlington Vigilance Committee Members Still Living:

Big King Sanctaphrax
Cowhead 418
doc_bean
Ironside
Ituralde
JimBob
Kagemusha
Luig VI di Fatlington
Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
Orb
Papewaio
Proletarait
Redleg
Reenk Roink

Moros
02-05-2007, 21:51
Thanks Seamus.

Big King Sanctaphrax
Cowhead 418
doc_bean
Ironside
Ituralde
JimBob
Kagemusha
Luig VI di Fatlington
Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
Orb
Papewaio
Proletarait
Redleg
Reenk Roink

So the town might win after all. Glad you're dead Pindar, gliad you're dead.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 19:48
Tis quiet in Fatlington this night, tis it not?

Louis VI the Fat
02-06-2007, 19:54
It is rather, isn't it?

Well, with the last tin mafia member ByzantineKnight now dead, all we are left with is tracking down the last of the Barzini's.

I suppose it's time for some action again:

Say, Big King Sanctaphrax, what have you been up to lately? Just curious...:sweatdrop:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 20:06
ByzantineKnight, tin mafia? Nah, he was working with me.

Louis VI the Fat
02-06-2007, 20:10
ByzantineKnight, tin mafia? Nah, he was working with me.He was working for you. :balloon2:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 20:16
Ah it fits. Redleg placed me in contact with him for an assault on Xiahou as he was working with CountArach for that purpose. Obviously ByzantineKnight was the made and CountArach was the don and they were plotting to kill Xiahou as he was rival mafia. When it was changed to Pindar he agreed too. It is evident that Pindar was not Tin Star and was either town or a member of another mafia. I trusted him though, I have no idea why I didn't abandon him when Redleg (or was it you lugi) told me about CountArach now being a mafia suspect because of his strange reply claiming that he was already targeting, which fits, as dons cannot kill/protect. Damn my stupidity. They were using me or at least they tried too! If ByzantineKnight wasn't GMT +7 then I would have realised as a tin star would have dropped the star at the scene of Pindar's death, luckily he didn't manage to join in.

Moros
02-06-2007, 20:30
Reenk Roink, perhaps?

:walks back to his grave:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 20:32
Don't worry Moros, he is probably going to be today's lynchee.

Pannonian
02-06-2007, 20:38
Don't worry Moros, he is probably going to be today's lychee.
I'm sure Reenk would prefer to be a pineapple.

Lychee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychee)

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 20:45
:oops:

Sorry, typo. I have edited it and fixed it and surgically replaced the spelling mistake. Sorry...

Moros
02-06-2007, 20:47

Roflmao!

laugh at: Omanes
~;)

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 20:48
All I have to say in my defence is :gah2: and look at the user name.

Pindar
02-06-2007, 20:49

I love Lychee. I think they taste better than pineapple.

Moros
02-06-2007, 21:36
I love Lychee. I think they taste better than pineapple.
~:wacko:
But pineapples are crunchy... :tomato:

Louis VI the Fat
02-06-2007, 21:40
Why do you all say that Reenk Roink is a fruit? :no:

Don't worry Moros, he is probably going to be today's lyncheeDid you perhaps mean that Reenk Roink is this towns' leechee? :sweatdrop:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-06-2007, 21:42
Now guys let's get :focus: before I go red with embarrassment at what I have started :embarassed:

Andres
02-06-2007, 22:36
Reenk Roink, perhaps?

:walks back to his grave:

*** AndresTheCunnings' corpse slaps Moros's dead body. Some murmuring can be heard: first he kills me, now he disturbs me in my eternal sleep. Gah! And where is Proletariat? Why is she still alive? ***

Papewaio
02-06-2007, 23:18
I would rather die by lychee then pineapple... ouch... :sweatdrop:

Seamus Fermanagh
02-06-2007, 23:41
Running Late. Will Post shortly. RL intervenes!

Seamus Fermanagh
02-06-2007, 23:53
Night Ten Summary

Many were tense, but the most unexpected of things happened…nothing.

After a long dark couple of weeks, the stars shone again on Fatlington. The air was clear and cold, and the only sound to disturb the night was the relentless susurrus of the surf.

The next morning, Chief Fermanagh was positively beaming as he made the morning reports on the deceased.

“We’re winning folks…and I think the tide has turned. Tom_Hagen was either a Made Gangster just like those other thugs. Removing him was an excellent move for our town.”

“Moreover, we’ve discovered that both of those murdered that evening were mafia gangsters. Pindar was a made gangster with a sinister reputation and ByzantineKnight was what those gansters call a Luca – the special protector of a Don.”

“You’ve done well, now help end this scourge for good!”

Fermanagh paused, thinking about his audience a bit. Three faces who should have been there were absent…

Orb was, at that moment, seated on a northbound train. He was traveling under the name of Leon Spartan. His luggage included several large steamer trunks. He had no plans to return.

A hundred or so miles to the South – and well outside of the 12-mile limit – a pair of figures stared wistfully behind them as the sea swallowed the wake of the tramp freighter taking them to Havana.

“There's something Promethean about having a smoke. Manipulating fire, ash and fumes with one's finger tips,” mused Proletariat, staring at the graceful plume of smoke from her cigarette as it rose to be whisked away by the Atlantic winds. “But not all things are manipulated so easily…”

“True enough, Donna,” said Reenk Roink. “Yet we came so close.”

“Events turned against us,” said Proletariat with a shrug. “It seemed prudent to shift to Havana. After all, that’s where Charlie is now.”

“Do you think The Commission is done with Fatlington, Donna Barzini?”

“For the time being, my Luca, for the time being...”

OOC

Game concluded.

Townie Win. :bow:

Congratulations to all players for a marvelous game! Write-ups will follow in due course. First a List of the Players with roles and events, then discussion.

Proletariat
02-07-2007, 00:00
Fun game, even with a lulling end. Sorry to everyone I shamelessly lied to!

Kagemusha
02-07-2007, 00:08
Great game Seamus.:2thumbsup: All i can say that i was out there completely in this game. And sorry about my outburst on Saturday night all i can say is that im ashamed. It really didnt have anything to do with this game or any Orgahs, more with being drunk and stress from personal life.Sorry.:shame:

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 00:19
Great game! This one will go down in history for sure.

HughTower
02-07-2007, 00:20
Fantastic game to start off my Mafia career. Great fun, beautifully written, & sensibly moderated - WD Seamus.

Well played Townies - good organisation (Redleg & luigi?) won the day.

In hindsight, what would have won it for a Mafia family? I think it would have required recruiting the majority of the wiseguys early on, killing townies first, & then using the weight of numbers against the other families.

Redleg
02-07-2007, 00:30
In hindsight, what would have won it for a Mafia family? I think it would have required recruiting the majority of the wiseguys early on, killing townies first, & then using the weight of numbers against the other families.

Most likely that would of been the better course. If the families would of gotten together to destroy the town - there would of been three deaths each night - with the recruitment of wiseguys - you would have been able to increase the kill numbers after getting some of them made to even more.

Crazed Rabbit
02-07-2007, 00:42
My Memoirs:

Well, looks like I got the short end of the stick, survival wise, amoung my original family.

I was the made for the Barzinis, killed GH, and helped in the murder of everyone else killed by the white gloves until my death.

Anyways:
We killed people, recruited some, and were going merrily along until GH came out and screwed us over. Thanks.

The End.

CR

Proletariat
02-07-2007, 00:44
As Donna Barzini, my goal was to destroy the other families along with the town. There was no way for us to collude. The easiest way for our family to have won would've been to ask GH to put a sock in it.

Our strong point early on was also our down fall. The five of us banded together for a better Fatlington, and made a pact not to speak of it to anyone at all. Eventually we figured we could trust AtPG, but once CR was killed, we were going down like dominoes. The fact that we somehow got the town to look away from me and Reenk was no easy feat, and some thanks goes to a few non-Barzinis for that, who can come forward if they like.

We were so steadfast in our exclusivity, which kept us from being betrayed from within (like what happened to the other two families) it was too hard once we started dieing to get any new blood in the late game to try and get some more kills.

I was pretty frustrated about GH blasting Reenk, CR and me after he was dead (lolz@the town for griping about the same thing that gave them their biggest lead on the Barzinis), but then again, that was when the game became alot of fun. Before that it seemed like we were just cruising to a victory, all of a sudden we were really fighting for it.

Definately one for the ages, was a really fun few weeks where I was compulsively checking my phone at work to see the latest game posts and PMs

Xiahou
02-07-2007, 01:19
Definitely a fun game, and masterfully written and run Seamus. :bow:

I think the setup made the game very challenging for the mafia with 2 other families to kill off, plus the entire town and all the detectives getting 2 investigations per turn.

That's not to say it was totally impossible, hindsight being what it is, I think we could've been a little more choosy in our kills and possibly making some faux attacks against each other during the day phases may have helped as well. Of course, a reveal made things very uncomfortable for us as well. In the end, as is often the case, it came down mostly to luck. If prole hadn't been attacked in round 1 and if we had gotten a lucky kill in on a detective or so, things would've looked at least a little better. Maybe next time. :skull:

Kralizec
02-07-2007, 01:21
So Proletariat was Donna Barzini eh? Oh well.

GeneralHankerchief
02-07-2007, 01:30
Wow.

Incredible game, major kudos to Seamus for running this thing. :bow:

I do apologize to the Barzini family for kind of ruining everything, my motives were previously explained. Rather lame, I know. But the two people I named did survive. Hope that faked chatlog helped.

Csargo
02-07-2007, 01:35
I told you all it was fake.

Seamus Fermanagh
02-07-2007, 01:44
For those of you who never quite had this calculated...and those who did.

The Players

AggonyDuck – Started as a Wise Guy – No Role Change – Murdered (N3) by Orb.

Alexander the Pretty Good – Started as a Wise Guy – Joined Barzini Family (N3) – Became Made Gangster (D6) – Murdered MRD (N3), Moody (N4), Dutch (N5), HughT (N6), Destro (N7), ByzK (N9), Missed Ituralde (N8); Lynched (D10).

Banquo’s Ghost – Started as a Townie – No Role Change – Suicided (D5).

Beirut – Started as a Made Gangster (Tataglia) – No Role Change – Lynched (D3).

Big King Sanctaphrax – Started as a Townie – No Role Change – Surviving Winner.

ByzantineKnight – Started as Luca (Tataglia) – No Role Change – Murdered Ultrawar (N5), Crazed Rabbit (N6), Missed Caius (N4), Xiahou (N8); Murdered (N9) by AtPG & Pindar.

Caius Flaminius – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Murdered (N4) by Andres, Arach & HughT.

Copperhaired Berzerker – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Suicided (N4).

CountArach – Started as a Wise Guy – Joined Tataglia Family (D5), Made Gangster (N6), Don Tataglia (D7); Murdered Caius (N4), Ultrawar (N5), Rabbit (N6), Missed Sasaki (N1), Redleg (N2), Xiahou (N8) – Murdered (N8) by Pindar & Hagen.

Cowhead 418 – Started as a FBI Detective – Townie (D10) – Surviving Winner.

Crazed Rabbit – Started as Made Gangster (Barzini) – No Role Change – Murdered General (N1), Stig (N2), Boo (N4), Sigurd (N5), Kommo (N6); Attacked Moros (N3) – Murdered (N6) by ByzK, Arach & HughT.

Destroyer of Hope – Started as Detective – No Role Change – Murdered (N7) by Alex, Hagen & Xiahou.

Doc_bean – Started as Doctor – Surgeon (N8) – Saved Sasaki (N1), Redleg (w/ group), Ituralde (N8) – Surviving Winner.

Drisos – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Wogged (N7).

Dutch_Guy – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Murdered (N5) by Alex & Xiahou.

General Hankerchief – Started as Luca (Corleone) – No Role Change – Murdered (N1) by Rabbit, Hagen & Pindar.

Hepcat – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Wogged (N5).

HughTower – Started as a Wise Guy – Joined Tataglia Family (Family (D5), Made Gangster (N6) – Murdered Caius (N4), Ultrawar (N5), Rabbit (N6), Missed Sasaki (N1), Redleg (N2) – Murdered (N6) by Alex & Xiahou

Ichigo – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Suicided (D2).

Ignoramus – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Wogged (N5).

Ironside – Started as Townie – Became Doctor (N6) – Saved Redleg (N2) & JimBob (N6) – Surviving Winner.

Ituralde – Started as Doctor – Became Surgeon (N2) – Saved Sasaki (N1) & Redleg (N2) – Surviving Winner.

JimBob – Started as Townie – Became Detective (D6) to replace Guru – Surviving Winner.

Kagemusha – Started as Wise Guy – No Role Change – Missed Jimbob (N6), mostly attempted protections – Survivor.

Kommodus – Started as Townie – Became Doctor (N6) – Saved Redleg (N2), JimBob (N6) both with groups – Murdered (N6) by Rabbit & Pindar.

Kralizec (Fenrig) – Started as Don Tataglia – No Role Change – Lynched (D2).

Luigi VI di Fatlington – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Saved JimBob (N6) w/ group, Missed Pindar (N8) – Surviving Winner.

Major Robert Dump – Started as Made Gangster (Corleone) – No Role Change – Murdered (N3) by Alex and Xiahou.

MarcusBrutus – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Wogged (N5).

Masy – Started as Wise Guy – No Role Change – Suicided (D7).

Moros – Started as Rogue Detective – No Role Change – Murdered Andres (N4) – Lynched (D8).

Lord Motep of Kendermore – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Lynched (D5).

Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Murdered Andres (N4), Saved JimBob (N6) – Surviving Winner.

Orb – Started as Serial Killer – No Role Change – Murdered AggonyDuck (N3), Ultrawar (N6), Xiahou (N8), Pindar (N9) – Identity revealed (D9?), Escaped.

Pannonian – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Suicide (N6).

Papewaio – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Surviving Winner.

Peasant Phil – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Suicide (N5).

pevergreen – Started as Don Corleone – No Role Change – Lynched (D4).

Pindar – Started as Wise Guy – Joined Barzini Family (N1), Made Gangster (N4) – Murdered Hankerchief (N1), Stig (N2), Boo (N4), Sigurd (N5), Kommo (N6), Arach (N8), ByzK (N9); Attacked Moros (N3), Arach (N7) – Murdered by Orb (N9).

Proletariat – Started as Donna Barzini – No Role Change – Escaped.

Redleg – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Saved JimBob (N6), Missed Pindar (N8) – Surviving Winner.

Reenk Roink – Started as Luca (Barzini) – No Role Change – Murdered Arach (N7), Missed Hagen (N8) – Escaped.

Sasaki Kojiro – Started as The Wolf – No Role Change – Lynched (D7).

Sigurd Fafnesbane – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Murdered (N5) by Rabbit & Pindar.

Sir Boo – Started as Wise Guy – No Role Change – Murdered Caius (N4), Missed Sasaki (N1), Redleg (N2), Guru (N3) – Murdered (N4) by Rabbit & Pindar.

Sir Moody – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Missed Sasaki (N1) – Murdered (N4) by Alex and Xiahou.

Stig – Started as Wise Guy – No Role Change – Murdered (N2) by Rabbit, Pindar & Xiahou.

The Stranger – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Murdered Andres (N4) – Lynched (D6).

TheRTWGuru – Started as Detective – No Role Change – Suicided (N5).

Tom_Hagen – Started as Wise Guy – Joined Barzini Family (N1), Made Gangster (N8) – Murdered Hankerchief (N1), Destro (N7), Arach (N8) – Lynched (D9).

Tribesman – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Suicided (D2).

Ultrawar – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Murdered (N5) by ByzK, Arach & HughT.

Warluster – Started as Wise Guy – No Role Change – Murdered Andres (N4), Saved Moros (N3) w/ Group – Murdered (N6) by Orb.

Xdeathfire – Started as Wise Guy – No Role Change – Suicided (D7).

Xiahou – Started as Wise Guy – Joined Barzini Family (N2), Made Gangster (N4) – Murdered Stig (N2), MRD (N3), Moody (N4), Dutch (N5), HughT (N6), Destro (N7), Missed Ituralde (N8) – Murdered (N8) by Orb.

Zalmoxis – Started as Townie – No Role Change – Wogged (N5).

AndrestheCunning – Added as Wise Guy (D3) – No Role Change – Murdered Caius (N4) – Murdered (N4) by Moros, Omanes, The Stranger & Warluster.

Other summary write-up to follow...but not tonight.

Kralizec
02-07-2007, 01:55
Wait, so CountArach got killed because ByzantineKnight (Luca) was busy doing something else?

How sloppy...

Then again, not as sloppy as I was ~D

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 01:57
Interesting. Seems I was a popular night one choice.

I guess Kralizec's scheme paid off somewhat with those recruits.

Must have been tough trying to win as a serial killer.

Louis VI the Fat
02-07-2007, 02:00
Ah, a great one for my first mafia game. Thrilling to the last. Ever since GH's reveal I have been swaying back and forth between believing Proletariat or not. Never had any contact with RR. So it really was the Konservative Klub after all...

For me, the lynching of Moros gave the white gloves away, much more so than the revelation of GH, from which the Barzini's made a good comeback I thought. If they would've let Pindar swing, they might still have won. We were having major doubts about Pindar already, sacrificing him with a faked indiference could've meant a mafia win.

The four warring families made it easier for the town. With the benefit of hindsight, less inter-mafia feuding could have spelled this town's doom. The townies for their part were very hampered by the suicide of some twelve townspeople - half of us. Why do people only want to play as mafia? Townie roles rule! So much less to worry and lie about...

Crazed Rabbit - it was an educated guess. But what a lucky shot it was...:biggrin:

A special hello to Tom_Hagen, who fooled me for most of the game but who hopefully still believes my role was that of Polar Bear. ~;p

Pevergreen, have you ever seen the movie The Sixth Sense? There's this moment when Bruce Willis sees a wedding ring fall, and suddenly he realises that everything he took to be reality is not. I had this same sensation after reading your simple PM after you got lynched: 'Sasaki really is the Wolf'. In an instant, everything fell into place.

Orb - your help at the last stages was crucial for the town victory. So you were the Anakin Skywalker of this saga after all. Surely even a person with your, uh...'occupation' can redeem himself by choosing the light side of the force? By all means, you're a welcome part of the townie jubilation.

To my partners who have fallen: Stig, Kommodus, Moros, even The Stranger - you've been avenged. A salute to Pannonian, who was driven to despair and sacrificed himself for the town. To my partner Omanes, and to my guardian angel Ironside, we made it to the end together, a big thanks to both of you. An a hooray to my fellow townies! :balloon2:

Thanks to Seamus for hosting this game and for keeping up with us. I don't know how this one compares to other games, but I thought it was a total blast! :bow:

My final words must be reserved for my main man and good friend Redleg: we won buddy!

Cowhead418
02-07-2007, 02:56
Great game, and great win by the town, though it sucks to end the game being fired from my spot as FBI Detective (Filthy Bureau, if only they realized I was working in the best interests of the town. All they care about is their "reputation." Gah. They will rue this day). For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is a significant piece of information that I purposely left off my role PM:

You also have a special task: identify and cause to be lynched the serial killer. Unfortunately, since this killer escaped from an FBI facility, the bureau does NOT authorize you to discuss this with anyone else – make this embarrassment go away quietly.

I was fired due to this violation. When I showed Redleg the PM I received from Seamus revealing Orb as the serial killer, I was unintentionally breaking the rules (I thought it wasn't strictly forbidden - a misunderstanding and a big mistake on my part). Incidentally, this backfired for me (but helped the town) because Redleg and Luigi enlisted Orb's help for the final few rounds in destroying the final remnants of the mafia. Though he was crucial in the town victory, he escaped, I got fired, and the FBI are left with a monumental embarassment. Ah well, I might as well celebrate the town victory (and my unemployment) with a few drinks, eh? ~:cheers:

Pannonian
02-07-2007, 03:04
The pevergreen affair
or Why I committed suicide

As some of us will have found out, the rules forbid the use of screenshots. When pevergreen was lynched, he sent a certain screenshot to The Stranger, who then shared it with Redleg. This breach of rules, combined with the subject matter, severely annoyed Seamus, who privately threatened to shut the game down if it happened again, and publicly delivered a warning to The Stranger (N5). After this there was a lull.

Then, on post #1687, pevergreen made the following post.

They can be lynched on the day they are being replaced, in other cases, we dont know.

General Question: (I want to be clear about game mechanics) Each mafia family has a wolf and then there is 'the wolf' so there would be four wolves? Is this correct? Wolves are investigators and protectors of bad guys only or can they perform hits? Also, is there a difference in investigative power between a wolf and a detective/FBI guy?

There is one Wolf. Friend of ALL mafia.

All the info i got on what they can do combined from Sasaki and Seamus is:

Wolf can protect MAFIA from investigations, making it appear they turn innocent. BUT IF THEY DO THAT, the mafia family owes the Wolf a favour, which the Don MUST honour, unless it involves something blantantly stupid like killing your own luca.

The Screenshot business is TS fault, and i can see why Seamus didnt allow it.

It is irreputable(sp?) proof that Sasaki is The Wolf..how? It was a screenshot of my Role PM. Ive still got it.

As you can see, this was a reference to the screenshot, spelling out just what the screenshot contained. At a time when Sasaki's survival was in the balance, pevergreen once again flouted the rules by referring to inadmissable evidence. Since Seamus had already made it clear that he was annoyed by the previous breach of the rules, this made the information about the Wolf incontrovertible. This was potentially game-breaking stuff (as later proved to be the case), so the sooner it was removed the better. Then what next?

I couldn't do anything about The Stranger and Redleg (the people who saw the screenshot), but I could do something about me and pevergreen. I would remove myself from the game to avoid prejudicing it with unfairly gained information, while I would warn pevergreen to be silent for the remainder of the game, lest he should make any more posts like this.

Here are my PMs to Seamus and pevergreen.

To Seamus

Pevergreen wrote a post saying that The Stranger's screenshot was of his role PM saying Sasaki was the Wolf. Now I understand this may be game breaking, so I'm killing myself in the next night phase. I've reported the post, and it has been removed, although you may wish to check with BKS, who was the only mod on duty, whether or not he should follow me out of the game for the same reason. PM pevergreen telling him not to post or communicate again until the game is finished (I've already done so).

I'm going to continue pressing for TS' lynching as a vigilante, but I'm not going to make any other arguments, and once night comes I won't be communicating any more with the players. If you PM me with a list of the roles ahead of the end it'll make watching from the sidelines more interesting.

Pevergreen wrote a post saying that The Stranger's screenshot was of his role PM saying Sasaki was the Wolf. Now I understand this may be game breaking, so I'm killing myself in the next night phase. I've reported the post, and it has been removed, although you may wish to check with BKS, who was the only mod on duty, whether or not he should follow me out of the game for the same reason. PM pevergreen telling him not to post or communicate again until the game is finished (I've already done so).

I'm going to continue pressing for TS' lynching as a vigilante, but I'm not going to make any other arguments, and once night comes I won't be communicating any more with the players. If you PM me with a list of the roles ahead of the end it'll make watching from the sidelines more interesting.

Your withdrawal from the game is not necessary. I have enjoyed your play and hope you will continue with it.

If you would prefer to lurk for a time, and confirm that I/others have returned this game to an appropriate path, I would appreciate it. It represents quite an investment of my time.
I was going to go after Sasaki sooner or later, for the reasons stated in the thread. However, with this knowledge, if I do go after him now I can't be persuaded that he's innocent, while if I don't go after him I'll be acting against my role. Hence I think my suicide is the best option for the game, once I've lynched The Stranger. Hopefully the scores will be close enough that I can switch votes and tie Redleg and The Stranger together (literally).

To pevergreen

Please remove post 1687 now before anyone else sees it, and I'm suiciding next round after having seen it. Please don't ruin the game for everyone else. And don't post again until the game is over.

Don't let word of the post or this discussion leak out, or you'll ruin the game for others as you've ruined it for me. Just say nothing about it to anyone, and if anyone tries to talk to you about the game, say Seamus has told you to be silent for the rest of the game. Don't look for further loopholes whereby you can still marginally participate. From now on, just watch, don't say anything, or Seamus will just shut the game down.

So I closed out the round by continuing the argument I was making before I saw that post, albeit with rather more vigour than I would otherwise have done. In the next night phase I sent in orders for my suicide. Unfortunately, Sasaki couldn't make much of the extra breathing space I gained for him, as the information about the Wolf was already in the open, and Redleg was determined to nail him.

So Luigi, Redleg, if I was somewhat curt in my response to your asking me to join a protection group, and later to put you in touch with any confirmed townies, this was why. And TS, Moros, if I was a tad savage in my attack on you, this was why.

To conclude: my suicide had nothing to do with proving my innocence. If I later put my towniness on the stake, that was because TS was stupid enough to raise the issue of the bargain.

Pindar
02-07-2007, 03:08
I was the last to die, but my Donna escaped. Therefore my death was not in vain. I think I killed more than any other in Fatlington.

I do think the GH reveal is what cost us victory. It forced us into a defensive posture from which we never recovered. The dead should be dead and not be allowed to post information. It is a flaw in the game. Otherwise its pretty fun.

Redleg
02-07-2007, 03:11
My final words must be reserved for my main man and good friend Redleg: we won buddy!

Yes indeed - and learned a few valuable Mafia game skills for the next game.

Motep
02-07-2007, 03:36
wow...so the famous Cdtc has come to an end. I cant beleive the town won. Nice work! :2thumbsup:

Crazed Rabbit
02-07-2007, 04:09
Ya, the rules favored the town.

*sigh*

Oh well, I'll just wait for the next CdTC. Then...

Louis, had we known CountArach was a don, we could've let poor Prole take one for the team and elect a new don, or let Pindar go down. But we got screwed.

CR

Papewaio
02-07-2007, 04:17
Phew.

I couldn't participate on weekends... as I promise the wife to minimum PC activity on the weekend. So I almost got WoGged and I almost got lynched because the assumption was that I might be Mafia.

I decided after a couple of days to make an assumption that Redleg was an active townie who knew what he was doing. I also made sure that I would track what he was doing because he could just have easily been a Don.

I decided to go wingman and have him lead my protection missions. I was worried that I was helping a mafia family.

But I figured that as a townie I would have a better chance against one family then 3. And at least I could possibly get the group lynched at the end if there was enough townies left.

Although right to the end I though it might have been myself being lynched by Red and his mafia family. Luckily for myself he was the lynch pin for success not for my lynching.

Alexander the Pretty Good
02-07-2007, 05:07
We should have done away with Orb. He turned on us at the end...

Epic game, guys. :2thumbsup:

Kommodus
02-07-2007, 05:14
You mean... it's over??? :dizzy2:

Sorry I didn't participate more - I'm still on a break from mafia due to lack of time - but I still check in sometimes just to see what's going on. Please forgive my ignorance, but... why is it over again? Proletariat and Reenk Roink were still alive, so why did they leave town?

Anyway...

This was indeed an excellent game, supremely confusing and highly interactive. Kudos to Seamus Fermanagh for the excellent hosting! Your ideas were truly unique, and this has undoubtedly been the most vibrant mafia game the Org has seen! I gotta say, not half bad for your first game. ~;)

ByzantineKnight
02-07-2007, 07:01
Lol, our family had the worst luck, first Kralizec then Beriut, then we go through the trouble to get Andres, Hugh Tower, and CountArach to join, and they are all killed...

Good Job Town!!

pevergreen
02-07-2007, 07:48
Bah!

After GH got whammied, it kind of went downhill.

Turns out i was right to not trust Sasaki.

Without doubt, the best mafia game i have seen.

CountArach
02-07-2007, 08:04
lol, the Tataglia's had such bad luck, as BK said...

I'm a bit scratchy on teh details of before I joined them, but basically I was elevated to Don, with the chance of reviving the family, only to see HughTower killed on that very day, giving no chance for us to kill, unless I went solo...

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-07-2007, 08:10
Well done everybody and thanks for hosting the game Seamus!

Warluster
02-07-2007, 08:17
Yay! We won, but, i have to say a few words, At the start of felt like a little hatchling, and wanted to join the mafia, but I spoke with AggonyDuck on the Chat and he persuaded me to join in with his Protection group. Now to be honest, i didn't really want to join, as I wanted to be an mafia, but i joined anyway (What the heck) but soon after TS contacted me, asking to join his group, anyway, it sounded cool, and I joined, we later off killed Andres, which was good move, (nah-nah na nah-nah) and we protected Moros, but soon after Ts was lycnhed, I gave uip hope after that, but went on anyway, eventually I think I mouted off to much, with those Pm's to Sasaki, and Orb Killed me.

Anyway, good game, probaly the best I ahve played (Hey, i've only played 6 of them) Good game !

Alexander the Pretty Good
02-07-2007, 08:43
Seamus - I dearly hope you are interested in another game sometime? Though I can only imagine it's been exhausting for you. Thanks again. :medievalcheers:

Crazed Rabbit
02-07-2007, 08:50
Where are my manners?

Seamus, I've said it before and I'll say it again; this was a great game, and many thanks for bringing it about.

CR

CountArach
02-07-2007, 09:31
Oh yeah, I forgot my manners as well. Thanks Seamus! Best...game...ever

Ituralde
02-07-2007, 09:37
Awesome game! Thanks go to Seamus Fermanagh for hosting this.
Now I can finally delete all of the PMs I tediously saved. :beam:

I really liked this game, being a doctor for a change. I couldn't beleive my luck that I managed to get promoted by the earliest time possible. Too bad I have not managed to get lucky again. I would have so liked to kill an attacker!
Besides luck, Kommodus missend of a PM, if this is really to be beleived, really helped me to get in touch with a few doctors. So I was pretty certain to the end that the town could make it. Even if it was just three townies left in the end circle-protecting each other. :2thumbsup:

Ironside
02-07-2007, 09:46
And here I was planning to trying to get Proletariat lynched by safety reasons and lack of other good lynch targets... RR showing up criminal and prole innocent= potential luca and donna, as they were accused of. Poor defense on thier part earlier when accused also made me suspicious. Ahh, well Townie victory!!! :2thumbsup: ~:cheers:

Was contacted on night 2 by Kommodus to form a protection group on Redleg, who was then going public with his analysis. The other member was doc_bean.
When we had our successful save on Redleg, I was going on the principle that both were trustworthy (I'm still not certain if the dons can be in successful protection groups). Then doc_bean started to act a bit wierd and wanted to split up the group, but as I already considered him trustworthy, I didn't think that much of it. During this time Kommodus accidently sent a mail to Ituralde, so we decided to ask him to join us.

Then Ituralde revealed that he was now a surgeon and seeing the mail on Redleg's protection made us certain that he was correct. He was purifying the soup while we switched the wine (wrong comp to see the old mails).

Surgeon = very important role so me and Kommodus decided to protect Ituralde and came in contact with Jimbob and Luigi. During this time I contacted doc again to see which persons he was in contact with, and then he revealed his role as a doctor. Doctors doesn't get protection points for being in groups which explained his earlier behavior. Was in semi-regular contact with doc_bean for the rest of the game, mostly discussion protection targets.
So out of 3 contacted people, Kommodus contacted 2 doctors... He as mafia is lethal :sweatdrop:

Our 4 men protection group made a few failed attemts, when Jimbob contacted us and asked for protection. As we didn't have any other good potential targets we agreed and did appearently nothing...
A save on Jimbob and no mail. So when we asked about it to Seamus, we got the responce that Kommodus hadn't sent in his mail and that the mail had bounced on luigi's PM-box (appearently bounces for all then). That really didn't make any sence and was highly confusing as well hadd gotten copies of Kommodus' mail, until Seamus later gave us a success, as he had missed the Kommodus' mail. If another group hadn't protected Jimbob that night, this would have been very wierd :dizzy2: (oh it was in reality Jimbob's secret twin that was killed this night :idea2: ). Here I got promoted to doctor, but our group had also been wounded by the loss of Kommodus.

After this I ended up on CR:s list of potential tin star mafia, so after this recent role change I decided that protection could be good, so I asked for Ituralde's protection, whom I'm not sure knew of me a the time. Kommodus might not have revealed my name as doc_bean didn't want to reveal his. Anyway, I forgot to tell Luigi about it so he searched for my protection. The night after I was the only untouched person on that list, 2 dead, 1 attacked. CR:s comments on protection and Tom_Hagen's revealing of knowing that luigi searched people for my protection, made me suspicious of a leaking to the mafia.
And as I had surgeon protection, attacks on me was very preferable. Trying to paint a small target on my back, while not appearing protected was hard, tried to do it by not responding on being on the list.

So the next night I asked Luigi to not fix it, even asked me to semi-frame me (my contact with our proven innocent townie Kommodus was enough to clear me from any suspicion if I was in danger of being lynched), as I asked for Ituralde's protection again. Ituralde asked me to return the favour, but then I already had gotten a mail from doc_bean were he said that Ituralde was protected by him and now we had 2 surgeons. Ituradle cowered me by his own inititive for the rest of the game.

I revealed myself as it was starting to get into the endgame and to clear myself from the list, but I didn't want to mention my field promotion as I would make me a bit too obvious target. It was also to give Luigi a chance to clear himself from the accusations of being a don/luca with Redleg. Tom_Hagen must really have felt himself dead after that. :smash:

So I had very little information as the only information provider was Luigi, but the best protection network in the game, especially at the end. ~D

Thanks for a great (but time-consuming :inquisitive: ) game Seamus! :2thumbsup:

Andres
02-07-2007, 09:51
Lol, our family had the worst luck, first Kralizec then Beriut, then we go through the trouble to get Andres, Hugh Tower, and CountArach to join, and they are all killed...

Good Job Town!!

It was great fun to blackmail both HughTower and you to force you to join "the Dark Side" ~;)

Tattiglia family had bad luck. Kralizecs pm's were a brilliant idea, but unfortunately the text analysis killed him. I think it would have worked if he a) had chosen somebody else, i.e. not Dutch speaking b) let that other one write the message; but still, it was a very nice try and I enjoyed my non-participating participation alot.

Afterwards Seamus put an invitation in his write-up after Kralizec's dead. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. As a token of my gratitude towards Kralizec for introducing me to this great game, I tried to revive his family, but alas...

As for Donna Barzini Proletariat: I told you from the beginning of my participation to lynch her! Why didn't you listen? Not that it would have helped the town that much, but it certainly would have served the Tattaglia's intrests *sigh*

Well, I must say THANK YOU SEAMUS for this great experience ~:cheers: :bow:

And also DAMN YOU KRALIZEC AND SEAMUS for getting me addicted to mafia games :laugh4:

The Jedi ~;)

HughTower
02-07-2007, 11:18
It was great fun to blackmail both HughTower and you to force you to join "the Dark Side"

Umm...I contacted Kralizec once he was revealed as Don Tataglia to ask if we (CA, Sir Boo & I) could help his sole remaining mafioso. Blackmail was uneccessary. Our 2 kill missions in N1 & N2 as wiseguys - trying to start our own family - against Sasaki & Redleg had both been foiled (& got Ituralde promoted), & we were a little frustrated.

BTW, Redleg, when I was accusing you in PMs of being a Don (after our failed attack on you), the reason I was doing it privately was because I really thought you were, & I was hoping to find the right angle to offer you my/our services as wiseguys.

Ah well, such intrigue, such fun. And, btw, who was The Messenger?

ByzantineKnight
02-07-2007, 12:38
As for Donna Barzini Proletariat: I told you from the beginning of my participation to lynch her! Why didn't you listen? Not that it would have helped the town that much, but it certainly would have served the Tattaglia's intrests *sigh*

What do you mean, you only said to kill Caius Flaminius (Sorry Caius)...

Moros
02-07-2007, 13:20
So nopw do you guys believe me? Oh well the most important things are that the town won and that Crazed Rabbit and Pindar didn't survive.

Andres
02-07-2007, 13:37
What do you mean, you only said to kill Caius Flaminius (Sorry Caius)...

I tried to convince the town to lynch her. I didn't want us to kill her.

Ah, and sorry Caius :embarassed:

Reenk Roink
02-07-2007, 13:49
What an odd night. I read a long discussion of what fruit I am, the game ends, Sidney Crosby gets two assists even though he was sitting on the bench, and I dream that I get into a fight with Gilbert Arenas...

Great game Seamus, it is legendary... :2thumbsup:

Seamus Fermanagh
02-07-2007, 14:03
You mean... it's over??? :dizzy2:

Sorry I didn't participate more - I'm still on a break from mafia due to lack of time - but I still check in sometimes just to see what's going on. Please forgive my ignorance, but... why is it over again? Proletariat and Reenk Roink were still alive, so why did they leave town?

With no Wise Guys willing to be recruited (only Kage left!), their ability to kill had been nullified. Thus, it was a question of time with 3 baddies and 11 townies -- most of whom were in league -- remaining. Rather than drag it to the bitter end, I asked if the Barzinia would prefer to bow out gracefully. Essentially, the story had been written, this was just a way to avoid a relatively predictable and low-energy finish.

This was indeed an excellent game, supremely confusing and highly interactive. Kudos to Seamus Fermanagh for the excellent hosting! Your ideas were truly unique, and this has undoubtedly been the most vibrant mafia game the Org has seen! I gotta say, not half bad for your first game. ~;)

Thanks you sir. As the phrase goes, only because "I stood on the shoulders..."

Kagemusha
02-07-2007, 14:48
This was a complex one. As i got my wiseguy pm i thought to play with a risk and contacted GH in order to create a vigilante group to kill of the original mafias.Little i knew that i was talking into into a Luca of the Corleones and made my first mistake by trusting him,but we managed to create a group between Me,GH,Sigurd and Caius. The idea was to form a syndicate where only the original members knew each other and new members would only know the one who hired them in to the syndicate.
Our original target was to kill Sasaki,but it was called off becouse there was a high risk of being detected as guilty by a detective in a first round.
Then after first kills, GH was gone and he revealed our little group. This made me believe that GH wasnt a townie and i decided to confirm my wiseguy status in order to survive for few rounds.
This also lead to the fact that Sigurd and Caius abandoned our cause,while i still suggested to continue with our group while exposed in the thread.
After that i was talking with bunch of people via pm, but was not able to create anything solid so i decided to take a neutral stand which resulted in sleeping the nights and gathering information from various sources. At one point Redleg suggested to lynch me and after pm converstation he believed the fact that i was indeed what i had sayed to be.
I tryed to help Redleg on his protection groups,but for some reason we were not successfull. After few rounds i was contacted by mysterious "messenger",which i believe was Crazed Rabbit. I informed Redleg that i was contacted and we decided to create a trap for this messenger, by Redleg creating a protection group for JimBob,while i would go along with the attack in order to infiltrate the mafia family that "messenger" represented. Well this wasnt succesfull either becouse our killing group was not succesfull,i believe becouse Rabbit was killed and Orb didnt join it in the end. After that i became suspicious about Redleg and Luigi and believed that it would be possible that the guys could have been running a scheme with protection groups,while were actually Mafioso. After talking with Prole, i was getting more and more suspicious about Red&Luigi,everything just seemed to go their way. Soon i was contacted by Tom Hagen and he suggested the same theory i had,which he must have had from Proletariat. For a round i worked effectively with Tom Hagen and Pindar,believing that Red&Luigi were Mafia.This also resulted in attacking Moros in the thread and i really thought that he had fabricated his investigation results. But after the next night when i was part of failed protection group of Tom Hagen and he was still protected+ Pindar was saved,while his protection group also failed to materialize.I wasnt sure about anything anymore. So i abandoned them and rest of the game i just drifted and waited what would happen. So in the end i trusted lot of wrong people including: GH,Prole and Tom Hagen(Very well played Lady and the gentlemen:2thumbsup: ) and one of the pro townies Redleg. What i have to say in the end is that awesomely played by the duo of Redleg and Luigi VI Fatlington. With townie roles you were essential in saving the town from the Mafia.:bow:

Kommodus
02-07-2007, 14:56
With no Wise Guys willing to be recruited (only Kage left!), their ability to kill had been nullified.

Ah... but I thought that Mafia Dons had the ability to kill if all their family members were eliminated? Ok, so I guess that wasn't quite the case here, since the Luca was still alive... hm, I see what you mean. :book:

Besides luck, Kommodus missend of a PM, if this is really to be beleived, really helped me to get in touch with a few doctors.

Heheh, that was absolutely real dude! You had said some things during the previous day that made me think you deserved protection, so I tried to contact my previous protection team (doc_bean and Ironside) to propose this. Unfortunately I typed your name into the "To" list instead of Ironside's. :embarassed:

The mistake ended up paying off, though. You joined the team along with JimBob, while doc_bean left to create his own group citing infiltration concerns (I don't think he trusted me). After you told me your role and left the group, I contacted luigi VI di Fatlington and recruited him. He was part of the team that saved JimBob (the same night I was promoted to doctor/killed).

I have one confession to make - I gave your role away to certain members of my team, including Ironside and luigi. This was an error in judgement; I was trying to explain to them why I wanted you protected, and gave away too much info. Sorry. :shame:

I guess we got a bit lucky, though. Great game! :2thumbsup:

EDIT:

After this I ended up on CR:s list of potential tin star mafia, so after this recent role change I decided that protection could be good, so I asked for Ituralde's protection, whom I'm not sure knew of me a the time. Kommodus might not have revealed my name as doc_bean didn't want to reveal his.

That's true - I didn't reveal your identity to Ituralde initially (just being on the safe side). Later on he contacted me and told me he'd been contacted by you, and asked me to confirm your claims. This I did gladly - my status as a now-confirmed innocent townie helped.

I got your message asking me to back up your reveal. I'd have done this if I ever felt it was necessary; however, no one seemed to be taking CR's accusation of you seriously, and it never appeared that you were in danger of being lynched. So I just kept quiet.

Sigurd
02-07-2007, 15:50
Great game... and many posts .. many

In fact I probably only read a tenth part of it... Yeah this is my achilles heel. Too many posts and I can't keep up.
And I was killed by a lap dancer? Alright Pindar and CR, care to elaborate?

Sigurd

Don Corleone
02-07-2007, 16:33
Well, the Barzinis had a secret weapon that GH's reveal (you suck, GH) forced us to abandon. I was able to remain as a townie throughout most of the game. Just as the name of my charcter in the movies, my role was to support the family by working with the town and defending the family from the outside. It was working really well. Too well, in fact. I felt really guilty about misleading Luigi and Redleg, and in a way, GH's reveal (you suck, GH) and it's subsequent forcing me to defend Prole so vehemently (and taking up killing again) was a relief.

When GH revealed (you suck, GH) we were all crapping in our pants. I went too far out on a limb too early, but I had too, I couldn't let steam build. Then some of the rest of the Barzinis started to chime in, this let me back off from the defense somewhat and actually publicly consider Prole as a suspect. Then, an unbelievable gift fell into my lap. Omanes asked me to join a killing crew. I figured it was just the town trying to take matters into their own hands, but I also knew this was my out, and salvation for Prole. So I PM'd Luigi and Redleg with it. Red was smart enough not to answer, but luck was with me, and Luigi responded in a mildly lukewarm way.

I chose to start my acting career right there and acted as though I took his lack of condmenation on the killing crew as endorsement, and that I thought that proved he was in the mafa. I then proceeded to shout that theory to anyone that would listen to me. Now, Luigi and Red knew full well they weren't mafia, so I'm sure at first they were scratching their heads, then they put 2 and 2 together. From there on, my goose was cooked. I couldn't work with the town anymore, so beyond lying through my teeth to Kagemusha, and going off the deep end with my usual paranoid theories (man did GF2 make a good cover for future games), so I took up killings with the Barzinis again, surprisingly making it up to Made. I have no idea who protected me on Night 8, but THANKS! We almost won because of it...

Oh, the other thing that killed us.... I need to come clean and let everyone know that I begged Sasaki to post that fake reveal. I knew once Redleg talked the real FBI agent into coming forward, the Barzinis were dead meat. I knew that the one thing that might plant doubt was the knowledge that the FBI PM was out and about. I never thought anyone would believe Sasaki, only that they couldn't trust a post of a PM from the FBI agent as actual evidence. Unfortunately, Redleg didn't take it to well, and in the process, became an unassailable witness. Nobody, and I mean nobody was going to believe me over Redleg after Saturday night. He was town through and through, and that was indisputable.

Anyway, Seamus, thanks again for such a wonderful game. I really enjoyed it.

And oh, one last time, GH, YOU SUCK!!!

Dutch_guy
02-07-2007, 16:56
Well, Don, that explains why you weren't exactly excited to show the supposed Luigi PM. Even when faced with death.

Anyway, thanks a lot Seamus for hosting this game. I enjoyed it tremendously even if it doesn't seem that way if one looks at my contribution. I hope another one of these games comes around soon, even though the work it takes to manage one of these is probably exhausting - to say the least.

PS: Damn you Alex and Xiahou, damn you.

:balloon2:

Kralizec
02-07-2007, 17:36
Well, the Barzinis had a secret weapon that GH's reveal (you suck, GH) forced us to abandon. I was able to remain as a townie throughout most of the game. Just as the name of my charcter in the movies, my role was to support the family by working with the town and defending the family from the outside. It was working really well. Too well, in fact. I felt really guilty about misleading Luigi and Redleg, and in a way, GH's reveal (you suck, GH) and it's subsequent forcing me to defend Prole so vehemently (and taking up killing again) was a relief.

When GH revealed (you suck, GH) we were all crapping in our pants. I went too far out on a limb too early, but I had too, I couldn't let steam build. Then some of the rest of the Barzinis started to chime in, this let me back off from the defense somewhat and actually publicly consider Prole as a suspect. Then, an unbelievable gift fell into my lap. Omanes asked me to join a killing crew. I figured it was just the town trying to take matters into their own hands, but I also knew this was my out, and salvation for Prole. So I PM'd Luigi and Redleg with it. Red was smart enough not to answer, but luck was with me, and Luigi responded in a mildly lukewarm way.

I chose to start my acting career right there and acted as though I took his lack of condmenation on the killing crew as endorsement, and that I thought that proved he was in the mafa. I then proceeded to shout that theory to anyone that would listen to me. Now, Luigi and Red knew full well they weren't mafia, so I'm sure at first they were scratching their heads, then they put 2 and 2 together. From there on, my goose was cooked. I couldn't work with the town anymore, so beyond lying through my teeth to Kagemusha, and going off the deep end with my usual paranoid theories (man did GF2 make a good cover for future games), so I took up killings with the Barzinis again, surprisingly making it up to Made. I have no idea who protected me on Night 8, but THANKS! We almost won because of it...

Oh, the other thing that killed us.... I need to come clean and let everyone know that I begged Sasaki to post that fake reveal. I knew once Redleg talked the real FBI agent into coming forward, the Barzinis were dead meat. I knew that the one thing that might plant doubt was the knowledge that the FBI PM was out and about. I never thought anyone would believe Sasaki, only that they couldn't trust a post of a PM from the FBI agent as actual evidence. Unfortunately, Redleg didn't take it to well, and in the process, became an unassailable witness. Nobody, and I mean nobody was going to believe me over Redleg after Saturday night. He was town through and through, and that was indisputable.

Anyway, Seamus, thanks again for such a wonderful game. I really enjoyed it.

Good game Don C, you fooled me with your townie act :2thumbsup:

I wasn't very sure about Proletariat not being Donna Barzini, but I already suspected someone else for that role.

At any rate, I also felt that GH and Sasaki were being lame by revealing it.
I still held somewhat of a grudge against Sasaki and GH for ratting me out & getting me lynched so early in the game. I couldn't have prevented this since Sasaki knew my ID from the start, and he had his own objectives. Apparently Sasaki had already ratted on me at that time by revealing my role to GH. Then, GH miraculously discovers that some spelling errors in the PM's were consistent with my own writing style :rolleyes:
That got the ball rolling, and Louis ran a text analyses comparing the PM with several Dutch and Flemish members...the rest is history.

I don't think it's being a good sport to post damning information after your death, and GH and Sasaki did just that- presumably just to spite Proletariat. I could care less wether Proletariat got killed actually, but I just defended her to spite GH and Sasaki :sweatdrop:

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 17:47
Ah, Kralizec I had no intention of getting you lynched. I took GH into my confidence early (I needed the luca's on my side for one of my win conditions) but when he got killed he started going after people. I defended you if you recall.

I was upset with GH for revealing prole and reenk, and tried to make it look like a setup. I'd had such a setup in mind actually. The mispelling was intentional, naturally.

Andres
02-07-2007, 17:50
The mispelling was intentional, naturally.

Oh, what a surprise ! ~;)

Kralizec
02-07-2007, 18:20
Hmmm, Proletariet? I hadn't noticed that at the time...clever.

Cheers to Seamus for hosting this wonderful game :cheers:

Ironside
02-07-2007, 18:56
The mistake ended up paying off, though. You joined the team along with JimBob, while doc_bean left to create his own group citing infiltration concerns (I don't think he trusted me). After you told me your role and left the group, I contacted luigi VI di Fatlington and recruited him. He was part of the team that saved JimBob (the same night I was promoted to doctor/killed).

doc_bean was quite paranoid in this game, it wouldn't surprice me if I was the only player that knew his status (exept right before Seamus ended the game were I mentioned his status to luigi after he had namned doc_bean as his best candidate for the last don). .

I have one confession to make - I gave your role away to certain members of my team, including Ironside and luigi. This was an error in judgement; I was trying to explain to them why I wanted you protected, and gave away too much info. Sorry. :shame:

I guess we got a bit lucky, though. Great game! :2thumbsup:

I was actually asking doc to protect Ituralde on 2-3 nights after our first protection to make sure that we didn't lose him incase we had a leak. Not that Luigi seems to have remembered Ituralde's status for long though. ~;p

That's true - I didn't reveal your identity to Ituralde initially (just being on the safe side). Later on he contacted me and told me he'd been contacted by you, and asked me to confirm your claims. This I did gladly - my status as a now-confirmed innocent townie helped.

Yes I asked Ituralde to contact you to make him sure. Otherwise I would sound something like: Dude, I know you're a surgeon and want protection. While the first part would probably clear me from mafia suspicion while thinking a bit of it, it's feels a bit bad to get a "I know everything about you, and request your help" without understanding why.

I got your message asking me to back up your reveal. I'd have done this if I ever felt it was necessary; however, no one seemed to be taking CR's accusation of you seriously, and it never appeared that you were in danger of being lynched. So I just kept quiet.

I was wondering about that for a bit, but you're right that my innocence was refuted very little (if at all), when I went official. Started to get very hard to refute me while still not giving away your mafia status.

Oh and you Barzinis made a considerble flaw when not presenting an alternative detective. We knew that 2 were still in the game and a false detective this late would be fatal to the town, aka the true one has to step forward to save the town. Not countering them meant trouble for you as their word was law in the end ~;)

And CR, I'm curious on how I ended up on your list, as it's quite obvious that your family considered it somewhat correct atleast.

Pindar
02-07-2007, 19:59
And I was killed by a lap dancer? Alright Pindar and CR, care to elaborate?

Sigurd

I wrote up your end. I thought an exotic South American :gorgeous: would appeal to your Northern Viking roots: something hot to forget the cold what, what.

Pindar
02-07-2007, 20:02

I echo my comrade: GH you suck!!!

Kommodus
02-07-2007, 20:51
Ok, what's with everyone pointing the finger at GH? I admit it's a bit bothersome to have someone revealing confidential bits of info after death - heck, it contributed to my lynching when I was mafia in Grafitti Mafia - but I'm not sure it warrants the reaction it's getting.

The real question in my mind is this: how is it that GH came to learn the identities of all those Barzinis, when he himself was a Corleone? What error in judgement led to him obtaining such knowledge?

If the Barzinis didn't want GH to blow the whistle on them, they shouldn't have let him know their identities to begin with. :no:

Don Corleone
02-07-2007, 21:03
Ok, what's with everyone pointing the finger at GH? I admit it's a bit bothersome to have someone revealing confidential bits of info after death - heck, it contributed to my lynching when I was mafia in Grafitti Mafia - but I'm not sure it warrants the reaction it's getting.

The real question in my mind is this: how is it that GH came to learn the identities of all those Barzinis, when he himself was a Corleone? What error in judgement led to him obtaining such knowledge?

If the Barzinis didn't want GH to blow the whistle on them, they shouldn't have let him know their identities to begin with. :no:

First, GH told the entire game who was the head and the Luca of the Barzini family. You may claim it's trivial, but I suspect you're just sticking up for a friend. A noble quality, though in this case, somewhat misguided.

Second, the Barzinis didn't say anything to GH. He got the information from Sasaki, who received it as part of his role as Wolf.

Third, while Seamus may not have explicitly forbidden it, it is general practice that you're not supposed to be able to reveal information after your death you didn't reveal before hand. If you're the detective, and you don't get your reveal out before you get lynched/killed, you're not supposed to be able to post that information after you're dead.

Hey, you and GH can claim he did nothing wrong all you want. The fact remains he made certain the Barzinis didn't have a chance in this game, and he did it in an unethical, if not exactly illegal fashion.

GeneralHankerchief
02-07-2007, 21:12
Wow, I'm getting slammed here.

I admit that the memories of my actions will probably live on in some people's minds, but the last thing I want is people to be mad at me for this, so I'm going to try once again to defend myself.

First of all, and this is what some people seem to forget, I only revealed Prole and Reenk. While I was pretty sure that she had done some recruiting, I had no knowledge of who these people were or how many existed. Don, you once again did an excellent job of fooling me. You had me convinced that you were just the "skeptical townie" as usual. I couldn't really get a good read on Pindar, as this was his first game.

Look, I apologized to Seamus for my actions, and, as previously stated, he exonerated me of any wrongdoing. So please do not say that I broke the rules. I admit that what I did was probably unethical; it's why I apologized to Seamus in the first place.

However, I don't believe it was game-changing. My reveal of Prole and Reenk (who both survived) set the stage for the endgame, but it wasn't an inspired townie series of lynches that got the people based on their connections with Prole and Reenk. It was a final bloodbath between the Barzinis and resurrected Tataglias.

Please just understand things from my point of view. That is all I ask. :bow:

Don Corleone
02-07-2007, 21:16
Well it's stupid getting pissed about it now. But I'm not going to lie and say I have no problem with it either. Perhaps you and I should just give each other a wide berth.

Louis VI the Fat
02-07-2007, 21:21
I was actually asking doc to protect Ituralde on 2-3 nights after our first protection to make sure that we didn't lose him incase we had a leak. Not that Luigi seems to have remembered Ituralde's status for long though. ~;p Gah! It's a complex game. Redleg even had to persuade me not to vote Seamus at one point- I tought it was suspicious that he barely posted.

All you tin stars out there: I am still dying to find out if my *eyes mobster Crazed Rabbit * had anything to do with his death.

Orb, would you mind posting some information here? You were a pivotal character, and I'm quite curious to your thoughts.

Proletariat - I've never changed my mind about someone so often as her. I thought it was suspicious she was saved in the first round. Then there was this 'killing as a fashion statement' thingy. I also believed GH reveal at first too. I didn't anymore before the voting was over, I thought there was something fishy going on. When she voted Moros I became convinced again that she was, and added her to my list.

It was Orb's (?) peculiar note by the corpse of Xiahou that made me change my mind yet again:
Duty.

Kagemusha
Proletariat.

Orb had said he couldn't kill Proletariat the night before. Okay, so I figured that maybe Orb knew something I didn't. I also figured Kagemusha for mafia the night before, and it turned out he wasn't.
Me and Kagemusha had an extensive PM exchange following Orb's note. I soon found out he was completely drunk. So I took advantage of that to question him extensively about his wise guy status and his sexual preferences.
Armed with this new and very incriminating information I knew Kage could only choose the town's side from now on.
I also let go of Proletariat, just keeping her in mind in case no other leads would find me the don.

From what I knew about everyody else, only two persons remained besides Proletariat for don: BKS and Doc_Bean. They were very secretive and mistrustful. Ironside had definitive information that Doc wasn't. Which now left me with checking BKS's contacts. He wasn't very forthcoming, so I decided to throw it in the open, hoping to find some proof of his status either way. At this point, the game ended.

I'm glad Seamus ended it. It did prevent a tedious cat-and-mouse endgame. Maybe RR and Prole could've escaped the rope for one day. Maybe they could've made another kill, but most townies were so well aware of each other's status by now that it would've been a matter of two days max before they were killed I think.

Kommodus
02-07-2007, 21:29
First, GH told the entire game who was the head and the Luca of the Barzini family. You may claim it's trivial, but I suspect you're just sticking up for a friend. A noble quality, though in this case, somewhat misguided.

Well, I never meant to imply that it was trivial. I understand that it probably had quite a significant impact on the game, and I totally understand why you and the other Barzinis are bothered by it. All I ask is that you remember that it really is just a game, and not worth broken relationships.

And yes, I am sticking up for a friend. :juggle2:

Second, the Barzinis didn't say anything to GH. He got the information from Sasaki, who received it as part of his role as Wolf.

Ah. I didn't realize that. I suppose it was rather dangerous to have someone - anyone - who knew the identities of all the Mafia Dons.

Louis VI the Fat
02-07-2007, 21:31
Why I committed suicide etcetera.
This screenshot thing was a low point for me too. I had in fact written and send my suicide note to Seamus too. I retracted it the following day. I didn't see the screenie myself, but what difference did that make? Once I became aware of it's existence I could add 1 and 1 myself. Duh.
Using screenshots spoils the game for people. Redleg and I spend half a night exchanging information about Sasaki, we figured out that he was the Wolf after all, only for us to find out we couldn't further discuss him or vote for him because some people couldn't resist the temptation to use unfair means.
Then there's also this gnawing question: could I maybe have developed second thoughts about Sasaki if there wasn't this screenshotgate? It did after all confirm my suspicion of Sasaki beyond any doubt.

The rules for revealing stuff after one's death need to be tightened as well it seems. Posting 'revelations' after one's dead can be game enhancing. Posting information for the sole reason of spoiling the game for those left alive with the explicit purpose of 'warning' people not to kill you in the next game is a bit lame. Also, this warning might impress thirtheen year olds, but not the mature players.
I must say it was very difficult for townies to guess the exact worth of the information that was revealed by GH though. CR posted a list of tin stars shortly after that I knew was incorrect. And GH's earlier list was random as well.
But with the benefit of hindsight, naming Prole and RR did play a part in the unraveling of the white gloves. Even if for me the pivotal event was the hanging of Moros.

A brief correction: Seamus, where I said 'keeping up with us' I meant 'thanks for 'putting up with us'. Meh, English.

Kagemusha
02-07-2007, 21:35
Me and Kagemusha had an extensive PM exchange following Orb's note. I soon found out he was completely drunk. So I took advantage of that to question him extensively about his wise guy status and his sexual preferences.
Armed with this new and very incriminating information I knew Kage could only choose the town's side from now on.

Lol!:laugh4: For once i dont want to see the evidence posted in the thread. Altough i have to pray that you dont get to be a detective in one of these games. That cross questioning was almost unhuman and im pretty sure that it left permanent damages on my already unstable psyche.:laugh4:

Redleg
02-07-2007, 21:50
Well I actually enjoyed a major portion of the game. Figuring out that Sasaki betrayed the town was rather enjoyable - the screenshot that was provided after Luigi and I did our discussion only distracted our actual conclusions.

Some things I did not really appreciate in this game - alreadly discussed and hopefully will fix themselves over time.

Whats funny is that I believe in one of the disscussions that Luigi and I were having is that we were going to go back and evaluate all of us, to insure everyone was on the up and up about their positon.

Reenx and Prolerait were on my short list. After Doc and BKS. So luigi is correct in as little as two more day phases we most likely would of been back to lynching both of them.

And Orb was a great asset to the team. And I probably got Cowhead fired because I suspected Orb of wanting to kill me, and let Seamus know that if I died by a greek hoplite then I knew the identity of my killer, and that if he could, right it into my death scenerio.

Sorry Cowhead for getting you fired - my I suspected the viper in our midst might try to play both sides against the middle. Sorry luigi on this one I PM Seamus before you and I discussed it, because it was just before the closing of the night phase inputs to Seamus.

Orb
02-07-2007, 21:57
Interesting. Seems I was a popular night one choice.

I guess Kralizec's scheme paid off somewhat with those recruits.

Must have been tough trying to win as a serial killer.

*breathes heavily, adds epilogue*

Orb gazed back at the town of Fatlington. It didn't matter, he would be in the villages of Sparta in a day's time. He would...

No. No he wouldn't. The train operator looked back in shock as the sound of the back window's glass shattering was heard. Orb hit the rails as he jumped out, but quickly regained his feet. He began the trek back to Fatlington.

Seventeen hours later he arrived, carrying a pack on his back and wearing a red anorak. He was late for the celebration and quietly walked into the room. Would he find acceptance? Forgiveness? Mercy? He did not know, but he knew that his destiny lay here with the people of Fatlington, not in the meadows of Greece. The bullying he had suffered at school had made him turn to the 'power' and 'glory' of the Spartans, but he no longer felt the urge for revenge. It just didn't satisfy. He felt guilt. He felt a duty, not to some dead cause but to a living town.

The music of the party reached his ears, it seemed everyone else was so drunk they didn't notice him:

Now the sun's gone to hell
The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight
And every line of your palms

We are fools to make war on our brothers in arms

He walked over to the bar, and bought cowhead a drink.

Edit: where are my manners?

Seamus. Best Mafia Ever.

The Stranger
02-07-2007, 22:07
Good Game, but seriously... Sasaki, I'm going to murder you :P:laugh4:

had Moros and I stay a duo the town might have won earlier...

Pindar
02-07-2007, 22:27
Wow, I'm getting slammed here.

Rightly so! Your actions were repugnant. The pathetic defense is equally repugnant. To even attempt a defense is repugnant. To allow one's self described friend (Kommodus) to stick up for the repugnancy is repugnant.

To quote the wise words previously stated: GH you suck.

Don Corleone
02-07-2007, 22:45
Well, I didn't mean them quite that vehemently Pindar. I was sort of trying to say it tongue in cheek, but I am a little sore over the whole affair. I'll get over it, but if nothing else, GH, your motivation for your reveal should tell you that it wasn't the classiest move you've ever made. Trying to paint yourself as the 'real victim' now that those of us who couldn't at the time call you on it is a little cheesy, IMHO. But hey, like everyone keeps saying, it's a game. I can't let myself get carried away. You did give us the game in the first place, and you've been a good sport until now.

Let's call a truce and agree in the ethics post that from now on, no post-humous reveals is a rule in every game, shall we?

GeneralHankerchief
02-07-2007, 22:48
I never intended to paint myself as the victim, and I apologize if it came out that way.

Let's call a truce and agree in the ethics post that from now on, no post-humous reveals is a rule in every game, shall we?

Agreed. I just want to put this one behind me. :shakehands:

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 22:51
In the future I think loyalty should be spelled out in pm's.

town-you are loyal to the town full stop.
corleone-loyal to the corleones, if they are wiped out you don't have anyone to root for.
Serial killer--weird to have him work for the town I think. If I made that role I would specify that he was anti-town. Otherwise he's just a vigilante.

Pannonian
02-07-2007, 22:53
This screenshot thing was a low point for me too. I had in fact written and send my suicide note to Seamus too. I retracted it the following day. I didn't see the screenie myself, but what difference did that make? Once I became aware of it's existence I could add 1 and 1 myself. Duh.
Using screenshots spoils the game for people. Redleg and I spend half a night exchanging information about Sasaki, we figured out that he was the Wolf after all, only for us to find out we couldn't further discuss him or vote for him because some people couldn't resist the temptation to use unfair means.
Then there's also this gnawing question: could I maybe have developed second thoughts about Sasaki if there wasn't this screenshotgate? It did after all confirm my suspicion of Sasaki beyond any doubt.

The rules for revealing stuff after one's death need to be tightened as well it seems. Posting 'revelations' after one's dead can be game enhancing. Posting information for the sole reason of spoiling the game for those left alive with the explicit purpose of 'warning' people not to kill you in the next game is a bit lame. Also, this warning might impress thirtheen year olds, but not the mature players.
I must say it was very difficult for townies to guess the exact worth of the information that was revealed by GH though. CR posted a list of tin stars shortly after that I knew was incorrect. And GH's earlier list was random as well.
But with the benefit of hindsight, naming Prole and RR did play a part in the unraveling of the white gloves. Even if for me the pivotal event was the hanging of Moros.

I thought Capo was a good game with the potential to have been even better, but for a tendency for dead mafia to root for the town. With the rules allowing townie protection of others already giving the town a significant advantage, this further unbalanced the game. Sasaki's role was absolutely central to the game, as he knew the identities of the Dons, so his outing by pevergreen to The Stranger and latterly Redleg could have effectively broken the game had he chosen to pipe up. Credit to him, he held the fort for a while, but GH's later reveal effectively put an end to the game as a contest.

I'm thinking that a system of points based on victory conditions may make future versions of Capo work better. Victory by a mafia family gains the most points, thus encouraging vigorous mafia play and countering the pro-town rules. Then comes a town victory (pro-townies only). This is the only possible victory for pro-townies. Losing mafia families have a limited victory if another family wins, but they gain nothing at all if the town wins. This gives some incentive to continue misleading even after death.

It was quite frustrating watching this game as a townie. In that role, I should do all I can to ensure a town victory, yet the dead mafia were making it ever more unbalanced in favour of the town. As a partisan, I should have rooted for the town, but as a neutral it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Orb
02-07-2007, 23:00
In the future I think loyalty should be spelled out in pm's.

town-you are loyal to the town full stop.
corleone-loyal to the corleones, if they are wiped out you don't have anyone to root for.
Serial killer--weird to have him work for the town I think. If I made that role I would specify that he was anti-town. Otherwise he's just a vigilante.

I wasn't exactly working for the town, I started by removing protection groups because I didn't want too many doctors to get around to stop me performing kills, then continued by removing mafiosi when I needed to. Besides, redemption themes are the best :egypt:

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 23:11
I thought Capo was a good game with the potential to have been even better, but for a tendency for dead mafia to root for the town. With the rules allowing townie protection of others already giving the town a significant advantage, this further unbalanced the game. Sasaki's role was absolutely central to the game, as he knew the identities of the Dons, so his outing by pevergreen to The Stranger and latterly Redleg could have effectively broken the game had he chosen to pipe up. Credit to him, he held the fort for a while, but GH's later reveal effectively put an end to the game as a contest.

I'm thinking that a system of points based on victory conditions may make future versions of Capo work better. Victory by a mafia family gains the most points, thus encouraging vigorous mafia play and countering the pro-town rules. Then comes a town victory (pro-townies only). This is the only possible victory for pro-townies. Losing mafia families have a limited victory if another family wins, but they gain nothing at all if the town wins. This gives some incentive to continue misleading even after death.

It was quite frustrating watching this game as a townie. In that role, I should do all I can to ensure a town victory, yet the dead mafia were making it ever more unbalanced in favour of the town. As a partisan, I should have rooted for the town, but as a neutral it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

That sounds like a good suggestion. Personally as mafia I would root for any other mafia family after my death.

I think a few rule changes would help the game a lot.

The detectives have to go I think, they aren't fun in any game no matter which side you are on.

The townies shouldn't be able to prove eachother by doing protection groups. The mafia should be able to be in on those protection groups and still kill at night.

Townie pm should be made publicly available in the OP. It's too easy to catch people lying otherwise.

Those rules all make it easier for mafia, but I think the town would still have a good shot if they played it smart and had less suicides. A drop in the number of wise guys could balance it.

Pannonian
02-07-2007, 23:25
That sounds like a good suggestion. Personally as mafia I would root for any other mafia family after my death.

I think a few rule changes would help the game a lot.

The detectives have to go I think, they aren't fun in any game no matter which side you are on.

The detective works in GH's games because he cannot reveal privately and there are no doctors to protect him. After Rise of the Mob, I'm thinking detectives and doctors should be mutually exclusive. The limited usefulness of Capo's detectives does alleviate it somewhat.

The townies shouldn't be able to prove eachother by doing protection groups. The mafia should be able to be in on those protection groups and still kill at night.

Townie pm should be made publicly available in the OP. It's too easy to catch people lying otherwise.

Those rules all make it easier for mafia, but I think the town would still have a good shot if they played it smart and had less suicides. A drop in the number of wise guys could balance it.
If the town can hold together, it is actually possible to systematically root out the mafia using the current rules, using my suggested ideas and some more. For that reason, Capo is more strategic than GH's games, and IMHO less suspenseful.

Xiahou
02-07-2007, 23:32
I never intended to paint myself as the victim, and I apologize if it came out that way.Don't worry GH, I still love ya.:knuddel:

Let's call a truce and agree in the ethics post that from now on, no post-humous reveals is a rule in every game, shall we?Personally, I think that's a good general rule. I operate under that assumption unless it's specifically spelled out differently, that my chance to reveal dies with me. Although, in this game it was allowed. That being the case, I think having a character who knows the heads of all 3 families and has a vested interest in seeing them dead is problematic. I felt Sasaki was a very sticky situation- if we kill him, he could spill his guts postmortem but, allowing him to live ran the risk of him putting a knife in our backs when the conditions were favorable to him.

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 23:39
Don't worry GH, I still love ya.:knuddel:

Personally, I think that's a good general rule. I operate under that assumption unless it's specifically spelled out differently, that my chance to reveal dies with me. Although, in this game it was allowed. That being the case, I think having a character who knows the heads of all 3 families and has a vested interest in seeing them dead is problematic. I felt Sasaki was a very sticky situation- if we kill him, he could spill his guts postmortem but, allowing him to live ran the risk of him putting a knife in our backs when the conditions were favorable to him.

Well, after round one my only chance of victory was with you guys. And even with the alternate victory condition, I would have had to keep as many mafia alive as possible.

I would never have said turned on you guys post mortem, I've always had a soft spot for the mafia.

Don Corleone
02-07-2007, 23:47
I never intended to paint myself as the victim, and I apologize if it came out that way.

Agreed. I just want to put this one behind me. :shakehands:

Agreed. And behind. And like I said, I do appreciate you bringing this game to us in the first place. ~:pat:

Sasaki Kojiro
02-07-2007, 23:49
I will say that though the screens and reveals and such hurt the gameplay, they did add to the drama. The lynchings of Motep and Moros were quite satisfying.

I think without them there would have been more drama in the last couple rounds though.

Louis VI the Fat
02-08-2007, 00:15
I will say that though the screens and reveals and such hurt the gameplay, they did add to the drama. The lynchings of Motep and Moros were quite satisfying. Ah, this is a good point. Neither ruined the continuity of the game by any standard, and both maybe even added to the drama.

People who say how much the rules favoured the town may be forgetting just how close the town came to losing. The mafia / Barzini's managed to not just kill, but lynch the town's most powerful detective just two days before the end. This after their don was revealed. I was despairing, close to panicking. Ah well, I should congratulate the mafia for their good play - they very nearly won it.

Papewaio
02-08-2007, 00:18

IMDHO I disagree... Hannibal Lector would have helped the town by eating all the mafia particularly ones who were peds or who were rude, help one FBI agent and eat the other FBIs agent brain along with a nice bottle of Chianti. He probably would have let Prole go to on the basis of manners and fashion sense. :laugh4:

Seamus Fermanagh
02-08-2007, 00:19
II'm thinking that a system of points based on victory conditions may make future versions of Capo work better. Victory by a mafia family gains the most points, thus encouraging vigorous mafia play and countering the pro-town rules. Then comes a town victory (pro-townies only). This is the only possible victory for pro-townies. Losing mafia families have a limited victory if another family wins, but they gain nothing at all if the town wins. This gives some incentive to continue misleading even after death.

I tinkered with that for hours over the course of several weeks. Never quite came up with a point system that allowed for the "weighting" that would create the action I sought. Still might occur in version two.

Pannonian
02-08-2007, 00:26
I tinkered with that for hours over the course of several weeks. Never quite came up with a point system that allowed for the "weighting" that would create the action I sought. Still might occur in version two.
There's a simple solution, out of your control, that would work.

20 points for each member of a victorious mafia family
10 points for each victorious townie
5 points for each mafioso if a rival family wins

Survival or otherwise makes no difference to the points, only WoG negates the points you get. The actual number of points doesn't matter. And here's the important part.

You get a 1 month bonus to your PM allowance based on the number of points you get. So get on the blower to Tosa, now!

Seamus Fermanagh
02-08-2007, 04:14
Having outlined the various main events for each player, here is my slightly edited version of my notes during the game. This is the 2nd of three summary pieces, the last will be my evaluation/thoughts for the future.

From the Host’s Perspective

Goal:

I was really trying to set up a game that maximized the number of active participants, that emphasized ambiguity, and that forced participants to develop trust through interaction.

With 10 mafia roles, 6 Townie Roles, a Serial Killer, and 12 Wise guys, I had 29 roles placed out of 56 players. Moreover, though difficult, even the Townies could progress.

All of the investigations are a hint uncertain, adding to the uncertainty produced by a lack of information.

As to trust, groups simply have to form – despite the risk of betrayal – or your family or agenda won’t move forward well. Only the serial killer or the Rogue detective could “win” the game without the assistance of others. Working solo, it would take either of those roles a lot of time and a lot of luck to boot.

Pre-Game Thoughts:

Man, that was a lot of PM’ing. The recruiting went well and I was pleased to see a bunch of folks involved who hadn’t mafia’d with us before – fresh ideas etc. Sending each person’s role to them was calculated. You weren’t just an “afterthought” Townie – specific information was sent to all. Moreover, with all folks PM’ing me regularly, no “active” role would stand out for easy interception. I wanted everyone to feel their role to be an active part. The Mithradites thing didn’t need to get into the thread (he quite politely bowed out when he got my final reminder PM), but it was there so I decided to stream it into the narrative. Since the narrative of this kind of thing can’t completely be a “suspend disbelief and enter another world” thing, I wanted to give it connections to the things players were reading/dealing with elsewhere.

Day One:

We had a good degree of interaction for this early stage. It was, of course, a blind vote for director but we ended up with several competitive names and not just the recidivists. Sasaki PM’d me a lot to settle interpretations on his role and I answered a number of such questions from 4-5 others.
I laughed when I saw Beirut was being elected. I wonder how many times his name has been used “in vain” for exactly this kind of role. Now he’s in his first set-to with us and he’s being selected as a veteran. Love it.
Sasaki is choosing the wild route to victory – this should be a blast to watch. And I’ve got some nicely devious tactics coming from several others. I simply loved Kralizec’s idea to blind PM potential recruits for his family. Good fun!

Night One:

Oh what fun! Both of the Town Doctors have extended their protection to….THE WOLF! This is going to be rich. A townie/Wise Guy Group (The two Sirs, Arach & HughTower – who coordinated pretty well and managed to get the PM’s re-written on form and on time) were frustrated by our nimble doctori.

Ichigo went after Donna Barzini – good targeting instincts that – but his would be partners never showed. He avoided getting killed himself narrowly.

Luigi (Louis) met a similar fate on a protection mission for Sasaki. One partner, Tom Hagen (Don C) decided to work with the Barzinis to kill the General, while the other, Banquo’s Ghost, specifically told me he’d be sleeping – regardless of what Luigi said. I laughed. Welcome to mafia games Louis!

The Barzinis will have some risk from this night – Prole’s escape will naturally garner some attention – but they are the only one’s to successfully kill a target. Not sure why the chose GeneralHankerchief so quickly, but it was inspired as this took out the Corleone Luca before he could even get going.

Day Two:

Wow did the discussion explode after Hanky’s death and the others’ escapes!

Ichigo’s reveal ends up dominating the discussion and torpedoing Kralizec. I actually thought that Kralizec’s PM by proxy was INSPIRED as a recruitment tactic for this game. Unfortunately, everybody is leery of following GeneralHankerchiefs false reveal too thoroughly – with his track record who can blame them – so Reenk never quite racked up enough votes to supplant Kralizec. The Barzini clan thanks you! The crew quickly parsed out the “recruiting” note, scanned the candidates, and hit on Kralizec as most likely. Taking out a Don on round one, with no direct linkage save for spelling is AWESOME Townie effort. What I can’t be certain of is that Kralizec is the one who sent the notes! He did ask about the tactic, but never confirmed to me that he had done it.

Prole benefited from the rules discussion indicating the multiple sources for explaining her escape, but her attackers were spot on in picking her as a Don despite operating from poor evidence. Serendipity both ways.

Regrettably, Ichigo and Tribes chose not to continue – sad to lose them – but I was happy to see the decrease in the number of uninvolved. Hopefully, I will not have to WoG.

I think I will extend the voting/PM’ing sessions – This is a large game and even more asynchronous than the usual mafia game because of the PM/back-channel emphasis I’ve built into the communication/gaming process. At least until the numbers thin a bit I’ll keep it to 30-36 hours (unless someone screams stop).

Night Two

Well, well…the PM’s come quickly and they include the Wise Guys (Boo, Arach & HughT) – no Moody? – planning an attack on Redleg….and Doc Ituralde defending same. Both PM’s early and precise. Me-thinks the “hits” are being staged to create surgeon(s) to defend the new “group.” Now, will the new group grow into a family with a Surgeon working for the bad guys or a mafia hunting squad? Okay, Doc_Bean has just issued his protection PM for Redleg – conspiracy confirmed. What a sharp tactic, though I don’t know how they got both Docs involved so readily.

Of course, it could be a plot within a plot as well. Perhaps one of the doctors is pretending to be in league with the Wise Guys, but feeding the info to the other doctor. When both are surgeons, they’ll be protecting each other and lynching the Wise Guys with near impunity – but I still don’t know when/how the docs tumbled on one another’s roles. Later on, Doc_bean forwent his certain surgeon promotion to help a townie team. He has larger plans for the long term I think.

Into the bargain, a later PM seems to be sending Motep to his doom. He named four partners in an attack on Ituralde, figuring at least 3 would show up. Unfortunately, his partners were Arach (involved in the Wise Guy group above), pevergreen (Don Corleone), ByzKnight (Luca Tataglia) and Masy (unattached wise guy). Hopefully Masy will show up and Motep will simply fail rather than risk death. I am REALLY enjoying reading all this and integrating it! Addendum: hours later Motep cancels the action citing another combo that clearly has him re-thinking things. Pity, I’d written a funny failed attempt for him:

Ituralde did not sleep soundly that night. He kept imagining the sound of footsteps on the wide ledge that ran round all the way around his floor at his apartment building, just outside his bedroom windows. He kept them locked tight in the winter, but he still could not relax. He was just trying to drift off when…

A scrape at his window sat him bolt upright in bed.

He flipped on the lights to see a sliver of metal slipping into the seam of his window and trying to jimmy the lock – a dark, cloaked figure on the ledge outside! Unfortunately for the cloaked figure, he or she was even more startled by the sudden light, overbalanced, and exited the ledge for the garden 3 stories below. A scream, partly muffled by the brisk winds off the Atlantic, was followed by the crash of breaking shrubbery from the burlap covered hydrangea bushes – almost the height of small trees – winterized and waiting for spring in the garden below.

Ituralde tore across the room and threw up the sash to spot his would-be attacker below. The hydrangeas had saved someone’s life – if not their dignity – and Ituralde could not make out anything distinctive about the person limping off into the dark and the rain.

Two pots of harsh coffee and exactly no sleep later, Ituralde made ready to face the day.
Well, that’s what I get for trying to get in too much of a head start.

Well, I’ve got one Mafioso family with two kills and a burgeoning team. Donna Barzini was fingered early on by the attack, but seems to have fallen off the radar screens as more folks come to grips with the solo townie = failure rule.

Stig’s death was a nice write-up by Rabbit that I augmented a bit to wash out writing styles. The concept was all his.

Hanky’s obit certainly gave townies a hope for victory. When they see the damage they’ve done in the next obits they may do handstands. If they assume it is all from one family, though, they could be a little complacent. Hanky was not part of the one family they’ve hammered. Kralizec tried a brilliant tactic but got caught and his mistake killed the Made and heir apparent. I don’t know how the last of their trio can salvage things – be interesting to see him try.

Day Three:

Stranger was in the crosshairs until Kralizec’s mistake. The mis-cue took out Beirut in a landslide. Redleg got himself well covered by the town – wonder how much he knows about the Wise-Guy group and who has penetrated who’s cell system. Interesting. Actually, with the one mistake as a pivot point, this round was fairly ho-hum. An easy decision for most. We’ll see what plots are hatched for tonight.

Beirut wanted a fanciful outing, so I gave it to him.

Night Three:

The murder and attack rate picked up tonight – about on the schedule I suspected. This game is designed to require coordination, and teams need to shake out the kinks. My serial killer Orb has struck for the first time with appropriately gruesome effect. Poor Orb, he’s been voting in a way that would usually get you a few retaliation votes – which he wants as he’s allowed to murder folks who vote for him – but in this game the town is being surprisingly disciplined in its lynch votes.

In addition, MRD went down and we’d have had a third if the Wise Guys hadn’t had PM trouble. I’m not sure if the Barzinis were targeting MRD because they suspected his status or if, like Stig and Moros, they were targeting relatively infrequent players hoping for some quick kills. Very few “pure” townies seem to be in the crosshairs, which does not trend well for mafia victory.

I loved the planned kill on Moros – fuel air bomb! – but the protection had been rendered so it couldn’t happen. Do they know they’re protecting a detective? I just love the unknown quality of this game.

Day Four:

Wow! What starts as more hash-flinging at Andres and Stranger ends up being a riotous turn on pevergreen led by Redleg and Pannonian. Redleg’s analytical style reminds me of my own – mafia watch your backside if Kommodus, Pannonian, Redleg, and I are all townie in the same game! Pannonian hasn’t played as often as most, but he seems to be on the cutting edge of this game from a Townie perspective. The answer is, as always, if the Townies communicate and trust one another, they ALWAYS have the numbers to absorb a few casualties and crush the bad guys. Pannonian has crunched the system rules around in his head VERY well – and is trying to make the basic truth of all mafia games even more efficient by using them. He is a deadly opponent.

Redleg is methodically assembling and assessing all the in-message comments in light of known facts and he’s getting good answers. Pannonian is brutally applying pressure to any suspects spotlighted by his own PM interactions or Redleg’s queries.

Result? At the end of 3 lynchings the mafia are down – I’m assuming pevergreen doesn’t wiggle off as I write – 2 Dons and a Made gangster with NO MISSES IN THE LYNCH! Add into that the other mafia figures targeted “in passing” and you have:

2/3 Dons dead and the other called out for a suicide pact with Pannonian, 2/3 Made Gangsters dead, and 1 Luca dead, in only 3 rounds. That’s 5 of the original 9. The Corleone family is toast in 3 votes!

Note to those playing DONs in this style game in the future. You MUST take a hands-off approach at the outset. If you or your Luca are involved in early-on PMing as recruiters you will be creating evidence against yourself. The Don, especially, is like the king in chess -- support pressure yes, point is a no-no!

Night Four

Lots of murders this night (4), including two by the Barzinis. Even with Hagen reverting to Townie protection efforts, the Barzinis have 3 Wisenheimers and a Made allowing them two kills. Assuming Prole agrees, both Pindar and Xiahou will become Mades as well, allowing them to triple their investigation ability. Prole is still drawing some sniping fire, but the bandwagon never quite gets rolling on her. Poor Byz Knight, the lone Tataglia, was left in a solo assassination. However, with the murders of Boo and Moody, the Wise Guy group lacked its third, so a Byz recruited them both. Still a long chalk, but he might revive the Tataglias – no small accomplishment from this start. The way things are shaping up, night 5 could feature as many as 6 murders. We shall see.

Day Five

What a wild and free ranging discussion. Motep is just providing a target with his posts – he’s actually being more or less completely open, precisely as Pannonian suggests. The bad guys all know he’s just a townie/wise guy, but Sasaki and Rabbit and the others will have no problem letting him hang. Sasaki bid fair to be the King of the Fake Reveal – God help us if he and Herr General are ever paired as Mafiosi, between the two of them they might be able to convince you that YOU were secretly the mafia but that your role was so secret the GM didn’t even tell you, at which point you’d change your vote from one of them to yourself. Sasaki may shift this around and keep himself from getting artillery shot to death. Regrettably, Banquo is bowing out due to schedule problems.

Interestingly, the second real positive development for the mafia occurred this day round. The burgeoning dispute between Stranger and Pannonian is likely to take energy away from an effort to localize on Prole. Either the Stranger’s approach (poke until makes a mistake and then lynch or PM/backchannel murder them) or Pannonian’s approach (use the numbers, put all the discussion and night actions into the open and crunch the combinations, force people to respond knowing that eventually the mafia MUST lie and will be caught out) can work, but the two do not work well together. As these two focus on one another, Prole breathes a sigh of relief. Right now, she cannot win, as there are too many townies left alive. If she decreases the population, she already is the sole DON!

Night Five

Night Five was the night of the WOG. I removed boatloads of folks this time, and probably have more to follow. All told, Day 5 accounted for 11 players – all of them townies. The Barzinis are killing steadily now. The Wise Guys remnants are now bonded with Tataglia and that clan may resurge. They’re killing successfully. This pace could yield mafia victory despite the lack of multiple families.

Day Six

Day six brought about the most contentions votes yet. What a run around. I had lots of issues stemming from the Screenshot thing as well as Sasaki’s role as moderator. I think they’re all ironed out, but I could not dissuade Pannonian from opting out of the game. Hard loss for the town, I think, as he was a powerful mafia foe in this game.

Night Six

Night Six has things back on track. Orb strikes again and I’m sure he’ll garner attention – attention which will help the mafia. They’ll need it as both families have targeted one another. This will hurt the resurgent Tataglias – who just make it to mades and reform in two out of three cases – then the loss of Rabbit to the Barzinis. Still, this had to hurt both ways. More townies are heading out in the next day or two, and they took some more casualties tonight. It’s coming down to the wire – and may hinge on the choice of Don Tataglia of all things.

Day Seven

Day Seven was Sasaki’s day to die. No doubt about it, that wagon got rolling early and stayed on track. Even Sasaki posted only a few times – not wanting to waste effort.

The amazing thing was the impact of the lynch. GH revealed his entire role, more or less, in what seemed like “sour grapes.” GH apologized later, but the fault is mine. I never considered the post-death reveal option, making assumptions from previous games. Assumptions, as the host, are your downfall.

Rabbit then comes back and counter-reveals. I’m reading his as still plotting. What nerve to finger the real Don and Luca – betting that the family can absorb the losses.

Night Seven

Night Seven featured a lot of re-structuring and only one kill. Arach was protected, foiling one effort and Don C joined our jokester team for a smackdown effort on Destro. I wogged Drisos in the mix. I think these last are all active, so thankfully that stuff is done. Tataglia laid low this night.

Only Kagemusha is both a living wise guy and unaffiliated , though a few others could be wise guys quickly (a la Hagen) if they worked at it. Cowhead got a lucky break on his 10% chance with roles and ended up identifying Orb. We’ll see what happens

Day Eight

Day eight featured Moros’ adios. He revealed the information I sent him, accurately, and voted for Pindar. His pals, many of them not online, probably would have gone for it and I know Redleg was hoping for a mass lynching. Was not to be. Moros did not quote the PM precisely (clearly abridged tributary line) and bought a semi-justified wagon from the Barzinis and some of the neutrals. Since Orb drew votes from Xiahou and Luigi, he can attack them on non 3rd nights if he wants to. I think he will.

Redleg was on the right track here. Had both Prole and Arach gone down, it would have been a townie win 12-7 right there. As it finished, its town 10 bad guys 9.

Night Eight

Thought they’d done for Orb but orders got changed. Here’s what would’ve been up.

Orb was relaxing at home, listening to a recording of “Lysistrata” and savoring a late-night sandwich when he heard a noise from upstairs. Intruders, at least these days, were a matter to be taken seriously. He went up the steps armed, a filleting knife in his left hand and a Colt double-action Revolver in his right – cocked and ready. He’d take no chances. At the top of the stairs, it became apparent that someone was in his bedroom!

He crept forward, not noticing the figure in the darkened bathroom behind him who looped a thin rope around the newel post at the top of the stairs and pulled it taught.
He did notice the man lying on his bed, a fedora pulled low over his face. The man spoke in a coquettish voice.

“Hey big boy, you don’t look happy to see me.”

Orb fired his pistol, but the man had already been moving as he spoke. Orb’s fire was wild – he’d never been skilled with a pistol – and he rapidly emptied the six-shooter without connecting with his target. Hearing the <click> of an empty cylinder, the man stood up from his impromptu shelter behind the bed and fired off a quick burst from his Johnson gun.

It was now Orb’s turn to move quickly. Even as he too heard the click of his empty chamber and saw the man begin to rise, Orb had backed away from the door, turned, and made a break for the stairs. He hit the thin rope, tripped, and took all 15 stairs in one poorly executed dive. Hands full, he hit the hall floor with a resounding <crack> as the vertebrae in his neck snapped. He suffocated quickly, never regaining consciousness.

He couldn’t feel and never saw the white glove that was dropped on his back. He never heard his killers change the record to Mozart’s Requiem. He was already dead before they exited the house.

The Barzinis continue their attacks, adjusting for the loss of Rabbit pretty smoothly. Ituralde is protected, so that misses, but Kage & Omanes decoy Byz away from protection duties so this time Arach dies. Xiahou is attacked, but missed, but then Orb takes him out for voting for him earlier.

All in all, I think the Mafiosi are targeting one another pretty specifically – but there are too many townies left. An unofficial truce while they weed down the good guys might be the better move. As it is, Tataglia is crippled and largely done, while Barzini lost another made. With Redleg and the pitbulls trying to set traps in the narrower field of candidates, I think this spells trouble.

Day Nine

Hagen is lynched. He’d just become a Made, but he didn’t perform as desired by Redleg and crew and that spelled his doom. The Committee is starting to resemble olden time San Francisco’s – a tad ruthless.

Night Nine

This pretty much ended it for the mafia families. The weakened Barzini’s finished off the Tataglias cleanly, but Orb switched from killing Redleg to taking out Pindar. With Pindar gone, only Alex remains among the mades, so Reenk will need to join him or they’ll need to recruit the apparently reluctant Kage. It would seem that Orb’s identity was revealed somehow. I am not happy about this, since it was a role specific. I will have to check on this.

Day Ten

The lynch vote was pro forma. Alex had been selected in advance by the 7 person Vigilance team. He didn’t get a chance to mount a defense as the townies were certain of his guilt. This breaks the backs of the mafia.

Determined that COwhead did reveal, but re-reading things, I might have been less than clear. I'll demote and not Wog. Not that it'll change the basic math at this point.

I have decided to PM the original 3 Barzinis to see if they’ll concede. If they don’t we’ll have a long time to go with very little action as they’ll lynch Reenk, Kage, and Prole in that order and probably force a reveal from doc, who as far as I can tell is not quite connected with the others. Even with Reenk gone, Prole can’t kill enough quickly enough to succeed.

Night Ten

No action from the Barzinis or Orb. Later in the PM section Prole said to end it gracefully, so I pulled the plug.

A great game – I hope I made the correct narrative decision not to go to the bitter end.

Papewaio
02-08-2007, 04:53
Actually I thought the end was better then having it slowly stumble out. It makes it feel part of something larger.

Great game, had me guessing all the way through.

I was pretty certain early on that the last Don was Prole or Red. So I took a chance a bit later and went with Reds side. What I didn't want was Prole to be lynched until after the number of night kills had went down... at least that way we could get the Don and not try and figure out the replacement... better the Devil you think you know.

Thank you very much :bow:

CountArach
02-08-2007, 06:31
Thanks for that write-up Seamus!

Who exactly was it who killed me?

Banquo's Ghost
02-08-2007, 10:35
Fascinating write-up and a marvellous game, Seamus. It was very enjoyable, by proxy :beam:

I'm sorry I couldn't continue, but I doubt if I would have made any difference. I'm clearly no good at these games - I suspected Luigi in my makeshift team because he sent a very weird first PM which then changed, and bought Tom_Hagen's line with all the trimmings and fries on top. :embarassed:

Great work on you part, and I'm sad to see that there were some glitches that caused a bit of grief. The ending was well chosen.

Well done all! :2thumbsup:

Kommodus
02-08-2007, 15:14
Good write-up, Seamus! :2thumbsup:

Interesting how it was really the mafia families turning on each other that did them in. Sounds like you're right - a temporary truce would've been a better way to go.

Xiahou
02-08-2007, 15:34
Interesting how it was really the mafia families turning on each other that did them in. Sounds like you're right - a temporary truce would've been a better way to go.
It'd never work. To adequately work together, they'd have to know each other's membership, which would just make it a case of seeing who would stab the other in the back first. Also, once they knew who your members were, what would stop them from betraying you postmortem? The families were each other's enemies just as much as they were the town's.

Also, most of the original families members were dead for all but the Barzinis, so you have no way of knowing who the new members- if any- were. Made investigations were unreliable, considering the townie kill groups, a criminal result wouldn't mean mafia. On the subject of townie kill groups, I think it might've been an interesting idea to only allow them with approval from an existing family. Having townies able to get together on their own and kill enemies gives the town too much power imo. I dont think the town is supposed to be able to actively kill their enemies- they're supposed to use lynches.

HughTower
02-08-2007, 15:52
All, except for Sasaki in N1 (when we just wanted, naively, a high profile kill), our targets were decided upon for being quiet or new players. Redleg was not yet the force he would later become, so we were surprised to run into protection there. We targeted these people because we needed kills to promote ourselves & we didn't want them to fail. There was also the small chance we might pick off a hiding detective or doctor. Once the Barzini got into full flow, we assumed they were doing the same to promote their wiseguys quickly, & we worried about being picked off almost unthinkingly. Which is, in the end, what did happen to us.

Oh, luigi, I wish I could give you full credit for directing us to CR, but we targeted him more because he wasn't a focal point in the thread, & it seemed unlikely that he would being protected, & therefore we got our kill. And, while I was aware that you had fingered him (but only subtly, I believe?), I can't answer for the Count & BK - all I know is that we reached a consensus on it without much debate & sent our PM's in.

Ironside
02-08-2007, 15:59
Good write-up, Seamus! :2thumbsup:

In this game, the way to a townie win is just that, to make sure that the mafia is busy killing eachother.
The current rules has a tendency for loopsided results, for both the town and the mafia.

Seamus Fermanagh
02-08-2007, 16:22
Last piece of my write up.

I learned a lot from this first Capo game. I will incorporate many new wrinkles into the next version – which will be a few months off as I think too many super-big games like this would draw down the energy too much. Here’re a few thoughts.

On the strategies and tactics of this game.

I saw four distinct strategies being used by the townies.

Lots of posts and pressure applied in the public thread. The Stranger did this, almost to the point where some accused him of spamming. The basic goal behind this approach, of course, is to force Mafiosi into the conversation and let them trip up on their own stories. Sasaki and others have used this approach in other games. It has 2 drawbacks here. First, it is more a test of your arguing skills than your mafia status. At various points, under pressure, Motep and The Stranger himself came off as having something “wrong” – even though they were just townies. Secondly, the volume of posts generated can actually put off other interaction, providing a “cheap” reason for someone to post once saying “this is silly” and just lurk from there.

Another strategy is the “research and assassinate” approach. Rather than relying on lynching as your primary tool, you identify probable bad guys and then kill them at night. This was the approach that was at least dabbled in by Moros and company – even Redleg’s team tried it once. However, while it is effective in that most of the bad guys aren’t protected at night (as they’re out hunting) it takes relatively large groups of townies and creates confusion in “Guilty” as a detective tool (the chap who helped you on night two may be a Made who thereafter claims to be a townie with a permanent guilty label earned helping you – excellent cover!). For Moros, the Rogue detective, it was a role-centric M.O., but it is a two-edged tool for townies.

A third approach is that applied by Pannonian – heavy direct pressure applied to suspects including suicide pacts. This, by the way, is a powerful if somewhat brutal tactic. The essential fact of any mafia game is that the townies outnumber the bad guys. The townies win only if the town wins and should be willing to absorb casualties in achieving the objective. This is an important point. The drawback here is that this also increases the attrition rate for the town, reducing the overall time available to find the Mafiosi. If you have a relatively short list of suspicious targets, however, it is a brutally effective move. In Capo, Pannonian tried to apply this tactic just a hint late. Targeting Prole would have been a quick townie win if he’d pushed it a day earlier – she was the sole Don and her “I’m not gonna kill myself argument” never quite answered Pannonian’s reasoning. However, with new Dons getting spawned, I think there are too many potential targets to make this a regular tactic. Don’t underestimate this approach’s power in certain situations though.

The fourth approach was a combination of analysis and trap. Force others to participate in townie groups and learn from their absence or group failures who is a bad guy. Coupled with a methodical analysis of posts, this was the tool used to defeat the mafia in this game. Had the mafia turned away from fratricide and focused on killing townies exclusively, this may not have been enough. Combined with internecine warfare, it was a winning combination.

The Mafia, by family.

Tataglia

These folks were snake-bit from the early going. Day One seemed promising, with their Made being elected Director and their Don coming up with a novel strategy for “remote” recruiting so that they wouldn’t be traceable. By the end of day Three, this had all been reversed. Their Don had been traced via text analysis and lynched and then their Made was killed as the result of a small PM error. This is illustrative of the difficulties in Mafia games – the slightest shred of verifiable evidence has profound and quickly used value.

The now-solo Luca, ByzKnight, was resilient enough to find and then recruit the independent “Wise Guy” team of Arach, Boo, and HughT. Kudos to him for a never-sound-retreat attitude. Only the Barzini’s targeting of this group just as the recruiting occurred prevented a resurgence of the Barzini family. As it was, they just got it together again when they were down to Byz and Don Arach.

Corleone

Not sure if this is an example of horrid luck or poor operational security during recruiting. The Barzinis murdered the Luca on night 1 [I think this was luck, but ask Rabbit] and the Made on Night 3 [recruiting backfire?] and then they helped to lynch the Don on day 4. Whether happenstance of circumstance, the Corleones were gutted and sent off before they got to play. I think pevergreen’s reveal during his lynching and GH’s subsequent posthumous reveal were to have a significant impact on the final outcome. Failing to secure this posthumous stuff was my fault – never assume.

Note: at the end of day 4, I was looking at a healthy Barzini family and only 1 solo survivor of BOTH other families! With Prole still getting sniped at over her N1 escape, I thought it could be over almost immediately!

Barzini

Prole and Reenk are relatively passive posters, which ended up suiting them nicely in their roles. As a team they managed to recruit Xiahou, Hagen, Alex, and Pindar – and to secure the services of all 4 relatively early in the game. This was quite powerful, giving them 2-3 kill teams per night session. When they really got rolling, they nearly reversed the problems of Day Four by rapidly piling up the kills. Many of this family have expressed their problems with GH’s reveal, ascribing part of their eventual defeat to it. This has some truth, but the real problem was their targeting of the other mafia families. By happenstance or planning, 6 of their 10 kills were mafia and 1 of the other 4 was a Wise Guy. Add in the Tataglia killing of Barzini’s Rabbit, and we have the sad fact that the mafia killed just as many of its own as the townies. This was the primary source of their defeat. Had more of the killings been of townies, the Tataglia’s might have stayed a threat or the Corleones been able to hunt a bit, but the Barzinis were still the strong ones. They pulled the trigger too early on their fellow Mafiosi.

The Wolf

Sasaki’s solo role was a potential boon to all three families. Unfortunately, the only one who had a sense of trust for him out of all of the starting 9 was Hankerchief – who was murdered almost immediately. Ultimately, Sasaki did want to betray everyone and be capo for himself, but none of the families used his abilities to aid them in the early recruiting/hunting phases. Having a chance to murder while not appearing guilty would have been useful later on, when this evidence was uncovered by the detectives working with the townie group. Had I been doing it, I’d have used him through night 4 or so and then arranged Sasaki’s long walk off a short pier. I think the “favor” thing worried folks too much. He could, at best, rack up 1 a night, so the Wolf wasn’t an immediate threat – but he was treated that way.

Thoughts for future games.

Tighten up the rules on Screenies, Reveals, and Posthumous play. Not being crystal clear on all of these issues hurt my game.

Redesign detective role. Of the old-style detectives, GH has them set up best. If I am going to use them differently, they need tweaking. I’m currently thinking of investigation points, added to targets cumulatively throughout the game. At certain thresholds, this investigation yields certain results.

Make the war between mafia a little harder. Something to encourage them to hold off on a mafia war from the outset and make them willing to try it only if they’re willing to run certain risks.

Make any attack a potential success…or failure…using an attack points v defense points system. [not sure here]

Change the post-mortem role announcements. Not sure if they were too fast, too complete or both.

Feel free to add your own thoughts and suggestions. I will review and use them to make our return to Fatlington even more fun.

THANKS AGAIN ALL FOR A WONDERFUL GAME!

Orb
02-08-2007, 16:36
I think if you removed the option of quoting from your pms (ultimate irony, I got the wiseguy PM of AggonyDuck), we wouldn't have the issues with the pro-townie rules. If they can't identify each other without fail, then they wouldn't have created such a secure detective force.

Don Corleone
02-08-2007, 17:03
Having been relatively active in the targetting discussions, even before I joined in the killing, we Barzinis never thought we were killing other families off. We were trying to kill townies. We just didn't have a clear picture on who that was. I agree, the best way to play Cappo, from the mafia side is to

1) Recruit heavily in the first 2 days.
2) Destroy the remaining town, as best as you can. They're you're strongest enemy.
3) Try to play the other 2 families off of each other until 2 is accomplished. Then balanced killings on each family to keep your own family in power until the other 2 submit.

In ways you can't begin to understand, GH's reveal really sank us (i'm not angry anymore, I'm trying to explain).

If I had been able to further ingratiate myself to Luigi and Redleg, it would have been a fatal flaw. There was a time, right before I left, that I think Red was thinking either Luigi or I was crooked, but not both. If I didn't have to go ass over tea-kettle to save Prole, he might have decided to trust me with the identity of the FBI agent, or allow me info on who a few of the true townies actually were (information we Barzinis were desparate for, our kills were essentially random).

What's more, if I had been able to stay clean, I would never have feared the FBI agent (I would have welcomed having him investegate me!) and I wouldn't have had to push Sasaki to poison the well. In doing that, Sasaki got Redleg to commit totally to wiping up the floor with him. I don't think anybody could have possibly doubted that Redleg was 110% behind the town at that point, something prior to Saturday night, I don't think all the townies and certainly the other families were convinced of.

Again, Redleg, I'm sorry about that. Don't be mad at Sasaki, I pushed him to do it. I never thought anybody would ever take him seriously, I was trying to 'poison the well', as I said, before you could get Cowhead to publicly reveal. I knew you were warming up to bring him out, and once he did, we Barzinis were sunk. Sasaki did try to play fair and was trying desparately to get a living player to do the reveal. I talked him into using it himself, because time was running out.

Stig
02-08-2007, 17:09
We were trying to kill townies.
Aye that's what I thought.
I had contact with Stranger and Luigi when I was killed, at first I thought Stranger might have killed me, but he was clear innocent, I never really thought Luigi could have killed me as he was clearly being the good guy imo.
I was mostlikely just a random kill by the mafia, like this:
"eena meena mina mo, mmm let's kill that guy"
"Who is it?"
"Stig"
"mmmm sounds pretty random to me, let's kill him, he's not on our side so no big loss"

Pannonian
02-08-2007, 17:58
A third approach is that applied by Pannonian – heavy direct pressure applied to suspects including suicide pacts. This, by the way, is a powerful if somewhat brutal tactic. The essential fact of any mafia game is that the townies outnumber the bad guys. The townies win only if the town wins and should be willing to absorb casualties in achieving the objective. This is an important point. The drawback here is that this also increases the attrition rate for the town, reducing the overall time available to find the Mafiosi. If you have a relatively short list of suspicious targets, however, it is a brutally effective move. In Capo, Pannonian tried to apply this tactic just a hint late. Targeting Prole would have been a quick townie win if he’d pushed it a day earlier – she was the sole Don and her “I’m not gonna kill myself argument” never quite answered Pannonian’s reasoning. However, with new Dons getting spawned, I think there are too many potential targets to make this a regular tactic. Don’t underestimate this approach’s power in certain situations though.

I devised this tactic from the dual-lynching of Kage and Sasaki in one of the games, both of whom were claiming to be the detective and that the other was mafia. I refined this to make it even more profitable for the town, so instead of a detective being sacrificed for a mafioso, a plain old townie was used instead.

However, shortly after introducing it, I regretted it. I didn't mind voiding myself from the game, as my later suicide showed. I didn't think it was a bad offer for the town, as HughTower suggested. What I didn't like was just how good the offer was for the town. If the town can reduce the list of suspects to just a few, what's to stop them from challenging each of these suspects with such a dual suicide pact? It will almost certainly be profitable for the town, since the fact that the game is still continuing means townies still outnumber the mafia, and a 1 for 1 exchange is more than good enough for a town win. What's even worse is that this fundament applies to all Mafia games, not just this. The logic of the rules means townies should be willing to submit to this attrition, while the mafia who are outnumbered will be smoked out because they can't afford to get involved, while their refusal highlights their situation. In short, there is no good defence for the mafia against this tactic.

Suicide pacts like that I suggested are much too powerful a tool for the town. Future Mafia games will have to find a way of negating them.

HughTower
02-08-2007, 21:15
It was a bad offer for the town in the context you suggested, which was for just one dual suicide to clear your name, since you had no reasonable evidence for your suspicions. Proletariat, although obviously guilty in hindsight, was picked by you because of an earlier confusion caused by her name beginning with P.

Applied as you state here, then your logic is correct, but then it wouldn't be a game anymore. I actually think a valid response to a similar demand would be to refuse on the grounds that it would ruin the game for everyone - Mafia & town included.

Orb
02-08-2007, 22:11
Or to just say, I'm a townie too, we can lose two of us. A townie would consider it bad for their own side to accept.

Sasaki Kojiro
02-08-2007, 23:28
I think the mafia's main mistake (mine included) was not doing enough reconnaisance work early on. I identified a number of townies, but was then unwilling to get them killed because they believed in my innocence. I used my investigation abilities to find townies, I believe I recommended the killing of Kommodus.

Pindar
02-09-2007, 01:11
Who exactly was it who killed me?

Me.

Papewaio
02-09-2007, 07:19
It will almost certainly be profitable for the town, since the fact that the game is still continuing means townies still outnumber the mafia, and a 1 for 1 exchange is more than good enough for a town win. What's even worse is that this fundament applies to all Mafia games, not just this. The logic of the rules means townies should be willing to submit to this attrition, while the mafia who are outnumbered will be smoked out because they can't afford to get involved, while their refusal highlights their situation. In short, there is no good defence for the mafia against this tactic.

Exchange is only good if you know it is a Mafia. Since at the start of the game more then 50% of the town is townies... then you have a larger chance of killing another townie then a mafia. 2 townies down is not good. Also when the mafia outnumbers the townies you have a better chance of getting a mafia, but again they can afford it and if you get another townie it is worse again.

Not quite, you have to be pretty certain the other guy is Mafia... if it is another townie you have just knocked off 2 for nothing, and two of the most loyal.
On the subject of townie kill groups, I think it might've been an interesting idea to only allow them with approval from an existing family. Having townies able to get together on their own and kill enemies gives the town too much power imo. I dont think the town is supposed to be able to actively kill their enemies- they're supposed to use lynches.

The kill groups made investigation results a grey area... are they wiseguys who are townies or are they mafia?

Also it made be suspicious of Redleg... I thought he was a mafia pretending to be a townie because of the townie kill groups... I could never be sure if the number killed the night before was purely mafia or some of the townies who had figured out what had happened.

And I thought that I might be a target of such a killing if I was mistakenly thought to be mafia by one of my fellow townies by my lack of posting... so I always read the thread after the weekend wondering if my fellow townies had attacked me thinking I was a mafia agent...

Seamus Fermanagh
02-09-2007, 14:06
I think the mafia's main mistake (mine included) was not doing enough reconnaisance work early on. I identified a number of townies, but was then unwilling to get them killed because they believed in my innocence. I used my investigation abilities to find townies, I believe I recommended the killing of Kommodus.

I actually thought it would take a night or two to get the mafia recruited and killing, so I expected a greater degree of recon from the families. Those that could went straight to the killing. There are (+)s and (-)s to both approaches.

Caius
02-12-2007, 16:11
The best game ever!

Very late congrats!!