PDA

View Full Version : Have some cake...its free..No I won't want it back..honest!!

Third spearman from the left
01-23-2007, 14:54
Ok so its not about cake but really about land. In my current game (which is my first on Rome, 1.5 Gold H/H)

I'm the Julli and things are going quite well, most of gaul is mine, the Spanish have tried it on but heir's army and ships are keeping them in check and Macedon are far too strained at the moment.

The thing is the senate wants me to take lands which will be a pain to defend in the long run, so I'm looking to give them away on the cheap, so I can go for all of spain.

But no one will take them from me, for fear I'll take them back, even the Brutti. Has anyone any tips on giving regions away to romans or other factions. I've heard it said that the senate will some times take regions as gifts?

Any views or tips welcome :yes:

Caius
01-23-2007, 15:27
Ok so its not about cake but really about land. In my current game (which is my first on Rome, 1.5 Gold H/H)

I'm the Julli and things are going quite well, most of gaul is mine, the Spanish have tried it on but heir's army and ships are keeping them in check and Macedon are far too strained at the moment.

The thing is the senate wants me to take lands which will be a pain to defend in the long run, so I'm looking to give them away on the cheap, so I can go for all of spain.

But no one will take them from me, for fear I'll take them back, even the Brutti. Has anyone any tips on giving regions away to romans or other factions. I've heard it said that the senate will some times take regions as gifts?

Any views or tips welcome :yes:
With a Diplomat you can do it.A option is give region

bedlam28
01-23-2007, 16:57
Hiya,

I think Caius, its not the how to process it, as I'm sure Third Spearman knows how to 'attempt' to give land, its more that they just wont take it.

As far as I can gather its more about the game dynamics of trust. but I've had no luck either on working that out.
I try and screw no-one over, but if someone betrays an alliance I destroy them, and somehow I get seen as the :furious3:

My surrounding factions and even Allies wont take land saying that they are sure I will just take it back. Honest - I wont, its a dump, its not worth the mud its built with.. go on take it.. I'll even through in a map... no?...:furious3:

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with Spearman...

Caius
01-23-2007, 16:59
Give like a gift.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-23-2007, 18:23
Give like a gift.
Unfortunately they rarely take gifts either.

May I suggest that the best option is to destroy all buildings and withdraw your forces from that region. The region will then revolt to the rebels. The Senate will then ask you to take it back, but you don't have to listen to those grumpy old men with beards, do you?

Glaucus
01-23-2007, 21:03
Maybe if you move your army off the land, then try and gift it they will accept. It seems to me the only reason they wouldn't is if they are afraid you will just conquer it back, so if you bring your armies away it should work.

Severous
01-23-2007, 22:10
I rarely want to give regions away.

I only did this once. When I wanted my 50 Brutii regions to include lots of regions in the east rather than in Italy/Gaul.

Let it rebel after being sacked of everything of worth. Put it on very high tax and moved all troops out of the region. Earns a pretty penny before it rebels. With no buildings and no army in the region the rebel garrison that spawned wont be too bad.

Senate will give you an additional mission to go get it again because no true Roman should loose a city in this way...even a spearman on the left. So its a temporary solution and a distraction.

Alternative is hold it and extract maximum money but avoid riots. An enemy will come along soon enough...you dont have to hold it when they do.

jhhowell
01-23-2007, 22:59
Maybe if you move your army off the land, then try and gift it they will accept. It seems to me the only reason they wouldn't is if they are afraid you will just conquer it back, so if you bring your armies away it should work.

I think the main reason the AI is coded to refuse land gifts is because they will usually be unable to hold the province. City garrisons are not part of the deal, so the receiving faction would get an empty city, almost certain to riot and revolt within a couple of turns. Though I've never seen the AI accept a land deal even when they had armies within two turns march. I think it's just hard coded to refuse, not subject to any calculation about whether the province could be held.

If anyone has ever succeeded in giving a province away through the "diplomacy" system, I'd be interested to hear of it. All I've ever managed to do is the "trash the place and let it revolt" approach.

Poulp'
01-23-2007, 23:42
If you have good relations with the senate, it might work

It did for me, as the Julii. It was in 250 BC IIRC; still early in the campaign...

Intranetusa
01-24-2007, 03:09
I've had this problem as well.

Usually when you want to give away land as a gift, you also have to give away money gifts as well (those greedy bastards).

I usually give away a city + 3000-5000 denrii + map information as a gift to allies or neutral factions

01-24-2007, 13:07
OK so maybe the extra money approach is the key here. I have not tried giving a large sum such as 3000 -5000 as everything is a bit tight at the moment cash wise.

But I might save my game and then try giving all my money plus the region.

If someone else with bucket loads of cash could also try that would be great.

It would be great for my long term game if I could get the senate more regions away from Rome giving it a real power base. :egypt:

HumphreysCraig00
01-25-2007, 00:21
I dont know what the system for accepting land gifts is as;

My carthage strategy is to take the too strong beggining army they have and destroy all the roman factions (except SPQR who are far too strong) with it as soon as things start.

I ally with the Greeks and they will accept the scipii town on sicili (sp?) without any cash bonus, and when I gave it to them empty it spawned with a full stack of 5 experience peasants that was with my army and a scipii relief force still within 1 tile of it.

But they wont take any of the italian provinces nomatter how far away my army is or how large the cash bonus is (though Ive only tried 3000 denarii, never 5000)

Worse still the constant refusals ruin my diplomats stats lol.

It may be random or they may compare how strong your faction is to thiers as they were stronger when they acepted but weaker when they refused (brutii had took some of thier settlements but then left them to revolt in order to fight me)

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-25-2007, 08:32
I am sure that when a faction gets a city given to them they get a garrison of three units of equivalent strength to town watch. When I was playing as Parthia once, part of the ceasefire deal with the Selucids was that I received Selucia for 500 denarii, they accepted, I got that city and it automatically gained three units of Eastern Spearmen for me to garrison it with. Of course they decided to incur my wrath the following turn by taking it back, ah well it earned me a good two thousand denarii while I held it.

01-25-2007, 13:50
Sound the Trumpets :horn:

Roll out the slaves :whip: :whip:

The Senate now own Segastica!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sp?)

Ok so my testing got some results and the bottom line was that the money had to be right regardless of the state of the region. I managed to get the Senate to take the land for 1700 d and even managed to get the Spanish (who I'm at war with) to take it for 6000 d.

So it would seem Ted Dibiase was right "every man has his price" Feel free to insert gaul, senator, rebel as needed.

My aim now is to see how involved the senate will get in the fighting of Macedon, will it send or build new troops? Can I give over more regions I don't want? Will they develop a mini empire?

I will keep you posted :2thumbsup:

HumphreysCraig00
01-25-2007, 17:16
If my memory serves the people who have done this before find that the senate only fights defensively, I may be wrong though.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-25-2007, 19:07
The Senate took land?! Wow, you were lucky, they have never accepted anything off me before. Good luck with your campaign.

Caius
01-25-2007, 19:09
They are more pacific in RTW 1.5
I remember in RTW 1.0 they had a lot of ships.

Fate
01-25-2007, 22:10
As my last RTW campaign as the Ilberians in RTG, the scippi had destroyed carthage and was spreading along the north african coast taking numid towns (my allies). I held tingi on the gibraltan straits and i beat the romans back from there, then proceeded to steam roll accross the north african coast, taking town after town from the romans. I tried to give it back to my allies the numids, but alas, they wouldnt take any from me. So they were left with two or 3 provinces deep in the desert instead of taking around 4 coastal towns for free.
Foolish eh?

01-26-2007, 12:28
Hi Fate, I think this is where the money question comes into play.

I now believe they would have taken a region from you but only when enough money was offered. It makes sense really the AI is trying to guard itself against taking on a region it might not be able to hold down or pay upkeep on, the money allows them to ensure a longer hold on the region.

In my Current game the Senate has now sent a large stack and its best general to the region, Macedon has been holding back while it sorts out a few rebels but an attack is coming soon....I can feel it! :2thumbsup:

Fate
01-26-2007, 16:46
Well the way i viewed it, the Scippi had held the region for about ten turns, before i "liberated" it and i tried to give it back to my long standing allies whom i had never made a bad move towards. Yet they still wouldnt take it, i suppose the money situation makes sense, though i do think there should be some kind of bonus, similar to the revolt system, where if a town is liberated by an ally it should go back to its original owner.

On a completely different note, nice to see someone from the northwest on here, im from the wirral myself!!

01-30-2007, 17:53
Fate of the Wirral.... seems a little uncertain to me. :laugh4:

I'm from the city centre myself...also nice to see a fellow northwest RTW fan :2thumbsup:

Back to topic...try a money gift with the region on a saved game, it really does seem to do the trick.