PDA

View Full Version : Consul of the Roman Republic Game

Marshal Murat
01-30-2007, 04:36
Consul of the Roman Republic
In the glorious age of 150 B.C. the Roman Republic was flourishing. As an expanding superpower, it had expanded the boundaries of it's realm to include Spain, Carthage, Greece, and all of Italy.
Now, the two Consuls for the year, Marcus Tribulius decided to engage in a very drunken banquet one night. During the heavy drinking, there was discovered in the wine a large amount of hemlock. Unfortunately, the Consul had consumed the hemlock, and promptly dropped dead.
Now the Roman Republic is in an uproar. No one can claim the title of Consul until another man is elected to the Consulship.
As such, there was declared an open election for the consuls. However, the post was fraught with danger, as many of the men who applied suddenly dropped out. Now the race is tight between the many more powerful candidates of the Roman Republic.

Rules for Consul
There are a multitude of men seeking such a presitgious post in the Republic, and every single man is ruthless. Debates in the Senate House, where men debate and talk, and the Plebs applaud a great bill that passes. The idea of the game is that there are an amount of characters, who seek the election to the post of Consul. Whoever incurs the popular support of the plebs will win the election to Consul. Every decision turn, the plebs will announce one man who they feel is the best, the worst, and one they will spit upon in the street. Everyone will start with 1,000 denarii, and then some will become richer overnight, due to several relatives dying suddenly, and willing their estates away.

The Plebians will be played by me, along with the positions of all auxiliary characters, save for the Praetors who will be 2 players who will PM me of their decisions on who to prosecute. Its about playing your cards right. While the money may present a problem, this is a trial run, so bugs will be worked out ASAP.
Auxiliary characters-

The Praetor, two who will investigate into two candidates every round, to determine whether they have been bribing or using money in very unusual ways, and will prosecute them to the fullest extend of the law! Never know who will be investigated, and who will have vigiles knocking at their door.

Pontifex Maximus, a kind old soul, he can protect a man from the dangers of the world for a month, providing him food and spirits. No man will defy the Gods! However, man doesn't live by bread alone, and a 'donation to the most glorious Jupiter' is often appreciated. Once in hiding, the Senator cannot exit, for fear that someone might accuse him of cowardice as he recovers from the 'sickness of a month'.

Cornelius Spero, the most understood man in the lowest levels of society, he can take money once a month to send some of his 'friends' to visit a very special man in Rome. While his mercenary attitude of 'highest bidder' often leaves men emptying their latifundia's of valuables, it provides the best service.

Tribune Marcus Tinctillius, a most influential and respected representative of the plebians, his ability and acumen with them will often sway their support to a certain person. His wage is fairly nice, but it often requires a bit of support.

Madame Servilia, the brothels of Rome wouldn't be the same without Madame Servilia! A gracious lady, she often provides the dirtiest secrets of praetor, rendering him so disgraced he is unable to continue such an investigation. Her services aren't what one man might call cheap either.

So sign up, and lets see who meets an ending graced by Jupiter, or in the gutter of Rome.

Motep
01-30-2007, 04:52
eh...why not...count me in.

Csargo
01-30-2007, 06:09
I think this would probably need more than twelve people to work so I think you should probably sign it up on the Quete.

Marshal Murat
02-01-2007, 03:27
Duly listed.

Anyone else want to call a spot!?

Redleg
02-01-2007, 03:32
Sure - I might have lots of questions though.

Sasaki Kojiro
02-01-2007, 03:59
I don't understand it at all. Is it a mafia game?

Marshal Murat
02-01-2007, 04:55
I tried to avoid making it overly Mafia-esque.
I added the election and a third person popular view, along with some variables that give an edge to some players.

Think of it as a 'Mafia+Democracy=Rome'