PDA

View Full Version : cavalry general unit

Fenix7
01-30-2007, 14:34
Anyone using them frequently?

Stig
01-30-2007, 14:50
Not really, I always bring an another elite cavalry unit. So I have the 48 men instead of 27, besides the Bodyguard unit isn't that good ... not worth it imo

t1master
01-30-2007, 14:53
it seems the point at which a unit breaks and routes, it's so far gone in terms of size that the general's rally function is not worth the cost.

a question about the bonus your troops get by his presence? does an non specific genereal give the bonus by his presence, or is it just the gen unit?

Stig
01-30-2007, 15:00
does an non specific genereal give the bonus by his presence, or is it just the gen unit?
Don't really know ... in SP campaign there's a difference between a General and a Captain, but if I'm correct this difference is not present in MP, as you always have a captain

Paolai
01-30-2007, 15:17
Anyone using them frequently?

always.

ElmarkOFear
01-30-2007, 15:39
I always use them, for their 2 Hitpoints, which tends to keep my general unit around a lot longer than normal. hehe :)

t1master
01-30-2007, 16:45
can someone post the bonus/benefits the gen unit provides?

R'as al Ghul
01-30-2007, 16:48

That hasn't been disclosed yet, afaik.
In the text file that contains the units stats there's no indication of a bonus.
The bodyguard units have the attribute "general_unit" which is described as "The unit can be used for a named character's bodyguard".

R'as

RTKBarrett
01-30-2007, 16:54
Im 50/50 with using general units, it suits some factions more than others in having them...

Stig
01-30-2007, 17:40
as I said, mostlikely there is none.
the generals unit is made for SP where you have Family Members with traits, these traits give the benefits.
In MP you don't have these traits, so mostlikely also no benefits

Dionysus9
01-30-2007, 18:00
I've been using the bodyguard unit for my general, mostly so that I can use teh rally function but also so my Gen doesn't get killed too fast (wich puts morale penalties on all units and can cause an untimely chain rout). I have a tendency to let my gen get in a lot of trouble, so the extra hit point really helps keep him alive.

A lot of times it seems that T1 is correct that by the time you need the rally function the routing units are too far gone to respond. But I've also noticed that if a unit routs early in the game and still has a fair number of men left, you can use the rally function, and they will quickly rally--which is especially useful if you are using cav to skirmish enemy missiles...sometimes you can turn routing cav around even before it hits friendly lines and go back in for another sortie.

Also, when the battle is hot and men are wavering all down the line, the rally function can make a huge difference keep them fighting for substantially longer.

But anyway, I do think the unit is pretty expensive and I've started experimenting with other units that have the rally functioin (anything without special ability (wedge/shooting circle)... Danish scout cav for example)... This way you can still use the rally function without having to pay extra for the 2 hit points.

If any inherent bonus is being given to nearby units, I'll wager it is connected to the generals star on the unit icon-- not the type of unit used for general (except of course some gens have a rally function and some dont.)

Stig
01-30-2007, 18:04
If you always get your general into trouble, make him a normal infantry unit and keep him in the second line till you need him. Inf is better in melee combat then cav

Dionysus9
01-30-2007, 18:19
Thats good advice Stig, I haven't used an infantry general for years. It seems like toward the end game I'm always in need of more cavalry so its handy to have a cav gen (probably because I never take enough cav, especially now that people are taking 10+ cav routinely)....

I'll have to load up on cav... thx

Stig
01-30-2007, 18:37
Well see it like this:
A general costs you 1k, inf only 600, give them a experience upgrade (hey it is your general) and it costs you 750 max. That means you can bring an extra unit of good archers next to this (or even 2 peasant archers)

Paolai
01-30-2007, 18:45
a 21 cavs unit is much more easy to micro than an infantry unit or a 41 cav unit. Thats why I always choose the body guard as general + like Emlo said for their 2 Hitpoints. They fight like a 42 cavs unit so 1 more.

Fenix7
01-30-2007, 19:32
2 Hitpoints. They fight like a 42 cavs unit so 1 more.

Indeed. For example Egyptian royal mamuluk cavalry costs 1050 florins and can't get near to the cavalry bodyguard unit (costs 900). Not to mention the effect of the egyptian bodyguard cavalry unit on the field.

Lavos
01-30-2007, 20:47
I like to use some none ha & no wedge horse unit for general, so he gets rally ability, but not all factions have that.

Callahan9119
01-30-2007, 20:48
i always take one, especially the ones that cost $820 :beam: , in all era games i take the cheaper one, i dont know hp or sweet jesus on their side, they just seem to last longer...even with the lower manpower, i dont ever even seem to use rally ability, but i dont know how effective it is, i just never have the time, as this is my first week of MP with new game...i am still getting my wits about me, and micro managing my cav is taking up all my precious brainpower

i havnt takin a inf general since kensei's in shogun :2thumbsup:

i dont take bodyguard in low florin games: unless i am my aztec savages, chasing woodsmen and archers all over in my fancy pajamas :sweetheart:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
02-01-2007, 00:27
nope. use inf. IMO, if your cav Gen gets caught, he usally is dead depending on the situtinon..

t1master
02-01-2007, 01:22
so a non special/uber ability cav unit is chosen, he can get the rally?

doesn't work for infantry does it?

-Silent-Someguy
02-01-2007, 03:00
As long as your general unit doesn't have a special ability button i.e circle and shoot, fire arrows, wedge etc. He will get the rally horn. Inf too.

I always use the bodyguard when I can take it as it lives for ages and owns it up.

Using an inf as ur gen is dangerous because a cav can mow it over easily, especially if u leave him behind ur other inf.

Dionysus9
02-01-2007, 17:44
I tend to agree with Someguy (cav gens are preferable, if only because they can escape from enemy infantry--whereas an infantry gen cant escape from anything)....but that being said, I played a few games with a handgunner general and its kinda fun; it gave me some gunpowder when I wouldn't normally have it; and the gunners seem to fight pretty well even vs. cav.

T1m, any unit w/o special ability (including handgunners) can rally.

But the bodyguard is more versatile overall, faster, and more resiliant. If I just keep him in reserve until the endgame I'll keep him out of trouble. My trouble is pulling him too early, like a goalie in a hockey game.

DONT PULL THE PONTIFF BACHUS.
:idea2:

CoachAub
02-02-2007, 01:22
I tend to agree with Someguy (cav gens are preferable, if only because they can escape from enemy infantry--whereas an infantry gen cant escape from anything)....but that being said, I played a few games with a handgunner general and its kinda fun; it gave me some gunpowder when I wouldn't normally have it; and the gunners seem to fight pretty well even vs. cav.

T1m, any unit w/o special ability (including handgunners) can rally.

But the bodyguard is more versatile overall, faster, and more resiliant. If I just keep him in reserve until the endgame I'll keep him out of trouble. My trouble is pulling him too early, like a goalie in a hockey game.

DONT PULL THE PONTIFF BACHUS.
:idea2:

Bachus, I agree with your "goalie theory". I reserve my general until as late as possible, hopefully no one gets around my flanks. He crushes partial units and left-over foot soldiers! I most often use larger unit cav. w/40 men as opposed to 20, etc. I have used the gen. bg unit and when I don't, I miss the rally function. I think that function is often crucial in a game where your opponent has lots of cavalry and tries to rout your mass of infantry.

pike master
02-02-2007, 06:52
check out the ballistae unit card you might find something interesting :)

Dionysus9
02-02-2007, 17:48
I wont have access to the game for another 12 or so hours, can you just tell me what it is MadCat? :yes: the suspense is killing me