PDA

View Full Version : Mafia VI: Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Return of the Mafia [Concluded]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Andres
03-07-2007, 17:35
If any person in the Gameroom deserves a 1k+ thread to his name, it is our dear General.

Here you are :bow:

Kagemusha
03-07-2007, 19:50
And one more over the top.Thanks for GH for hosting these wonderfull games.:bow: After the intensity of Seamus large game and Midgard Saga,i was pretty tired of mafia games, but still i got sucked into this thriller in the final rounds, resulting near paranoia in the end.:2thumbsup: Now im going to take a little brake from these games,but will be back later if not sooner, atlest when we see next GH´s game,with vengeange.~;)

GeneralHankerchief
03-07-2007, 22:24
Thanks guys. :bow:

I'll be out of town for a few days, so it doesn't like the commentary will be up until either Sunday or Monday. Sorry about that.

Ignoramus, sign me up for your game if I don't get back in time.

Reenk Roink
03-07-2007, 23:34
A good job out to the Mafia, Dutch_guy and AndersTheCunning. You certainly had me fooled until my death. :2thumbsup: You should be proud, this is the hardest game to win.

Just a note, sorry for my remarks on your intelligence; they are not to be taken seriously. It is a stratagem I use to lure out a Mafia. In Interficio quod Scrupulosa, I berated the Mafia a great deal, and got Don Corleone to make a reference to it.

Thanks for hosting another brilliant game GeneralHaknerchief. Hope to see the write up.

ChuggtheSquirrel
03-08-2007, 04:31
Yay, townie people!!! ~:cheers: Thanks for hosting this, GH!!!

Dutch_guy
03-08-2007, 18:06
Okay, here's my write up. It's quite long.

Oh dear.

Congratulations Dutch_guy and AndresTheCunning,

you are in the mafia!
Basically, it is your job to eliminate everyone in the town (a difficult task) and stay alive. Each of you, every night, is to PM me with the name of the person you wish to kill along with the method that you will use (this can be as much as a story, or as little as a weapon).

I will probably be editing the kills/adding bits to make them conform so don't feel obligated to write the entire description.

When one of you dies the other gets to kill two people a night.

There are only two things you can't do: reveal your identity to anyone aside from me and your partner, and kill each other.

Good luck, watch out for the Detective, and happy hunting!!!
GH

Round one.

The usual pre mafia chatter erupted, with a fake Reenk claim and an Ice vote. By Disco, naturally. Behind the scenes me and my partner in Crime Andres discussed the kills. We chose Ultra (sorry about that) and Omanes. We picked both randomly, although we did narrow down the pool of potential kills by usual activity. IE, Sasaki wasn’t going to die in round one. I’d Kill Omanes (who may have grown out to be a major poster, participant) and Andres killed Ultra. Really, we had no idea this was Ultra’s sixth demise in the first round. Had we known, we would have probably extended his life by a round, maybe even two.

After the kills were posted people wasted no time voting, randomly as always. Notable things included Sasaki voting for the detective (Orb), Kommodus voting Andres and Csar voting for Sasaki, just because he could. I decided to act as usual, and abstain. Andres would go with the flow.

Eventually HughTower was lynched, all was going well.

Round Two

‘Now who wants to play 'guess the soon to be dead townie'?

Was Disco’s first line in the second round, I’m sure Andres – as did I – noted this post with interest, for indeed we needed to pick two more unfortunates. Disco’s post also lead to eventually posting a picture of (his?) head taken from a weird angle, hilarity ensued and people were using the picture to shamelessly bash Disco.

Andres and I decided to kill Zalmoxis, and Orb this round. Not knowing we would successfully eliminate the detective. A very, very, lucky break. I was also to use poor Zalmoxis for my first in story kill. Andres went with the bull killings again.

During the day the town, again, voted aimlessly. 8 different people were targeted, ending with Disco being lynched [should have kept the picture to yourself...]. His odd posting behavior had been noted by Kommodus, and others, and had thus doomed himself. I (along with 15 others) abstained, again, as to not draw any attention. Andres also survived this round unscathed.

Round three.

Nothing much happened during the day this round, although Kommodus and Seamus tried to analyse the non voters. Numerous names were mentioned, including mine and that of Caius. The latter, having only started playing mafia, had no particular style which he could use to blame his non votes (or actual votes) on. I, however, had, and it would prove to be a good argument for me to argue my innocence later on.

The kills that night were to be Sapi, and Rythmic. Xiahou, Motep and Jimbob were also candidates. However, Xiahou was posting too much to have a considerable role (in our opinion) and Motep and JimBob were more likely to get WOGed due to not participating. Hence we didn’t want to waste precious kills on a potential WOG victims. Plus, we found that Rythmic and Sapi’s style corresponded with one which we would have used ourselves, had we been detectives, and with these kills we really thought we’d get our most feared competitor. Not knowing, of course, that we had seen to that a round earlier.

I continued my story with Sapi’s kill, and Andres killed Rythmic in some crazy horse-meets-whip death. I was starting to worry his crazy killings would attract attention to him, even though I knew a lot of the players didn’t heed to kill descriptions a lot.

After the kills were posted Caius started to attract the most votes. Sadly I think the fact that English isn’t his native language probably killed him, as he was quickly bandwagoned simply because he wasn’t able to give his assailants the answers they desired, even though he probably could.

Round Four

Andres was out this round, due to Carnival in southern Holland so after discussing our next kills: Moody, Boo, Ignoramus and JimBob, it was my job to write the descriptions. Good, now I could kill the brothers in tandem, for drama purposes obviously, and make progress with my story. At this point I had eliminated a few of my previous mafia ‘goals’ and had decided on a final one, with goals I mean story endings. The future stories would all be geared towards that goal.

The arguments following the kills were getting harsher by the posts. Heck, GenH even had to make sure everyone was still seeing this as the game it is. Notable people who got the brunt of the votes were Xiahou and Sigurd. Which was good since both of them we’re so completely innocent that they took all the attention from the actual killers. To add to the drama, the re-vote was counted incorrectly. X was to die, instead of Sigurd. A bummer, since we were pulling for Sigurd’s lynch that round. He’s proven to be quite the mafia player over the past games, and we really wanted him to die without us having to prove his innocence. Eventually, however, Xiahou was lynched. On top of that, fortune turned against the town: 5 people were WOG’ed. This saved us two nights worth of killing, and one lynch. Even better was that we got what we had hoped for, as we didn’t kill Motep, Jimbob and Ignoramus particurally for this reason.

Round 5

This round was marked by the Pevergreen – Pannonian conflict. Pever had, apparently, posted a screenshot. And Pannonian, fearing a repeat of a certain Capo incident, immediately attacked Pever for it. This all happened whilst I was sleeping, so I missed the actual screenshot, and didn’t comment on it. I didn’t miss Pever’s exclusion from the game: another free kill.

This round Andres and I decided to kill Chug and Faust. Andres thought DOH (whom Faust replaced) could have some special role, considering GH took the effort of replacing DOH. I saw what he was getting at, and we agreed on the kills. Chug was to die because he was a semi lurker, and players like that didn’t fit in our grand strategy. Namely that we’d kill of all the silent players, who wouldn’t be considered for a WOG, due to their semi activeness.

This round was also the first in which Andres joined the story I had been writing the past rounds. He couldn’t help himself, however, and just had to post this:

"Now, come on, you don't remember that brothel, back in those days, in Las Vegas?" the pale mafioso asked. Finally, there was some realization on Faust's face. He stuttered.

"N-no, that's impossible... it can't be y-you!"

"Oh, but it is."

"B-but, you d-died! Those f-female secret agents! They choked you with their breasts!"

Oh well, I wasn’t in any position to complain. The story was intact, and a bit of humour added. To be honest guys, I did wonder (on more than one occasion) why no one took note of the spirit in which the Andres kills were written. I may of course be a bit biased, since I knew his identity from the start, but the kills are somewhat fitting for the jovial Belgian he is.

After the killings were posted, suspicion fell on Pannonian. The Driving force behind the discussions. This wasn’t helped by the fact Kommodus’ first analysis (using Holmes) pointed directly to him, and Andres - as a matter of fact. Pannonian, other than Sigurd, didn’t want to base his vote on Kommodus’ brief analysis, and requested one of all the players. Instead of a select few, which Kommodus’ found to be the most suspicious at that point.

Eventually not Pannonian but Sigurd was lynched. He didn’t put up much of a defence, but I guess that was because his own game was about to finish. Writing a write-up about ones game, or role, is tiring work you know...

Round 6

14 were alive after Sigurd’s execution. Seamus and Redleg were to join the corpses the following night. Seamus because no one had every even considered his guilt, meaning he wasn’t going to get lynched anytime soon. Plus, I still didn’t quite get over that lynched-while-sleeping death in one of the previous games. His influence managed to kill me with only two other votes aside from his own. Needless to say, his analysis would probably at some point get us [the mafia]] into trouble, and that was of course the main reason for doing him in.

Redleg was a special case, all our kills were based on activity. Going from relatively quiet posters, to big time posters. We didn’t expect to have to kill him, we would have thought his lack of posting (IE: following one specific track like a pitbull) would get him lynched. However, no one seemed to catch on to this idea and thus we had to get rid of him.

After the killings Redleg wasted no time in thanking Sasaki for killing him. Others caught on, and Sasaki was bandwagoned. The majority of the votes that round went to the unfortunate ‘Mouth of the Frontroom’, Sasaki.

Another event worth noting was that Kommodus finally released his findings, gathered using Holmes.

The good side of this was that this was what Holmes got on me:

Dutch_guy

Statistics look very normal. Activity level typically low, both in post length and frequency. If he’s guilty he’s doing a tremendous job of looking normal.

Which was very good.

The downside, however, was the following:

AndresTheCunning

Only a few games to compare. In Capo, average post length was 722 characters, average interval was 648 minutes, average delay was 1048 minutes. In Midgard Saga, average post length was 569 characters, average interval was 321 minutes, average delay was 533 minutes. Current activity level much closer to Capo, with an average post length of 937 characters, an average interval of 994 minutes, and an average delay of 1084 minutes. Activity suggests less frequent but more well-thought-out posts. Very likely to have a role.

Vote: AndresTheCunning

Round 7

Only eleven remained, and both of us were still alive. This was going well, although Andres did get a couple of votes last round.

Also, the following was added to the lynch description, by the General:

There may be a small change in voting procedure next round; I am still unsure. Keep posted.

Needless to say, I immediately PMed him, sensing this wasn’t going to be in the mafia’s advantage.

Anyway, Reenk and Pannonian were to die this round. Pannonian was a must, as I didn’t see him attracting any votes in the near future. He’s quite convincing in his arguments, and people don’t like voting for him since he actually takes the time to answer ones accusation and point out the fallacy of them, if they are, in fact, wrong. He doesn’t hesitate to dig pages and even more pages deep just to find something suitable to use. His efforts were, however, not in the mafia’s interest. And so he had to die.

Reenk was tough, we killed him because we so wanted the endgame with Crazed, Kage, Me, Andres, ByzantineKnight and CountArach. Posters which were prone to go with the flow, and keeping silent types until the end does automatically add some suspicion to them. Remember how you all thought it was Kage after the last Lynch ? Well, that’s what we wanted. It came a bit too late however. We also wanted to keep Kommodus alive a bit longer, however, in retrospect that tactic didn’t work out as well as we had planned it to. ‘That plan‘obviously referring to Kommodus’ analysis and opinions becoming more suspicious after each round he adds to his life.

However, we chose Reenk.

Oh, I also forgot to send in my original Reenk kill, which put the pressure on GH to write a kill in character without knowing the slightest bit of the story I was writing along the way. I had a kill thought up for Pannonian too. Just for reference I’ll add them

Here are the two kills, First one is Reenk’s kill, following that is Pannonian’s death.:

Reenk knew they were coming for him, after Seamus and Redleg were killed he knew as much.

He had however taken measures to at least minimise the damage his death would cause. The
transportation of the object would still take place, and it would take place at the same time
as originally sceduled. That wouldn't change, no matter how much bodies the mafia would
add to their already extensive list. He had seen to that.

Earlier that day, after barricading his door and locking himself in his bedroom, he had
started to think out his plans and had decided to phone two people. Two people he knew he
could trust. However, to be even more sure, he only fed both of them bits and pieces of information, they would need each other to make it work.

Little did he know that he had just told the mafia a considerable amount, and had just doomed
his friend.

The phone rang. Reenk, expecting the call, quickly answered. The moon light coming from the window to his left showed an agitated Reenk.

Have you burned the data, like I asked, have you memorised it ?! Reenk said

Oh yes, I have. Memorised it, that is. I'm not burning it, however. The voice replied

Wait, why ? We agreed that was the best course of action to take ? Reenk added, surprised

Yes, indeed we did. However, I daresay you knew back then what you're about to find out.

You phoned the wrong guy Reenk, and the other guy you called is going to die, just like you. - Reenk didn't know what he was hearing.

So you see Reenk, we now know the exact date of transportation. Heck, we even know the truck used for the actual transportation. The other guy you phoned knows the name of the driver Both are going to die. The voice, the mafioso, jeered.

The mafioso laughed, and Reenk not knowing what to do hung up the phone.

He had to phone the other, he had to warn him. He picked up the phone again, but was distracted by something shining in his left eye. Probably the rays of the moon, he thought, as he turned to shut the curtains of his window.

He saw the source of the light, and it wasn’t the moon. The redish light came from the figure lying prone on the building across his window. A loud bang ended Reenk’s worries forever, the last thing he saw was a yellowish flash.

--------------------

After Reenks call earlier that night, Pannonian had become increasingly worried. He didn't quite see the merrit in Reenk calling him, he didn't like the fact he knew stuff the mafia were prepared to kill for. And after that night's phone call, he knew a whole lot more than he knew before.

The name of the driver, the one actually transporting it, was valuable information. However, he comforted himself with the knowledge that merely the name of the driver wasn't enough to get ones hands on it. They'd need the actual date of transportation, and where exactly the truck would start it's journey from.

Nevertheless Pannonian felt unsettled, and decided he needed a break. He'd travel to the countryside. Leaving the town, taking the information with him. He memorised it, but knowing he'd forget it as soon as the feeling of danger passed him by, he wrote the name on a piece of paper, which he put in his wallet.

He packed lightly, and he started his car at about the time Reenk was shot through the head.

Driving the path which was also called a road, for lack of a better word, he noted how a blue flashing light was steadily coming closer to him from the way in front of him. It didn't take him long to register what caused it: the cops.

He was surprisingly pulled over, a young pale officer stepped out of the car and approched Pannonian.

Evening Sir, the officer said.

Evening officer, what's the problem. I'm in quite a hurry. Pannonian answered.

Yes, so are we. The Mafioso just seem to be one step ahead of us every time, it's hard to bear that we can't stop these poor people getting murdered.
Needless to say, a lone car caught our attention, so, can I see you're driverslicense then ? The officer said.

Pannonian handed him his wallet, not noticing the piece of paper slipping out of it. The officer picked it up, and saw the name written on it.

Why is name accompanied by the word ‘driver’? Your next kill perhaps, you filthy mafioso ! - The officer replied, his left arm going for his holstered gun.

No, no ! That man is in grave danger ! Pannonian replied.

The mafioso are trying to get to him, don't you see, I'm not one of them, I swear ! As he said this, a thought flashed through his keen mind.

Wait a minute, Pan said, how'd you know the word driver was important to the mafioso, how'd you know it'd be their next kill ? You're not able to know that, unless of course you’re...

...a mafioso. The officer finished with a grin.

Pannonian looked in fear at the laughing face of the pale mafioso, and didn't even try to get away as a pistol was aimed for his head and fired. Within moment, Pannonian could think no more.

Hmm only seven more to go*, the officer mumbled. Walking back to his car, holstering his gun.

After the kills were posted the following announcement was made by the GenH himself:

Nine left. Abstains will be counted as "no vote"s from now on.

Not good, I’d actually have to vote. This would undoubtedly get me into trouble, since I’d have to change my style from lurking to active participation. Not a problem per sé, but we all know how the town reacts to changes in ones pattern: they vote and ultimately tend to bandwagon ‘he who changes his style’.

Kommodus started by voting Andres, he then shifted that vote to me. Saying he had noticed something which his programm, Holmes, had apparently failed to do. I asked for an explanation, and CountArach waited idle for Kommodus also – so he knew where his vote was to go.

Eventually the explanation came, and when I read it, I knew this wasn’t going to be as easy as the previous rounds:

It wasn't your last two or three posts. It was a review of all your posts from the beginning of the game. Dutch_guy, you've been flying under the radar for most of the game. You've even stayed close enough to your baseline statistical behavior to avoid attention from Holmes. But when I look over everything you've said, I get the impression (fairly strongly) of someone who's being evasive. We're coming to the end of the game - probably a mere two lynches left by my count - and you don't seem to have made any strong statements about anyone yet. Most of the time when you have posted something substantial it's been in defense of yourself.

I've had a feeling for a long time that at least one of our mafiosi is quite an experienced player. It's probably someone who's a story-writing type but isn't known as such. With most of our experienced players killed off, you're one of the only remaining players who fits that bill.

Part of it also had to do with the process of elimination. Most of the other players feel more townish to me when I review their statements. You, on the other hand...

These things combined make me strongly suspect you. And don't bother claiming detective - if you really were you'd have claimed already.
Citaat:
Orgineel gepost door AndresTheCunning
Although I am suspicious about Kommodus, he is very useful when playing pro-town, so I suggest we don't lynch him for now. I am just wondering about his further explanation about his change of attitude and I am eager to see how he develops further in the game.

And you. Don't imagine I'm not still suspicious of you, friend. This statement makes me even more so. Everyone knows I'm an asset to the town (as long as I'm the town's side, of course), so keeping me alive is a fine idea - early in the game. When you're down to your last two (three at most) lynches, and there are still probably two mafia alive, it's not a good idea at all.

Other people are pointing out ByzantineKnight and Stig. They may be right, but if I had to choose two mafia right now I'd go with Dutch_guy and AndresTheCunning.

Not only did he point out both mafioso in one post, he also had quite a following still left alive. Namely CountArach, Crazed, and ByzantineKnight. Plus there came the time when I actually had to vote, as such were the rules. I decided to put that vote on Crazed. He was the best choice, the other candidates still alive would not have had a change of getting bandwagoned. Ironically, voting killed me here, as Csar and Kage saw this sudden change of style as grounds to vote for me. Crazed hopped along, as did CountArach. Although the latter’s vote didn’t count, as it was posted after the voted had closed.

I tried to get the town to see that CA intended for this to happen, as Count’s ‘vote’ was posted EIGHT hours after the voting close. However, Kommodus had seen to it that I was not to be believed anymore. Even though I defended myself with vigor. Another thing which is quite the taboo in these games, defending oneself...
Also, the kill description apparently did much to underline my guilt, in future games, I think it‘d be best if these hints weren’t included in the lynch descriptions. Had people not concluded Kommodus had indeed been right, the game could have ended differently – who knows ?

ByzantineKnight was also killed, as he didn’t vote.

Round 8

7 were left now, and Andres was the only mafioso. No disrespect intended, but I had so easily walked through the last rounds that I hadn’t seen my execution coming. In fact, both Andres and I had thought he’d be the first to die, especially when Andres picked up three votes but two rounds ago. Mafia games aren’t as predictable as they may seem at times, that’s something we forgot to take into account.

Anyway, I may have been lynched but that didn’t mean I couldn’t still help my fellow mafioso. Besides, I had a story to finish.

CountArach and Csar/ Ichigo were to die this round, Ichigo because we couldn’t possibly predict where his vote was going to land, and CountArach because we wanted to lessen Kommodus’ influence. In numbers Kommodus had the majority, three votes of the 5 total. If one assumes Rabbit and Count played their game to the end.

In Retrospect this is the only major mistake we made, in my opinion. We should have taken down Crazed, even though that meant making at least half of Andres’ accusations worthless. Because as it was after the killings, Kommodus still had at least two votes in the pocket. Two votes which we should have suspected would fall on Andres.

And with Kommodus down to one vote, had we killed Crazed in stead of Ichigo, he could have jumped high and low – he’d have been powerless to defend Stig.

However, it was not to be. It soon became apparent that the final showdown would take place between Stig and Andres. Naturally Kommodus voted Andres, as did Stig – to save himself. Andres voted Stig, obviously, and was then followed by Kage, as we had hoped. However, Rabbit was still alive, and there was no reason he’d vote for b, as he’d always followed Kommodus’ votes. The town may have been in suspense when that last vote was to be made, the mafia, on the other hand, knew they were beat.

Don’t get me wrong, Crazed, you were the one who placed that oh so important final vote, and as has been said, mafia games are all but predictable. But sadly, the mafia saw that one coming.

And thus it was that Andres, after a worthy defence, died. Alas the story had come to an end, and we had lost, and the town had won.

A very good job, I might add, although I also suspect it’s never happened before that two mafioso were lynched in sequence. I guess it had to happen sometime or the other.

This concludes my write up, hope this has been worth the read. Don’t hesitate to ask anything which you may wish to know, about our strategy, or anything else for that matter.

:balloon2:

Crazed Rabbit
03-08-2007, 21:36
A very good job, I might add, although I also suspect it’s never happened before that two mafioso were lynched in sequence. I guess it had to happen sometime or the other.

Nope, it has been accomplished, back in Mafia III, when I was detective. Gertgregoor (now Moros) was lynched, then Kommodus, in the final two rounds.

And thanks for not killing me. Victory is all the sweeter when you're alive at the end.

And now who can say their vote doesn't matter? ~D

CR

Orb
03-08-2007, 22:20
Sorry for my non-participation, but I was immensely afraid of breaking the 'no post-death' reveals.
And the new EB came out

Kommodus
03-08-2007, 22:27
Nope, it has been accomplished, back in Mafia III, when I was detective. Gertgregoor (now Moros) was lynched, then Kommodus, in the final two rounds.

And thanks for not killing me. Victory is all the sweeter when you're alive at the end.

Also, in Mafia IV, discovery1 and Masy were lynched in succession (rounds 2 and 3). And who could forget Mafia V, when Reenk Roink and Seamus Fermanagh went down successively in rounds 6 and 7? And then there was Godfather 2, and, and... :book: :laugh4:

Anyway, it's true that victory is sweeter when you survive. I've really only had the privilege to experience it a couple of times. DG and Andres, I really appreciate you sparing my life. :2thumbsup:

Anyway, great write-up, DG! I think you're right that if you'd picked your kills a little differently at the end, you would've won. But Mafia is indeed an unpredictable game, and only hindsight is 20/20.

Also, the kill description apparently did much to underline my guilt, in future games, I think it‘d be best if these hints weren’t included in the lynch descriptions. Had people not concluded Kommodus had indeed been right, the game could have ended differently – who knows ?

There's definitely some validity to this. But remember, in the original Mafia game, a player's identity becomes plainly known as soon they are lynched/killed.

One question, just out of curiosity - during the game your story indicated the mafia were tracking down an item of some kind. The final writeup revealed what that item was, but was that always the plan? Or did you have something else in mind at first?

Andres
03-08-2007, 22:32
One question, just out of curiosity - during the game your story indicated the mafia were tracking down an item of some kind. The final writeup revealed what that item was, but was that always the plan? Or did you have something else in mind at first?

I had something else in mind: a device that would make all women feel attracted to mafiosi and disgusted towards non-mafiosi. This device would result in the situation that women only want to procreate with mafiosi, thus eventually leading to the extinction of all innocent townies around the world.

Dutch was a bit worried about my, eh, lack of fantasy :laugh4: and was afraid my stories would become a bit too absurd and would reveal me.

It took a while before he decided it would be 'holmes' though, so I don't know if he was thinking about another object.

Caius
03-08-2007, 22:34
I had something else in mind: a device that would make all women feel attracted to mafiosi and disgusted towards non-mafiosi. This device would result in the situation that women only want to procreate with mafiosi, thus leading to the extinction of all innocent townies around the world.
Lol.That its absurd, and hilarious at the same time.

Kommodus
03-08-2007, 23:11
After the killings were posted, suspicion fell on Pannonian. The Driving force behind the discussions. This wasn’t helped by the fact Kommodus’ first analysis (using Holmes) pointed directly to him, and Andres - as a matter of fact. Pannonian, other than Sigurd, didn’t want to base his vote on Kommodus’ brief analysis, and requested one of all the players. Instead of a select few, which Kommodus’ found to be the most suspicious at that point.

Oh yeah, I'm a bit ashamed that I pointed to Pannonian first like that. :shame:

Pannonian, bro, I apologize for that. Really, it shouldn't have happened - for some reason I got it in my head that your stats were looking way off, but when I checked them a second time (after posting my initial analysis), only one number was actually significantly off - and not a particularly relevant one either. You never belonged so high on my list.

And DG, you were of course very clever to avoid Holmes for so long. One thing is clear: Holmes has been a nice tool for me so far, but it's not meant for stand-alone use. To be useful it must be supplemented with sound logic and interpretation.

Pannonian
03-09-2007, 00:09
Oh yeah, I'm a bit ashamed that I pointed to Pannonian first like that. :shame:

Pannonian, bro, I apologize for that. Really, it shouldn't have happened - for some reason I got it in my head that your stats were looking way off, but when I checked them a second time (after posting my initial analysis), only one number was actually significantly off - and not a particularly relevant one either. You never belonged so high on my list.

As I said in M5 when you fingered me, no worries, someone has to be suspected. You stated your suspicions, I explained those suspicions, went back in the thread and found material backing up my explanation. I am interested in one thing though. Dutch Guy said he was forced to defend himself vigorously, something inevitably fatal in Mafia games, yet earlier he said people were reluctant to vote for me because I defend myself vigorously. So which is true?

Kommodus
03-09-2007, 04:15
As I said in M5 when you fingered me, no worries, someone has to be suspected. You stated your suspicions, I explained those suspicions, went back in the thread and found material backing up my explanation. I am interested in one thing though. Dutch Guy said he was forced to defend himself vigorously, something inevitably fatal in Mafia games, yet earlier he said people were reluctant to vote for me because I defend myself vigorously. So which is true?

I think it has less to do with the simple fact that a person does or does not defend themself vigorously - it has more to do with how the defense is carried out, and under what circumstances.

When Dutch_guy defended himself, he made it pretty clear that his primary interest was in survival. Particularly when he voted for Crazed Rabbit, he made it look like he simply wanted anyone but himself lynched. Then, instead of seeking the truth, he tried to defend the fact that he had a will to live. That's easily taken as mafia behavior.

You, on the other hand, made very logical arguments to defend yourself. Also, since you'd been posting a lot already, you weren't suddenly "springing into action" with your defense. You consistently seemed more like a truth-seeker and not so much a simple survivor. This made you seem more innocent to me, and when I revisited my earlier analysis, I realized you were probably telling the truth. After round five I considered you much less of a suspect, and I believe most others did too.

So basically, a vigorous defense is suspicious, but not as much if it's part of a consistent style of play. :yes:

Dutch_guy
03-09-2007, 11:58

CR

Ah, well that's some relief at least. :beam:

Anyway, great write-up, DG! I think you're right that if you'd picked your kills a little differently at the end, you would've won. But Mafia is indeed an unpredictable game, and only hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks, and you're right indeed. But then again, could we have counted on Ichigo ? Not knowing practically anything is what makes this game so much fun, and frustrating at the same time.

There's definitely some validity to this. But remember, in the original Mafia game, a player's identity becomes plainly known as soon they are lynched/killed.

Yes, that's a fair point. To be honest this only bothered me this game as I was affected by it, obviously the town didn't mind :skull: :beam:

As to your question. At the point where my story began I had absolutely no idea where I'd take it. I did start brainstorming, and the cliché subjects did come to mind. The standard 'world domination', 'money' and of course the 'revenge because this particular town had wiped out quite a few of my collegues' all had their merit, but I decided to do something different. And as the game progressed I found it fitting to make Holmes our aim.

One thing is clear: Holmes has been a nice tool for me so far, but it's not meant for stand-alone use. To be useful it must be supplemented with sound logic and interpretation.

Indeed. You managed to use it combined with a good deal of your own intuition, Holmes can only get you to a certain point and can only tell you a certain amount. Convincing the town was your own doing, and that was probably a lot harder than it seemed.

[...]Dutch Guy said he was forced to defend himself vigorously, something inevitably fatal in Mafia games, yet earlier he said people were reluctant to vote for me because I defend myself vigorously. So which is true?

Kommodus was spot on when he said this:

[....]
So basically, a vigorous defense is suspicious, but not as much if it's part of a consistent style of play. :yes:

I meant that my person would attract more attention when the time came when I had to defend myself, more than a more vocal person like yourself. A matter of style, and as Kommodus has said, of style consistancy.

Pannonian
03-12-2007, 18:34
Bumping this so GH will remember to post his writeup.

GeneralHankerchief
03-13-2007, 22:14
My commentary for Mafia VI.

Beginning

Mafia: Dutch_guy and AndresTheCunning
Detective: Orb

I was unsure of the response I would get in this game immediately after engaging in some less-than-sporting play in the previous large Mafia game, Capo di Tutti Capi. Luckily, the players were as eager as ever to participate, which I was glad of. I am particularly thankful to those people who promoted the game as a very basic, vanilla one. It may be boring, but I think the endgame of this one proved that these type of games can still be very exciting and suspenseful in their own right.

The mafia in this game were a very interesting combination. Dutch_guy had been playing from the beginning, never really getting any major role aside from a couple of Detectives in which he had little impact. This would be his first time as mafia. I remember Kommodus saying in an earlier thread that he was worried about Dutch becoming a mafioso, since it would throw his trusty program Holmes for a loop. These words would turn out to be prophetic, at least for a while. Meanwhile, AndresTheCunning was DG’s complete opposite aside from the fact that they spoke the same language. He was a well-known stirrer-of-trouble in the short time that he had played Mafia games, and was your typical “crazy Flemish person”, ala Gertgregoor/Moros.

Orb, the Detective, had been an on-and-off player, with some pretty good results as mafioso in smaller games. I wonder how he would do on the good-guy side in a larger game.

The realism system remained in place. Basically, whoever sent their PM in first performed their action first in “real time.” Ideally it was to come in play much later than it did, but I don’t think it really made a difference with the timing. What Detective reveals after two rounds when they haven’t gotten a mafioso?

Round 1

Dutch kills Omanes Alexendrapolites the Idiot
Andres kills UltraWar
Orb investigates Sasaki Kojiro

Smart move on Orb’s part by investigating Sasaki first. It probably would have helped later on if he would have survived.

Kills weren’t that surprising. UltraWar had long replaced discovery1 as the traditional “first to die” target, and Omanes was a relative unknown, although an extremely active poster. As the mafia were probably hoping, he lost interest after his early death.

It was a typical first round, all in all. There were lots of abstains, the usual vote for Sasaki from Ichigo, and votes based on fairly poor reasoning. I must give kudos to Sasaki for promptly voting for our Detective (after he had just found Sasaki innocent, no less! :laugh4:). However, now I begin to wonder if Orb had investigated someone else, his reaction to the vote might have been something different thus causing a chain reaction that would have affected the game completely. In any case, Orb had little comment and Sasaki went elsewhere.

Also, actual kudos must go to Kommodus for nailing Andres extremely early on. It was only a good defense by Andres and lack of assertiveness on Kommo’s part that left him alive for a while.

Eventually, however, HughTower attacked a post made by Sigurd Fafnesbane in his usual blunt manner, provoking feelings of suspicion from the other townies. He got lynched in a close vote, just barely beating out Sasaki and Sigurd.

One last note. I got really annoyed by the rampant lack of people keeping track of their votes this round. Just a personal thing guys, I count these votes on pencil and paper and it would be really helpful if you made things a little easier for me. Luckily, people got the message and did what I asked from then on.

Executed: HughTower

Round 2

Dutch kills Zalmoxis
Andres kills Orb
Orb investigates Sigurd Fafnesbane

Orb did not get a result back for his second investigation due to the realism system.

The game started to get a bit nasty this round, as discovery1 opened with a very nasty-looking picture of himself (I still shudder from that), and Reenk Roink started to blast Sasaki’s record. Finally, people started attacking inactives (most notably Destroyer of Hope) simply because they started becoming active. I strongly discourage this style of play, because otherwise the people who try to change will be caught up in an endless loop. I let it slide for now, but had to step in a little bit later on.

Btw Sigurd, I did not write the part about oxen being colorblind. :tongue:

Eventually Disco fell by a margin of three votes. What was disturbing, however, were the ridiculously large amount of abstains and no votes. This plagued me all game as I tried to find a way to remedy it.

Executed: discovery1

Round 3

Dutch kills sapi
Andres kills Rhythmic

Two Aussies bought it this round. I was kind of sad about Rythmic’s death, as this was his first major game since Mafia I. Ah well. This was also the last of Andres’s “Do you like meat?” kills, which was a smart thing to drop. It was also more interesting from the story point of view, as more attention was focused on the mafia’s quest for this one item. I was caught up in at as much as the rest of you, and in fact didn’t know what it was until I PM’d the mafia after Andres’s execution asking what it was so I could finish the story properly.

I would now like to address my policy on abstains, no votes, and Wraths of God.

I hate WoGing people, I really do. It’s a pain to write the scenes, and it takes away from the game. It’s why I allow abstention, as well as passive abstention (a player who posts but doesn’t vote being counted as an abstain). Several people had questioned Dutch’s townieness because I kept counting him in the abstain section, but the truth is I had been doing that for a while now, definitely since Mafia V and probably since Mafia IV.

However, when mass abstention comes up, it starts to irk me, because people can just slide by without really doing anything. Ideally, I would like all of my mafia games to have all players participating actively and voting actively in every round unless they are truly stumped. It’s eventually why I removed the option to abstain in the later rounds (and enforced it in a harsh manner), because I knew it would be better for discussion, for better or for worse.

I got really peeved in Round 3 when thirteen people didn’t bother to vote, and that didn’t include the passive abstainers. Something had to be done, so I posted a few warnings to inactive players.

Meanwhile, Caius Flaminius went down in flames, as usual, during this round, probably because he’s not a native English speaker and thus made some suspicious-sounding posts. I must admit, if he ever becomes a mafioso in a big game it’ll be tough to tell whether he’s guilty or not since his posts are always obtuse anyway (no disrespect sir, just saying what’s true). I have helped his lynching several times in the past, incorrectly, because of me not quite understanding him.

Executed: Caius Flaminius

Round 4

Dutch kills Sir Boo
Andres “kills” Sir Moody

Due to Carnaval, Andres was out (or as Dutch put it, “probably getting wasted even as we speak” :laugh4:), so I allowed Dutch to kill Sir Moody as well in order to keep things moving. Andres PM’d me a quick confirmation, and the round was on.

Destroyer of Hope suicided this round due to lack of time. I replaced him with Faust|, explaining his role and other things. He got right into the spirit of the game with an immediate vote on Reenk Roink, with no explanation. An interesting exchange followed, until it got slightly too heated and I had to step in. However, I was glad that Faust| proved to be active for the short time that he was alive.

Pannonian also came under fire for some questionable voting logic (looking for a reason to vote Reenk). However, these minor conflicts soon gave way to a majority of votes being thrown to Xiahou (persona non grata to Sasaki) and Sigurd Fafnesbane (playing the crazy townie role that had served him so well in the past). Since tons of votes were cast and changed, I relied on someone else’s tally, which was of course incorrect. D’oh! Luckily, Andres PM’d me and others posted their thoughts in the thread. When I went back and corrected the tally, there was a clear “winner” instead of a tie vote. Xiahou did go down fighting, though.

Executed: Xiahou

Round 5

Dutch kills ChuggtheSquirrel
Andres kills Faust|

Crisis! I had to reduce to number of alive townspeople by one after doing a mass Wrath of God. Mainly, pevergreen posted a screenshot even when it clearly said in the rules that none were alive. I agreed that it really didn’t do any harm, but rules were rules, and pever took his punishment very honorably. You well be welcomed back in Mafia VII, good sir. :bow:

Anyways, back to the mafia. Things were looking quite splendid for them, with the gift of inactivity. Both members had managed to stay pretty much under the radar, although Andres took some moderate flack from Kommodus and Dutch came under fire for his constant abstention. All in all, they were playing rather cautiously, but the strategy was serving them well.

Faust died this round, which was what I was afraid of. I assumed (and now know) that Andres thought that he was the Detective. Ah well. He made for an interesting round.

It was around this time where Sasaki Kojiro became absent from the thread. He told me offhand that he was extremely busy in real life when I had PM’d him about the hosting queue. This seemed to be another blow for the town, since their leading voice was gone (although to be fair, he was way off-target the entire game), and he would most likely get lynched if he didn’t get back to his normal posting style, and quickly. Nevertheless, the town pressed on, executing Sigurd Fafnesbane for his erratic posting style. Fourteen were left, including two mafiosi. Sasaki was absent, Kommodus was focused on Pannonian, and the bad guys were doing a remarkable job of avoiding suspicion. I began to wonder if I would have to write a “total mafia victory” story for the first time ever (which, incidentally, will result in the death of Beirut if it happens).

Executed: Sigurd Fafnesbane

Round 6

Dutch kills Seamus Fermanagh
Andres kills Redleg

Again, smart kills by the mafia. Seamus, a smart player, would be proven innocent but I think it really wouldn’t have mattered since almost nobody suspected him. Redleg made a huge impression in Capo, but wasn’t really that active in this game, and thus wasn’t that suspected. Even better for the mafia, Redleg named Sasaki as his killer, and Sasaki once again did not defend himself.

The story that was in most of the kills had grown very cohesive and flowing, and it was evident that there was a lot of collaboration between Dutch and Andres before they sent the kills to me (although this would hurt later on). An example of what they wrote and what I put in:

I'm killing Seamus, Andres is killing Redleg.

My kill descr is part one, Andres' is part two.

Again, edit as you see fit.

Seamus was busy staring at his computer screen, it contained a list of names. People whom
he suspected of being the cause of the killings. A lot of work he had put into it, but if
that was needed to keep himself and the rest of the town alive, and to keep it out of the
hands of the mafioso, then so be it. Also stored away on his computer, was data he knew the
mafia was prepared to kill for. As a matter of fact, it was why he had moved his trusty colt
from the basement to the cabinet in his working room.

A door knob turning caught Seamus' attention, the front door was being opened. And he wasn't
expecting company. Seamus immediately started for the cabinet on the far side of the room,
reaching it the moment the mafioso barged into the house. Panicked, Seamus pulled open
the drawer and pulled out his trusty colt, he wasn't going to make this easy.

Seamus stood up and turned around the corner, aiming his gun at the body of the mafioso, who
apparently had stopped to make sure his suit wasn't ruffled. His silenced gun was placed
on a table to his left.

It ends here, mafioso. Seamus spoke, not being able to hide a quick smile.

You'll never have it, it was foolish to ever think you would ! He added, with a steady voice.

The mafioso smiled pleasantly at a sweating Seamus, still holding his colt.

'Seamus, Seamus, Seamus. We've known each other for quite some time now, and you sure as hell
know I'm no fool.' the mafioso replied dryly.

Seamus said nothing.

Now you don't actually think that gun is loaded, now do you ? I made sure of that when I
entered the house when you were out at work, now I obviously wasn't able to take what I needed,
since your laptop is pretty well encrypted. So I had to wait until you signed in, which it
seems you have done. Thanks for making this so easy, I'm only going to have to shoot you once now.

A loud click was heard, Seamus' had tried but the mafioso wasn't lying. His colt was useless

So, it seems you have outlived your usefulness to me, Seamus.

I fear You're going to have to die now, can't have you running around telling everyone
who I am, now can I ? The mafioso spoke, bemused.

Seamus, however, quickly turned around, in a desperate attempt to shut off, or destroy, his
laptop. Two paces was all he was allowed to take, three soft thuds later Seamus was dead.

The mafioso walked over the body, to the laptop, eyeing the list of Seamus' suspects with
an absent minded expression.

Putting the laptop under his left arm, he took his cell phone out of his pocket with his right.

'Hello, it's me.'' He spoke

'All went according to plan, why don't you pay Redleg a visit, you know why'.

Kill : Redleg

Write-up:

The pale mafioso was reading his newpaper. He enjoyed the article about the lynching of a guy named Sigurd.

His phone ringed.

"Ok, I'll pay him a visit.", the pale man answered.

About half an hour later, Redleg woke up. He felt a bit dizzy and it took awhile before he realized that the doorbell was ringing. He stumbled towards the door, the last remnants of his nightmare still confusing his mind. It was always the same nightmare. Allthough he had quit the marine corps several years ago, the spirits of those poor children still haunted him.

He opened the door. A pale man with thin lips stood in front of him.

"Hello mister, I heard you had some problems with your television. I'm from the cable company. Please, let me in, I'll fix the problem for you."

Redleg protested: "I didn't call anybody. Besides, I don't have cable television. I canceled my subscription with you guys, since I'm moving soon."

The mafioso grinned.

"Come on now Redleg, don't act stupid. You know well enough who I am".

Redleg took a good look at the man: "But, I don't... What? It's YOU? How is that possible!".

"Ah, you were stupid to believe that I can't swim. In fact, I used to be a pretty good swimmer. Hahaha! A fatal mistake, huh? But let's get down to business now, shall we? You made a big mistake working together with Seamus. Oh, you marines always like messing around with stuff which is above you heads. So foolish, so unnecessary, so... deadly".

Redleg panicked: "I swear, Seamus hasn't told me anything about it yet, he said he didn't trust me enough ! I swear !" Redleg seemed very scary.

The mafioso let this sink in for a moment.

" Hmm, good point, I daresay Seamus would be so trusting..."

Redleg was getting a bit of his colour back, this was going fairly well. " So, let's just call it a day then, I'd never tell anyone about this, I won't reveal your identity. On my word", Redleg added subtlely.

That last bit caught the mafioso's attention. "You'd never reveal me, eh ? On your word ? Nice try sucker, but the last time I trusted someone on his word was when my boss promised me a raise, which he never give me. I had to kill him, you know." The mafioso said, with a slight smile.

Redleg quickly lost all his colour, again. He looked even paler than the mafioso.

" So, no. I fear we can't come to an arrangment. A pity", the mafioso said, pulling the trigger and putting a bullet in Red's head.

"Sweet dreams, Redleg", the mafioso said.

The pale man went home.

To compare, view the actual kill post: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1442259&postcount=677

The one “tell” that I left in was the use of the term “daresay.” To my knowledge, no American uses that word so that left suspicion on the Euros. Nobody caught it, though.

In this round, Andres, smelling blood, led the attack on Sasaki. He was quickly joined by CountArach and Reenk Roink, the former being convinced of Sasaki’s guilt and the latter always looking for a reason to take Sasaki down. Kommodus started a small counter-bandwagon against Andres (nice work), but once again Andres defended himself pretty well and it didn’t manage to pick up enough steam. Sasaki lost in a close one, and I sent him off in appropriate style, this being the first time he was executed in one of my games (in Mafias II, III, and V he was killed and in Mafia IV he survived). Sasaki asked me to alert him when his WoG was coming up. I guess I didn’t have to worry about that anymore.

Also, Crazed Rabbit was pretty close to a Wrath of God, but his posting level went up a bit so I spared him.

Executed: Sasaki Kojiro

Round 7

Dutch “kills” Reenk Roink
Andres kills Pannonian

Due to some miscommunication, I never received Dutch’s Reenk PM, but luckily I reached Andres in enough time to get a replacement. The chat was a godsend for that. I laughed when Reenk later blasted the mafia for their “lame kill.” Reenk, I believe that your original kill can now be seen in Dutch’s write-up.

This was also the round where I stopped counting “abstains.” In a PM conversation, Dutch reluctantly agreed to abide by these new rules as long as I made it clear in the thread that this was done by me and me alone. I agreed, and he promptly drew fire for actually voting. Oops.

This game parallels Mafia III in so many ways it’s scary. Think about it: Running storyline, an experienced mafioso and a semi-new Flemish player as the other one, and now the game’s direction. If the mafia survived one round, just one more round without one of them being executed, the game would be over. However, it was not to be. The round opened up with both Dutch and Andres getting votes.

Kommodus finally caught on to Dutch’s strategy and went on the attack. Andres tried to shift discussion to people that blindly followed Holmes and Dutch tried to defend himself from these accusations. They targeted Crazed Rabbit, however, there was one small problem – Rabbit staunchly defended his innocence. And he never lies (a reputation I would oh so love to have :evilgrin:) This was pointed out, and Dutch went down, leaving Andres in a bad position for the final round.

Also, I WoG’d ByzantineKnight for not voting in this round while leaving CountArach alive. It caused a minor controversy and I apologize to BK for doing so. However, he did contribute less to the game than CA, I wanted to enforce my policies, and numbers worked out so that there would be one final round, a sort of “make-up” to the mafia after putting Dutch in such a bad position.

Executed: Dutch_guy

Round 8

Andres kills CountArach and Ichigo

This was the most difficult story to tweak yet, with there being a complicated timeline (Ichigo was actually killed first but his death was a flashback) and the PM had minor but still obvious grammar errors. Nevertheless, I was eager that the game was winding down and waiting to find out what on earth that item was.

Luckily, Andres killed CountArach, thus bringing an end to the WoG controversy. I would have never forgiven myself if the game ended with a mafia victory because of some stupid mechanics decision I had made.

Sasaki came out pretty strongly against Stig, being, once again, wrong. Luckily, he did correctly name Kommodus and Rabbit as innocent. The general consensus was that Dutch was indeed Mafioso and that his partner was either Stig or Andres, based on voting patterns.

I did put clues about the mafioso’s identities in both of their execution scenes and both were caught. These need to be more subtle in the future as everybody knows about them now and will probably be looking for them. I did put a minor one in Orb’s death but nobody caught it until I told Kommodus that I had put one in after the game had ended.

Andres continued to press the attack towards Rabbit, although this was probably not the smartest move. Rabbit’s honesty is the one thing that remains a certainty in these games. He quickly got a majority of votes even after wisely changing his target to Stig, and Kagemusha changing his vote to Kommodus at the last second didn’t really help things.

Executed: AndresTheCunning

Wrap-up

Thus, the similarities to Mafia III were completed with this final turn of events. The mafia went from total victory to defeat in two rounds. However, unlike the previous game, I can’t really pin a turning point on Mafia VI. I suppose it was the moment when Kommodus did the reread of the entire thread and didn’t like what he saw with Dutch. After that, Dutch went down in flames and Kommodus, newly-backed with popular support, finally launched an assault on Andres and the people followed. The credit definitely goes toward him and Holmes for this townie victory.

I had a good time with the final scene and keeping you guys guessing. It was really funny hearing from Andres what that item was, and I hope I did the story justice with the ending. The idea was to make each innocent player seem suspicious until the very end. All in all, it was definitely an interesting game, especially at the end. Great game, everyone. :bow:

Caius
03-13-2007, 23:32
GH

Meanwhile, Caius Flaminius went down in flames, as usual, during this round, probably because he’s not a native English speaker and thus made some suspicious-sounding posts. I must admit, if he ever becomes a mafioso in a big game it’ll be tough to tell whether he’s guilty or not since his posts are always obtuse anyway (no disrespect sir, just saying what’s true). I have helped his lynching several times in the past, incorrectly, because of me not quite understanding him
obtuse?can you explain to me that?.Mafia games helped me a lot.I had learned so many things in the org which makes me speak a little well.

GeneralHankerchief
03-13-2007, 23:38
Probably wasn't the right word, but it means "difficult to figure out." Your English has definitely improved, but some posts remain hilariously weird.

Sasaki Kojiro
03-14-2007, 00:42
Orb investigates Sasaki Kojiro

BALLS

Kommodus
03-14-2007, 01:05
This was also the round where I stopped counting “abstains.” In a PM conversation, Dutch reluctantly agreed to abide by these new rules as long as I made it clear in the thread that this was done by me and me alone. I agreed, and he promptly drew fire for actually voting. Oops.

If it's any comfort, the fact that Dutch_guy voted that round had nothing to do with my suspicions of him. In fact, when I went after him he hadn't yet voted. Everything he said that made me suspicious of him had been posted long before.

They targeted Crazed Rabbit, however, there was one small problem – Rabbit staunchly defended his innocence. And he never lies (a reputation I would oh so love to have :evilgrin:)

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

Ah, wouldn't we all? But that sort of reputation has to be earned - and one false move squanders it forever. Honest as we may be in real life, when it comes to Mafia most of us simply play the roles we're given.

I did put clues about the mafioso’s identities in both of their execution scenes and both were caught. These need to be more subtle in the future as everybody knows about them now and will probably be looking for them. I did put a minor one in Orb’s death but nobody caught it until I told Kommodus that I had put one in after the game had ended.

I agree that a little more subtlety would be in order... though I'm not sure anyone caught the clues till I pointed them out. (Correct me if I'm wrong here guys - did anyone else notice?)

After that, Dutch went down in flames and Kommodus, newly-backed with popular support, finally launched an assault on Andres and the people followed. The credit definitely goes toward him and Holmes for this townie victory.

Ah, but don't forget my partner in anti-crime Crazed Rabbit, without whose honesty and support even Holmes would have most likely fallen short. :bow:

I had a good time with the final scene and keeping you guys guessing. It was really funny hearing from Andres what that item was, and I hope I did the story justice with the ending. The idea was to make each innocent player seem suspicious until the very end. All in all, it was definitely an interesting game, especially at the end. Great game, everyone. :bow:

Best... Ending... Evar!!! :2thumbsup:

I thought your final writeup was fantastic, dude. (I guess, for me, it helped that my program actually made it into the story!)

Anyway, great commentary! Another game of Mafia nicely sewn up. And now I can expect to have a few people gunning madly for me in Battle Royale... :sweatdrop:

See ya'll on the flip side!

Csargo
03-14-2007, 01:37
I noticed when Andres was lynched that he was pale faced. I didn't notice anything about Dutch_Guy's kill though.

Seamus Fermanagh
03-14-2007, 02:33
GH

obtuse?can you explain to me that?.Mafia games helped me a lot.I had learned so many things in the org which makes me speak a little well.

Take this post of yours as an example.

"makes me speak a little well" is ambiguous. You are using this phrase to indicate the improvement of your English skills (and they have :yes: ). However, as worded, you are also simultaneously saying that you do not use the language properly as "a little well" or "a little bit well" are often polite euphamisms for "badly" among native speakers. It is this phrasing issue to which GH refers.

Your quote above, in standard US usage would read:

Obtuse? Can you explain that to me? These mafia games have helped me a lot. I have learned so many things in the .org and my English skills have improved significantly.

Keep at it friend, we enjoy your company!

Seamus Fermanagh
03-14-2007, 02:36
BALLS

Oh pshaw! Consider it your badge of honor! Any Host, aside from you yourself, can practically queue this one up in advance as their first response to any detective. In Capo, you were targeted for investigation at least 6 different times.

Pannonian
03-14-2007, 02:44
Meanwhile, Caius Flaminius went down in flames, as usual, during this round, probably because he’s not a native English speaker and thus made some suspicious-sounding posts. I must admit, if he ever becomes a mafioso in a big game it’ll be tough to tell whether he’s guilty or not since his posts are always obtuse anyway (no disrespect sir, just saying what’s true).

However, in this game it was what he asked about, not how he asked it, that caused me to cast my vote for Caius. What killed him was the tendency of many players to bandwagon on the first half-substantive argument there is, and the tendency of yet more to skip the game if they don't get a role. It really annoyed me to see new games appearing even as their hosts were still committed to this one. Remember Sasaki started his original "Gotta Have More Mafia" because he was dead in M3, and didn't want to have to wait for M4.

Oh pshaw! Consider it your badge of honor! Any Host, aside from you yourself, can practically queue this one up in advance as their first response to any detective. In Capo, you were targeted for investigation at least 6 different times.

Was he guilty in any of them?

Caius
03-14-2007, 22:03
So I cant play mafia.Until I learn english.

Keep at it friend, we enjoy your company!

:bow:

Thank you.

Pannonian
03-15-2007, 00:05
So I cant play mafia.Until I learn english.

It helps in persuading people. For instance, my impeccable English has helped me get murdered in every Mafia game so far, ecept for Capo, where I committed suicide. So if you improve your English, you too can get shot between the eyes by the mafia instead of hanged from a rope by the villagers.

Seriously though, I hadn't noticed any serious faults in your English until someone pointed it out. I've seen native Brits who are far worse than you are.

Caius
03-15-2007, 00:13
Sir Moody mafia

I wrote bad some words and i get killed.Thank you GH.

Stig
03-15-2007, 00:13
kk u c m8

yeah some people really should use proper grammar, hell I can't even read that leet-speak of theirs

Seamus Fermanagh
03-17-2007, 03:22
Was he guilty in any of them?

No, not in Capo, his role left him "safe" from that.

In general, though, Sasaki has been so avidly vocal and successful that he can pretty well guarantee being scanned early in any game -- for good or for ill.

Sigurd
03-28-2007, 11:04
Btw Sigurd, I did not write the part about oxen being colorblind. :tongue:
hehe... I guess it was one of the Mafiosi then.
Seeing that Dutch_guy got involved in the discussion I am guessing... hum?
He never put a vote on me though... Andres did with his reasoning:

That would have been a better reason to vote pevergreen than the strange explanation Sigurd gave for his vote for pevergreen. Instead of defending himself against HughTower and giving a good explanation for his vote on pevergreen, he just switched to HughTower giving a no reason once again for his vote. Suspicious.

Now tell me, who did write the story about the bull and its dislike for the colour red?
Reading the exchange again I should have noticed Dutch and Andres responses. To be wiser after the event is called ... learning? :wall:

The strategy of taunting the Mafia does work in live games as you are able to watch the bodylanguage of the players. Here I guess it would work against players that gets worked up (Redleg, DonC and Reenk as IMO could be examples of such players) by faulty accusations.

They targeted Crazed Rabbit, however, there was one small problem – Rabbit staunchly defended his innocence. And he never lies (a reputation I would oh so love to have :evilgrin:) This was pointed out, and Dutch went down, leaving Andres in a bad position for the final round.

Yes this is a major strenght that CR have... I pray that he get to play a Mafioso soon. Will he forgo his honesty like so many of us before him? It is the mark of Satan I tell you. :yes:

All in all a fun game to reread. I am sorry I signed up for a game that I had no time playing... Luckily I got lynched. :sweatdrop:

Dutch_guy
03-28-2007, 13:28
hehe... I guess it was one of the Mafiosi then.
Seeing that Dutch_guy got involved in the discussion I am guessing... hum?

No, it was Andres.

Andres
03-28-2007, 15:39
No, it was Andres.

Yup, it was me. I had serious lack of inspiration for my first write-up and thus I came up with that kill. I did know about the colourblindness, but I made abstraction from it, since it fitted the story better. It turned out to be quite amusing, seeing HughTower and later on Sigurd getting lynched as a result :laugh4:

Afterwards, I wanted to continue this story line, taking the "Do you like meat?" question and the eating of the animal that caused the previous killing as constant parts of the write-ups. I was thinking about a story about vegetarian mafiosi who wanted to kill everybody who ate meat, with the last townies anxiously eating vegetarian courses to avoid killing by the mafia.

But Dutch wanted me to stop the absurd write-ups, because he was afraid they would reveal me ~:confused:

I agreed to stop those write-ups, but couldn't resist to insert the secret female agents trying to choke me with their breasts-part in his next story...

He actually liked it, you know.

~;)

Dutch_guy
03-28-2007, 16:03
But Dutch wanted me to stop the absurd write-ups, because he was afraid they would reveal me ~:confused:

~D

I agreed to stop those write-ups, but couldn't resist to insert the secret female agents trying to choke me with their breasts-part in his next story...

He actually liked it, you know.

:book:

No comment ?

Crazed Rabbit
03-28-2007, 23:36
Yes this is a major strenght that CR have... I pray that he get to play a Mafioso soon. Will he forgo his honesty like so many of us before him? It is the mark of Satan I tell you.

Bwahaha! Tremble before me, for I hold the power of Truth!

Seriously, I've had the chance a couple times to help myself (as serial killer) or the mafia (when I was a mafioso) by lying, yet I did not.
What will happen if I become mafia in a game like this? Can't say for sure - but I don't think I'll ruin my reputation forever for one game. After all, it's loads of fun foiling the mafia at the last moment.

I wonder if this had to do with me getting killed the first round in that new mafia game (I'm looking for someone to kill, or something).

CR