PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Ireland Mini-Mod

Rhyfelwyr
02-12-2007, 00:40
As a Scot who loves playing as, well, the Scots, I've always thought the British Isles need some spicing up, its too easy to roll over those wimpy English hiding behind their sharpened stakes! I've also noticed a lot of interest in a mod to add Ireland as a faction to the game, and so I thought I would have a go at it. This mod is no MA or MTR, it is a basic mini-mod, which will follow historical accuracy and gameplay along the same route as CA took for the rest of the factions. For this mod I aim to make the following changes:

Add Ireland as a faction in place of the Saxons
Provide a realistic family tree for the start game
Unique names for Generals, Princesses etc.
A unit list for the Irish containing a few unique units
Split Ireland into three provinces
Provide appropriate banners, icons, etc for the Irish

Faction Info:

The faction icon for Ireland will be a golden harp set on a green background. I have yet to research the family tree for 1080, I guess it will be pretty crazy with all the powerful families that lived there. Help with a list of names for Generals etc would be appreciated. I plan to split Ireland into the provinces of Armagh Region (in the north), Casiel Region (in the south), and Dublin region (a small region in the east). As the Irish faction, you will begin in control of only Armagh and Casiel. As for the unit list, I was thinking along the lines of:

Gaelic Rabble (reskinned Highland Rabble)
Gaelic Warband (reskinned Highlanders)
Gaelic Nobles (reskinned Galloglaich)
Gael Gaedhil (reskinned Viking Raiders)
Sergeant Spearmen
Armoured Sergeants
Dismounted Norman Knights

Kerns
Peasant Archers
Gaelic Noble Archers (reskinned Highland Noble Archers)
Bonnachts

Hobilars
Mailed Knights
Norman Knights

My modding skills include text editing and skinning and making faction icons etc through Photoshop. Still, any help would be appreciated.

Zanderpants
02-15-2007, 09:16
You should try to get in touch with Ranika for the historical info, he's the go-to guy for this culture. I believe he's stretched pretty thin, but good luck, sounds like a great mini-mod!

commando
02-15-2007, 13:38
thank you

Bobolini
02-15-2007, 20:48
Some Kings to start with:
Muirchertach O'Brien
Turlough O'Connor
Rory O'Connor
Tiernan O'Rourke
Muirchertach MacLoclainn
Dermot MacMurrough

Bobolini
02-15-2007, 21:24
These are Welsh who were expelled to Ireland and later returned to Wales to claim victories
Rhys ap Tewdwr
(son) Gruffydd Tewdwr
Cadwgan ap Bleddyn
(son) Owain Bleddyn

Lord Condormanius
02-16-2007, 00:07
http://a452.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/l_ea6834fff7dd8dbfc3682b45a711e1e3.jpg
This is what I have come up with so far. I have an extensive names list and what not. I added, what I think to be, appropraite units and took away the others(huscarls, theigns, etc.)

what I can't seem to do

-change the faction's 'accent'
-change the banners
-change the color of the army, agent units on campaign map
-there are probably a few other things that I am missing

any help would be great...

And feel free to ask for any of my stuff that you might need...

-LC

Casuir
02-16-2007, 01:27
Limerick should be much further west than it is there, on the coast at the mouth of the shannon. Also Waterford was a more important town then Wexford at this time and after, Irish for both is Port Lairge and Loch Garman respectively, Armagh is Ard Macha.

Lord Condormanius
02-16-2007, 03:46
Sorry, but Limerick is not on the coast. It is about 50 miles or more up the Shannon from the west coast. I think we all know by now that these maps are not to scale. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that you noticed that there is no river on the map for it to be placed at the mouth of. The Wexford/Waterford thing is a typo. I considered Ard Macha for Armagh, but I am not sure when the switch took place. I'll look into it.

As much of a pleasure as your post was to read, it did not address any of the issues I was seeking help with.

Casuir
02-16-2007, 05:05
Limerick is situated at the point where the shannon meets the sea, the long inlet to its west is saltwater. The inlets missing from the map though and I mistook the border marking for a river. Even with the inaccurate map its situated more to the west. Armagh is the anglicised version of ard macha, so logically it would have been renamed sometime after the norman invasion, ard macha is still used as the irish name for armagh. If you want to be accurate about naming waterford and wexford were originally called Vedrarfjord and Waes Fjord though I'm not sure when these fell out of use, both would have still had substantial norse populations at the time of the game start.

As for your actual problems the stratmap agent and banner textures are in the data/models_strat/textures folder, they're just straightforward dds files. The battlemap banners are in the data/banners folder, you'll need the texture converter to edit these. As for the accents, I'm not sure the sounds can be edited but if they can theres a number of Irish here who might be willing to lend their vocal talents towards it.

Lord Condormanius
02-16-2007, 05:19
Thank you very much. I actually have moved Limerick west a few squares. I realize the situation with the Shannon on the west, but to put Limerick on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean would be far from accurate as far as by the limitations of this map. I also moved the Wexford province west by 3 and renamed Port Lairge.

...I realize the map needs a little bit of tweaking...

It is based on Spurius' BigMap (I can't remember which version) but I have added many provinces (total 199). I just unpacked all of my files the other day and am getting back into this after a long absence due to hardware trouble. I am basically trying to learn this stuff as I go along. I am less concerned about the map at this point though, as I already know how to fix that stuff.

As far as the accents are concerned, there are sound text files (how's that for an oxymoron?) that can be downloaded. These files, I suppose, tell the game which sound files to acces for which faction. I have the files, but I can't seem to make them work.

I'll try the banners, etc. Thanks for the help.

Casuir
02-16-2007, 05:57
iirc pathing for the sounds with mod folders is broken, you'd have to place them in the stock data folder along with any textures you've modified and start your game with this in the batch file "medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg --io.file_first"

Lord Condormanius
02-16-2007, 06:08
That's how I've been going. There are several things that the mod switch doesn't allow. What I did was make a seperate .cgf, .bat and mod folder for my vanilla files. This way I can mod the hell out of the regular install and still have a mod folder with the original files.

Antagonist
02-17-2007, 01:03
Cool. Maybe not the most historical thing ever, but Ireland was certainly closer to a feudal kingdom then to the anarchic nowhere it gets to be in vanilla.

Some quick ideas/suggestions:

Gael Gaedhil - While there are numerous variations of the spelling on this, it definately should be Gall Gaedhil or something, "Gall" is means "foriegner", Gael and Gaedhil are just variant spellings of the same word I believe.

I'd drop at least the Noble Archers if I were you, they're particularly ahistorical.
And if you're reskinning the highlanders, for god's sake get rid of the warpaint, beards, kilts and bare chests, not good.

Also, have you thought about a few later units? I don't know that much about what went on there but I believe firearms were in use there by the end of M2TW's period, for example. Demi-Lancers were used there in the C16 as well, I believe.

From my reading about who was "in charge"; Since Brian Boruime at the turn of the C11 the position of High King had been strengthened so that it was felt to be a position of real authority over the entire island, and efforts were being made towards centralisation and unity, but I don't know to what extend they really succeeded. Here's wiki's list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_High_Kings_of_Ireland) of rulers.

Also about historians, Ranika has been away from the community for quite a while but his cousin Anthony is around, I'd ask him.

Good luck,

Antagonist

Rhyfelwyr
02-17-2007, 01:06
Thanks for that info Antagonist, I'll update the unit list and get to work once I get my PC fixed, should be a few days.:wall:

Lord Condormanius
02-19-2007, 06:58
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/395000816_22adcdc9e5.jpg

Here is what I think my final Ireland will look like. I still need help with modding graphics files. If anyone has any help to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, here is the list of names that I am using in the game:

first names

Ailbhis
Amargein
Aodh
Aodhan
Aonghus
Bearach
Blathmacc
Bradaigh
Brandubh
Breandan
Brian
Bricriu
Caeoimhin
Calbhach
Caoilte
Ceallachan
Cearbhall
Chullain
Cianan
Conlaoch
Criofan
Daigh
Dáire
Declan
Desmumhnach
Diarmait
Domnall
Eochaid
Eremon
Faolán
Fearghus
Fionnbharr
Gaeth
Laegaire
Liam
Lochlainn
Maelachlainn
Mathghamhain
Muircheartach
Niall
Oisin
Padraig
Rónán
Ruairi
Séafra
Séamas
Seán
Sleibhin
Suibhne
Taicligh
Tigernan
Toirdhealbhach

surnames

ó Connalláin
ó Murchadha
ó Ceallaigh
ó Súilleabháin
ó Briain
ó Broin
ó Maoilriain
ó Conchobhair
ó Néill
ó Raghallaigh
ó Dubhghaill
ó Gallchobhair
ó Dochartaigh
ó Cinnéide
ó Loinsigh
ó Muireadhaigh
ó Cuinn
ó Mordha
ó Cearbhaill
ó Conghaile
ó Dálaigh
ó Conaill
ó Duinn
ó Braonáin
ó Coileáin
ó Cléirigh
ó hAodha
ó Fearghail
ó Nualláin
ó Floinn
ó Ceallacháin
ó Domhnaill
ó Dufaigh
ó Mathúna
ó Baoill
ó hÉalaighthe
ó Séaghdha
Caomhánach
ó Móráin
ó Cathasaigh
ó Foghladh
ó Ruairc

bynames

de Paor
Mac Gabhann
Mac Carthaigh
Mac Lochlainn
Mac Liam
de Búrca
Mac Seáin
Mac Gearailt
Mac an Bhreithiún
Mac Giolla Mháirtín
Mag Uidhir
Mac Tomáis
Mac Giolla Bháin
Mac Suibhne
Mac Craith
Mac Brádaigh
Stiobhard
Mac Giolla Phádraig
Mac Domhnaill
Breathnach
Mac Mathúna
de Barra
Mac an Bhaird
Mac Catháin
Mac Cionaoith
Mac Giolla Mhaoil
Mag Aoidh
Mac Conmara
Mac Diarmada

female

Aine
Alma
Aoibheann
Aoife
Bairrfhionn
Banba
Bean Mhi
Blaithin
Bryg
Caer
Caillech
Caireann
Catariona
Cochrann
Dairine
Dechtire
Delbchaem
Doireann
Donnfhlaidh
Druantia
Eabha
Eibhilín
Fionnabhair
Fionnghuala
Gobnait
Gormlaith
Ite
Jilleen
Kennocha
Labhaoise
Máiréad
Maedhbh
Morrighan
Narbflaith
Niamh
Rioghnach
Sadhbh
Siobhan
Sithmaith
Sláine
Teamhair
Tlachtga
Oonagh

Casuir
02-19-2007, 09:18
I think Uí would have been used instead of ó at the time of the mod. Be nice if you'd stick Uí Ceallaigh in the list of surnames. Btw if you're looking for historically accurate names http://www.ucc.ie/celt/publishd.html might help

Lord Condormanius
02-19-2007, 18:35
I think Uí would have been used instead of ó at the time of the mod. Be nice if you'd stick Uí Ceallaigh in the list of surnames. Btw if you're looking for historically accurate names http://www.ucc.ie/celt/publishd.html might help

Yes. You are correct about the Uí/ó. Look again Uí (ó) Ceallaigh is already there.

AliAS
02-19-2007, 20:51
Good luck boys :2thumbsup:
and i want ask . What is that map ? BigMap or what thx for answer.

Lord Condormanius
02-19-2007, 20:56
It started out as a version of BigMap from early December '06. I have since added, subtracted and adjusted some of the aspects of the map (locations, names, etc.) I also added @40 provinces, totaling 199. If you would like my data folder, I would be more than happy to forward it...if I can figure out how.

der Kaiser
02-20-2007, 10:26
So, how is this going? It looks really great so far. Keep up the good work!

You know, maybe you could make other rebel factions into real factions, make the game a lot more realistic, I would think. You know, like the Swiss and whatever.

der Kaiser
02-20-2007, 10:42
Oh yeah, I just remembered something. Wales, that'd be very cool to have as a playable faction. If you think that making more of the rebel provinces is a good idea, I can help out with names and history and whatnot.

Abokasee
02-20-2007, 19:43
You should try to get in touch with Ranika for the historical info, he's the go-to guy for this culture. I believe he's stretched pretty thin, but good luck, sounds like a great mini-mod!

Should of told him to lay off the guiness instead of the taquial...

Wales, as a faction, well its possible, but its going to be extremely fiddly have 3 small factions on one island, let alone enougher 2 only a short boat ride away

der Kaiser
02-21-2007, 01:24
Well, fiddly it may be, it would certainly be cool. Historically speaking, during the Norman Invasion, Wales was divided into 5 regions, you would have to lower that down and maybe fiddle with the map a bit. The regions were: Gwynedd, Powys, Deheubarth, Gwent and Morgannwg. It was ruled mainly by Bleddyn ap Cynfyn, who was King of Gwynedd and Powys during 1066.

The armies were a lot of Skirmishers, that fought mainly in Raids and ambushes, when they abandoned that, they lost most of their battles.

Lord Condormanius
02-23-2007, 19:21
I was fooling around a little bit and came up with some (very raw) stuff. Units screenshots posted here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1439607#poststop The unit names are just temporary placeholders for now and can be changed at any time.