PDA

View Full Version : can't attack the Bruti, help please

boschmj
02-13-2007, 10:21
:help:

i had a great campaign with the julii and now i have about 46 settlements including Rome.

But now i can't fight the Brutii because the message appears: can't attack ally because you don't have enough popularity with the masses.
Now they are attacking my settlements and i can't attack them, anyone know why?

Couple of turns ago SPQR declared all roman factions to be traitors and immediately i conquered Rome because i had 3 waiting armies next to it.
After that i kicked the Scipi out of italy.

TEP
02-13-2007, 10:52
I remember this error has been reported before. You are obviously at war, as they are attacking you, but the program has somehow forgotten when it is your turn.
Unless someone can come up with an workaround, I think the only thing to do is go back to a save before it happened.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-13-2007, 10:57
Hi,
I'm sorry, but you've got trapped up in the nasty R:TW civil war bug. Your game is, unfortunately, lost and cannot be repaired. I suggest that you patch up to 1.5 and try and start again from an old save game, although even then the bug may still rear it's ugly head as patches rarely fix bug in existing save games. Good luck! Cheers!

Barbarossa82
02-13-2007, 11:26
I could be wrong, but I think this bug is actually caused by the 1.5 patch, rather than corrected by it. For reasons best known to themselves, CA fiddled with roman diplomacy with patch 1.3, leading to the civil war kicking off too early. Then they over-corrected in 1.5 and caused this. Why they couldn't just leave it alone, I don't know. This, the siege tower bug and the messages bug were all introduced by patch 1.5.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-13-2007, 12:24
Weird, I never had the civil war bug in 1.5. Perhaps it was because I was the one that got my retaliation in first? However, the one time the Senate did outlaw me, I was the Scipii, I didn't get the bug. It must only appear should there be specific circumstances?

Barbarossa82
02-13-2007, 13:03
Hmm, that's odd. I must admit I don't speak from personal experience, having never suffered from the bug in any version. Supposedly it happens in 1.5 on any occasion where you get outlawed, but at the time you are outlawed you don't have enough popular support to start the civil war yourself. In other words, less than eight "popularity with the people" points means you can't fight your fellow Romans, regardless of outlawry, civil war etc.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-13-2007, 13:22
Ah, that explains it Barbarossa. I had the opportunity to start the civil war in that campaign, yet I decided not too until I built up some defences against the powerful Julii on the northern front.

professorspatula
02-13-2007, 18:34
Doesn't this bug also occur if you sign a cease-fire with one of the Roman factions, then you can never attack them again? It's a shame that CA put so much effort into making the game focused on the Roman campaign, then left in a game-breaker. Still, they managed to botch up a few things with M2TW as well so they're consistent at least. Although they still have time to fix that game, unlike RTW which has long since been abandoned.

Severous
02-13-2007, 19:56
Any chance of grabbing elsewhere the four regions you need for 50 and victory ? Hold off the Brutii while you do that.

Send spies into Brutii cities...10 eyes of spy will reduce public order in them by 50%. Might be enough to cause them to riot/rebel. Then you can attack the new owners.

boschmj
02-15-2007, 09:59
i already have v1.5 installed. Basically i'm screwed, because i'm suffering from a full-on attack from the brutii and the settlements i need can only be the brutii ones.

i'm gonna try the trick with the spy's let's see what happens.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-15-2007, 11:32
Good luck boschmj!

Celt Centurion
02-20-2007, 18:52
I reported the same problem some months ago, and basically, the same responses came in.

The difference was, there was a ceasefire between me as the Julii, and the Brutii, while the Civil war was in progress. Then, Brutii besieged my towns, about 4-6 of them, and I could not sally out against them. The only opportunity I had to do anything at all was when they actually attacked the walls with their rams. Then, I was able to fight back, and I kicked their butts!

One trick I don't think I used at the time was this, and it's a dirty way to finish your campaign, but with just 4 left, and the bug holding you otherwise, I wouldn't blame you if you did.

Train up some diplomats, and bribe besieging armies and they become your own, bribe Brutii settlements, and they become yours. Perhaps bribing even one Brutii army will count enough as an "act of war" to make it possible to attack them. Then your problem is solved, but don't accept another ceasefire with them.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

César Victor
02-20-2007, 18:55
Or maybe you could attack another faction? I remember the Brutii were kicking my ass in Greece so I shipped the bulk of my forces out to Egypt and captured a couple of towns there. So while the Brutii where seiging my Greek towns, I could finish the game without having to face them. With only 46 provinces under your control, there should be one area of the map with enemy land for the taking.

Good luck!