PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice - New to RTW

Sgian Dubh
02-14-2007, 16:14
Hi all,

I had originally purchased RTW when it first came out, and then returned it because I felt it wasn't "as much fun as Shogun".

Anyway, I just purchased Total War Eras (mainly because I wanted to try "Forth Erolingas" and now have a vanilla installation with FE installed.

My question is this, I know none of the big mods will probably work with FE.

I am thinking about installing a second copy to try some of the RTW/BI mods.

It is worth the extra effort?

Also, will any of the smaller mods (barbarian units, formations (I need help in finding this last one that I have seen mentioned), etc) work with FE installed?

I am probably going to go ahead with the 2nd installation, mainly b/c I want to try the unofficial bug patch that player1 put together.

But there are so many others, and they all look good in their own way.

I am just overwhelmed with choice and hoping someone will give me some recommendations.:help:

Thanks!

LuckyDog Trojan
02-14-2007, 18:13
I'd go ahead and install the RTW/BI just so you could have access to an excellent mod that's out there: EUROPA BARBARUM.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-14-2007, 19:49
Hi Sgian Dubh,

My question is this, I know none of the big mods will probably work with FE.

I am thinking about installing a second copy to try some of the RTW/BI mods.

It is worth the extra effort?
Good news Sgian! You don't have to copy and paste all those huge files. There is an application which enable you to install several mods on one copy of R:TW. You can find this great and useful tool here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50164&).

Also, will any of the smaller mods (barbarian units, formations (I need help in finding this last one that I have seen mentioned), etc) work with FE installed?
They may do, but I would not recommend you try it. It could mess up your installation of FE and R:TW completely. Luckily, however, several mini-mods together on a vanilla copy of R:TW, with no mods, will usually work, however, sometimes they edit the same files so their could be nasty and buggy conflicts which can cause CTDs and gameplay glitches.

I am probably going to go ahead with the 2nd installation, mainly b/c I want to try the unofficial bug patch that player1 put together.Enjoy the patch, it fixes many of those annoying and ugly bugs. However, if you are to use the mod switcher, may I suggest that you treat this like a modification rather than a patch and use the mod switcher on it.

I am just overwhelmed with choice and hoping someone will give me some recommendations
Europa Barbarorum is the most popular total conversion at current with over 31,000 downloads! You can find their forum here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70) and their website here (https://www.europabarbarorum.com/). Another very popular modification that I suggest you give a go, is Rome: Total Realism. You can find the home of this highly acclaimed modification here (http://www.totalrealism.net/). Sadly it only works for R:TW 1.2 - the version in eras in 1.5 and cannot be patched down. However all hope is not lost. R:TR has been ported, unofficially, to 1.5 by a talented team of modders. You can find their work here (http://forums.totalrealism.net/forumdisplay.php?f=65).

I wish you the most enjoyment possible out of R:TW and the mods you choose to play, cheers!

Sgian Dubh
02-14-2007, 22:03
Wow.

Thanks for all of the help!

I will be downloading and trying all kinds of things now:beam:

The website for Europa Barbarorum also states that it is version 1.2 compatible. Will it run with R:TW 1.5? (Never mind I found the thread saying it had been ported to 1.5)

Thanks

Sgian Dubh
02-14-2007, 22:51
If I have already installed and used FE, can I still use it with the mod-changer, or do I need to start over?

Thanks!

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-15-2007, 11:46
Hi again,
I am sorry to say that I think you will have to start all over again.

Third spearman from the left
02-15-2007, 13:59
Just a quick Q on the player 1 bug fixer and the EB mod. It would seem ilke trying to have both of these on the same version of RTW will not work, but would the EB team have fixed many of the bugs that 'player one' has in some way or other?

Barbarossa82
02-15-2007, 15:22
EB completely replaces and rebuilds from the ground up virtually all the files that BugFixer would modify. Almost everything that was softcoded in vanilla RTW is gone from EB, so BugFixer just isn't relevant - it's an unofficial patch for the vanilla game.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-15-2007, 15:27
Hi,
I am very glad to say to you that EB has ironed out all vanilla bugs which are not hardcoded. However, unfortunately, EB does have a few nasty little bugs of it's own. Luckily the next patch is coming out very soon and most of these bug will be removed by it. Unfortunately the next patch will remove compatibility with previous saved games, so I suggest that you wait till the 0.81 patch is released till you download it.

econ21
02-15-2007, 15:39
I may just be clueless, but I've had very bad experiences with mod switcher. I find it easier just to keep an unmodded version of the game and then copy that whenever I want to install a mod. The downside is that copying takes a while and a lot of harddisk space; the upside is that it is incredibly easy to do (just cut and paste your RTW folder in Windows Explorer, rename it, then you're done - install the mod on the copy).

RTR Platinum and EB 0.81 are definitely worth trying out.

For BI, I would recommend Goth's all faction mod and IBFD.

Sgian Dubh
02-15-2007, 16:56
So I am confused.

I have RTM 1.5 and BI 1.6 installed vanilla.

I then installed FE

I then installed EB .8.

I seem to be able to run EB or FE just fine (as far as getting into the campaign and custom battles go).

I haven't tried to run standard RTW or BI since putting EB on.

What am I not understanding here.

Are FE and EB self-contained within their own directories at this point? If so, what do I need the mod-changer for?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-15-2007, 18:28
Hi again,
I'm not really speaking from experience - I don't have FE, it may use the mod switcher extension, although I cannot be sure. In that case you wouldn't need to use the switcher. I know EB uses the extension so EB doesn't need the switcher, although R:TR PE will need the switcher should you wish to play it with other mods. Good luck! Cheers!