PDA

View Full Version : The Julii dont like children ???

Dexter
03-14-2007, 08:12
Hy

I this question was asked sorry for asking it again ...

I played 5 campaigns whit the Julii and every time when i get to the 4-5 generation the original Julii died out. Many of them only have 1 child usually a girl. Now i tried to make some caracters city dwellers - they become most of the time corrupt idiots or poor farmers, yet the land upgrade is always my first to prevent this - ore great generals. The result is the same: usually at age 35-45 they get one child and thats it.
My last campagne is again whit the Julii but now i tried the Blitzkrieg tactic .. and voila all the sons of Flavius Julius have 4 children - 3 girls 1 boy or 2/2 - exept 1 who is tagged as morbid (? - but why ). And i have now 240 BC already more than 30 family members.

1. what is the reason for this child lack of children ???
2. why do city gowernors become losers ? - i build the military structures later
3. is there a file which can be moded, edited ?

Thanx

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-14-2007, 08:38
Hi Dexter,

1. what is the reason for this child lack of children ???I'm sorry, yet I don't know exactly the cause, yet perhaps they have fertility reducing traits - that could possibly be causing their infertility and seeming in-ability to have children. Also it could be based upon how many provinces you have - if you don't have many provinces then your generals will not be too desperate to conceive male children - R:TW likes to give you only one male general per-province, which can be quite irritating. However don't fear, fast expansion can cure hopefully cure it!

2. why do city gowernors become losers ? - i build the military structures later Sadly, city governors become losers for just being in a city twiddling their thumbs. They get bored, and, especially if you have a nice sized 50,000+ treasury, they go off gambling your monetary funds, purchasing refined artwork and dipping their fingers in your hard earned treasury! The best way is to send generals that are starting to become corrupt off on campaign in an army where they simply cannot thieve your cash. Another option is to send generals off to cities with academies - they can pick up great and useful traits from their schooling which can turn them into great and amazing generals, yet there, unfortunately, still is a nasty corruption risk.

3. is there a file which can be moded, edited ?I'm sorry, yet I don't know anything about modding, yet perhaps you could ask the modders in the modding forums - I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out!

Also perhaps this great thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45969) could help you out!

Good luck with getting your family up to scratch! Cheers!

Dexter
03-14-2007, 09:02
thanx Omanes !!!

The problem seems now obvious .. i turtled a lot whit 6-10 provinces .. and let almost all my generals in the city ... now they will learn to walk ...
Shrine of ceres is maybe my savior .. i did not like this one as it seemed only to give agricultural benefits besides the priest ... and bachus .. well my generals decided that drinking was easier than running an empire :thumbsdown:
thanx again :beam:

Stuperman
03-14-2007, 09:03
Once generals marry, they need to settly down for a honey moon with the new wife. i.e. kids are much rarer for generals on campaign that arn't in a city often or for a couple of years at a time.

they will also get bad habits based off the buildings in the settlement, you might want to take them out a city every couple of years and have them build watch towers or something.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-14-2007, 10:04
Hi again Dexter,
I can now see part of your problem with your corruption! You need to build temples to Jupiter - they provide you with a great preist (law), give you double the public order and also provide you with an amazing weapon against corruption! One of the best options for your generals is to send your generals to each province with each sort of temple for a turn or two so you get each preist as a great and useful ancillary helping you in your quest for more family members, improved public order and other such great benefits! Good luck, cheers!

Dexter
03-14-2007, 10:59
hy Omanes
initially i did exactly that, but the family did die out ...
then i only built temples to jupiter ... that did not work either ..
than i did built to jupiter and ceres .. but not bachus ...
and i did drag and drop the priests from old father (60) to son
it has benefits to have all 3 priests but still 75% of the boyos were .. how to say .. IQ = - 100 ... the rest were acceptable ... it seems to me that i had to much money always ower 50000 .. many of them did gamble .. disliked races or/and games .. were dull, did not like to get up "what`s the reason anyway?"
But maybe all temples and the Blitz tactic is the answer .. and occasionally staying in town for 2-4 years then get on moving ...
I`m not sure but it seems getting him out of town and back in the same turn is helping to get children (?)

mightilyoats
03-14-2007, 14:17
Well, here is what I normally do, with very good results:
- I always only keep one family member in a town, no more.

- Never end your turn with more than 50 000 denarii in your bank. Build large fleets if you don't know what to do with the money.

- Always keep your towns with governers at the highest possible tax rate.

- Never end a turn with with governed towns not building something (if they can of course)

- If you have a town, sitting at very high tax, and the happyness face is blue, build like mad (troops and buildings). This should create a good governor out of your family member.

Normaly I would only have two or three generals on campaign, one being the faction heir, the others being possible future heirs. As soon as your leader dies, leave the heir in the last town hy conquered. He should still have enough time to have kids.

The settlements list scroll will also aid you greatly in the administration of your empire. You can sort the list according to happiness, population, governer etc.

Good luck!

Critical Bill
03-14-2007, 14:36
You have your faction leader out and about?

I'd always thought it was better to have him sitting in your capital (no scientific reason behind this!)

Are there disadvantages to having him leading the armies?

professorspatula
03-14-2007, 15:38
Are there disadvantages to having him leading the armies?

There's no advantages really, other than the satisfaction of seeing your mighty leader at the forefront of the battles. Often the faction leaders start off as the best commanders so keeping their command rating high by winning battles can help secure a strong lineage, although really many more factors influence their offspring's traits. The disadvantage is of course there's more chance the poor blighter gets a blade lodged in his head and he takes an earlier than necessary trip on the Ferryman's boat.

Once generals marry, they need to settly down for a honey moon with the new wife. i.e. kids are much rarer for generals on campaign that arn't in a city often or for a couple of years at a time.

they will also get bad habits based off the buildings in the settlement, you might want to take them out a city every couple of years and have them build watch towers or something.

I'm not convinced that is the case. I've never noticed governors stuck in settlements gain children more than those out on the field. Births seem quite random. Obviously fertility traits help influence which of your family members are going to get a child next, other than merely boost the chances of having a child full stop.

As to bad habits in settlements, they also gain good traits much better by being in a settlement. You just have to make sure you keep them out of settlements that have buildings that encourage a lavish lifestyle or one of wantonness. Taverns and temples devoted to wine or love or fertility etc usually cause your governors to turn into drunken womanizers. Whereas ones that have temples to gods of war, academies etc often help create a strong leader. Actually in standard RTW, academies actually gave no benefits other than additional retinue characters. The Bugfixer and I think BI changed this, although the later patches might also have done the same. In any case, I'm happy to allow my generals to sit at home as I never have an abundance of cash anyway which gives them more bad traits.

mightilyoats
03-15-2007, 09:35
Ok, sorry, let me rephrase that. I always leave my faction leader in a settlement. I don't really have a preference like it must be the capital... Just any settlement (the closest one...) In the mean time I let my faction heir smash into as many enemies as I can find. When my leader dies, obviously my heir is out and about. He becomes the new leader, so I send him to the closest town to retire and have kids... Rinse. Repeat.

Critical Bill
03-15-2007, 14:41
I see, thanks.

So there's no particular reason to have your faction leader live in the capital?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-15-2007, 18:08
So there's no particular reason to have your faction leader live in the capital?Not really Critical Bill - it's often best to have him as far away from the capital as possible in fact - the faction leader often provides a good happiness bonus to wherever he is governing so placing him a long way from the capital can help maintain your mighty empire's stability by counter-acting the horrible distance from capital penalty!

mightilyoats
03-19-2007, 07:19
Hey, I never thought of that Omanes... Good one. I usually leave him in the last settlement he captured. So it comes down to the same anyway.

Dexter
03-19-2007, 08:26
Thanx for the hints !!! :beam:

Stuperman
03-19-2007, 22:26
As to bad habits in settlements, they also gain good traits much better by being in a settlement. You just have to make sure you keep them out of settlements that have buildings that encourage a lavish lifestyle or one of wantonness. Taverns and temples devoted to wine or love or fertility etc usually cause your governors to turn into drunken womanizers. Whereas ones that have temples to gods of war, academies etc often help create a strong leader. Actually in standard RTW, academies actually gave no benefits other than additional retinue characters. The Bugfixer and I think BI changed this, although the later patches might also have done the same. In any case, I'm happy to allow my generals to sit at home as I never have an abundance of cash anyway which gives them more bad traits.

true, with taxes high and build ques full sitting arond for a while can be good, I find that god of war also has some nasty traits as well like anger. i.e. I love temple of Nike as Greeks (hoplites with 4 exp as new recruits is cool!) but all my generals get unquenchable rage or some such thing, I rarely exterminate new towns too. I have found that sitting on one settlement for a long peiod of time can make u r generals gay (asre/minion) which is bad for influsnace IIRC.

Dexter
03-22-2007, 08:31
tested a bid whit other factions, and the results were promising, just don`t keep two generals in one city .. one of them will always be a real pain in the .. you know ...

thanx for all the help !!! :bow:

bugrit
03-22-2007, 17:19
There is no concrete evidence to support the theory but I believe that the program has built-in mechanisms for keeping some sort of balance between the number of male family members you have and how many provinces you control.

Go forth and conquer and you will soon find that candidates present themselves for adoption, that your spinsters get marriage proposals from talented suitors and that your captains start winning Man of the Hour awards all over the map. I also believe that there is a strong tendency for blood-line male offspring to be born about 16 years before granddad is likely to be popping his clogs.

I have never seen any connection at all between birth-rate and having hubby at home or away on business. All and I do mean all of my male family members are permanently out in the field (to avoid the "wealth=bad traits" syndrome) and the gals at home produced six babies last turn!

I play RTR:PE but as far as I am aware, that's quite irrelevant because birth-rate hasn't been modified, or inded, could be.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-22-2007, 18:08
Hi bugrit,
Yep, your first point is true R:TW generally only likes to have one general per province. However, this, from experience only restricts adoptions and man of the hour events. I am also quite sure that EB have reduced the amount of generals by allowing only two per-province. I'm not completely sure, yet I hope this helps you, good luck, cheers!

Cody900
04-03-2007, 07:13
I don't really think it has too much to do with cash or letting generals sit in cities. In my Julii campain right now I'm on like 350,000 denarii, I always leave my generals in cities, for the extra bonuses and happiness it gives. I send out armies without generals, because when they win a heroic battle or two, you get the message saying they've proved themselves and are a suitable addition to the family. Which can also help with your problem, Dexter.

So yeah, in my current campain, I have over 350,000 denarii with 20 provinces, always leave my generals in cities, and yet I'm having marriages, coming of ages and births almost every single turn, two or more births usually.

I have 8 generals sitting in a city with a Scriptorium right now because they have no where better to go.

I guess some of it is just luck at the start, if you have some girls at the start, they grow to marry giving you more generals, and they also settle down to have kids. My family is just so big now that I don't have to worry.

bugrit
04-03-2007, 19:08
Hi bugrit,
Yep, your first point is true R:TW generally only likes to have one general per province. However, this, from experience only restricts adoptions and man of the hour events. I am also quite sure that EB have reduced the amount of generals by allowing only two per-province. I'm not completely sure, yet I hope this helps you, good luck, cheers!Yes, I think I see what you mean. Adoptions and MotH events default to a fairly high level of probability but the level is lowered by too high a general:province ratio.

The observable effect is the same, however. The likelihood of these events will vary according to your territorial gains - more provinces and you see more events, fewer provinces and you see fewer events. At least, this is what I have observed in my RTR:PE campaign.

So yeah, in my current campain, I have over 350,000 denarii with 20 provinces, always leave my generals in cities, and yet I'm having marriages, coming of ages and births almost every single turn, two or more births usually. In RTR:PE the likelihood that a governor will develop a bad trait increases when you have 50K in your coffers. It increases again when you reach 100K and maxes out when you reach 150K. I'm not sure, but I suspect that this is true for all versions of RTR.

Given time, I think you will start to see angry, greedy, lascivious, crazy, drunken, irreligious, corrupt, bores governing your cities, all of them busily dipping their fingers into the city's coffers and inducing unrest amongst your good citizens.

With regard to birthrate, all that I meant to imply is that it is unaffected by having all your faction's menfolk permanently away from home.

LuckyDog Trojan
04-03-2007, 19:12
So yeah, in my current campain, I have over 350,000 denarii with 20 provinces, always leave my generals in cities, and yet I'm having marriages, coming of ages and births almost every single turn, two or more births usually.

I have 8 generals sitting in a city with a Scriptorium right now because they have no where better to go.

Cody900: So let me get this straight. You have a governor in each of your 20 provinces PLUS you have one city-province that has 8 generals in it? WOW! To me, that is unusual.

My experience in general has been what others have stated on this thread - the number of family members I have tends to balance roughly with the number of provinces I own. The exception being, of course, additional family members / generals gained from "Man of the Hour" events and bribery by my diplomats.

Must be good Roman blood. Nothing like good Julii stock!

YENKO
04-04-2007, 00:00
In my Julii campaign (most temples are Jupiter ones) i am very short on Governors and generals. Later on, had to actually bribe some enemy generals. Now, in my current Brutii campaign, i have a great excess of generals/governors (most temples are Juno). I believe my great birth-rate is affected by all those Juno Ancillaries that give the improved chance of having children, the Doctor or whatever its named and the female one who also gives +health to the city. When i check my family tree, i think the most number of children (many family members with 4 kids) are the ones with the most +fertility ancillaries. AS the Brutii, my least concern is money, with all those big ex-Greek port-cities, money is flowing in like a river. I am just keeping a couple governors in some cities to get some useful ancillaries to transfer to my Generals. The Priest of Mars is nice, also i always stock on Chirugeons and Doctors. I really love when most of my 3 golden Chevron Cretan Archers recover after a nasty battle. Same for the mercenary hoplites. Also, its nice to have a large general bodyguard unit. Easier for him to kill stuff, and get his own chevrons. If you consider that my Cretan archers have Attack 20, its not bad at all. Love them very much. Often have a dedicated unit or two of Hoplites standing near and protecting them form a possible enemy Horse or Chariot attack. As for the extra money, i had no idea what to do with it. So started to make alliances with factions that are at war with the Egyptians and other Roman familes. How un-Roman (lol).
Fed them with milions of denarii, and what i have now, is a beautifully balanced game-map with many strong nations, usually at war with eachother :2thumbsup: My buddies the Seleucid Empire are keeping the Egyptians at bay ( i have taken Alexandria (to monitor things between Egyptians and the Scipii) and Damascus (to monitor things between the Seleucids and Egyptians). The Britons are now super rich, and can keep at bay the Germans, and the Gauls. Only the Julii are now gaining terrirories. Slowly but still. I am quickly building my new Quinquireme fleet, which will substiture eventually my strong trireme-fleet. Once i am happy with my fleet, i might also attack the Julii, senate or not. With me ruling the seas, the other Romans can only attack me through Segestica, Illyria. Being Segestica heavily fortified with nearby 2 forts filled with archers, onagers and some Legionary cohorts, their effort will be a hugely costly one, i hope.

Will see, so far so good. Fun thing is, i own only about 25 provinces (220 BC) and most of my empire is not over land (as in the Julii campaign) but on the sea. The Eastern Mediterranean is surrounded by settlements owned by me, but i have zero settlements without a port! Funny situation.:yes:

Y.

Cody900
04-04-2007, 16:31
Cody900: So let me get this straight. You have a governor in each of your 20 provinces PLUS you have one city-province that has 8 generals in it? WOW! To me, that is unusual.

Exactly right. Infact, I have way more than that after looking, I have like, another 8 in Carthage, and a few more in other cities.

I took a screenshot, 21 provinces controlled, 65 family members.....

https://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p230/TomBinks900/RTW/GeneralsJulii.jpg

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-04-2007, 18:35
I've seen that sort of thing in a Scipii campaign before, I still have the save somewhere, yet, due to an unfortuante lack of hard-drive space I don't have R:TW installed - only M:TW and S:TW. Yet, as I have mentioned, all of the generals that were appearing every turn were sons or generals whom had married into my family. As I have said, it seems a general rule that Man of the Hour events and adoptions only occur when there are fewer Generals than provinces. It can still happen, yet not very often.

LuckyDog Trojan
04-04-2007, 18:48
65 family members with 21 controlled provinces. Strange indeed. I guess that goes to show you that in R:TW - from one campaign game to the next - that some things remain the same and some things do change.

bugrit
04-05-2007, 04:41
Indeed.

And the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dexter
04-05-2007, 07:25
Some other funny thing is that now i have 2 Victors in the family .. some 20 regions ... or less ... and 80% of the offspring are boyos !!! huraaaaaaa .. the Julian dynasty is growing. Have only temples to Jupiter and Demeter, 3 generals wage war, rest city man, but sewers make them drinkers ... strange ... no matter if he is in the city, or comes back to it .. he will like to drink ....
and the 3 who are on the warpath they have children, yet they have children !!!
maybe there wifes missed them :P