PDA

View Full Version : More Big Brother shinaniginns from New Labour

InsaneApache
03-25-2007, 01:28
“Even more improper is drawing up a list of people who oppose your policy. One can think of no other reason to do this than to punish them or gag them in some way.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1563875.ece

We need to get these maniacs out of office ASAP. Will the madness never end?

KukriKhan
03-25-2007, 02:15
We had that in 1971 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon%27s_Enemies_List), you might remember, IA.

The affair ended badly for the incumbent, as I recall.

Kralizec
03-25-2007, 14:38
Nixon's list wasn't limited to politicans or civil servants, I recall.

IA: I agree in principle, but the other side of the coin is that the civil service in practice has its own interests and a bias against any change in their disadvantage (not just in the UK). The crucial point is why civil servants oppose a political agenda.

InsaneApache
03-25-2007, 14:49
The point I'm trying to make is that traditionally the civil service in the UK is politically neutral. I know. When I was an LGO I was asked to perform tasks by my political masters that ran counter to my political beliefs. I carried out my duties regardless. It was my job to do so.

New Labour has politicised the civil service to such an extent that now anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with them now finds that they may well end up on a list somewhere.

When the Tories get in at the next election, it will be the Labour luvvies who will be screaming the loudest at the very thing they implemented.

Be careful what you sow......

BDC
03-26-2007, 09:56
The damage is done now. Damn Labour. They should have realised that Britain ran on a large dose of goodwill, now they have destroyed that trying to set targets and things. Going to take decades to fix the mess, if ever.

What annoys me more is that Labour aren't evil wannabe dictators, they're just naive idiots. Except Brown, who is an evil wannabe dictator in addition to being an idiot.

Incongruous
03-26-2007, 10:03
Do you really think so?

Also, do you think labour knows it's completley overbaord now? I mean, do they actually believe another election victory is possible?