PDA

View Full Version : Two Topics--SOS--Need Crusading Army--FAST/His Hatness' Battle Record

Indy1958
03-28-2007, 18:01
Dear All:

Greetings from Canada!!! I hope this finds you and yours well. As for me, I could complain...yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm playing as Sicily and finding it fun. Last night, I cased Prague and Tunis, had my first storm, creamed a heretic, married off my Princess into the Royal Family of the HRE, and took over the town of Durazzo.

His Hatness has just called a Crusade against Antioch, and I need an army QUICK!!!! I have no mercenaries in the area. Any suggestions, ideas and/or vague notions will be greatly appreciated. I'm to cough up an army in 8 turns.

Speaking of His Hatness, since when has he led an army into battle? Last night, I saw him with TWO BATTLE STARS floating around with him. Would I be going out on a limb when I say that fighting for God doesn't count? Please don't take this as blasphemy!!!!!

Live long and prosper, take care, and thank you kindly!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

alpaca
03-28-2007, 18:05
1. Join the crusade, you'll get loads of crusade mercenaries afterwards
2. His popiness can fight, although usually not very well. He's a character on the strat map just as everybody else.

Whacker
03-28-2007, 18:14
Indy, in order to join up with the crusade, you need at least general character and 8 other units (can be anything). If you're hurting for stuff, just cobble together units from nearby cities of yours and buy up any mercenaries you can find until you get that magical 8, and then have the general join. Once you join up, you can hire cheap crusading units and then send your other garrison units back to where they're needed.

:balloon2:

Edit - correction, vonsch is right. You need 8 total units, which includes a general in order to join a crusade. So a general + 7 other units will work.

vonsch
03-28-2007, 18:46
Indy, in order to join up with the crusade, you need at least general character and 8 other units (can be anything). If you're hurting for stuff, just cobble together units from nearby cities of yours and buy up any mercenaries you can find until you get that magical 8, and then have the general join. Once you join up, you can hire cheap crusading units and then send your other garrison units back to where they're needed.

:balloon2:

Actually, 7 other units works for me.

And in that circumstance, just hire 7 peasants if you can't afford to strip garrisons. Then head off by sea and land somewhere a few turns walk from Antioch, dilly-dally a bit so a bunch of peasants desert, then replace them with good crusader mercs.

Hey, there was a Peasant Crusade! Why not reinact it?

Xehh II
03-28-2007, 19:06
Since the Pope is a person on the strategy map, shouldn't they make him like a priest instead of a general?

alpaca
03-28-2007, 19:21
Wouldn't work with the engine, faction leader has to be a so-called "named character" which means it's a general.

Whacker
03-28-2007, 19:22
Since the Pope is a person on the strategy map, shouldn't they make him like a priest instead of a general?

Doubtful it'd work with the game code. Family members (which he technically is.... in game terms) including faction leaders and whatnaught are all general army units. I guess they could code it up so he's not, but I don't know what that would entail for personal security and whatnaught. Guess you could have a "Pope" priest trait that adds a ton to piety/security/etc, but he'd probably also follow priest-AI code routines. I'd just as rather leave him as a general unit.

/shrug

Henry the Fifth
03-28-2007, 22:32
Depends on the Pope Julius the II led armies into battle when he was defending the Papal states!

TevashSzat
03-29-2007, 00:14
It would also be open to glitches since you can kill agents off with the boxing with 8 trick. That would make exploiting the popes so easy since you can kill off popes without actually declaring war on the papal states and getting excommunicated or by using assasins

HoreTore
03-29-2007, 00:28
Well, priests, bishops, cardinals and popes have all led armies at one point or the other. Henry the fifth pointed out the pope, read the three musketeers to see Cardinal Richelieu in action...

Indy1958
03-29-2007, 01:01
Dear Gang:

Greetings from Canada!! I hope this finds you well. As for me, I could complain...yadda, yadda, yadda.

You're telling me that if I could control the Papal States, and in this game I know we can't, I could use His Hatness for a general?

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly!!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

HoreTore
03-29-2007, 01:24
You can control the papacy. Simply cut and paste papal states from unplayable to unlockable in desc_strat...

See the guides forum on how to do it.

alpaca
03-29-2007, 01:26
With a little modding it's pretty easy to play his popiness (or his evil twin, Duke Giorgio of Milan as can be seen here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1482659&postcount=166)) XD

adembroski
03-29-2007, 19:05
To your second question...
Just to lay down my credencials because certainly someone's going to come at me over this crap, yes I have read the Bible, extensively... raised Irish Catholic, chose Baptist myself later, practicing...

at any rate... as most know, Jesus was a pacificist... however, God is not. God sanctioned many wars in the Bible, and if I remember the passage right, comes dangerously close to sanctioning a genocide at one point. Among many inaccurate translations (as opposed to out and out mistranslations) in the Bible is the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill,", which is more properly read; "Thou Shalt Not Murder".

So no, the Pope fighting to defend the papal states is not something a literal interpretation of the Bible would have a problem with, provided you took into account ALL of the Bible, which few do now days...

IrishArmenian
03-30-2007, 02:25
So no, the Pope fighting to defend the papal states is not something a literal interpretation of the Bible would have a problem with, provided you took into account ALL of the Bible, which few do now days...
Hate to go off topic, but the Bible does contradict itself a lot. It is very hard to find the balance, so I generally side with what Jesus says.:juggle2:
Anyhoo, so my post does have relevance: get some cheap infantry and have them join a general.