PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Coats of Kings

Orb
04-01-2007, 15:29
Velvet Coats of Kings

An EB 0.81a, VH/M, heavily roleplayed, Lusotannan AAR
Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a week or two before getting Photoshop again.

'Exchange your rags for the velvet coats of kings!' - ELP ('Pirates')

"Perhaps the most remarkable of recent events in the world is the dramatic expansion of the Iberian tribe that Romans call the 'Lusitani'. Such ambitious movements, by so small and impoverished a nation, we have never seen before. It seems to me, as a learned man, that they will soon exchange their rags for the velvet cloaks of kings." - Xanthippos of Lepki, a Puno-Greek historian based in the Qarthadastim.

"This Iberian 'Lance of Jupiter', as the locals call it, is a mere sudden burst of energy from one of the backwards tribes of that place. I doubt sincerely that it could ever threaten Roman intentions. In less than a decade, I suspect, it will be broken by Carthaginian or internal pressure." - an unknown Roman author, approx 268 BC

"I myself have seen and suffered the new determination and dedication of the Lusitani. The Lusitani will rise, and will fall. But I am sure that they will not be soon forgotten." - Jubal of Sucum-Murgi, captured along with his city at around 270 BC by the Lusitani

Soon to follow: Chapter 1, the Phoenician clasp
Targets-

Military:
At least one standing unit of non-bodyguard Ambarako Epones or capture of a faction settlement outside mainland Iberia. One standing unit of ships. :)
Military access to or possession of: Oxtraca, Sucum Murgi, Baikor, Gader and Mastia, as well as Tingis, Arsé or Tyde :).
No rebels inside own territory.

Diplomatic:
One of:

Alliance with the SPQR, trade rights with the Arverni and Aedui. Must gain at least 1,000 net mnai diplomatically from Rome.
Alliance with Epeiros or Koinon Hellenon, trade rights with the Arverni and Aedui. Must gain at least 1,500 net mnai diplomatically from Epeiros/KH. :)
Alliance with Qarthadastim and the Aedui. In this case, must gain at least 3,000 in net mnai from Qarthadastim (cities bought from them do not count against this, cities sold to them count for it).

Map information covering all of Iberia, and at least one spy and one diplomat in Africa, Gaul and Italy :)

Economic:
At least 10,000 Mnai, and an income of 1,000 Mnai per year. /:)
At least one mine. :/
Larger population than either the Aedui or the Arverni. :)

Technological:
At least one city with a level 3 temple, a type one government and three assorted public order buildings (enforcers, tavern and games field). :/
Largest (population) city or most extensive trading port in Iberia, with a type one or two government. ;)

Social:
Public order >90 for all of own settlements. :)
One character with a biographer or similar figure.
One character with a 'good administrator' trait.
One character with a 'good commander' and 'veteran'. :)
One character with five or more influence. :)

Explanations - This chapter basically is meant to illustrate the steps the Lusotannan need to take to escape the shadow of Qarthadastim before becoming too large.

Orb
04-01-2007, 18:08
The Velvet Coats of Kings

Chapter I

The Phoenician Clasp

'At last, Elissa went forth, with a great mass of people crowding round, dressed in a Sidonian cloak with a painted border; her quiver made of gold, her hair tied back in a golden clasp' - Aeneid (book IV)

"The first steps", writes John C. Bell, "of the Iberian tribe known as the Lusitanians towards national and imperial ambitions, was to escape the Carthaginian yolk. While the Carthaginians respected them as adversaries and as allies, they were naturally seen as a servant kingdom. The chieftain Tantalos Lusotanakum, at the age of sixty, finally recognised this fact:

'I have come to understand', his scribe recorded, 'that we will never be great so long as we are in the shadow of the distant towers of Carthage. We cannot negotiate with the powers of the East, nor expand beyond local tribal struggles. We must build faster than an empire with unlimited resources and the manpower of all the Iberians combined. If we weren't Lusitanians, I'd consider this difficult.'

Tantalos embarked now on plans, leaving military command to his sons, his heir Latronos, who was about forty and his other son Ditalkos, thirty-five. The kingdom was, he intended, going to either grow too big for the golden clasp of Tyre to hold, or else to break free. This was the beginning of the great push of the Lusotanians!"

Jubal was at this time king of Sucum Murgi, and in the spring of 271 BC, the Lusitani moved against him. He attributes his defeat to the sheer numbers of his enemy, but interestingly notes a change in the attitudes of these people to war.

"It amazed me to see the change in the opposing forces. In the past, they had had legions of flashy horsemen, now they had just their own bodyguards. Where they once had a substantial force of elite spearmen, they had stripped their army down to only three thousand of the Scortamareva, six thousand Caetrati and twelve thousand militia.

I had four thousand Caetrati, fifteen hundred Scortamareva and four thousand gestikapoinann spearmen. Despite their cuts, they were still a force far greater than any I could field. But still I tried, and lost."

It would appear that Tantalos had managed to cut Lusitanian financial problems to a quarter of their previous enormous losses, by simply disbanding the more expensive parts of his military and returning those soldiers to his economy.

The king Jubal fought, outnumbered roughly two to one by the Lusitani, the battle began with the numerous Lusitani skirmishers raining javelins upon the enemy over the walls, and battering several holes in the walls. Lusitani soldiers then entered the town and slowly overpowered the defenders. Jubal himself assisted his men in the attempt to turn back the Lusitanians, but this was unsuccessful. Slowly but surely the Caetrannan surrounded him and his men. Eventually he fled, but was surrounded. One of the Caetrati cut through his leg and tore off the ankle. He was crippled for life, and spent four years in prison, before impressing the Lusitanian kings enough that they employed him as their chief historian. The battle, it would seem, really ended at the palisade with the capture of Jubal: the 3,500 men he had left to guard the top of the hill were easily defeated, and could clearly have been put to better use in the clash.

The Lusitani lost (Jubal records) about 2,100 men, dead or injured. Of these about a third were the elite Scortamareva spearmen, while the rest were dispensable levies.

Scutum Murgi was captured, giving the Lusotannan a stronger base in southern Spain. Amazingly, the population were unharmed, and the new income reduced their financials losses again by about three fifths to three thousand mnai lost each year (compared to the previous thirty thousand). Jubal began to ease his way into the confidence of Latronos, advising him subtly about other Iberian tribes (turncoat Eleutheroi) and also to write his histories. A man was hired as a second bodyguard for Latronos after he saved his life in battle. The Carthaginians were beginning to become nervous. Perhaps they had reason to...

Later in that same year, the Lusitani also took Baikor off the Carpetani. That was no great challenge for Ditalkos. who outnumbered them more than two to one anyway, especially as the Carpetani's strength was their cavalry, which were useless inside cities. Almost five thousand men died or elected to leave the army as a result of that battle. This somewhat dented the Lusitani might, but the economy Tantalos had envisaged was a reality only a year and a half after he had planned it. The Lusitanians were now making about four thousand mnai each year.

Wolfman
04-01-2007, 21:18
Yes I got the First post here! It's good to finally see a Lusotannan AAR and the first and only Iberian AAR.

Orb
04-02-2007, 12:12
'"How on earth," the thunder of the old man's voice was enough to cow most enemies, and even more easily his own sons, "did you manage to lose so many men, with such a large advantage? Did you even consider that we might not want to wait ten years for the Carthaginians to build up an army large enough to scrub us from the face of the map?"

"Father," Latronos intervened, "he killed more than he lost. I cannot..."
"Quiet, Lat [This was the pet name used by Tantalos for his favourite son]. I've half a mind to disinherit him. We can't allow the other nobles to see so many losses go unpunished."
"Do not, father, we can make something else of these. I, with a force of thirteen and a half thousand men, can defeat the Carthaginian Hasdrubal at Mastia."
Ditalkos rose with a concerned look on his face (for he was fond of his elder brother), "The Carthaginians have nearly twenty thousand men there, and Hasdrubal is a renowned commander."
"Brother, I will set off to the borders of the area controlled by Baikor in summer with the entire army."
"Won't they get suspicious?"
"Actually, your losses benefit us now. They do not believe us capable of any sort of real strike."
"How will you win the battle?"
"They are mostly weak punic citizens and Iberian levies. Only their general's guard can stand up to our formidable Caetratann."
"They outnumber you, and Hasdrubal is a famous sold..."

"Every week, the majority of the army is led on a grand training exercise by a certain General Akbar, according to my informers. We will strike it then, when it lacks the elite Carthaginian horsemen and their renowned commander, and break it. Then, as Hasdrubal arrives to rescue it, I will surround him and cut him down."
Tantalos spoke, "Alright, try this scheme. As a grounds for war, Jubal claims that the Carthaginians were trying to subvert him in an alliance against us. A failure will almost certainly reduce us to protectorate status, so be careful. And if you do fail, you will almost certainly be handed to the Carthaginians, understand?"
Latronos grinned, "Yes, father. Ditalkos, you should help with the financial matters for this battle, and manage Sucum Murgi or Baikor. We don't want to have both sons go, that could alert the Carthaginians."
Ditalkos nodded, and the meeting was concluded.'

- Jubal, history of the Lusitani and Carthaginian Spain.

Orb
04-02-2007, 14:11
Played up to spring 265 - next post will follow later today.

Orb
04-02-2007, 18:37
General Akbar, himself a Puno-Iberian, gives this account of the build-up to the first battle between Carthaginian and Lusitanian forces:

"While we knew the Lusitanians were nearby, we had no idea of their hostile intentions. My first thoughts were that they meant to take Arsé or Emporion. Seeing as they had earlier in the year accepted 300 mnai for their maps, I assumed they meant to keep friendly relations. I later discovered that they had a spy in our city, who indicated the maneouvring we regularly did to the ambitious Latronos."

"Latronos saw the composition of the Carthaginians", writes Jubal, "and immediately decided that he would use the battle to cement his future position as king of the expanding Lusitani-Carpetani kingdom. He led a force of 13,500 men - 5,000 Caetrannan, 7,000 Iovamann skirmishers, 1,000 Scortamareva elite spearmen and his own 500 strong bodyguard."

Akbar says that, "if Hasdrubal had been with us from the start, a loss would not have been feasible, but the soldiers were unwilling to fight for me, an untested commander. Their Caetrati simply drove through my force of spearmen and skirmishers, while their own experienced skirmishers demoralised us with volleys of javelins. I managed to hold together my own guard of 1,500 citizens until the end, while others escaped and retreated to the city, and others still fought elsewhere on the field. I have been informed that about 4,400 men in all escaped to the city from my army. I cannot account for what happened to Hasdrubal, because I was so busy fighting to hold my men together. In the end, I suffered a severe arm injury, and was dragged to the ground by two Caetrati, who held me down with the massive strength of their Iberian bodies. My men, seeing this, fled."

Jubal accounts for what happened elsewhere: "Hasdrubal arrived with his 5,000 Iberian spearmen, not long after the two sides had begun to clash. His horsemen overwhelmed the Iovamann, who had the bad luck to defend against him, but were held long enough for others to appear. Although he managed to inflict defeats on some of the enemies sent against him, he could not compete against Latronos, whose horsemen were fresher than his own. His spearmen proved of little help as the scortamareva and other Caetrannan finally arrived (having defeated Akbar) and surrounded them. When his guards had fallen and his men had suffered a decisive defeat, he tried to flee towards Mastia, to rally his men there and make a last stand."

If Hasdrubal had escaped to the city, it seems likely that the Carthaginians would have reinforced it, and the Lusitanians would have been satisfied with their victory, but fate dictated otherwise.

"I observed Lord Hasdrubal being struck from his horse by the man at Latronos' right hand side." says Akbar.

In this battle, the Lusitanians lost about 5,700 men, while the Carthaginians lost about 13,800 men. Many others fled, leaving about 4,400 in the city, hoping for reserves. Unfortunately for the surviving levies, the Lusitanians quickly stormed the town, enslaving the populace and destroying the Carthaginian government and barracks. This had occurred by the spring of 269 BC, and in the winter of the same year, the Carthaginian fleet accepted an exchange of hostages and sailed back to Carthage, with vengeance in their minds.

With Mastia having been taken, Lusitanian profits were at about 2,500 mnai each season, and they were almost immediately out of debt.

Akbar was returned to Carthage with the hostage exchange in the Winter of 269. He was imprisoned for six months, until Mago called him in to be questioned about the Iberians, and the potential risks of reinforcing Gader or recapturing Mastia. Mago released the young man, and he fought in the Carthaginian army again, until he was killed in 266BC at the battle of Syracuse.

Next time: First Peace?

Morte66
04-02-2007, 19:53
What size units are you using. I'm guessing there's some sort of troop scale, or can RTW really do these sorts of numbers on computers faster than mine?

Nice strategy, by the way.

Orb
04-02-2007, 20:52
I'm using Huge scale (only one for me) and then multiplying by 10. Casualties I assume to be not only actual losses, but people leaving the army, suffering incapacitating wounds and deserting.

It's not really me: I just tell the Caetrati to kill something and it magically vanishes.

Comments on the future of Akbar added.

Sarcasm
04-02-2007, 20:54
Yes I got the First post here! It's good to finally see a Lusotannan AAR and the first and only Iberian AAR.

I plan eventually to make one, really text based AAR, on the Lusitani. Just waiting for a few units to become available.

BTW: Nice job Orb, keep it up.

Orb
04-02-2007, 21:44
"I find it amazing that the Carthaginians did not have the inclination or manpower to reinforce their Iberian stronghold of Gader, yet continued to launch seaborne assaults on Rome, which could not have lasted more than a couple of months. Some attribute it to the pirate fleet, or the advice of General Akbar, who was defeated at Mastia, or else that they believed the Lusitani would not be more active, but they did not reinforce the city, or make any attempt to retake Mastia in the next few years." - John C. Bell

"I do not believe that it is potentially profitable to hold Iberia against a determined and prepared Lusitanian-led coalition. However, I have provided funds for Gader to produce its own garrison, and hope that it will successfully defend its status as a client state against these barbarians." - the Shophet Mago's speech to the council of Carthage.

Jubal, as our best source from inside the Lusitanian ranks, claims that these were the first "few years of real prosperity for the new Lusitano-Iberian alliance. Governments are being set up in Scutum Murgi, Baikor and Mastia. Temples are finally being constructed. Despite the efforts of a few bandits, our roads are fairly safe, and the coffers of Lusitana are now flowing with gold. We have maps of Gaul and of all Iberia, and our gaze is extending even to Italy. We have reached an understanding and an alliance with the Arverni, and even German amber graces our marketplaces. I, with all other prisoners from Sucum Murgi and Baikor, have been released from Sucum Murgi and even hired as court historian."

He also notes the arrival of Latronos' son, Ambon, at the age of manhood, and compliment's the boy's sense and uncanny dedication to the markets. Ambon was sent to govern Baikor, although his father wanted him to lead the attack on Gader as soon as possible.

"Latronos said, 'Father, Ambon is unblooded but shows competence in war. I know now that the Carthaginians are plotting a second strike, with our retrained army he could deliver a blow to Gader.'
Tantalos replied, 'and why could you not?'
Latronos argued that the humiliation of a defeat by a mere boy would stun the Carthaginians into inaction. Tantalos did not accept the reasoning or the risk, and ordered Latronos to lead the attack himself." - Jubal, history of the Lusitani and Carthaginian Spain.

The events Jubal is now describing are best dated from 269 BC to 266BC. He records more solemnly that in the Autumn of 266BC that Tantalos fell ill, and promptly died, but not before "early in [267 BC], the Lusitani army was again assembled, with over 18,000 experienced warriors. These were led by Latronos towards Gader, the last point of Qarthadastim resistance in Spain. Though it was well guarded, with about 18,000 warriors of its own, its men were inferior in quality to the Lusitanians, and their lack of a notable general showed in their inactivity. They were besieged, and declined to sally out for the time being."

Upon the death of Tantalos, Latronos was made king. Ditalkos was granted possession of Baikor and Sucum Murgi, and a sum of 2,000 Mnai by the will left behind, while Latronos was granted the title of King, as well as the cities of Oxtraca, Gader (although this was not yet in his possession) and Mastia.

Without Latronos' knowledge, young Ambron (he was acting as his father's agent, while he was on campaign) exchanged Oxtraca for Baikor and Sucum Murgi. While his father was angry as a result of this, he did quickly forgive the boy when his motives for the exchange were explained (he noted that with two large regions, Ditalkos would easily be able to strike a deal with the Carthaginians or some other tribe and produce soldiers for a rebellion - particularly if he felt offended that his offer was being refused), Akbar notes ironically that Ambron would have made a "fine Carthaginian, if not for his father".

Finally, in the Winter of 267 BC, the Puno-Iberians sallied out of Gader, and were surrounded and defeated. They had lost many soldiers because of their delaying, and were outnumbered. When they were trying to sally out, the, by now very hungry, Lusitanians rushed at them and began looting houses for food before the battle was over. The Iberian army's experience showed in the fight, and the pro-Carthaginian troops largely surrendered.

The Puno-Iberians lost all of their remaining 14,300 men, most of these either surrendered or were given freedom on the spot provided they could show a Lusitanian the way to the nearest granary. The Lusitanian casualties were cited as being 2,330, but could be higher or lower. The Lusitani were now able to both fund their army and civilian projects, and turning over a profit of 2,500 mnai each season, as well as keeping a standing body of 10,000 experienced Caetrati and a suitable number of auxiliaries.

It is also notable that this battle united all of southern Iberia under the Lusitani, and secured the hold on the throne of Latronos. The roaming eyes of the Lusitani turned north and east, towards the city of Arsé and the Punic colony of Bocchoris (which a spy, having taken a boat trip with pirates from Emporion, found to be poorly guarded).

Objectives achieved:
Military access to or possession of: Oxtraca, Sucum Murgi, Baikor, Gader and Mastia
Income of 1,000 Mnai per year
Largest (population) city or most extensive trading port in Iberia, with a type one or two government.
One character with 4 or more stars and 'veteran'.
Map information covering all of Iberia, and spies in Gaul and Italy.

Morte66
04-02-2007, 23:20
I like the quotes, especially the historian-style quotes. They have an uncanny ring to them.

Cadeyrn
04-02-2007, 23:36
I have to agree with Morte on that. It's a great read.

Orb
04-03-2007, 09:41
The first imperial steps of the Lusitani soon followed the removal of Qart-Hadast from Iberia: Bocchoris and then Tyde were attacked by Lusitanian forces. The storming of Bocchoris was accomplished with a fleet assembled at Mastia, and 4,000 Caetrati led by Ambon, son of Latronos.

Unfortunately, the spies of the Lusitani coalition had underestimated the strength of Bocchoris - they had suggested that there would be less than five thousand, probably all militia, anyway, but:

"Upon arriving we found ourselves to be vastly outnumbered, and facing stronger enemies than we had anticipated. There were two armies, one of which was outside the city, and had managed to thus elude our lone spy. The other was also stronger than anticipated; we had meant to face only citizen militia, but they had dangerous Balearic slingers and light infantry as well."

The best estimation we have of the three forces are:
Lusitani - 4,000 Caetrannan, not particularly experienced, and Ambon's 500 bodyguards.
Carthaginians outside city - 1,600 Militia and 2,400 Balearic slingers.
Carthaginians inside city - 1,600 militia, 1,200 Balearic slingers and 2,000 Balearic light infantry.

Jubal, who was understandably not present at the battle, gathered the following account:
"The Lusitanians spread out into a loose formation, to lessen the effect of the opposing slings, and marched towards those men in the countryside. They were able to, quite easily, overcome the slingers and the citizens before the other men arrived. Now they were faced with fresh men, but men inferior to their own in quality. Though the battle was long and difficult, again they overcame."

In the same year, he mentions that a small force of elite Libyan veterans, supported by the shophet, came to attempt to reclaim Mastia. The sixteen hundred men were cut down by the returning Ambon, whose heroic victory put him as one of the chief generals of the Lusitani.

John Bell comments on Puno-Iberian relationships after this time.

"Although a peace treaty was again concluded, the Carthaginians were unwilling to accept an alliance again, even though the Lusitani offered the return of Bocchoris for a token sum. In 262, Ambon successfully fought off over 10,000 independent Punic merchants and citizens with the aid of locally recruited Iberians, and a ceasefire was accepted again.

As a result of this rejection, the Lusitani sought a powerful ally elsewhere. The Romans also refused any offer of friendship, though they were willing to pay well for Lusitanian maps, while the Epeirotes (now possessing only Rhegion in Italia, but still powerful in Greece because of their alliance with the dominant Koinon of the Greeks) would gladly form a nominal alliance, but refused any monetary requests."

Jubal gives more information about the actions of the Lusitani at home:
"A certain Elatunako Brigantiucoi, who had recently been betrothed to Turenta, daughter of Ditalkos, led an attack on the so-called Crossing King Seko, a brigand just within Lusitanian borders with support from the Gallaeci of Tyde. The Crossing King was defeated, and after the Gallaeci refused a tribute to make up for the damage caused by their sponsorship, Elatunako attacked and soundly beat them, too. As he returned south, having taken the town, he engaged and clearly defeated another army of rebels under one of the Carpetani's former retainers, named Sekonos."

He also notes that taxes were lowered, ostensibly out of kindness, but realistically to reduce the number of rebels.

At about this time, preparations were begun for an attack on the Helleno-Iberians of Arsé, with a force of 9,000 men, mostly natives, Ambon led a march north in Autumn 261. Ambon launched the attack soon after and took the city of Arsé from Epaphos of the Edetani. The Greek militia were no match for the falcatas, but the Iberians in the town centre resisted ferociously, and the Lusitani-led Iberians suffered many losses. Regardless, a victory was achieved. Later in that same year (we believe it is 261 BC), general Elatunako defeated another brigand host, and was nearly done clearing the land of rebellions and brigands.

"Upon hearing of the arrival of a Koinon host to oust the Epeirotes from Southern Italy, the Lusitani quickly discovered that the Greeks were far more generous than the Epeirotes, and shifted their alliance accordingly. They received 1,500 Mnai through two deals in early 260 BC, and thus knew that the Greeks valued their alliance. This established the position of the Lusitani as a single diplomatic entity - they had diplomats at the courts of Carthage and at the Roman senate, as well as in the halls of tribal kings and the Gallic nations. Their network of spies extended into Italy and Africa, allowing them to judge current events and act accordingly." - John Bell

In the second half of 260 BC, Elatunako finished off the last of the brigands and rebels of Lusotana in a pitched battle. Their status as a rising nation was confirmed by the defeat of all who disputed the word of King Latronos. The efficiency and ability of Elatunako in accomplishing this task led him to be given governorship of Mastia and Baikor.

Lusotannan tablets from the period mention the betrothal of Ambron to a certain Ama, daughter of the African king in Tingis, and also the status as a second son accorded to an adoptee (of Latronos) from the Vettones, named Kasilos Orengicoi. In this period, the temple complex at Oxtraca which stands even to this day, was begun.

Edit: sorry about the slight drop in quality there, it was mostly written while I was playing and wasn't taking many notes, so it's slightly confused in terms of chronology and detail.

Orb
04-03-2007, 19:08
Update finished. Runs to the end of 260.

As for how I'm doing on the goals, which have been altered slightly to reflect a change in views/practical boredom.

All social goals are met; I have 90+ public order in all settlements, a bard on one character, Latronos has both 5 influence and 4 command (I think Elatunako and Ambon both have four command and veteran status too). Ditalkos has an obscene amount of management, (I've decided 5 will class as 'good administrator').

All diplomatic goals are met; the KH (not originally included, but seeing as they now control all of Southern Greece + some islands and are larger than Epeiros) paid out 1,500 for an alliance and maps. I have an alliance with the Arverni, trade rights with the Aedui, diplomats and spies just about everywhere (tremble, Carthage, tremble).

All military goals will be met, as soon as I retrain my boats from Carthaginian nastinesses (not my fault, I just can't compete with their pentekonters). I own all the specified settlements plus Arsé and Tyde, as well as Bocchoris, which counts as my 'not Iberia' conquest and conveniently provides me with an easy funnel for the Carthaginians as well as decent trade income. I did try to sell it back and go for the Carthage alliance goal, but they wouldn't have the alliance. Rebels have been finished off completely by Elatunako.

Technological goals have progressed more slowly, but I just need to wait 2 more years (from 258) to finish my 3rd tier temple in Oxtraca. Oxtraca already has the three happiness buildings (enforcers, games field + tavern) and a type one government. I believe it is also the largest city in Iberia, but I'll check that later. Conveniently enough, the Carthaginians left behind a nice trading port in Mastia, which fulfils my other goal.

The economic goals are progressing well enough, I'm making 4,000 mnai per turn, give or take a couple of hundred, and I have a mine under construction (6-8 turns to go) in Gader. I have a larger population than the Arverni and Cassé, but not larger than the Aedui.

Orb
04-06-2007, 11:54
"258 BC saw another brief lapse in Carthaginian-Lusitanian relations, when 5,000 Carthaginian-sponsored citizens launched a naval attack on the Lusitani and the formidable Elatunako almost failed to arrive on time, similarly, the Iberians were very concerned by Carthaginian expansion in Africa, and vowed to intervene if their ally, the King of Tingis, whose daughter Ama was married to Ambon, was under threat by Carthaginian forces." - John Bell

House rule added - Tingis alliance (I've actually implemented it earlier, but I don't think I've mentioned it yet): Must declare war on Carthage if Tingis comes under attack. Not allowed to attack Tingis unless the ruler dies, or it is taken by another faction. If possible, Ambon should be dispatched to lead the attack on Carthage. If Tingis is taken, it will be assigned a type 4 government.

Otherwise, there were no other major concerns of the Lusitani in 258: the rebellions had been bested, their enemies humiliated and their lands protected. Unfortunately, "the Qart-Hadastim fleet is unstoppable: their pentekonterai cannot be challenged by our flotillas" - as Jubal mentions (note his decisive change in tone: The Lusitani coalition is a 'we' by now, implying they were liked by all their subtribes.)

Orb
04-06-2007, 18:05
Well, now I've finally completed the first chapter's goals completely (finished Summer 255, turns taken 35) (to be written later today, I hope), I'll comment on the world position.

Rome are basically in Italy, and are attacking Messana too, they still lack some of the Northern Italian Gallic settlements, but have Massilia, IIRC.

The Seleucids have crushed the Ptolemies. They have taken all the latter's provinces in the Levant, as well as Memphis and Alexandria.

The Arverni are now a protectorate of the Aedui, and reduced to Gergovia, while the Aedui are expanding nicely. The Sweboz have rocket-expanded again and are busily killing of the Belgae.

I'll probably set goals for my next chapter when I write the end of this one up.

Boyar Son
04-06-2007, 18:57
Good AAR on the Lusotannan!:book:

Hope to see more, and I especially like the quotes!

Orb
04-06-2007, 23:45
"I write at my father's request," thus open the annals of the pathetic and generally useless son of Ditalkos. Though a handsome lad, and very easy to get on with, he lacked the energy or wit to do anything without the expressed order of his father, "to hand down the annals of the Lusitani from a time when the worthy historian Jubal has vanished. Though the Carthaginian citizens launched yet another strike against us, they were repelled easily outside Bocchoris by my brother-in-law Elatunako. My uncle Latronos (who seems, from what is recorded in the few notes he left behind, to have been pleased by the boy's uselessness) has himself taken up the sword again and put down the new troubles that have sprung up in our land. First he defeated a small band of anarchists near Sucum Murgi, and then Phoenicians with vile intentions and the support of a minor king at Gader. Shamefully, even Lusitanians joined in with the treachery, believing that with our new size and status, we would come under attack sooner. These were defeated by loyalists and veterans on a hilltop near the capital of Oxtraca"

Ludens
04-11-2007, 14:50
I don't often comment on AAR's, but this one is too good to pass on. I really enjoy the quasi-historical narration. Please continue ~:thumb: .

alatar
04-11-2007, 20:27
Brilliant!

Orb
04-12-2007, 21:16
My comp's ****ed up again. No more updates for a while.