PDA

View Full Version : How to retreat from battlefield without any losses???

guineawolf
04-07-2007, 17:05
How to retreat from battlefield without any losses???

Example:i use Parthian Horse Archers,i am out of arrow,i retreat all my Horse Archers,then i lossed some of them,how am i gonna to avoid this?:help:

Poulp'
04-07-2007, 17:22
Do you order all your units to retreat at once, or do you gradually move them out ?
Do you let some units do the last stand fighting to buy time ?
How far are retreating units from the edges of the map when you call the retreat ?

Still, you should expect some losses

guineawolf
04-08-2007, 04:38
can't we avoid it?
even when the enemy have no cavalry?????:no:

Severous
04-08-2007, 06:46
You need to establish where your retreating men will head for. There is one edge or corner that will go for when you press that little white flag icon.

In multiplayer, when I know I cant win (which is too often) I attempt to retreat as many men as possible rather than admit defeat.

Whacker
04-08-2007, 15:48
Key things are control and location. If you're up against an enemy with no cavalry and no arrow/artillery, you should be able to do this with 0 casualties. If they have any of the above, you should expect to take some.

The key thing is to maintain order and formation of your HAs. You also want to identify, as Severous stated, the point on the map that your units will retreat to when ordered to withdraw, it's going to be one of the 8 sides or corners of the map. As a suggestion, try to attack from a flat side, as this gives you more room to manuever with.

When you set up, set up depending on what you're up against. Say you're up against all infantry with no ranged. I'd make a relatively straight line with my HAs, and keep retreating before them as the advance. Keep autofire on and skirmish off. Maintain formation and order. Keep retreating as needed. If you're very lucky, you'll end up killing enough that you can route them all and then you don't have to worry about withdrawing. If you don't, then the best way is to keep retreating towards your extraction point, then at the last minute hit the withdraw command. Make sure your HAs are far enough away from any enemy units so that they won't get caught.

Good luck!

:balloon2:

guineawolf
04-08-2007, 18:54
How about mutiple different unit?

example: 10 legion,3 cavalry,2 archer auxilia ,i try to put them together at retreat point,then press retreat at the same time.....

but i see that you are saying that it is cause by what unit that enemy have,is it??~:confused: or by the unit we have,or both?

Whacker
04-09-2007, 00:47
Well in that case the answer is it depends on what you want to accomplish. It should be possible to still fight a retreat and withdraw without any losses, but it's going to be close (esp. if they have light cav) and you will not cause much damage at all. However, if you are willing to take a few losses it should be possible, depending on the opposing setup and your numbers, to fight and win with minimal losses.

Certain units are going to be the bane of your existence. I'm just going to start typing my thoughts, so read on at your leisure.

- If you're up against archer chariots, I wouldn't bother fighting because they are just as fast as you are, can shoot like you can, and will mulch your horses if they catch you. If you're up against heavy/non-ranged chariots, it's possible to win but really tricky because they are fast, basically super horse mulching versions of light cav. When going up against chariots I firmly recommend you only fight them in city streets with massed heavy infantry, it negates the chariot's advantages, and huge blobs of heavy infantry will usually mulch chariots pretty quickly in the thin streets.

- As for elephants, depends on what kind again. The non-arrow shooting elephants shouldn't be too hard, the goal is to route them, or even better drive them mad and then hope they plow back into their own infantry lines. Be careful about this because if they catch you, you are toast. Also keep everything you have away from amok elephants, period.

- Light cav is going to be realistically your biggest problem. They're fast enough to catch you and strong enough to beat you if the catch you. Best thing is to not engage stacks with too many light cav, and if you are forced to, always make use of terrain to your advantage. Fortunately most all light cav is very vulnerable to missile fire, so if you concentrate as much fire as you can early on to these guys, you should be able to kill enough of them that they route before they even get to you, or will cause minimal damage to your lines before they route or you kill them all.

- Missile cav. Depends on what you're up against. You've got your basic HA, your Camel archers, and your javelin types. Against normal HAs, you should expect to take some losses. Depending on what units you have vs. them, you could come out better or worse for wear. If you had say for example a unit of Cataphract Horse Archers vs. some normal light unarmored Horse Archers, I'd recommend trying to pin the other HAs into a corner with your cataphracts and engage in melee, because your armored cataphracts are going to be much strong and are slower on the run. Normal HA vs normal HA, sheer weight of fire and quality of units will win the day. Always remember to try and shoot at whatever you're aiming at's rear. Camel archers are troublesome because they fighten your horses when too close. Thankfully they are slow, so again weight of fire is going to be key, just don't get too close until they are ready to or are routing.

- Foot missile infantry. Now here's a pain. 9 times out of 10 these guys can outrange your HA, so be prepared to take losses unless you can catch them running. I've found that most often the best thing you can do with these guys is to charge a few of your HA's into their rear and flanks, then hope for a quick route. Be prepared to take some decent casualties if you go up against stuff like chosen archer warbands or pharoah's bowmen. Javelin skirmisher shouldn't be a problem because you can easily outrange them and are much faster.

- Heavy cav. Be careful and you can take them on. Heavy cav should never be able to catch you, unless you are up against a fresh unit and your guys are exhausted. Keep your distance and use a unit or two to "kite" them, and another few units to keep the fire on. Even generals will fall in good order with good management and concentrated fire. The only thing I would offer, and this will come with experience, is once you kill a general in a generel's cav unit, do NOT pursue the other ones when they route. You've killed the named char, hence that unit will never come back, so best not to waste time, arrows, and possibly your guys trying to take them all out. The thing to watch out for is to ensure when they route, they're going to stay routing. I've had more than a few instances where I've killed the general and his remaining unit rallied and made my life hell.

- Normal infantry. Your lunch. These guys should be cake to beat. Just remember to keep your distance and try to shoot into their rear or unshielded side for best effect. Do NOT try to shoot into the front of a phalanx as it will be

- Artillery. Stay out of range. Thankfully the AI usually isn't smart with stuff like ballistas and the subvariants. Concentrated fire is your key if they're going to be a problem, arty crews are very vulnerable to missiles. If you're sneaky, you can often get a unit or two of HA behind the other stack's lines to cause some hell with their onagers if they have any. Usually a few barrages and then follow up with a good charge to the rear of the unit will result in a quick rout.

Combine all these and you should be able to come up with a winning recipe. Fight some custom battles to help you get a better feel. Start off with say 10 HAs of your against say 5 random non-ranged infantry units on the grassy plains with clear weather to start. Repeat until you start to get a good feel for what you are doing. Then, try something just a little bit different. Add a single unit of light cav to the infantry setup you already did and see how that changes things. Just keep doing this and you'll eventually figure out what works best for you.

Lastly, I almost forgot. Our resident Horse Archer nut and overall brilliant guy Doug-Thompson wrote an HA guide here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73479 . The unit stats and whatnaught are obviously for M2TW, but the tactics and other information apply perfectly to RTW.

Best of luck!

guineawolf
04-09-2007, 05:15
what i really need to know is how to withraw from a battlefield without any losses,coz what i concernedis if my unit fought and dead at the battlefield,it is ok.If they are loss when they withraw from battlefield then that mean they loss for nothing,and meaningless(not worth it,if my kingdom still weak,that will be more worse).

But,the information you provide is very useful too(i got some tactic that read from history book,about how the Mongolian Cavalry archer take out an army that are always outnumbered them,they always take out those units that threatening them the most,mobile and range units) :book:

many thanks !:yes:

Whacker
04-09-2007, 14:07
Ahhhh, I think I understand your question now.

There's two things (that I know of) that govern if your army gets annihilated if you withdraw or lose.

1. When you fight a battle or are attacked, look at the matchup screen. You'll see your character's portraits (or flag, if it's a captain) and the other enemy's portrait on the other side. Look at the bottom right of these portraits for a little red skull/sword icon. If you see that, it means that the army will vanish if they lose or withdraw. If you want to see this in action, go and take your army and siege a city, then go to assault it. When the matchup screen comes up, look at the city's defenders, you'll definitely see the little red skull.

2. If you lose or withdraw from a fight, and have suffered extreme losses, you're army will route and disappear after the battle. I don't remember what the threshhold is, but I think it's like 90% losses or so. For example, if you fight a stack of 1000 men total, and kill at least 900, the others that route/get away *should* disappear after the end of the battle and not survive, in other words that stack is now completely gone.

These rules apply to both you and the AI factions. Hope this helps!