PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new to the forums/Rome:Total War and have a ?

TheFatKidDeath
04-10-2007, 15:17
Hi all. TFKD reporting in. I just bought R:TW yesterday and I'm looking forward to the game. I'm a casual Strategy game player and I've heard great things about R:TW. I actually popped in the demo from a CD that I had from a back issue of PC Gamer and I was immediately impressed. Battles are epic!

I've started the turtorial but all is going smoothly but I cannot seem to save the game. Can you only save in certain sections?

Also, should I patch the game? Are there two patches?

neoiq5719
04-10-2007, 15:43
Hi all. TFKD reporting in. I just bought R:TW yesterday and I'm looking forward to the game. I'm a casual Strategy game player and I've heard great things about R:TW. I actually popped in the demo from a CD that I had from a back issue of PC Gamer and I was immediately impressed. Battles are epic!

I've started the turtorial but all is going smoothly but I cannot seem to save the game. Can you only save in certain sections?

Also, should I patch the game? Are there two patches?
I dont know if u can save games on a demo version. There are patches 1.3 and 1.5 for RTW and 1.6 for barbarian invasion and Alexander to go much further. If u like this games then M2TW is gonna drive u nuts.
Enjoy cos i know u will

Poulp'
04-10-2007, 15:49
Hi
welcome here and make yourself at home

in the tutorial, you can't save until you've taken your second city (what's its name again?)

now, about patching, which version do you have ?
you can see it in the video options, in the upper right cormer of the screen (it goes for 1.0 to 1.5)

1.5 is the latest patch (1.6 for the Barbarian Invasion extention)

if you want to continue playing vanilla (unmodded game), have a try at VBM 4.0
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79547&highlight=vanilla+balance+mod

or if your CPU is up for the challenge (your strategic skill too) try EB, there is some sort of EB hideout in the forum, right here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70

feel free to ask whatever question you want

Ludens
04-10-2007, 15:51
Hello, TFKD, welcome to the Org ~:wave: .

IIRC the tutorial only allows you to save after you've conquered the Samnite town south and east of Rome.

TheFatKidDeath
04-10-2007, 17:53
Hi
welcome here and make yourself at home

in the tutorial, you can't save until you've taken your second city (what's its name again?)

now, about patching, which version do you have ?
you can see it in the video options, in the upper right cormer of the screen (it goes for 1.0 to 1.5)

1.5 is the latest patch (1.6 for the Barbarian Invasion extention)

if you want to continue playing vanilla (unmodded game), have a try at VBM 4.0
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79547&highlight=vanilla+balance+mod

or if your CPU is up for the challenge (your strategic skill too) try EB, there is some sort of EB hideout in the forum, right here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70

feel free to ask whatever question you want

Thanks all! I could not understand why I could not save.

I have not patched the game yet. I'm assuming start with the first patch - which is 1.0?

Poulp'
04-10-2007, 18:18
just have a look in the option's main menu (it should be something like "ver1.5")
for instance, if you bought RTW gold edition, you're already to 1.5

if you don't have the latest patch, you can find a link to them in this forum.

then, surely you will want to unlock all the factions, there's a topic about it in "RTW modifications, scriptorium... how to's... unlock all factions"

Edit:

REAL IMPORTANT !
if you start modding, ALWAYS make a backup

YENKO
04-12-2007, 00:02
/tedious speaker trait on/
I too am only on my second long campaign. And still playing the unpatched vanilla version. In a couple days im getting my long awaited new gaming machine (Intel C2D 6600 with 8800 GT gfx card etc, cant wait), so was thinking patching is pointless at this err..point.
What i did, was to play the demo, then install the full game, play the tutorial, and embark on Julii campaign. Julii was really a no-brainer to me, those unwashed Gauls, Britons and Germans were just cannon fodder for my Roman Legions, even before the Reforms. I wouldn't hang up for too long with the tutorial. Just start the Julii campaign and learn things as you progress. Make a separate save here or there if you mess things too much and need to fall back to some solid position. For all the other possible questions or/and advices, you have the org, right?:2thumbsup:
just some points:
1.Upgrade the Governor building as soon at it is possible
2.Archers are evil people, they love to shoot their own buddies in the back
3. There is no 3.
4. Marry well all your daughters :laugh4:
/tedious speaker trait off/
Have fun!!

Y.

Cody900
04-12-2007, 12:53
Welcome to the addictive and time consuming world of R:TW TFKD.

The tutorial is rather dull, it only really helps up to the first battle. After you play that there isn't too much need to carry on playing it, everything is pretty much straight forward, just right-click stuff to find out the values and what it does.

I recommend you patch the game BEFORE starting a campaign. If you start a game now, then patch, your save game will be worthless and it won't load on a patched version.

Head over to http://www.totalwar.com/en/support/supportrome.html and download the 1.3, and then the 1.5 patches. You don't need 1.2 or 1.6.

Poulp, that vanilla mod looks nice, however it will give me compatibility issues when online so I'll have to give it a miss, I dont really want to copy the game just for that.

Poulp'
04-12-2007, 13:03
Poulp, that vanilla mod looks nice, however it will give me compatibility issues when online so I'll have to give it a miss, I dont really want to copy the game just for that.

yup, if online playing is an issue, there's nothing VBM can do about it.

I have two copies of RTW, one for playing, the other one for testing out everything I'm modding; works fine for me...

Cody900
04-12-2007, 16:51
Yeah I know. But having 2 lots of 2.4GB, having one to be used ONLY for going online, seems kinda stupid.....

bedlam28
04-12-2007, 17:03
Hi Cody,

I think that its all a matter of perspective.

with a 160Gb hard-drive, an extra 3Gb isn't gonna cause much issue is it :2thumbsup:

and having different copies of the game are very useful, one as vanilla, and one for modding is a popular choice.

Have fun Conquering

Cody900
04-12-2007, 17:42
Indeed it is matter of perspective. My HDD is 230GB, but I like my space. ^_^

Your computer slows down the more space you use, though. And being the big gamer than I am, I want my computer as fast as possible for better FPS and gameplay overall. AlLso I only have one fan and my computer is right next to my legs and against my desk, so it's pretty confined and gets hot quite easily, as it's on like 10 hours a day every day.

I'm thinking of buying an external 750GB hard-drive and using that to store pretty much everything.