PDA

View Full Version : BI faction appearance dates

Third spearman from the left
04-11-2007, 13:07
Quick question on BI, when new factions appear in the game are they set to do so at a certain date or can this vary in each game?

I'm playing my first BI campaign and the slavs appeared in 410 AD. I was wondering if they are set on random dates or tied into historical dates for each faction.

professorspatula
04-11-2007, 14:00
The Slavs appear at a specific set date. The Romano-British appear whenever the West Roman Empire are kicked out of their British regions. The Ostro-Goths appear when a Gothic settlement rebels - or something along those lines. Hence you may not actually see them during your campaign. I think that's about it for emerging factions. If someone wants to correct me feel free.

In other news, that was my 1000th post. Hurrah!

LuckyDog Trojan
04-11-2007, 19:22
The Slavs appear at a specific set date. The Romano-British appear whenever the West Roman Empire are kicked out of their British regions. The Ostro-Goths appear when a Gothic settlement rebels - or something along those lines. Hence you may not actually see them during your campaign. I think that's about it for emerging factions. If someone wants to correct me feel free.

In other news, that was my 1000th post. Hurrah!

1,000th Post... WOW! :applause: ~:cheers:

I know that there are several other posters who have hit that mark and well beyond. But still, that's quite a milestone professor !

Leonidas The Lion
04-12-2007, 13:40
The huns appear at a certain date.
check the desc_events file.

04-12-2007, 13:43
The Roman Rebel Empires appear when a W or E Roman province rebels, but if they get wiped out can they keep returning when another Roman province or general turns?

Slavs, Romano-British and Ostro-Goths that is it for emerging factions? I thought there would be more, and the fact that they might not appear seems a shame.

One last question, can factions now re-appear in a rebel province they once owned, once they have been wiped out like in MTW? I know about horde mode but I noticed that a rebel province I took, rebelled against me becoming a Samation (sp?) province.

Leonidas The Lion
04-12-2007, 14:45
Yes that is true it has also happpended to me I think only the barbarian factions can re-emerge.

professorspatula
04-12-2007, 15:36
Once a faction is dead, it's dead. There's no magic re-appearance like in MTW where you crush a faction 10 times only for it to return yet again with another gold peasant army which kill all your knights. The exception to the rule are the West and East Roman rebels which pop up whenever there's a disloyal General or one of their cities' rebels. If a faction that hordes loses it's last settlement and every one of its family members and soldiers is killed at the same time, it can still horde - it's happened to me. But that's the nearest to a re-emergent faction as you get. The example of a settlement rebelling and becoming Sarmatian owned is probably just a loyalist rebellion like what happens occasionally in RTW. There must still have been a few Sarmatians on the map for them to gain the settlement. Sometimes you can't see them, but if you look at the mini-map there will be a star giving away their position if they're in horde mode.

As to the Huns appearing at a set date, er... they start the game on the map already chap. It is possible it's left over code for the White Huns which never made it to the finished game.

Celt Centurion
04-13-2007, 00:34
Has anybody been able to play as the Romano British?

I have tried a few times, only to find myself down in Africa on the Southwest corner of the map.

I had hoped that by pushing end turn over and over, eventually WRE would have left Britain, and the RB would appear as my faction, and I could play from there. Not so. Instead, as I said, I find myself down in Africa, and my cursor does not even show up. As I move my mouse around, I can see a "lump" appear under a button for an instant, but the only cursor that appears is when I hit escape, and a list appears with options such as "return to game, quit, save, and so forth.

Any suggestions?

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-13-2007, 16:56
Hi Celt Centurion,
Yep, you can play as the Romano-British! You simply need this modification (http://www.3ddownloads.com/Strategy/Rome%20Total%20War/Mods/all.zip) and away you play! Good luck, cheers!

Celt Centurion
04-14-2007, 07:28
Hi Celt Centurion,
Yep, you can play as the Romano-British! You simply need this modification (http://www.3ddownloads.com/Strategy/Rome%20Total%20War/Mods/all.zip) and away you play! Good luck, cheers!
Thank You Omanes Alexandrapolites.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

04-16-2007, 12:15
Does this one work? There seem to be a lot of false starts out there.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-16-2007, 18:46
Hi,

Does this one work? There seem to be a lot of false starts out there.Yep, I think it does. I believe that I used the Mirror 1 link provided in the modification .Org thread to create the link which I provided. However, I have not used that version from that source, so, I unfortunately cannot be sure. My sincere apologies.

BTW, your welcome Celt Centurion!

04-23-2007, 13:09
Hi all

just a quick update on this mod, it works a treat and is very well done, however the only faction that does not appear correctly are the ostrogoths. when you select the rebels (as instructed) and then the correct region the game loads up the slavs.

I've tested all the factions but this one won't work, might be something to do with the script, any ideas?

:help:

05-01-2007, 13:26
:help:

professorspatula
05-01-2007, 17:56
I can't quite remember, but it may be the case you have to play as the Slavs until the Ostro-Goths appear, and then you can be them. Unfortunately the Ostro-Goths are not guaranteed to appear in a campaign.

You should thus use ER's Rebel Commander (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57253) mod instead, or better yet, ignore the Ostro-Goths who are just the standard Goths but with banana yellow outfits. Really you're not losing out by not being able to play as them, plus you'd need to switch between mods if you want to play as some of the other factions again.

05-02-2007, 13:21
Thanks Prof

My Banana dreams lie in tatters but alas what can you do...

I'll test out the Slavs in my next game and play through to see what happens...

Just out of interest could the two mods be combined to give access to the Ostro-goths? A sort of cut and paste of parts of the script maybe?