PDA

View Full Version : Selling Maps/Bribing Enemies

IceWolf
04-17-2007, 03:05
How much do you usually charge for map information? Also, how much does it take to bribe a general or a captain? Thanks,
Icewolf

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-17-2007, 07:23
Hi IceWolf,
I generally sell map information for more map information! Yet I always carry out, where possible, a fair exchange policy which gives each party an equal amount of the trade. If you wish to get money for you map offer, then simply offer them map information and submit the offer. They will then offer you as much gold as they see fit. Unfortunately, they may offer less than Gold sometimes. I have seen the AI offer things such as alliances, their map information, along with a demand for a sum taken from your treasury, and trade rights - often even not in exchange for the previous offer - the AI has a habit of going completely off-topic in diplomatic discussions!

As for bribing the armies of your rivals, then perhaps this old research thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44293) could help you.

Hope you find what you are looking for, good luck, cheers!

LuckyDog Trojan
04-17-2007, 20:02
IceWolf: Currently playing as Briton in a VH/H campaign, I frequently get 1200 to 2000 denarii for map information - even from my enemies, Gaul & Germania. And this is turn, after turn, after turn!!! (More often than not, it is above 1500 denarii).

In fact, I had one diplomat in this particular campaign (who is now dead) that lived to be 71 years old. I sent him romping through the factions all throughout the world making trade agreements and then selling map info - time and time again. It was like having a good gold mine income each turn. Talk about diplomat of the century. Better yet, there have even been times when my diplomat has gotten money for map info, then turned right around and bribed the same army that paid for the map and still I ended up with a profit on the whole deal.

Strangely (as Omanes mentioned), I could never get map info in return - when in some cases this is what I really wanted. (Always got the 'we have nothing to give in return' message). In those cases I would always then say; 'wanna buy a map for say... 1900 denarii?' And they have almost always replied; 'sure - we accept your magnanimous offer.' Go figure.

Admittedly, there have been times when I had to drop my asking price to 400 to 700 d (as an example) to meet the financial situation of any particular faction.

mightilyoats
04-18-2007, 07:16
Let me get this straight, you should offer map info AND demand money for this to work. I always offered maps an asked them what they would give... That never really took off for me.

IceWolf
04-18-2007, 08:57
Mitilyoats, , what I've been doing when I estaablish diplomatic contact is this. First I propose trade rights, or if they came to me I accept that. Then I start a new negotiation where I demand map info and offer it, but I also demand regular tribute.
I'm about 20 years into a Scythian campaign (these guys are fun, like Parthia with a little better infantry), and basically I've been able to sell maps to my immediate neighbors(Dacia, Thrace, Parthia(Twice), Pontus, Germany, Selucid, Carthage, for 600 dn for 4 turns, one of them, I forget which one, declined 600 dn for 4 turns but offered a one time payment of 6850 instead :yes: but if I go further west, they ain't buying. Romans. Gauls, Brits, Egyptians, they tell me to go whiz up a rope or ask me to give them $ for their maps. I still haven't had the $ to attempt to bribe an enemy army with the tight Scythian economy.

IceWolf

LuckyDog Trojan
04-20-2007, 19:04
Let me get this straight, you should offer map info AND demand money for this to work. I always offered maps an asked them what they would give... That never really took off for me.

Mightilyoats: Yes! Offer map info AND demand 'single payment' (whatever value you select) all in the same negotiating turn. You'll be amazed at the amount of denarii that will be rolling into your coffers each turn.

Plus, as stated by IceWolf, the 'regular tribute' method also works as a substitute for 'single payment'.

If the faction you're dealing with doesn't like your offer, they'll tell you so, and sometimes make a counter-offer that is favorable or not so favorable to you. You of course can accept, tell them to 'buzz off' or throw down a counter-counter offer.

Just watch out for Armenian diplomats. They're still torqued off about getting ripped off big time in a negotiating deal!! :barrel: (See Barbarosa's Armenian AAR - it's a riot!)