PDA

View Full Version : Formations & Army Colours

Afith
04-19-2007, 15:45
Hello, I'm Afith a pretty new player to total war. I bought m2:tw just after it came out but didnt like it that much (for instance couldnt find any way to get charge working..) and when I the other day found rome:tw in the shops I bought it. I've been playing as the Julii's only until now, but wanted to try Brutii as their temples and stuff seems cooler.

The problem is, the green color is so ugly imo, is it possible to change that to red, or to un-dyed clothes? And without installing major mods.

The other thing:

Is it possible to change that when you target more than one unit in battle and you hold rightclick to set them in a formation to make them stand right next to each other, without the little hole inbetween?

/Afith

Poulp'
04-19-2007, 16:29
welcome to the org
we'll help you

for your formation problem, you should dl "sinuhet formation" mod or "darthmod"
you can find them in rome mods downloads
IIRC, there a file called generic standalone darth formation something
you only have to replace those two files in your rome data folder.

I don't know about changing colours but you can make all romans temples available to roman factions
answers here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83275
and there
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=111

:book:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-19-2007, 16:34
Hi and welcome Afith,
Good news! The colour issue is changeable. Sadly, it require some complex modding which is really beyond my simple knowledge. Although, never fear, the modding people may be able to help you out. If you want more information then simply ask here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=73) and I'm sure somebody could help you. Good luck, cheers!

professorspatula
04-19-2007, 17:13
I suppose a simple, but slightly time consuming endeavour that will solve your colour related issue is this:

Make a backup of your descr_model_battle.txt file located in your RTW data folder: (eg, c:\games\rome total war\data)

Now open that file with a text editor such as Notepad. Now simply find every line that mentions romans_brutii (use the find tool) and change the texture files referenced so instead of being Brutii ones, you use the Julii ones.

Example:

Mirmillo Gladiator Entry before editing (senate, Scipii and rebel entries removed for this example).

type roman_mirmillo_gladiator
skeleton fs_spearman
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_julii.tga
texture romans_brutii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_brutii.tga
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_400.cas, 8
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_300.cas, 15
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_200.cas, 30
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_100.cas, 40
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_70.cas, max
model_sprite romans_brutii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_brutii_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_sprite.spr
model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

Now change the _brutii parts so they say _julii (I've put them in bold type)

type roman_mirmillo_gladiator
skeleton fs_spearman
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_julii.tga
texture romans_brutii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_julii.tga
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_400.cas, 8
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_300.cas, 15
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_200.cas, 30
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_100.cas, 40
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_70.cas, max
model_sprite romans_brutii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_sprite.spr
model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_mirmillo_gladiator_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

You'll have to do it for every single Roman unit. It'll take a while, but afterwards all your soldiers will be dressed in red. Obviously if you fight the Julii, it'll be harder to see who is who.

The other thing you ask is quite simple to change. You need to edit the descr_formations.txt file. Back it up first. It's in the same location as the other file you've edited. I think the part you need to change is the: inter_unit_spacing 2.0 bits. If you change these to say 1.0, the gap should be much smaller. You might want to play around with the numbers. It's about 2 years since I last edited that file so I'm not 100% sure that's exactly what is required.

[Edit] Actually you may just require editing the last part of that file, under where it says: ; Formation used when multiply selected units get moved
Editing the 4 inter_unit_spacing files from 1.0 to 0.5 should reduce the spacing between units a fair bit. Editing the other inter_unit_spacing entries I mentioned earlier really only applies when you use one of the preset unit group formations. Still you can edit them anyway. Won't hurt to try different combinations out, and you have a backup if you make a mess of everything. [/End of Edit]

Afith
04-20-2007, 06:12
I went with Julii and just enabled the temple I wanted and downloaded Sinuhet formations and its working good :)

Thanks for the help!

/Afith