PDA

View Full Version : Leaders!!!

Funkybax
12-12-2001, 16:03
What's the use of Leaders in the game?
It's clear to me they must be largely expanded from STW.
What do you think about it?
Bye.
Funkybax

Vanya
12-12-2001, 22:07
An army without a leader is like a chicken without a head.

oZoNeLaYeR
12-12-2001, 22:42
hmm imagine that u have troops in battlefield but ur not there (ur their leader) what do you reckon going to happen?

Sir Kuma of The Org
12-13-2001, 05:06
I think that leaders will still be the "daimyo" and "taisho" types as in STW, but your right Funkybax, i think that Medieval Total War will expand on this ("RPG-style Characters").

Each nation will have royalty (daimyo), generals (taisho) and governors (new to the game) who will lead armies or provinces AND WILL GAIN OVER TIME A SERIES OF "vices and virtues" that will have an impact on the way they lead on the battlefield or govern their lands.

They also talk about special "historical figures" that will appear in the game (Joan of arc, Richard lion heart, Robin hood, Kublai Khan etc...) But i don't know if they will be "playable" characters, part of an historical campaign story line or implemented in an another way

BakaGaijin
12-13-2001, 14:49
It would be interesting if these "leaders" were Kensai-type units. Imagine a Kensai-skilled unit armed with a bow. Robin Hood! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Disappear into the Darkness!!

Funkybax
12-13-2001, 18:00
I think Leaders can have more influence in the strategic part of the game. Maybe with civil or succession wars or special economic or scientific abilities or some special question to resolve. Four centuries are very long.

Another possible question is:
Four hundred years of war in STW style or some peace time also, with economic building in Europa Universalis style?
Not only war for a country in four centuries.
So, the leaders can have many more interests.

Bye.
Funkybax

theforce
12-13-2001, 19:24
As for the Byzantine Empire the emperor when the city was fell to the hands of the Turks was Costantinos Paleologos and some of the most importand figures should be Ioustinianos o B . There are other importand names that can can't remember now.

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html

Sir Kuma of The Org
12-14-2001, 06:31
But what do you guys think about generals and Royals developping vices and vertues over time that will affect their ability to govern or command on the battlefield? Does it seem a bit out of place for this type of game?

Against it or for it? Why?

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good

Klen Sakurai
12-14-2001, 15:22
I'm all for it I'm just wondering how they're going to implement it. I hope it's not one of those things they end up pulling from the feature list like Father Visitor. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
All quotes are terrrible!

Hirosito
12-14-2001, 19:03
don't think they will they put quite alot of emphasis on the 'RPG' side of things. from their examples some governers will be more likely to revolt if they are more brutal but also stonger in battle and stuff like that.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Obake
12-14-2001, 22:48
Perhaps there will be a pool of "Leaders" from which we will be able to choose who will govern for each province. The remainder will become generals.

Maybe even one of those who were passed over will choose to revolt and sieze control of the province because of the slight.

Anything along those lines would certainly add more depth to the game. I would also imagine that provincial loayalty will in some measure be modified based on who the "governor" is.

It will also be interesting to see how spies are handled in the game. Will the MTW version of Shinobi be able to incite revolts easier than in STW? What about Ambassadors, will they be able to bribe generals to switch sides, or better yet, have them bribe generals to switch sides during a tactical battle! How much fun would THAT be!

The concern I see with this is that there is only one commander on the battlefield regardless of the number individual army "stacks" prior to it. If there were some way to tag units with who their army "stack" commander was before going into the field..... Otherwise we could only bribe allied generals in a 3-way battle.

If this could work though, imagine invading a province at a 1:2 troop ratio and then during the middle of the battle, one of your enemies comes over to your side along with all the units that were initially under his command and turns the tables giving YOU a 2:1 advantage. Now imagine that you bribe the leader of that "stack" and he DOESN'T switch, costing you the battle and the province.

How mad would you be after spending a 1000 gold (or whatever) bribing this general to switch so you can take the province, and then he doesn't and you lose the battle. Think you'd want to kill him? I'm guessing YES! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this though as I think that it would require a substantial amount of additional coding.

I think it's far more likely that we will be able to bribe "allied" generals to switch during battle. The coding for this should be significantly easier to implement. I truly hope that CA would be able to implement something along these lines for MTW. I know that they gave the capability to turn on allies in STW, but it never really gets used in the campaign and anyone doing it online immediately becomes a pariah (unless FFA was the original intent). To be able to bribe ally's of your enemy to switch sides during battle would make things much more interesting.

Besides, you'll never know if the enemy bribed YOUR ally!

------------------
Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-12-2002, 06:34
Well here are some answers from the ign preview "Finally, one of the last and most interesting enhancements comes in the form of an RPGish element that has to do with your king. Your king has a set of attributes in the game...These attributes are gained through your own decisions throughout the game. So if you go into battle and massacre everyone on the field showing no mercy, your dread rating will actually go up and your people will be loyal out of fear. If you build churches and are generally a nice guys that shows mercy, your piety rating will go up and you'll be loved all around."

There is even more about this part of the game go and read the article

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good

ShadesWolf
01-12-2002, 21:41
I like the idea. It has a smell of historic accuracy

Take for example Richard the Lionheart. English legend has him as a Brilliant, Heroic English King.

He went to the Crusades and fought against the Muslims. Back in england the legend of Robin hood grew up to fight Richard evil brother John.

So while the cats away the mouse will play. the leader leaves for a distant far off land and rebelion starts, people are less happy etc.....