PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE: let us choose weather

MagyarKhans Cham
12-31-2001, 00:09
let us choose weather and add a random weather button.

it is a small thing but will be used much more than those different gametypes like kill halve army and king of the hill

your reaction plz

Erado San
12-31-2001, 01:22
You mean the attacker gets to choose the weathertype? Wouldn't that bring to much of a bonus? Or do you suggest the host decides the weather? That only gives him more possibilities to dictate the battle.

No, I liked your previous advices better.

BSM_Skkzarg
12-31-2001, 02:16
Heck - do it right - let multiplayer games be like current SP battles. You have a type of weather available on one day - you can choose to attack or not. If you choose not to - the Defender can choose to battle using that weather pattern.

Skkz

Shoko
12-31-2001, 08:13
Random Weather sounds good to me! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Clan Kenchikuka (http://pub14.ezboard.com/fclankenchikukakenchikukacouncilchamber)

Anssi Hakkinen
12-31-2001, 09:14
STW's weather algorithms are too dynamic to be chosen from a pull-down menu. You'd need options like "cloudy, turns into increasingly heavy rain 2 minutes 30 seconds into battle".

Indeed, the unpredictability is the reason I like 'em.

clink
12-31-2001, 13:08
Controlling the weather would take away the realism or surprize of the game. In custom games maybe,but not online or SP campaigns.

------------------
TeuTonic

Rath
12-31-2001, 13:33
It would be a nice touch, but still the unpredictability makes choosing an army to cope in all weather more of a challenge, and therefore more fun.

Maybe in custom when u want to test things it would be most handy.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
12-31-2001, 21:05
the random wether idea is good. If either of the sides picked weather then they may get an advantage. Random weather (agreeing with Rath) makes it a lot harder to choose a cost effective and weather coping army.

PSYCHO
01-01-2002, 11:07
Hmmm..definitely NOT for chosing weather. IMHO, best stick to Black & White if this is the kinda game you want.

Cheers

------------------
PSYCHO HOJO / PSYCHO SO

LordTed
01-01-2002, 16:36
Keep weather the same for now, Thes system is effective and you could probably squeeze some more types in.

evilc
01-01-2002, 20:21
i agree, the system is fine, its unpredictable and is also quite dynamic. How many more types of weather are there?

LordTed
01-01-2002, 20:30
You could have a flood or something, or very strong winds...........

evilc
01-01-2002, 22:26
in a flood situation, i doubt many generals would have fought.

Men in armour + water = Men who get so wet they cant move or even drown.

In strong winds they might all fall over, lol only kidding.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-01-2002, 22:51
The flood idea would work. Men cant go through water in STW so it becomes a hazard. Yet each map woud have to be made moe than once to cope with floods and so on.So floods are a bad idea because it would cut off parts of the map which makes it less enjoyble(sometimes) yet more realistic game play.

The one enhancement of weather i would like to see, is in high winds make the trees blow. I've never seen it happen. Little things ike that improve the whole game i think.

evilc
01-01-2002, 22:56
having too many impassable areas would call for a SERIOUS AI improvement. currently then men get stuck walking around houses let alone when the try to cross bridges.

Vanya
01-02-2002, 22:03
GAH! Put the sun in the sky, for crying out loud! Then add a solar eclipse once in a while! What a hoot! A raging battle... then, the sun turns black! WOOHOO! The samurai are confused! The Ashigaru panic for they think Buddha has come for them! Pandemonium reigns! Its a brave new world! Can your venerable taisho still control his men and win the battle?

Me thinks it would be fun...

And add the occasional river flooding its banks during heavy rain... it can sweep away the saps unfortunate enough to be on the river's banks...

ANd ice! So in winter, ice bridges can allow men to walk on thin ice to cross the river (no pun intended). http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif

evilc
01-02-2002, 22:12
cool

Kraellin
01-03-2002, 02:47
vanya,

the only game i've ever seen flooding done, while the game was ongoing, was railroad tycoon II. it was quite a trick, at times, keeping your trains moving as track was wiped out or whole cities. and yes, it could work in this game, but like others have pointed out, it would cause some difficulties because of the current impassable routines. still, i like the idea.

ice, on the other hand, would be very workable and i'd love to see it. it would also add some options to the multiplayer setup because then someone would get to pick the season besides the host. seems to me it would become the attacker's option as to which season he decided to attack a given province. if that province also included water then certainly iced rivers and ponds would change the nature of that entire map. so, those picking a river map as host might end up having things backfire on them as the attacker chose winter and just walked across the ice en force. i like it; some of those river maps might actually get played on for a change ;)

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

BakaGaijin
01-03-2002, 06:08
Ice would rock! Obviously, units on ice would have to move much slower than on snow, to prevent slipping in their armour and crippling themselves. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

And I'm also with Vanya. Seeing the sun would be TOO COOL. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

Krasturak
01-03-2002, 06:39
Hmmmmmmm ... the sun ...

Isn't the sun more important than Shoggy seems to think?

Archers can't shoot straight if they have to look into the sun ...

The time of day and the weather are really a combination thing.

Early in day, sun low, cool or cold ... late in day sun high, warmer .... cloudy day, rainy day, windy day ... early in day, middle of day, late in day ...

And best of all, the night-time!

The time for coffin-creepers and stalkers ... the time for surprise attacks and trickery!

Gah!

BSM_Skkzarg
01-03-2002, 09:41
Now see - now your getting to some really useful ideas. First - sun would burn off fog - so even a heavy fog would lessen over time. Second - night battles. Unfortunately -I think the lighting issues for nightime battles are to difficult to surmount at this time, but maybe I will be proven wrong.
Qapla!

------------------
BSM_Skkzarg
"A mind is a terrible thing to taste."

theforce
01-03-2002, 18:50
I would like to see a better weather system in Shogun. I hate that guns now fire in all conditions. Well in old days in was raining you attacked and just before you got there the rain stopped and he could fire again!!!
That was making the game better. I hope they make a minor patch that makes the rain-musket thing again as it was.

------------------
Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html

Kraellin
01-03-2002, 21:05
i like the fog and sun ideas. night battles would be difficult to implement, but i could see the occaisional moonlit night battle. might be fun. bn's would take on extraordinary abilities in a night battle....hmmm, interesting idea, changing attributes due to weather, time of day and so on....nice.

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

ELITEofGAZOZ
01-17-2002, 05:52
Yep I love the idea of moonlight battles that would be great.

J/K:
How about random occasions on the battlefield like half of your army being strucked by flashlightning? Or adding marsh to the terrain ground, where your heavy units sink? Or a tree falls down on the head of your general during heavy storm? In addition to the weather occasions it would be funny if wolves or bears would hide in the forrests and eat your soldiers.

ELITEofGAZOZ
01-17-2002, 05:55
Btw: Some of you missunderstood Magy´s suggestion.

He says keep it as it is, but add a box in games´setup, which you can check if you want weather at random and don´t want that it is chosen by the attacker. This is a good option for online tourneys and I second his idea.