PDA

View Full Version : Variations in armour

Krasturak
01-16-2002, 02:48
Gah!

Why do all the guys with the same weaponry have the same armour?

Surely a soldier armed with a spear might wear a wdie range of armour from none to a great deal.

Krast would like to see the armour factor float more, without respect to the weapon type of the unit.

Penalties for heavy armour can still be assigned, such as slower movement, as required.

Vanya
01-16-2002, 03:18
GAH! Armor should be 'plain', 'engraved', or 'ornate'. Heck, would you want your armor to say 'Evil' on the back and 'Good' on the front?

Heck, some could even have 'nipples' engraved on their armor... or muscles hammered into the relief... or the gentle flows of a toga etched in... along with cherubs, flowers, swords, and legends...

GAH!

Nelson
01-16-2002, 03:43
Weapons were not standardized either. Only the lower class troops could be told what to wear and fight with. As in Japan where the samurai were not regulated but ashigaru were, the aristocrats bought whatever equipment they liked. So a given group of men at arms could sport all sorts of swords, hammers, axes, mail and plate. I doubt Henry V ever went out and said "OK now, mace people over here, axe wielders there, and you polearms stay put. And you really big two handed sword guys, take off your plate. That much offense needs to be balanced.".

Sir Kuma of The Org
01-16-2002, 05:03
I agree Nelson but the guys wielding the two handed swords would not be able to use shields, thus a defensive penalty.

Nelson
01-16-2002, 06:05
Too right. Men with shields should get a defensive bonus or those without a penalty if shield bearing is considered the baseline.

Flame of Udun
01-19-2002, 06:16
For M:TW i would like to see more kinds of mail (chan mail, plate mail...)

WarlordJacquesMolay
01-19-2002, 20:02
There were no plate armors untill the second half of the 15th century,'transitional' armors were used in the 14th century and chain mail was used in the 11th-12th centuries, ofthen the knights used additional protection for the legs made of hardened leather.

'Deus Lo Vult'

Flame of Udun
01-20-2002, 11:23
Then there would be no problem implementing chain mail...

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
01-20-2002, 20:08
I do like the idea of chainmail being put in instead of everyone just having the same armour!

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Flame of Udun
01-21-2002, 05:07
Chain Mail would sound great too... clink clin clink http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

Erado San
01-21-2002, 19:21
It's true that in one unit there were many different armour types. And in the game this would mean you'd average out the types of armour to define the armour value in the stats.

But to display different armour types in one unit would lead to technical difficulties, as the game would have to assign different graphics to the troopers in the unit. I fear that that would mean a severe burden on the graphics adapter. Lower end video cards would not be able to handle the amount of graphical data.

Same would happen with different types of armour for identical units.

The only possibility could be to assign different looking armour to similar units in different factions. For the units in defferent factions I assume they will use different graphics to start with so chain mail on an english halbardier unit could look different from that on a french pikemen unit.

solypsist
01-21-2002, 23:14
you couldeasily get the "different armor" effect by using small discolorations on the sprites.