PDA

View Full Version : Spawned generals

Fate
04-27-2007, 18:21
Okay, so ive been playing BI, as the Moors, and having settled into an alliance with the WRE, ive been taking on former allies the WRE Rebels. Their only settlement in Africa is Lepcis Magna, which had a mediocre garrison, which i besieged with a moderate force (more than enough to take out what they had to offer), and they had a small relief force coming from the east, 2 peasents and a family member. My spy had seen the relief force prior to them reaching Lepcis, and my assassin was successfully able to kill the family member.
Next turn however, the relief force had reached Lepcis, as i had planned (bringing the battle onto an open field), but they had another general!! They couldnt have gotten another family member from anywhere else, as it was the middle of the desert and my spy and assassin wouldve seen him appear, so it seems he simply appeared out of thin air!!

How could this happen??

There werent even any WRE forces nearby to turn and join the Rebels, and there were no other forces in the vicinity that coulda been bribed! So where did they come from?!

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-27-2007, 18:55
Hi Fate,
It seems to me, as if the general that spawned, may have been the son of the general in question. I'm not too sure on this one, but I think, when a general is in a settlement, in R:TW 1.5, his sons appear in the settlement with him. Although, I think, when out on the feild, his sons appear in the capital. Sadly however, I'm not really a BI sort of person, only completing one campaign with it as the ERE, but perhaps they could have changed this mechanic in Barbarian Invasion to the one that you have seen. Sorry I can't help you perfectly, cheers!

Fate
04-27-2007, 19:30
Well the WRE Rebel capital was in Dalmatia, so i cant see why the general would spawn with a random force of peasents in the North African desert. It could insinuate that some roman force joined them by chance, but what are the chances of that :help:

Celt Centurion
04-27-2007, 20:38
I've noticed sometimes, when you assassinate a family member, they have what appears to be a "candidate for adoption" who winds up standing in the same army that you just assassinated the member of on the previous turn.

There have been times that I've assassinated a family member in the same stack 5 times or more. It would seem that the only way to get rid of them would be to assassinate family member, and immediately hit the army and destroy it. No army, no candidate for adoption.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Fate
04-28-2007, 12:29
Celt Centurion, is this in the case of all factions, or just the empire rebels, and consequently, is it BI or RTW?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-28-2007, 14:34
Hmm, I would say that it would be BI exclusive. I have never seen it occur in R:TW 1.5.

Fate
04-28-2007, 17:14
Thats what i thought, i havent played much BI in comparison to to RTW, so i wouldnt be in the know, but yeh, ive never seen it on any of the campaigns ive played before, and ive completed on short:
Saxons
Celts
Sassanids
As well as having played
ERE
Huns
Sarmatians
Lombardii

Only ever seen it occur in this particular campaign, wierd eh?

Severous
04-29-2007, 11:31
Hi

Ive seen the AI give itself generals on a regular basis. Both BI and RTW.

Wipe out most but not all enemy generals and you see new ones popping up.

Ive always assumed its just like you yourself get Man of the Hours and adoptions to correct shortages of generals. So does the AI.

Celt Centurion
04-29-2007, 15:14
Celt Centurion, is this in the case of all factions, or just the empire rebels, and consequently, is it BI or RTW?

I know that it takes place in RTW. I kept assassinating SPQR Generals and they would have another crop up immediately over the end turn cycle.

I also did the same with a lot of Greek as well as Thracian Generals with the same result.

Don't see why it would not happen in BI and the XGM as well.

Maybe it's something that happens if the family is in danger of dying out as it happens right after an assassination, and occasionally after a battle. They need a replacement family member and thus it happens. I don't see it happen often with what we would call a strong faction with lots of cities and family members.

It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen, and given opportunity, it probably is not limited to, nor barred from any faction.

As an experiment, you may want to find a nearby "weak" faction, and assassinate their family members, and see what appears.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Fate
04-30-2007, 03:24
Thanks for the feedback guys.

To be honest, id never noticed it happen before, but then i rarely use assassins, so I rarely notice these things.

Also, it couldnt have been a man of the hour candidate, as there was no battle, so the AI must have simply spawned him, because the WRE Rebels were on their last legs!

thanks again guys!

Celt Centurion
12-24-2009, 10:53
A new thing with those generals being spawned.

I'm playing as Scipii and kept getting senate missions to assassinate Numidian Family members. I would assassinate one and there would still be a small army of a few units. Nearly every end turn cycle, another family member showed up in the stack and I'd get a mission to take that one out too. In time, I had one really good assassin and a half dozen "apprentice" assassins all around which had been sabotaging Numidian buildings.

The highly skilled assassin was three moves away but had a 75% chance of success. Unfortunately, my patience was too thin to wait for him so I sent the closer assassins. By the time the good one was in striking range, his probability was down to about 25% and he missed. I tried again over several turns with no success. I was running out of time.

Then I saw that I had a diplomat close by. I bribed the guy and put him onto a fleet near Cirta. No cancellation of mission yet. I also had a plague carrier spy which I had used to infect and knock down the Cirta population. I put him on the fleet too.

Next turn "death stalks the land" included death on the sea as well.

Two turns later, my assassin target died at sea probably puking his guts out.

Never got the cancel mission nor senate mission success tile but I did get rid of the old boy.

Strength and Honor,

Celt Centurion