PDA

View Full Version : My garrison abandoned me?

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-29-2007, 08:06
I'm playing an awesome campaign as Qarthadast, and the city on Corsica was besieged by the Romani. They waited 2 turns, then just...walked in. The two units garrisoning the town just kind of dissappeared, I would say.

What happened there? Why and how would my garrison just cease to exist?

I hope they like that little island, because it cost them a complete raping of Roma and Capua...

The Celtic Viking
04-29-2007, 08:32
If that town could only hold out for two turns, and they don't assault and you don't sally, you lose your city without a fight. Just like the AI does.

pezhetairoi
04-29-2007, 09:52
There is NO town that can hold out for 2 turns. Even the smallest unwalled town can hold out for 3. Something funny here...

hoom
04-29-2007, 11:01
Maybe they were bribed?

Pharnakes
04-29-2007, 11:17
But you can't bribe ot talk to a town under siege.

pezhetairoi
04-29-2007, 13:10
Curioser and curioser... Perhaps they lifted the siege, then bribed it. Sometimes if it happens fast enough you don't see it happening till it's happened.

Ower
04-29-2007, 14:53
I seen AI diplomats talk to sieget cities.

AngryAngelDD
04-29-2007, 17:09
it is not unusual that a city/fort gives up, if the besieging forces are far superior.
this happens to AI cities as well as player cities.

i´ve seen this often on my campaigns.
there is nothing wrong with this.

edit: this has nothing to do with the duration of the siege, be it 3 turns or 9 turns

bovi
04-29-2007, 18:23
A diplomat can talk to a city under siege if he received the order to do so before the city came under siege. Not saying that that happened this time though, it sounds very strange.

Fondor_Yards
04-29-2007, 18:58
And the AI seems to be able to anyways, seige or not.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-29-2007, 19:37
And the AI seems to be able to anyways, seige or not.
Indeed.

Kralizec
04-29-2007, 20:53
Odd. Never seen that.

The weirdest thing I've ever seen in an EB campaign was an AI garrison sally twice in a turn :inquisitive:

(and I don't mean as reinforcements for an another army)

Conradus
04-29-2007, 21:13
Is it so weird to sally twice? If seen them do it four, five times a turn.

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-29-2007, 21:26
it is not unusual that a city/fort gives up, if the besieging forces are far superior.
this happens to AI cities as well as player cities.

i´ve seen this often on my campaigns.
there is nothing wrong with this.

edit: this has nothing to do with the duration of the siege, be it 3 turns or 9 turns
I would say that this could be the case, but the Romans didn't have too much of an advantage. I had two units Poeni Citizen Militia there, and they had three units of something or other (Pedites Extraordinarii and Hastati I think). They weren't vastly superior.

I'm leaning toward the idea that it was bribed and I didn't see it. I didn't see a Romani diplomat there, but he may have been with the army.

atheotes
04-29-2007, 23:11
if your army was bribed wont you atleast get the "betrayed" kind of message??? weird.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-30-2007, 00:27
Is it so weird to sally twice? If seen them do it four, five times a turn.
Indeed.

if your army was bribed wont you atleast get the "betrayed" kind of message??? weird.
Not always.

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-30-2007, 00:42
I don't remember ever having experienced such a message in the times my cities have been bribed.

LordCurlyton
04-30-2007, 04:25
Hah! For disappearing acts I present you with the magical disappearing elite full stack (plus family member). I had just shipped this nice, pricey, elite full stack over to Asia Minor in my current Mak campaign and was switching out generals (I had brought a suitable governor for Antiochea). I go to make the switch so my uber general can continue the slogging, 30 years running war with the AS, I make the switch (since there was a garrison inside and I was feeling lazy) aaand.....the whole stack vanishes, and my general is gone. The family tree still listed him as being there and alive but he could neither interact with the world nor could I interact with him (let alone see where he was). Needless to say, I reloaded. Some things I won't tolerate.

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-30-2007, 04:30
O.o Lordy, that's a bummer. I don't think I've heard anybody tell a story such as that before...

Sdragon
04-30-2007, 06:17
What happened when you pressed the button on the family tree to move the screen to him? Did you get sent to limbo? :)

LordCurlyton
04-30-2007, 07:00
It tried to say he was still in the city but I could not move him nor see him in the unit roster for the city...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-30-2007, 07:51
You should have tried the move_character command.

LordCurlyton
04-30-2007, 20:23
Meh I just reloaded. That worked. Normally I avoid reloading but CTDs and weirdness like that are my exceptions.