PDA

View Full Version : Camels... o yea

Flame of Udun
02-01-2002, 09:35
Sry to start a new thread but I am kind of dismayed that there isnt much happening in this board...

Damn those camels look good, what do you think will be their weaknesses? will it be like AOE where they are great against Cavalry but bad against basically anything else? If camels are good against cavalry where will this put the Cavalry with lances?

[This message has been edited by Flame of Udun (edited 02-01-2002).]

Grim
02-01-2002, 15:29
Camels were good against cavalry because they scared the heck out of horses.
About being bad against everything else I would say they should be bad against most foot troops (except missile units pre-gunpowder era) as it's hard to fathom what the riders of these beasts could do way up there with their scimitar when I'm down here piercing/slashing the camels's legs. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
"Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
-Frontenac
(I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
-Trad. libre

Vanya
02-01-2002, 22:48
Gah! This reminds me of "Rush Hour"... when Inspector Lee offers "Camel's Hump" to James Carter...

I see many folks enjoying this delicary... courtesy of Pikemen...

Dwimmerlaik
02-01-2002, 22:56
I would assume they would have better endurance and a lower fatigue rating (camels are dirty, smelly tough mofos) than horse cavs...not sure how well they would do in the snow in Germany tho'

Hirosito
02-02-2002, 00:33
probably most 'special' units will be out of place infar away lands. do u fancy being a teutonic knight in full battle armour in egypt?

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-02-2002, 01:41
Could be interesting i'm sure, but wanna be an egyptian bloke in his turban and dress thingy in scotland? Chilly!!! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Grand Master of
The Knights Templar
"non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomine tuo da gloriam"

Jaguara
02-02-2002, 02:50
Quote Originally posted by Toda Nebuchadnezzar:
Could be interesting i'm sure, but wanna be an egyptian bloke in his turban and dress thingy in scotland? Chilly!!! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
[/QUOTE]

As opposed to running around in a kilt?

Dwimmerlaik
02-02-2002, 03:06
I thought those had built-in water bottles ?

Nelson
02-02-2002, 04:30
Does anyone have any idea how common camel riders were? Were they a large part of anyones army?

If camels were any good they would have been VERY popular.

Flame of Udun
02-02-2002, 04:33
Im not sure camels were popular but they were effective against horses... that brings me to my other question: If camels are effective against horses where does that put the anti-horse horses :P (Like Yari Cavalry)

Sir Kuma of The Org
02-02-2002, 08:39
Originally posted by Flame of Udun:
Im not sure camels were popular but they were effective against horses... that brings me to my other question: If camels are effective against horses where does that put the anti-horse horses :P (Like Yari Cavalry)

Your traditional "anti-horses" will be quite usefull in most western Europeen countries ( I don't think Camels will do well in northern climate).

But if i remember some parts of the interview correctly, in some type of terrains (Germany-mostly wooded areas), cavalry won't be usefull at all!

Reflecting on this and other information, i suspect in SP becoming master of the "known world", won't be a piece of cake.....

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good, hope they sound good also...

Flame of Udun
02-02-2002, 08:45
It will be HARD to take over the desert unless u have special units (maybe saracen infantry or soemthing) Cavalry wont be good against camels and Men-at-arms are too slow and get too hot hmm...

Sir Kuma of The Org
02-03-2002, 06:50
I agree Flame of Undun

So if i guess correctly, depending of the faction/country you choose to play, you only get access to the special units that are associated with that country.

It won't be easy....

------------------
Yes the camel sprites do look good, hope they sound good also...

Hirosito
02-03-2002, 18:23
it seems to me also that unlike shogun you will not come into contact with all the clans very quickly...i like that. it might come to a standoff between a north european power and an african/asian power. because of the time it will take. hopefully it wont be like hojo though

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Dwimmerlaik
02-04-2002, 00:25
Hehehe...a smelly camel horde...

Leet Eriksson
02-14-2002, 12:26
camels were'nt used by muslims a lot except in a few battles they not only scare the horses but give the rider the chance to kill whats riding the horse with a spear or a scimitar btw camels are better than horses in desert terrain and a lot higher giving hieght advantage against the enemy.IMO the mameluke will be the yari cavalry equivelant cuase it used to carry a spear and ride a speedy horse(and usually threw the spear for maximum damage!!!)