PDA

View Full Version : awesome game BUT..................

neoiq5719
05-01-2007, 15:21
Dont get me wrong about the opinion i´m gonna express now cos I think this mod is just superb. Like someone said, RTW is an engine and EB is the real deal. I think the guys from EB just made a fool of CA with this release but anyway................... excelent mod but when u do a game this long u have to make some changes.
What do i mean by changes?
well after playing for so many days (and i´ve only played with the Roman faction so far) the only moment i say waooo is when a new unit comes into play and u know u have to wait quite some time for that to happen cos eventhough the mod is excelent it gets to a point in which it becomes flat. Same thing all the time and that begins to tire u.
A game this long has to have changes every now and then to break away from the monotony. Different music let´s say after having played 1/3 of the campaign ( cos the same thing all the time is too much), different graphical effects, and many other things just to see something different.
I dont know if those things can be implemented ( i guess also that blood is out of the question and this game needs it)but when something gets this long, it needs a change of pace once in awhile.
I dont know what is like to play with another faction yet but if the Romans advanced in outfits and weapons more that the others, those of u who played other factions didnt get bored of seeing the same thing over and over for that long?.
I just think that a game this long needs more entertaining stuff or more DIFFERENT things every now and then.

spirit_of_rob
05-01-2007, 15:52
Easiest way of avoiding burn out for me is have multiple faction campaigns on the go play as rome for a while then switch to maybe a hellenistic faciton then try a gallic tribe etc thats what i do anyhows

neoiq5719
05-01-2007, 15:54
Easiest way of avoiding burn out for me is have multiple faction campaigns on the go play as rome for a while then switch to maybe a hellenistic faciton then try a gallic tribe etc thats what i do anyhows
woa u got some balls boy

Teleklos Archelaou
05-01-2007, 15:58
Pay more attention to characters' traits and try to roleplay it just a bit more that way. If a guy is rash, do something illogical that might hurt your faction every once in a while. If a guy is really too cautious, that battle that looks like a cakewalk - well, have him pull back his forces. Lots of ways to get into things more, and lots of new stuff coming down the pipe too, but things like delayed music and such just aren't possible given the engine.

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
05-01-2007, 19:15
IMO the Romans are one of the most boring factions to play, they have a narrow, one shot, unit roster for most of the game, a cake-walk start position etc.

Now, we have some more interesting things in the pipline but I would suggest you try a different faction that allows you to varry your play-style more.

One of the Hellenistic factions might be good to get you started, Macedonia is interesting and they have so many units you can't have everything in one army.

keravnos
05-01-2007, 19:52
Dont get me wrong about the opinion i´m gonna express now cos I think this mod is just superb. Like someone said, RTW is an engine and EB is the real deal. I think the guys from EB just made a fool of CA with this release but anyway...................

Well, thanks for the kind words, but I for one appreciate CA's doing the engine, 3d graphics setups, animations, easy editable graphics and text files, those 1.000.000 amazing little things that allowed us to build EB, on top of a mod-friendly game.

So, please, do not bash CA. We didn't make fools out of them, what we try to do, is make them and SEGA more money, so they can in turn work towards the next "Total War" game and so forth...and perhaps give us more sand for our "historical sandbox therapy" :laugh4:

In this day and age of "releasing CONSOLE ONLY", I personally :applause: their courage to stick with a game design philosophy that is guaranteed to bring them grief (I just don't see how a game of the magnitude of RTW, or M2TW will ever be something that people feel is without bugs), and not going console only on us.

Think about it from a dev point of view. Console=One year devellopment, a small team, guaranteed cash flow at the end, and NO bad feedback from anybody. I really can't blame them any company for going "console only" but I do appreciate, support and continue to buy products of a game whose game (RTW, M2TW and KINGDOMS) has (despite its flaws) given all of us endless hours of entertainment. ON PC! Can't enjoy a "simpler" game, sorry. :no:

So, please, criticism is fine, but NO CA bashing like that. RTW, if anything, isn't a fools' game, nor fools gold. Therefore its creators aren't!

If you feel it is boring, start new campaings, take a break, play something different maybe. What you are actually doing on RTW, and on EB and other mods, is managing an empire. This isn't supposed to be either easy, glorious or exciting. It never has been. All you get, like in RL, is glorious moments. A victory against all odds, the "swerpunkt" moment when all your energies, and armies converge into a simple point, the "blitzkrieg" sensation of running a spear through an enemy empire, who has defeated you before, getting sparkling+deadly new units you paid tons of gold for etc. Seleukos, one of the best rulers ever, whose empire you know as "Arche Seleukeia" has been quoted as saying...

If one knew how much work and pain running an empire involves, one wouldn't pick up a crown (aka the rule of a kingdom) off the street

If CA has made it look good, well, Kudos to them. We improved on their design, that much is true, but we wouldn't be able to if it wasn't there to begin with, or wasn't open to modification.

Dan_Grr
05-01-2007, 21:44
It was and it is on their interest to allow modifications of their game. This is a rule for other companies, not just CA. In this way everybody can release a beautiful game with a dorky AI and endless bugs get away with it, with either patches, or mods from fans. Free work, now thats sweet.

Fondor_Yards
05-01-2007, 21:51
Try someone like Pontus or Parthia. Fun, hard campaign. Carthage is pretty easy *rich, top notch inf and cav and navy*, but also tons of fun in my book.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
05-02-2007, 01:34
:rtwyes:

So, please, do not bash CA. We didn't make fools out of them, what we try to do, is make them and SEGA more money, so they can in turn work towards the next "Total War" game and so forth...and perhaps give us more sand for our "historical sandbox therapy" :laugh4:

Very good post. I wish my mates from the Flight Simulator community would realise this and stop bashing Microsoft for "Boeing 737 doesn't have functioning toilet" and the likes...

And hey, I played Vanilla for years with FUN (and I didn't know there was something better, ... and I also didn't search for something better).

IrishArmenian
05-02-2007, 04:42
You want to **** a brick? Play as Hayasdan. Enemies from all sides. One really must respect the Haye Kings of antiquity. I am struggling to match Tigrane's Empire.

NeoSpartan
05-02-2007, 04:57
Dude... come on..... Everybody at some point gets tired of playing the same game or doing the same thing.

So, if ur getting bored of your Romani campain because its getting monotonous. HEY CHOOSE ANOTHER FACTION and play for a little while with it!!!

I always have at least 2 campains saved, were one is my Favorite (in this case the Aedui) and the other one (in this case a Seleucid campain) I play when I get tired of seeing guys running around without shirts or clothes.

It aint that hard:dizzy2: .... hell go play Vanilla if you feel like for a few days.

Rilder
05-02-2007, 05:14
Another idea is to stop being triumphant all the time, it takes a bit of Role-playing but, have something drastic happen, for expample, in my Lusotannan Campaign i've kept my bloodline pure, but the family name is waning, my current prince when he takes the throne will, if he doesn't have any children will be the last of the line, meaning, well if he dies then my empire will crumble, and likely be over ran by neighboring factions.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-02-2007, 06:24
Another idea is to stop being triumphant all the time, it takes a bit of Role-playing but, have something drastic happen, for expample, in my Lusotannan Campaign i've kept my bloodline pure, but the family name is waning, my current prince when he takes the throne will, if he doesn't have any children will be the last of the line, meaning, well if he dies then my empire will crumble, and likely be over ran by neighboring factions.
That's an awesome idea! Maybe when my Roman Emporer dies (as he has no son), I should pull all of my legions back to Rome to represent a civil war and let all of my borders fall apart.

Ypoknons
05-02-2007, 08:39
I miss the civil war system from MTW where your Empire would split and could pick which side you want to back.

Cybvep
05-02-2007, 10:05
The game gets really boring when you have an enormous empire and nothing can stand in your way. No challenge = no realism & no fun. EVERY empire has its own problems. Also, EVERY empire falls, sooner or later, and this should be properly represented. Corruption, revolts, bad traits and scripted events (Maybe other factions [under defined circumstances] forming a coalition against you, additional money assistance for them, free spies and assassins [maybe also for "Rebels"...]?). After all, ruling an empire SHOULD be difficult. Some changes and additional stuff will surely enhance player's experience.

bovi
05-02-2007, 10:29
So, you don't enjoy having a huge empire... I've only ever finished one game of RTW, and that was my first vanilla one, in order to unlock all the factions (I didn't know you could edit that at the time). When you get bored, why not start over with another faction like I do?

Cybvep
05-02-2007, 10:48
So, you don't enjoy having a huge empire... I've only ever finished one game of RTW, and that was my first vanilla one, in order to unlock all the factions (I didn't know you could edit that at the time). When you get bored, why not start over with another faction like I do?
I usually do just that, but I would love to create and manage a huge Makedonian Empire without getting bored. And hey, we all love realism here, right? And life was never easy...

Ower
05-02-2007, 12:42
We love realism, but the engine not so much as we do. actualy much les.

Zaknafien
05-02-2007, 14:15
I agree with bovi; Ive played EB for years, but have NEVER played a game until 15 AD. I think the farthest Ive ever gotten was around 90 BCE.