PDA

View Full Version : Slow loading

Nick.Altman
05-03-2007, 06:59
Hello. This mod is really great. I used to think that RTR was the best but I changed my mind. EB is awsome!
But everything load much slower. Every other mod of RTW is faster. Even MTW II loads faster after loading, battles, after batlles, etc.

Did anybody noticed this to? Can something be done? Why is so? :help:

deadmeat36
05-03-2007, 07:04
Massive resources needed

Maybe a person with more experience can answer in more detail

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-03-2007, 07:15
EB takes a lot of resources and pushes the limits of the RTW engine. Slowdown is normal.

Make sure you don't have any other programs running when you play.

There's an old guide (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75948) to help with backround processes if you want to deactivate them.

deadmeat36
05-03-2007, 07:30
Also watch out because the specs are much higher

On RTW I can go on unit size Huge and unit detail high with everything else low

On EB I have to go on unit size Normal and unit detail low with everything else on low

Kenny
05-04-2007, 18:15
What about the slowdown in scrolling when your lands increase? Is this happening to anyone else?

I'll be a bit more specific. I recently downloaded the latest EB version, up until yesterday i did'n't even realize it was outhere, and was still playing the betaversion. :oops: Anyway, i immediately started a new Roman campaign and was having a blast all night, until i advanced further and further into Gaul. The more provinces i conquered, the slower my scrolling on the worldmap got, and i even had some lag in the battlemode as well. Once i scroll back to my initial position in Italy, suddenly the scrolling goes smooth again. So there's lag in Gaul, but no probs in Italy.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Btw....no need to ask for my specs, i play MTW2 in full detail, so RTWEB should be a walk in the park for my CPU.

Foot
05-04-2007, 18:18
Never heard of that. It may be to do with memory leakage, after extended periods of play the game begins to slow down. Did all this happen in one session, does it repeat when you start a new one?

Foot

Watchman
05-04-2007, 18:22
Hasn't RTW always had a memory leak issue ?

Kenny
05-04-2007, 18:24
Never heard of that. It may be to do with memory leakage, after extended periods of play the game begins to slow down. Did all this happen in one session, does it repeat when you start a new one?

Foot
I first noticed it this morning, then i went to work and shut down my PC, but the same thing happened right from the start when i just continued the campaign. Again, it only happens when i move the cursor over Gaul, once i scroll back to the Italian region everything seems to work fine again.

This memory leak, is this a known issue? And if yes, is there a patch that takes care of it?

Kenny
05-04-2007, 18:32
Hasn't RTW always had a memory leak issue ?
Not to my knowledge, at least not RTW vanilla. I had some long waiting times between turns in RTR and the betaversion of BE, but i consider those minor annoyances, and i'm not sure if they are caused by a memory leak. Nothing of the sort in RTW vanilla though.

Foot
05-04-2007, 18:47
Not to my knowledge, at least not RTW vanilla. I had some long waiting times between turns in RTR and the betaversion of BE, but i consider those minor annoyances, and i'm not sure if they are caused by a memory leak. Nothing of the sort in RTW vanilla though.

No, RTW does have a memory leak, though I had thought that was fixed in 1.5, but it might not be. You probably hadn't noticed it in RTR or RTW because your rig is powerful enough for the game to leak memory and not worry. But EB really puts the pressure on the system. Most of our text files are far far longer than RTW or RTR that there will be slow down in the end. But if it is happening from the start, then I have no idea.

Foot

Dan_Grr
05-04-2007, 18:56
Or it could be this:

When you send your diplomat, or your spy or anyone else in a big voyage where his movement points are exceeded (red, blue and so on), the game instantly gets slower and sluggish. An immediate fix for this would be to grab another unit and walk it a little bit without spending all its movement points. Everything should go back to normal.

However, even now when knowing this, RTW has a tendency to become a bit sluggish in the long run so it's best to exit the game and/or restart the PC every couple of hours.

Hope that helped.

fallen851
05-04-2007, 18:58
No, RTW does have a memory leak, though I had thought that was fixed in 1.5, but it might not be.
Foot

It was partially fixed. So the leak will happen, but at a much slower rate than version 1.3 (the patch that introduced the leak).

Kenny
05-04-2007, 19:09
So i just have to live with it then? Because it's partially messing up the fun, especially if it gets any worse.

TiFlo
05-04-2007, 20:54
@ Kenny
I believe your slowdown comes form the higher amount of trees found North of Italy. I experience the exact same slowdown, and it gets even worst when scrolling over Germany. I remember someone from the team telling this some times ago. When you're over sea and desert, everything is smooth ; the more you scroll up north over heavilly tree covered lands, the more lag you'll likely get.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-05-2007, 00:21
Yes, the trees in Gaul and Germania cause slowdowns for some people with slower systems. This just happens and there is no way of fixing it other than upgrading your computer. You can try using the "CRTL-T" command to turn off city names on the strat map. The names seem to add a little bit of lag and turning them off kind of cancels out the tree slowdown, or so I've heard.

Kenny
05-06-2007, 01:48
But that's the point, i don't have a slow system. Like i said before, if i can play MTW2 at full graphic detail, then i shouldn't have any problems at all with any RTW modifications, wouldn't you agree?

You're right on the trees though, that might just be it. I haven't conquered anything in Germania just yet, so i guess i wouldn't know how things will go there since everything is still pretty much hidden for my eyes, but the lag i experience in Gaul is much less in Hispania, and there are no problems at all in the north african coastal provinces which are all mine now. Ah well, there could be worse things in my life, like a fridge with no beer in it for example. :laugh4:

Anyways...thanks for the feedback so far guys. :2thumbsup: