PDA

View Full Version : Marius Reforms.

Stuperman
05-10-2007, 14:02
Ok, now I know the trigger is suposed to be an imperial palace in Italy (I've also heard any time after 220BC in 1.5), but I was playing last night and they happened really early, in 227BC.

I'm playing as Julii, and have spies in Rome, Capua, Tarentum and Croton and there is NO IMPERIAL PALACES anywhere in Italy. Rome has 26k people, but still a Pro-Consul place, the only thing I can think is maybe Sicily counts too? I have a screenshot, but am at work, I'll try to post it tonight. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea.

to be honest I'm a little miffed, I just built a FS army of princepes for the eventual roman social wars (I own 28 provinces, all of Hispania, Gaul, southern Germany, Britania, Palma, Iuvavium and the western dacian province) and now I can't retain them at Alesia (there's a gaulic battleforge temple there).

professorspatula
05-10-2007, 15:13
I think with 1.5, the date no longer matters, you just need the biggest governor building and it happens the next turn. You might want to check Patavium in the north of Italy - it has a massive growth rate and is often the first Roman settlement to turn into a huge city (providing it is captured - which it usually is). Although if you're the Julii I assume it's your own settlement? Not having the reforms until 227BC is quite an achievement really as you can get them far quicker if large farms and growth bonus temples are built. I personally preferred it when the reforms were a bit more random, otherwise you barely get enough time to train enough Triarii to make up a proper pre-Marian force.

Fate
05-10-2007, 16:33
Yes, Sicily does count, as i recall.

Stuperman
05-10-2007, 17:46
@professorspatula

Yeah, I own Patavium, and there's no imperial palace, it does grow really fast though I have been trying to 'turtle' this campaign a bit hoping to avoid the Marius reforms till as late as possible, preferably after the civil war.

The really annoying part is that I have garrisons of 5hastii/3archers/2equites in all german boarder provinces (town watch every where else), and serveral (north/south gaul, north/south spain, britian) rebel fighting forces of 3hastii/2archers/2equits. In addition to my 4 'Agressor' FS's and now my sweet defences forces all need to be replaced :no:. Well, subsututed with auxilia and roman cav maybe so that those troops can join the agressor armies, it feels like I just got this setup, and now I have to change it. I've always found the Marias (marian?) reforms inconvienent, I'd love it if they dodn;t come till 107 (i think) like in real history.

@Fate

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if Lilybauem or Syracuse had an Imperial Palace.

professorspatula
05-10-2007, 18:17
Well I checked through the files and all the Sicily regions definitely count.

When the reforms come about, I usually use it as a chance to retire my veterans or have them on standby in an area to take on rebels. Once you have enough legionaries to replace your Principes and Hastati it's nice to reward your loyal troops with some much needed rest. Any true veterans (6+ experience) can be sent to the capital as honourary guards to your leader. Sure it's a bit of a nuisance to lose your existing army structure, but that's the price for progress!

By the way, you could always edit the export_descr_buildings.txt file and change it so the Hastati, Principes etc can be built all the time, or even swap the recruitment requirements for pre-Marian units so they can be trained during the Marian reforms, and the Post-Marian units so they can only be trained before the reforms. If you do that now, you're stuck with the old units and can't train the new ones, and then you can always the edit the file again back to how it was before when you decide the reforms should occur. It's a minor effort really, but worth considering. Of course all generals will remain upgraded unless you change that too.