PDA

View Full Version : Better faction

Caeser The III
05-17-2007, 00:58
vote here please( i didnt put selucid empire because they ar practicly the same as the greeks)

The Spartan (Returns)
05-17-2007, 01:41
obviously Rome is the best faction in the game. superior cav, inf, art, and a great camp. start.

Laman
05-17-2007, 07:25
Out of those, uncertain. Seleucids are the best (good phalanxes, good legionary types, cataphracts, elephants, in short the best all-round army), but since they are not in I think I'll go with the overpowered Roman scum.

Dementros
05-18-2007, 03:22
I would say Rome. Currently I'm playing as the Greek City-States and have conquered practically everything but the northern barbarians, Rome(who murdered the Guals and took all of Spain), Carthage area, and Egypt. Out of all the remaining factions I would say Rome is the hardest.

Even with a dumb AI their units are so good that it means you would be dumb to auto any battle against them. Even if you outnumber them you have to manage the battle personally or your weaker units will do something stupid. Thus they are hard because of their unit stat and all the great units they can make to cover up for their lack of AI.:inquisitive:

Afkazar
05-22-2007, 17:07
vote here please( i didnt put selucid empire because they ar practicly the same as the greeks) I find that quote offensive. As a Seleucid player we possess many qualities that regular regular greeks do not have. Are Cavalry Is matched only by the romans a quality the "greeks" do not possess. We ride to war on bladed chariots that slay the infantry of the romans. We also ride Elephants like the carthaginians. Finally we have our own legionnaires. While our phalanxs and archers may not match the greatness of the greeks we sure can easily out flank them and rear charge.

Master_Thief
05-22-2007, 17:25
I'm inclined to go for Rome, since I find the history more interesting (though history is interesting full stop). However, on the battlefield the Romans have always seemed to me the most formidable. With most other armies I find detailed tactics and plenty of thought are required, especially with the greeks and Carthaginians since they have such varied troops. With the Romans I simply create a block of legionnaires (or hastati etc) set them to auto fire and watch the enemy break against their shields. Then its simply a case of mopping up with some mounted praetorians. Doesn't always work, but its satisfying when it does.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
05-22-2007, 18:15
Hi Afkazar,

Anyone know how to delete posts?Sorry Afkazar, but there is, sadly, no way of directly deleting posts. Fortunately, however, If you want that post simply deleting simply PM this forums highly esteemed and great moderators, in this case TosaInu, and he will try to do something about the second accidental post. Hope this helps, cheers!

guineawolf
05-22-2007, 20:28
Hi Afkazar,
Sorry Afkazar, but there is, sadly, no way of directly deleting posts. Fortunately, however, If you want that post simply deleting simply PM this forums highly esteemed and great moderators, in this case TosaInu, and he will try to do something about the second accidental post. Hope this helps, cheers!

the romans have the highest morale for each level units........make them the last routing from battle.....hold long enough to cause their enemy fleeing from battle....:2thumbsup:
the monthly games and races provided by arena and hipprodrome help me a lot in maintaining my cities public orders..:yes: .....

Plebian#10
05-22-2007, 20:32
Rome - no question about it.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
05-22-2007, 21:08
My personal favourite is Carthage. They are not like the other factions, and have a look and feel to them that no other faction has. They also are a nice challange to play as providing the entertainment factor too.

Master_Thief
05-22-2007, 21:42
Going somewhat off topic, Carthage were always the best faction in Age of Empires 1 (just thought i'd mention it).

Fate
05-22-2007, 21:59
I'm still undecided what my favourite faction is for RTW.

I completed the game with Egypt first, so that's always a favourite, though having gone back and played it.

Unlike the Britons, who i've completed 3, maybe 4 campaigns with (in various patch levels and gameplay mods), so theyre always a favourite.

I also had a successful campaign with Carthage, which was really fun.

And the Greek cities i've played a HELL of a lot with as well, so theyre a large favourite.

I had a brilliant RTG game with Ilberia, where i got to 75 provinces, something i've never managed before.

And finally, though i never completed the campaign (i quit in disgust at the inevitable betrayel by my long time allies the Brutii) Thrace were a really cool faction to play with, and in my book have always been the most intresting faction. They do need more troop types to even it out, but the ones that they had (Falx man, Bastarnae, and Thracian Officers Core - in RTG) were absoloutely fantastic.

So i dont know.

Oh, and Rome's always fun to play with aswell! :laugh4:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
05-23-2007, 08:01
Carthage were always the best faction in Age of Empires 1 (just thought i'd mention it).Ah yes, that wonderful old game. I couldn't resist playing the Battle of Tunis on very hard and trying to evacuate my tiny city as fast as possible to the lands of the yellow Romans, hoping they wouldn't notice me on the way!

Subedei
05-23-2007, 09:32
I love Carthage...with all the elephants and the mixture of troops in general. :bling: deLuxe.

one of the bad things is the lag of archers, but you can get some decent mercs -knowing how to handel a bow and arrows- over in Spain or Crete.

Besides that the economic power of this faction makes them sort of "better" too.

Plus: i love to kick some Romans out of Sicily, southern Italy...northern Italy and on and on....but that is a personal thing :laugh4:

Well, yes i played the Romans too, and they really are pretty strong.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
05-24-2007, 19:18
I suppose I could say that I too have a prejudice against those perfumed Romans too! It's a grudge that I have held ever since I first played AoE I, mentioned earlier in this thread, and the Carthaginian vs. Roman battles contained within it. After plenty of defeats at their hands I finally managed to find their weakness. However, while I was away fighting one lot of the wretched Romans, the other group evilly attacked my city. After my foreign assault failed, I was left with only a horrible archery range left that wasn't worth anything too me - how could I survive with only simple archers? I was forced to end my campaign at this point, a villager of the foes walked past it so I knew that the legions would find it soon. I don't know why, but it's as if this defeat, which I was all part of an empire that I had been building for ages, has traumatised me. Ever since this terrible event I have always wanted to play as Carthage and avert history, destroying the Romans as I go, just to avenge the destruction of the empire which I had been building for a whole five hours.

Master_Thief
05-24-2007, 22:16
I suppose I could say that I too have a prejudice against those perfumed Romans too! It's a grudge that I have held ever since I first played AoE I, mentioned earlier in this thread, and the Carthaginian vs. Roman battles contained within it. After plenty of defeats at their hands I finally managed to find their weakness. However, while I was away fighting one lot of the wretched Romans, the other group evilly attacked my city. After my foreign assault failed, I was left with only a horrible archery range left that wasn't worth anything too me - how could I survive with only simple archers? I was forced to end my campaign at this point, a villager of the foes walked past it so I knew that the legions would find it soon. I don't know why, but it's as if this defeat, which I was all part of an empire that I had been building for ages, has traumatised me. Ever since this terrible event I have always wanted to play as Carthage and avert history, destroying the Romans as I go, just to avenge the destruction of the empire which I had been building for a whole five hours.

My sympathies go out to you. Such events really were damnably depressing. It got to the stage in AOE 2 where my strategy became that of building about three or four different cities then walling off half the map. Aah happy days. Anyway your tale of woe has inspired me to begin my own campaign of roman annihilation, though most likely with the might of Germania or Gaul.

IceWolf
05-24-2007, 22:38
Hey Fate,
Are you doing the short or long campaign with the Brits? I've thought about playing them but was curious as to how they'd hold up. Thanks,

IceWolf

Caius
05-25-2007, 02:58
Im playing as the Greeks.

M/M

I killed the Scipii(the leader died, and noone could be the leader), and the SPQR.I managed to kick the Brutii outside Italy, and Epirus.

I had a lot of fun, but i only managed to have 17 regions yet.
The Seleucids, Gauls, Germanians, Scytians and Numidians were destroyed, and superfactions emerged(Carthage, cos they didnt were attacked by the Scipii, Egypt, Pontus, The Juliians and I).
Marius reforms didnt popped out for a weird reason, so I can kick Romans very faster with excellent Armoured Hoplites(they rule)

Oh, and BTW,

The Greeks could rule the World, Alexander did

Fate
05-25-2007, 09:10
In Vanilla RTG, theyre a very overpowered faction actually.
They've got head hurlers (archers with extreme morale reducing properties), chariots, and woad warriors.
The fact that you're an island means you are really easy to defend, and if you take all the british settlements (inc. Ireland) you will be self sufficient. Even better with Samaraobriva (sp?) which can bring you a huge amount of income, but in Vanilla, barbarians cant build stone walls, which can be an extreme disadvantage in this position.

For the most part, and agressive and fun campaign is pretty much assured.

Fwapper
06-04-2007, 18:13
The Britons... *scared look*

There is not much that is quite as annoying as when you have valiently defended some gaps in the walls, routed huge numbers of superior enemy troops... and then on come the British chariots, smashing your formations and routing your troops ;(

DthaV
06-05-2007, 03:27
Rome with out a doubt. as you get closer to A.D. the roman heavy infantry, are without a doubt superior to any other faction.