PDA

View Full Version : The Last Legion

Xtiaan72
05-25-2007, 04:44
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. It's a link to an unreleased sword and sandals epic featuring the last Roman emperor searching for his "lost" legion in Britannia. Every character in it seems to correspond to a member of the "Fellowship of the Ring". It's mostly Conan style fight scenes but "The Last Legion" does show up in battle near the end. It's actually pretty entertaining!

Interesting Cameo- The actor that plays Lucius Verenus on "Rome" shows up as an evil, bearded, horribly scarred Gaul! How's that for irony!

Enjoy. http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/4/2943

sgsandor
05-25-2007, 05:39
the link doesnt work

Xtiaan72
05-25-2007, 06:33
It's works for me! That's strange. Go to http://www.tv-links.co.uk and click on the link for The Last Legion in the movie section as an alternative.

LordCurlyton
05-25-2007, 06:46
It is because you have one too many slash marks in you address. The correct link is http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/4/2943.

deadmeat36
05-25-2007, 07:17
Read the book

I found it was pretty good and I like how it tied into dark age mythology

Pharnakes
05-25-2007, 12:15
Any one ever read eagle of the ninth?

atheotes
05-25-2007, 15:03
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. It's a link to an unreleased sword and sandals epic featuring the last Roman emperor searching for his "lost" legion in Britannia. Every character in it seems to correspond to a member of the "Fellowship of the Ring". It's mostly Conan style fight scenes but "The Last Legion" does show up in battle near the end. It's actually pretty entertaining!

Interesting Cameo- The actor that plays Lucius Verenus on "Rome" shows up as an evil, bearded, horribly scarred Gaul! How's that for irony!

Enjoy. http:///www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/4/2943

It says part 2 in there... is there a part 1 ? Thanks.

Mithradates
05-25-2007, 15:51
Is eagle of the ninth where a eagle gets stolen in Britain and a bunch of half mad half insane Romans have to go into deepest darkest Scotland to fish it out cos if it is i read it when i was very young and found it very enjoyable.

Redmeth
05-25-2007, 16:14
This is the one:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0462396/

Xtiaan72
05-25-2007, 17:18
It says part 2 in there... is there a part 1 ? Thanks.

Click on the title "The last legion" itself for part one.

Tretii
05-25-2007, 18:40
I think you gotta be 15 years old to enjoy this film. Its' too lame for adults.

The Celt
05-25-2007, 19:56
I think you gotta be 15 years old to enjoy this film. Its' too lame for adults.
Hey I'm sixteen and I resent that!:furious3: Not that I don't agree with you this movie is just another nail in the coffin for history enthusiasm among the masses.(Not that it wasn't already at an all time low...) Now I haven't read the book so I'm not going to judge the core story. But this movie seems like it'll make King Arthur look like a docu-drama by the history channel in comparison.:dizzy2:

Honestly, why don't they just make up fantasy settings for these lame action/adventure pieces of crap? Why do they have to butcher our past by putting LOTR(Films not books) style superheros in where they don't belong?:wall: I know the film isn't out yet so it's alittle too soon to judge it but by the trailers I've seen its not looking very interesting.:inquisitive:

Gask
05-25-2007, 20:47
It is true, if this movie had taken place in a fictional world it would have been at least ok... As it was it just seemed like a very cheap & cheesy rehash (with a twist) of 'King Arthur' from 2005 or whenever that movie came out.

The plot devices they used were also very predictable and dull. The female warrior and the instant love story ect.

Was I the only one who felt dismay at seeing Vorenus From HBO's Rome in such a crappy role?

The Celt
05-25-2007, 21:53
It is true, if this movie had taken place in a fictional world it would have been at least ok... As it was it just seemed like a very cheap & cheesy rehash (with a twist) of 'King Arthur' from 2005 or whenever that movie came out.

The plot devices they used were also very predictable and dull. The female warrior and the instant love story ect.

Was I the only one who felt dismay at seeing Vorenus From HBO's Rome in such a crappy role?
Ironic isn't it? Also, Titus Pullo(Ray Stevenson) was in King Arthur aswell.:inquisitive:

-Praetor-
05-25-2007, 22:08
Hell, if you all have read the book, you would have found that this movie makes it pure justice!!!!

They`re both pieces of crap!!!!!!!

(Actually, the Last Legion is Manfredi`s at it`s lowest)

Xtiaan72
05-26-2007, 00:01
Very silly and crappy but at least were not still talking about 'The 300'.

Soon we can talk about the destined to be crappy 'Hannibal' movie starring
Vin Diesel as Hannibal! How's that for a turd in waiting..

Sarcasm
05-26-2007, 00:05
Hell, if you all have read the book, you would have found that this movie makes it pure justice!!!!

They`re both pieces of crap!!!!!!!

(Actually, the Last Legion is Manfredi`s at it`s lowest)

Manfredi is one of the crappiest writers in the world. I know people who can write 1000 times better than that guy and haven't had the luck of getting a book deal.

The Last Legion was pure torture for me to read until the end. Nearly dropped the book like 4 times, but I make it my purpose to finish any book I start to read.

Spoofa
05-26-2007, 00:16
Hey I'm sixteen and I resent that!:furious3: Not that I don't agree with you this movie is just another nail in the coffin for history enthusiasm among the masses.(Not that it wasn't already at an all time low...) Now I haven't read the book so I'm not going to judge the core story. But this movie seems like it'll make King Arthur look like a docu-drama by the history channel in comparison.:dizzy2:

Honestly, why don't they just make up fantasy settings for these lame action/adventure pieces of crap? Why do they have to butcher our past by putting LOTR(Films not books) style superheros in where they don't belong?:wall: I know the film isn't out yet so it's alittle too soon to judge it but by the trailers I've seen its not looking very interesting.:inquisitive:

eh? what sort of LOTR superheros are you talking about that weren't in the books besides the constant focus on arwen when she hardly had anything to do with the story?

Watchman
05-26-2007, 01:11
Mentioning Legolas, the Master Wire-Fu Ninja, should suffice I trust ?

Sarcasm
05-26-2007, 01:14
Legolas is cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

The Celt
05-26-2007, 01:22
Yeah Watchman knows what I'm talking about. Now all we need in this movie is a super Karate expert Justinian fighting alongside Belisarius and his nun-chuk wielding cataphracts against the insanely body-pierced Alaric with Atilla wearing nothing but a golden cod-piece that says "Foxy Grandpa".

Legolas is cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.
He was so gay yah know.....him and Gimli......ewww.:sweatdrop:

Sarcasm
05-26-2007, 01:30
Yeah, the whole end part of the Return Of The King was at the very least ambiguously gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that (two posts, two references - I'm just spitting them left and right today :beam: ).

Watchman
05-26-2007, 01:32
Do you have something against a beautiful love between two males of different species ? Shame on you. :no:

Now all we need in this movie is a super Karate expert Justinian fighting alongside Belisarius and his nun-chuk wielding cataphracts against the insanely body-pierced Alaric with Atilla wearing nothing but a golden cod-piece that says "Foxy Grandpa".You win one Internet.

-Praetor-
05-26-2007, 04:00
This is a excellent example of how a thread can go very... very wrong...

What the hell were you smoking today dudes?:speechless:

Tiberius of the Drake
05-26-2007, 04:19
:focus: Both the book the Lat Legion by Valerio Massimo Manfredi is very good. and the legion of the nine was also a good book when i was younger.

Sarcasm
05-26-2007, 04:23
:no:

Gask
05-26-2007, 04:47
Soon we can talk about the destined to be crappy 'Hannibal' movie starring
Vin Diesel as Hannibal! How's that for a turd in waiting..

Is this true? Its too disturbing to contemplate... :gah2::dizzy2: :skull:

Xtiaan72
05-26-2007, 07:15
It's sad but true.....

abou
05-26-2007, 08:16
Thankfully, Hannibal the Conqueror doesn't seem to be picking up any steam. I don't even think they've started filming yet. Besides, the fact that he is actually trying to get a script with spoken Punic... pft.

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
05-26-2007, 12:45
Actually I enjoyed it as a bit of cheap hokum, same with King Arthur and The Scorpian King.

If someone made Conan today all people would do it bitch about how conan was actually half an inch taller. Entertainment is entertainment.

From what I saw of this they aren't making a big thing of this being history.

Watchman
05-26-2007, 21:27
Conan gets off the hook by not even pretending any historical references.

mAIOR
05-26-2007, 21:31
I tought the movie was boring and predictable. I was actually hopefull something good would come out of it... I was sadly mistaken. Not even Kevin McKidd brought anything good to the movie.
Well, there's a reason O rated it 2 out of 10 at IMDB...

Cheers...

blitzkrieg80
05-30-2007, 05:49
poor Vorenus ~:(

btw, cool link, thanks!

was that movie even released in the US?

Xtiaan72
05-30-2007, 06:43
I don't think it's out yet. Whoever posted it is an evil doer:pirate2:

Tempesta
05-30-2007, 09:47
im a bit late i know but with the Manfredi discussion I really enjoyed reading these books, just recommending em Alexander Collection Child Of Dreams- prince Alexander being educated and being under King phillip, learning with Aristole etc, Sands Of Ammon king Alexander beginning invasion of persia and ending in egypt. Then India, rest of Persia Ends Of the Earth and Tyrant based loosely on Dionysus, a guys rise up to ruler Syracuse and beyond. mainly focuses on battles in Siciliy with Carthage

Palasta
06-04-2007, 17:28
I ve seen the movie last week. It was acceptable in the first minutes, but as the eastern bodyguard was bathing and the other guy found "his" clothes, i was convinced that this movie will not furfill even my lowest expactations. Before i watched the movie i ve read the description on the germanwikipediapage. There is written:

"The Last Legion ist der Titel eines Historienfilms, der im August 2007 in die Kinos kommen wird."

Translation:
"The last Legion is the titel of a historymovie, coming August 2007 at a theatre near you."

A historymovie? This crappy movie at a cinema? I dont think so. "Attila The Hun" was way better and it was only shown on TV.

aecp
06-04-2007, 19:49
This movie is awful beyond words. I couldn't even finish it the first time and found myself skipping back and fourth to avoid the terrible dialog. I don't think I've ever seen a worse choice for a hero than Colin Firth in any movie of this kind. And what the hell was with the Gandalf-ripoff throwing fireballs through the tips of his fingers? In my opinion the only one involved with this movie who got away with even a shred of dignity intact was Kevin McKidd. But if you're wondering if it's possible to make a loosely history based fantasy-movie ten times worse than anything 300 has to offer, then by all means, go see this steaming pile of shit.

Xtiaan72
06-04-2007, 20:50
Aecp- I agree it's a pile of crap but if you were skipping through it to avoid the crappy dialog then how in the world did you sit through the cringe worthy dialog of 300?

aecp
06-04-2007, 21:05
300 had dialog!? Holy crap!

But seriously, having read the comic and seen the trailers lessened the impact of 300's abysmal dialog somewhat. It's still a horrible movie though, just more of a "pumped-up music video drawn out for two hours" while The Last Legion is a glorified TV-movie that's low on quality even at that.

Xtiaan72
06-04-2007, 21:12
You hit the nail on the head, it plays like a made for cable movie. The Sci-fi channel has actually doen tv movies that are better ( If not entirely good).

Funny but if you compare any of this stuff to something like HBO's Rome it's hard to believe they pulled the cash together to get such crappyness made.

It is crazy though that "The Last Legion" is all over the net before it's even out.

aecp
06-04-2007, 21:20
Yeah, it's a damned shame. A great show like Rome canceled in it's prime. They didn't even let them do the last two episodes so instead we got a rushed ending (still very good imo). And in the meantime 300 is an unequaled success and everyone is watching shit like CSI and reality TV. It really pisses me off since the same thing happened to both Carnivale and Deadwood, both infinitely superior to anything that's on TV nowadays except for Sopranos and The Wire (whenever that returns).

Philistines

Xtiaan72
06-04-2007, 21:24
I didn't realize they cut two episodes. What a shame. They definitely owed it to the fans to at least end it properly. I thought the end seemed a bit strange and now I know why.

blitzkrieg80
06-04-2007, 21:37
Ditto about Carnivale, Deadwood and Rome ~:( it sucks! any criticism those shows could have had was a result of having to sell out for the ignorant masses and they still got canceled!

the Wire and Sopranos might be good, but they are lazy- urban contemporary and the props/setting are thus cheap, how is that a rationale for cost-effectiveness? if HBO wants to keep that @!&* up then they can lose my subscription... reality tv is exactly the same: their rationale for existence is "why pay for writers/actors when you can have amateur/ "real people" sitting around making up dumb stuff and talking about their ignorant opinions"? well, don't we have daytime tv for that? do we really have to have trash 24/7... we might as well stop teaching history in school and begin classes about memorization of sports statistics.

The Celt
06-05-2007, 03:31
Yeah, it's a damned shame. A great show like Rome canceled in it's prime. They didn't even let them do the last two episodes so instead we got a rushed ending (still very good imo). And in the meantime 300 is an unequaled success and everyone is watching shit like CSI and reality TV. It really pisses me off since the same thing happened to both Carnivale and Deadwood, both infinitely superior to anything that's on TV nowadays except for Sopranos and The Wire (whenever that returns).

Philistines
Carnivale was good but being from the South/Central US I can say that pretty much everything in Deadwood is complete BS.:juggle2: Next time. Get actual Shoutherners/Flyover folks to write a story about themselves you stupid Coasters!(I put my drinks on your puny little faces! Ha!:laugh4: )

russia almighty
06-05-2007, 05:00
How could people not like Rome ? It had non stop sex , violence and more sex and violence .

Hell it could break into the fetish crowd with the incest thing.

blitzkrieg80
06-05-2007, 07:56
Seriously, who doesn't enjoy seeing the Attia character naked? ~:) I saw Lucius Vorenus' wife in a Skinamax-esque movie called Kama Sutra... that's one actress they should have shown nude more. Yes, I am a man-pig and proud of it :laugh4: seriously, though- Rome's initial sex scenes ruled! I'll never forget that first episode.

the Celt, you do realize that South Dakota is North and mid-West if anything? :beam:

The Celt
06-05-2007, 19:14
Seriously, who doesn't enjoy seeing the Attia character naked? ~:) I saw Lucius Vorenus' wife in a Skinamax-esque movie called Kama Sutra... that's one actress they should have shown nude more. Yes, I am a man-pig and proud of it :laugh4: seriously, though- Rome's initial sex scenes ruled! I'll never forget that first episode.

the Celt, you do realize that South Dakota is North and mid-West if anything? :beam:
Yes but still they paraded the show as a "wild western" drama!:embarassed: