PDA

View Full Version : Observation - Ransoming in 1.02

trickydicky
05-27-2007, 20:18
It works! At least it has for me just now, and I was so shocked I just thought I'd let someone know.

Current campaign overview.

Sicily on H/VH - 0.5 turns per year.

First few turns I shipped all of my available units and sent them off with my king to take Florence. Meanwhile sending my princess north to ally with the pope, and to "buy" Bologna off the HRE.

Long story short, I now own both :beam:

Three turns later Venice decides it might be fun to attack Bologna, with nowhere near enough men, upshot is they get sent home with their tales between their legs, and the pope excoms them. :laugh4:

After the popes hands have been suitably greased, a crusade is declared on Venice. While besieging the city, the Venetian King and Heir both turn up with a three quarter stack, to try to relieve the beleaguered defenders. A large battle ensues on the bridge outside the city.

After a hard fought slog, my men finally rout the Venetians off the field capturing both the King and heir in the process. After the battle I decided to try ransoming (because my treasury sorely needed it) and they paid, a wopping 18,541 Florins :dizzy2:

And this by turn 10! on 0.5 years a turn. Has anyone else had this sort of success so early on in a campaign, or is it just me?

FactionHeir
05-27-2007, 20:54
It always has worked, since 1.0. The only pre-req is that the AI can afford it and it feels it can need those units. Happy for you anyway ~:)

trickydicky
05-28-2007, 01:04
:embarassed:

Thanks for the heads up, it pays to check things first.

I usually execute prisoners so I hadn't really noticed before now.

Agent Smith
05-28-2007, 01:21
I never really was able to ransom effectively before, too, but like what was already said, that is more a function of the AI not saving any money. However, there are several factions that rake in the dough and don't use all of their cash because it comes in faster than they can spend it. The Danes are a perfect example. I ransom back family members all the time because they always seem to have the money to pay for it. So, if we're at war, I often go royal family hunting :beam: