PDA

View Full Version : Sweboz dominance

Sygrod
05-31-2007, 15:00
I am in the middle of a campaign and took a quick look at the AI factions via "toggle_fow"

Year is 223 BC and the faction with the largest area of control is Sweboz. They have had a complete run of Northern Europe. They are now neighbouring Sauromatae, Getai, Romani and Aedui (who have obliterated Arvernii). There is no Eleutheroi territory left in Europe, except one just west of the Getai.

Are there any plans of placing some "obstacles" to the East to slow things down for Sweboz a bit? Perhaps some stacks of strong Eleutheroi field armies. Playing Baktria, there are some seriously strong armies in the Eastern Eleutheroi provinces that have kept me out of there for many years.

Redmeth
05-31-2007, 15:21
From what I understand they get most their eastern territory via rebellions from either Getai or Sauromatae (The AI does use spies pretty effectively). So something should be done about the founding factions for these lands, either make sure that they rebel back only to the Eleutheroi or some to the Getai and some to the Sarmatians because the Sweboz then become stack-spawning monsters that shower you with stacks (money & merc scripts help but still...)
The Sarmatians kinda suck at maintaining order because of their mostly small units (because they're mostly cavalry) and their poorness thus they can't field too many units
So did the team think about this for the next release?
In one of my Romanii campaigns in 0.81 they had lands from the Belgae to, I kid you not, Gava-Alanna or Gava-Saka.

Teleklos Archelaou
05-31-2007, 15:37
It's a huge area that we have one faction as the creator/culture of. The best option is to think about EB2 where we have 10 new factions to add - to help divide up some of these places and provide a check here more for them. It's hard right now to slow them down in those rebel areas - you see how the romans are drawn to the region too, because no other faction is there. Having bigger rebel stacks in some places might help a little, but it's probably not a long term solution. We are helping nomad factions more in the next build, but it's probably not enough to cause significant gains in these western areas for them.

the_handsome_viking
06-01-2007, 11:44
It's sort of historically accurate in a way, the Germanic tribes afterall did win.

Watchman
06-01-2007, 12:28
Took them half a millenia though.

the_handsome_viking
06-01-2007, 13:00
Took them half a millenia though.

Slowly but surely.

Watchman
06-01-2007, 13:26
That's how the Romans built their empire too.

mlp071
06-01-2007, 16:12
It's a huge area that we have one faction as the creator/culture of. The best option is to think about EB2 where we have 10 new factions to add - to help divide up some of these places and provide a check here more for them. It's hard right now to slow them down in those rebel areas - you see how the romans are drawn to the region too, because no other faction is there. Having bigger rebel stacks in some places might help a little, but it's probably not a long term solution. We are helping nomad factions more in the next build, but it's probably not enough to cause significant gains in these western areas for them.

Well, in couple of my campaigns Sauroamate got to half way between them and Sweboz. Then they lost several provinces to Sweboz (by rebellion) in 2 turns and got owned.

If steppes get more happines buildings , there is possibility that occasionaly will be involved in that free space.Plus, i am almost sure that mercs that i remade it in those areas will help them slightly , without breaking the balance of the game

the_handsome_viking
06-01-2007, 19:47
That's how the Romans built their empire too.

The Romans wore fancy hats.

Watchman
06-01-2007, 20:51
The Germanics had dumber-looking hairdos.

the_handsome_viking
06-02-2007, 02:05
The Germanics had dumber-looking hairdos.

No way, the Romans had bowl cuts, the Germans had mullets.

Sarcasm
06-02-2007, 03:06
Does that mean that MacGyver was german?

the_handsome_viking
06-02-2007, 18:52
Does that mean that MacGyver was german?

It does.

Sygrod
06-04-2007, 00:05
I figured I'd post a screen shot showing the map as of 215 BC. Check out the Sweboz.

http://www.imagehoop.com/view_image/a57c01758/Baktr215.jpg

OK, where did the picture go? It is there when I edit the message..

blank
06-04-2007, 01:02
It does.

So is Solid Snake :jumping:

Anyway, from what i've seen the Sweboz usually collide with Romans sooner rather than later (because Romans have a ''thing'' for Scandinavia it seems), and they're quite busy with each other

Kralizec
06-04-2007, 12:09
Is it possible to use scripted rebel pop-ups like the ones in Iberia to slow down the Sweboz and Romani in their dash for eastern Europe?

the_handsome_viking
06-04-2007, 19:45
I figured I'd post a screen shot showing the map as of 215 BC. Check out the Sweboz.

OK, where did the picture go? It is there when I edit the message..

You must admit though, it's always nice to fight such an amazingly expansionist enemy.

the_handsome_viking
06-04-2007, 19:46
So is Solid Snake :jumping:

Anyway, from what i've seen the Sweboz usually collide with Romans sooner rather than later (because Romans have a ''thing'' for Scandinavia it seems), and they're quite busy with each other

They sort of always were colliding with everyone, it's just they progressivly got better and better at colliding with people and rolling right over them.

Why this exactly was, I suppose can be debated.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-05-2007, 00:03
Is it possible to use scripted rebel pop-ups like the ones in Iberia to slow down the Sweboz and Romani in their dash for eastern Europe?
This was being looked into a while back (to replace the starting generals that start dying around 230BC), but it is impossible to script a general inside of a city. When they are outside of the city they often wander off and die.

Sygrod
06-05-2007, 01:27
"When they are outside of the city they often wander off and die."

Well, even if they wander around, a large army of Eleutheroi can be very intimidating to a player (It worked on me) and can eliminate quite a few smaller AI armies.