PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and Modding

Comrade Zachariah
06-02-2007, 00:48
I've recently installed R:TW Gold Edition on my laptop which runs Windows Vista. I've played the original game as well as several mods, including EB and Chivalry. Up until just a couple of days ago, I always thought modding was something beyond me, but after looking at a couple of the tutorials provided here, I decided to do something on my own. I downloaded the all factions mod for v 1.5, and found out that Spain doesn't have an archer (or at least, I'm pretty sure it doesn't) so, I followed the guide to adding a unit in the Scriptorium.

Anyway, what happens is that I make the changes to a file and then attempt to save. Vista tells me "Can not create the C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\...." It also tells me to make sure the directory / files exist. So, I checked, and sure enough, read only was enabled. I disabled this feature, and attempted it again. Same problem occurred a second time. I am the administrator on my machine, so I don't know why it refuses to allow me to edit these files.

Any ideas, or is this yet another reason why I should hate Vista?

Thanks for your time,
-Comrade Zachariah

jfas
06-02-2007, 07:16
hi

i also run on window vista
same thing happen here

i try to think another idea

what i do is

let say u want to edit desc unit

copy one of it called desc unit ( the second one) paste it some where else
then u edit what u want it to be

after that copy this file that u edited paste it back inside the RTW directories

though its abit tedious , this one way to do it

Gandalf the White
06-02-2007, 21:02
This happens because you cannot edit files within Vista that are in program files this stops hackers and virus' thats why my mods are on my Desktop.

Comrade Zachariah
06-03-2007, 22:10
Alright, I'll do it that way. Thanks for the help guys, this new OS is driving me crazy...

Gandalf the White
06-04-2007, 16:15
It does to start with but once you know what your doing its ok.

Barbarossa82
06-10-2007, 01:45
You can stop this by disabling User Account Control (although this will also remove the UAC's positive security effects)