PDA

View Full Version : How do I merge two units of the same type into one?

Pooho22000
06-02-2007, 16:10
Hello,

I am newbie in RTW and in EB, which actually I started to play just two weeks ago, (unsuccesfully though....but this is another story relating to my command skills :laugh4: )

I would like to ask you the following, if of course it is possible to do in the EB:

Let's say that I have a unit A of 30 men and a unit B of 20 men of the same type as A in my army panel. How can I merge A and B into one single unit of 50 men, in order to free some space in the army panel and be able to recruit more units?

I tried to drag A and drop it on B pressing at the same type the "m" key, but nothing happens.

Which is the correct procedure that I have to follow?

Thank you all and forgive me for my silly question....

goolasso
06-02-2007, 16:26
Hello,

I am newbie in RTW and in EB, which actually I started to play just two weeks ago, (unsuccesfully though....but this is another story relating to my command skills :laugh4: )

I would like to ask you the following, if of course it is possible to do in the EB:

Let's say that I have a unit A of 30 men and a unit B of 20 men of the same type as A in my army panel. How can I merge A and B into one single unit of 50 men, in order to free some space in the army panel and be able to recruit more units?

I tried to drag A and drop it on B pressing at the same type the "m" key, but nothing happens.

Which is the correct procedure that I have to follow?

Thank you all and forgive me for my silly question....

drag and drop without pressing anything...

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
06-02-2007, 16:39
Yup, and the maximum number of soldiers in the unit cannot be exceeded, of course.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with EB!

Arkatreides
06-02-2007, 17:04
There is one case where this doesn't work and that is if you have one unit of mercenary and one of non-mercenary troops of the same type (they sometimes have the exact same unit icon but are actually two different units (internally)). That might be the problem you are experiencing.

keravnos
06-03-2007, 14:52
Yes, this is a known problem we are currently working on, aka the Merc units' UIs need to be discernable from the regular ones.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, too! :2thumbsup:

Alasdair
06-03-2007, 15:53
im a newb too, so i was wondering if your units will lose their experience if they do this, or will experience merge, or will the highest experience be kept or the lowest?

Bonny
06-03-2007, 16:20
im a newb too, so i was wondering if your units will lose their experience if they do this, or will experience merge, or will the highest experience be kept or the lowest?

the expierience will change, but i don't know the details..

Arkatreides
06-03-2007, 16:21

Experience is stored on a per soldier basis, so merging two units with different experience levels will create a new unit with average experience.

Sygrod
06-04-2007, 00:35
I have successfully used the merging to actually increase experience.

What I do is drag the the unit with highest experience onto a damaged unit of lesser quality. Sometimes one or even both will jump a level. Take the high experience unit and top up in a city and the chevrons stay in place.

Obelics
06-04-2007, 00:54
I have successfully used the merging to actually increse experience.

What I do is drag the the unit with highest experience onto a damaged unit of lesser quality. Sometimes one or even both will jump a level. Take the high experience unit and top up in a city and the chevrons stay in place.

well this is just the appearence, in reality nothing has changed, the units experience is based on the single men as sayd above.
In fact:

suppose you have this 2 units, one of 80 men and one of 40 men:

1) 80 men unit with 2 silver chevrons average (40 has 3 bronze chevrons and 40 has 1 gold chevron=2 silver chevrons average)
2) 40 men unit with 1 bronze chevrons

now you merge your 80 unit 1) in to your 40 unit 2).

it can occur you will obtain:

1) 40 unit with 1 gold chevron (has gained 2 chevrons!)
2) 80 unit with 2 bronze chevrons (has gained 1 chevron!)

it has happened that the 2 units has gained some chevrons, but why?
simple:

you could have copied just your 40 unit with 3 bronze chevrons from 1) in to your 40 unit with 1 bronze chevrons 2), so the unit you obtained has 2 bronze chevrons average
the remaining 40 men unit 1) has only units with 1 gold chevron, so apparently both have gained chevrons

the reality is that nothing has changed as you can see... only a different combination.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
06-04-2007, 03:11
Yeah, but what's up in battles? Does it still calculates every single man, or just the average? And when it calculates every man, where are they placed? The best to the front, or what?~:confused:

Wolfman
06-04-2007, 05:54
If i have units with low experience i just use the M key

Pooho22000
06-04-2007, 15:26
Thank you very much guys for your help!

And a lot of congratulations to all of you who sacrificed your precious time to create such a wonderful mod as this one!

chomskola
06-11-2007, 09:11
greetings

ummm..can you combine units that have different armour and weapons upgrades............

Watchman
06-11-2007, 09:13
Yes.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-11-2007, 09:39
greetings

ummm..can you combine units that have different armour and weapons upgrades............
It should give you the average armor/weapon ratings for the combined units, though many times that average is simply the armor/weapon rating the the least upgraded unit.