PDA

View Full Version : Whats yo style?

Veho Nex
06-12-2007, 18:23
I was having a discussion with one of my... uhhh brother's brother... and any ways we were discussing RTW and MTW2 playing styles and so he said he likes to turtle up then push out with a huge attack on all sides of his territory.

While i do minor skirmishes until they have about 400-500 men left that when i attack with head throwers hounds and archers with flaming arrows. This enables me to greatly decrease their moral until my tanks usually chosen axemen reach them and cut a bloody swath into their ranks.

I would just kind of like to know other peoples personal strategies.

Warmaster Horus
06-12-2007, 18:26
Me, in RTW Vanilla, I'm brutal, once ready. Kind of like your ... brother.

Veho Nex
06-12-2007, 18:41
bro's bro not related to me

Stuperman
06-12-2007, 19:06
I like to get established quickly, expanding to 7-10 settlements with in 10 years. Then I'll tech up a bit and start fielding large, powerful FS's and I'll generally only fight field or sally battles with thses armies. Either using them as support for a besieging army, or taking on enemy FS's while I have a smaller force besieging the city. I do my best to rotate generals around so that they all get decent combat expierence. I try and go through a mini campaign with the same FS and general, like Thermon, Athens, Corinth and Sparta all without re training. Then combine units, and retrain, 8-10 years (not turns) later put a new general (usually the junior general from the previous campaign)and hit Larissa, Thessalonica, Bylazora and Byzantium, wash, rinse, repeat.

Makes for very high exp armies very quickly. Which actually sucks if you get too far before the reforms kick in, at which point I split the FS in half and use the halfs as regional defence forces (field army?) camped somewhere central, or on a bridge.

KidFury
06-12-2007, 21:46
Well I used to be a Starcraft player (and will definetly be an SC2 player) so I am always either attacking or expanding.

I always spend almost all of my money either building troops or upgrading towns which are usually heavily specialized as economy or troop building.

I am also always constantly scouting and once I get assassins they never get a vacation. My diplomats on the other hand tend to get underused

Afkazar
06-12-2007, 22:57
Well first i never like listening to anyone.
I hate the senate and the pope.
This is why I often stay away from roman and christian armys during campaigns(hacked to get leucids there were my first campaign army)

Personally I love to go on the offensive. Though in my selecuid game my byzantium literally fought like some 10 battles vs invading thracians and macedonians.

My armys main resistance was the eygptian to the south
I think i kinda sent an army and hit alexandria and all the cities around there with ease. They quickly crumbled.

As soon as I hit rome though it got pretty easy. I think i had massed a hlaf chariot half cataphract army and began to slice from athens and greece towards rome.

One of my important moves in rome total war was naval domination. by the time i took on rome i made sure i made a good fleet.I think i had 5 quinquiremes.They all got gold pretty fast.

Veho Nex
06-12-2007, 23:53
Well folks talking to my friends i found out a new strategy that is suprisingly easy to use and very effective. My friend referred to this as the jugular strategy and i tested it out for 50 turns. Not very many i know. Anyways what you do is you have a fodder army sit up against your bored in the enemy territory then you move a very small elite force of men and besiege a city, though extremely far behind enemy lines.(preferably a spec. unit city or high income city) when you take it you slaughter the populace then leave and let them have it back. What this does is lowers city level destroys income or Spec unit production. any ways try it out and see how it works

Fate
06-13-2007, 00:26
In my current campaign as the Armenians, my main armies have consisted of Horse Archers, and cataphracts.
I always prefer using cavalry heavy armies, and so going as Armenia was a brilliant choice.

In my campaigns, particuarly with factions based near the sea, i like to take large port and trading cities that have sea connections, that way when i got the inevitable war with whatever neighbour i have on land, ive always got income via sea. Unfortunately this is not the case in my current campaign however.

As Armenia, im at war with the Ptolmics, Scythia, Parthia, Selucia, Thrace and the Greek Cities.
I only actually attacked the Ptolmics, and Parhia.
Instead im stuck with no trade!

Shieldmaiden
06-13-2007, 00:47
I'm incredibly aggressive and expansive, never turtle, and use any Morale reducing effects I can, especially with Factions like Britannia - I favour swift Chariots or Cavalry Archers, and ranged things like Head Hurlers and Flaming Arrows, coupled with Charges and Wardogs to break enemy Morale :skull:

I like to concentrate on building up Trade and Ports, etc to support my Armies. I've yet to recruit Urban Cohorts or Praetorian Cavalry or a few other top Units due to this, frankly never needed them :dizzy2:

Note: I've just started my very first BI Campaign, and am happily smashing up and besieging the WRE as the Saxons :smash:

IrishArmenian
06-13-2007, 05:29
I play aggressively, with cavalry and cavalry-archer based armies. I mostly start out with small, maneouverable stacks that I can sorround enemy armies with and have a shooting gallery with all my reinforcements. After said storm of arrows is gone, a few cataphract charges finish whatever is left of the sad, sad opposition.

I, too, make sure to plan my attacks so that the settlements I take usually
1) Serve as a base of operations
2) Serve as income producing cash factories

As Shieldmaiden does, I also try to build up my economy with roads/ports/farms and the economic lot, however, I still need to balance that with my military agenda.

I generally try to avoid large confrontations, especially with the Romans. This can be achieved by shoot-withdraw tactics (with armies waiting to cover the turn-based map retreat) and spies.

Severous
06-13-2007, 07:24
I am like the two posters above.

Rapid expansion, and building for money/order benefit. Highest tax.

Rarely build military buildings. Capture what I need. Means i play most of the time with basic first level units.

I aim to be done within 20 years.

guineawolf
06-14-2007, 12:25
i love to play overwhelming style(Saladin style=always come with full reserve of men=get my population up first,and full supply of cash=economy always come in force and only when i am well prepared)

i love to use the with use of cheapest upkeep troops like militia hoplite,auxilia and mix of light cavalry,since i am using cheapest upkeep troops,then i can always provide my assault troops with reinforcement.Always got at least 5000 troops in a single army.With seleucids Hephaestus temple,i can get militia hoplites with 10 attack,13 defense and 4 morale,with a good general(at least 5 stars),they even can defeat legion.(i oredi do it in my Thrace campaign,coz falxmen too expensive for my tiny Thracian economy and so many enemy,phalanxe pikemen?dun think about it,bastarnae?still dun have enough facility to supply for my 3 army group,and since militia hoplites can do the job and my populations growth are increasing faster than my denariis,why dun use it?)

varuna
06-14-2007, 17:59
I prefer to occasional skirmishing to distrupt any enemy plan to lunch any full scale invasion while recruit every available military forces in order to lunch my own offensive force.

During battle i prefer to wore out the enemy by leting them come to me instead charging them head on.

paul_kiss
06-22-2007, 21:49
My style is counter-attacking.

Plus I don't have many types of units in an army. I define the most cruel infantry, archers, and cav, and build my forces' backbone with them.

Lysander13
06-23-2007, 16:15
I'm a very slow and methodical player. As i like to build my economy and infrastructure first and at the same time allowing the AI to so as well. This allows me of course to field some very elite type armies later on in the game. (Not many because their expensive of course... but enough) Intelligence a.k.a. spies also plays a very vital role in my method of playing as i by "house rules" never openly attack anyone. Rather i let the AI make the declaration of war sort of speak by attacking me but i'm usually well aware of the AI's "intention" by use of spies which of course enables me to see where the AI's deploying it's army and allows me to counter as it's relative to the enemy position and composition. As for battle tactics i'm a straight "Hammer and Anvil" guy but put to very effective use the Thureophoroi, Thorakitai, and Peltastai which allows me a great deal of battlefield flexibility to go along with the aforementioned style of "Hammer and Anvil". Obviously i'm a Hellenistic player and i'm speaking of how i play Europa Barbororum and not Vanilla RTW which honestly i barely remember what is like. After EB you can never go back.

Zasz1234
06-26-2007, 14:04
I like playing cavalry heavy using speed and maneuverability over brute force when possible. That's why I love playing Carthage :yes: . It makes beating factions like tha Romans and other infantry heavy factions are the more fun and difficult. So it always comes down to breaking morale and hitting them where they least expect it. Strategy-wise the last ditch gamble is always best. Sneaking an army behind enemy lines and sacking their capital when they are whooping you at home or stalemated is always fun.

RickFGS
06-26-2007, 20:19
I like to:

1st - Roads/markets/Ports, concentrate all troops into an army with the faction leader and go straitght to biggest city in population near me.

2st - Siege cities, never attack in the beggining of game unless the defenses are really sucky, losing 4-8 turns on the siege while upgrading my economy.The siege allows you to take a city many times without fighting meaning no losses or minimall losses allowing you to go to the next big city and so on.

3rd - With the money from big cities make secundary armies to rip out smaller cities/towns

4th - Automanage everything always at the end of a turn and set to "save money" this will generate almost +50% money profits then leaving things on manually.

5th - Build 2 extra diplomats and sent them in galleys to 2 different directions to minimize the time it takes to get trade rights with all factions in the map

Beyonder
06-27-2007, 23:22
I start by sending out spies, then assassins. Lots of assassins. Then I start picking off the big fish by targeting him with all the assassins I could pay for, and after that, send in the big guns. I just love my assassins... In most campaigns I play, my emperor gets a 'Killer' title, somewhere allong the line... lol

Greacia_Roma
06-30-2007, 18:23
My fav faction is britannia and i love to do what i call the barbarian reforms. I always take over europe (spain gaul garmany greeceDacia) then i go for rome after rome i only use chosen swordsmen or units who look and act slightly civilized. Its awsome.

Zanar
07-01-2007, 23:58
My style is the overrated but effective Roman sledgehammer. Just all out brute
force (gotta love urban cohorts and legionary first cohorts). I utilize both
shear military number and the strength of the units i use. Doing this can be
be quite expensive though, so i build only 2 main forces, one that will go out
on campaign, while the other protects the homefront/key provinces. Good
relations is always needed with my neighbors so no one backstabs me. Also
lots of diplomats to bribe off invading armies if good relations happen to fail

All in all, military supremacy makes up my style. it's true numbers don't mean
everything in a battle, but if used properly, it's a force to be reckoned with :wall:

https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/MattPowell/1182774379747.jpg

RickFGS
07-02-2007, 18:49
Omg, a human carried mini-gun!!! My phalanx can´t block this! This is madness!

Zanar
07-02-2007, 19:08
Omg, a human carried mini-gun!!! My phalanx canĀ“t block this! This is madness!
this isn't madness, THIS IS ROMAN!!!! *kick*

RickFGS
07-04-2007, 06:35
this isn't madness, THIS IS ROMAN!!!! *kick*

Lololz :laugh4:

gaiusjulii
07-18-2007, 16:24
to be honest I am offence defence player I will often strike at a small settlement and exterminate of my chosen faction then I will withdraw to a bridge or mountain pass and let them come, destroying their armies in set peice battles on my grounds and then going in and besieging their minor armies and astrave them out, I will expand quickly taking 5-10 provinces at first and then turtle up to tech up, then I will do a Sauron build and build and build until i can build no more troops usually on a minus by this point and then a great surge in one direction ie taking all of gaul or spain within 10 turns and then cycle repeats, SPies i rely on heavily assasins are a waste of time unless your taking out spies or diplomats... and the Navy is key part of my strategy, if i take the north I will blockade every egyptian port to slow them down considerably other wise theyll have Asia minor and the middle east before you can blink

Caius
07-19-2007, 22:33
Units..March! --- My stile

It depends. I let the AI build, I take care of the battlefield. Im a very bad commander, so I lose much troops in a simple battle.

But I conquer, conquer, conquer

Sonicdahedgie
07-23-2007, 00:40
I turtle and slowly move out, in most cases. If the enemy is attacking me, I'll blockade all ports possible, and just defend, really.

I did turtling for the first part of my scipii campaign. Which worked, up until I got to the desert areas. my full stacks were attack multitudes of times before reaching the cities.

I created my defend-and-blockade strategy, I've been doing spectacularly against egypt. I sent in two full stacks, one to the north, (taking Halicissus) and the other to the south, (taking Memphis). Both cities were equipped with enough advanced to retrain my units. Egypt keeps sending stack after stack to take back the cities, and continuously fail. Retrain units, and wait for the next turn.

Plus, Rhodes is close enough to resupply both cities if needed.

Genaral Julis
07-26-2007, 17:10
I use crushing numbers and grand city's to crush my foes none can stand against my mighty war machine and if they do, I'll just send a leigon of urban cohorts there way.

Nik00117
08-07-2007, 12:52
I play big army style, I am also gather information using a network of dips and spies before any attack. Before my attack on Scipi I had sent spies to spy on their armies to get informaton on them etc. Which allowed me to take out several of thei rlarger important forces without much of a struggle.

I also like to plan ahead, in my invasion of Italy I began building my invading army 25 years before I even started the civil war.

bedlam28
08-07-2007, 15:24
I always use the natural breaks of the map as my borders;
As Greece I've gone East upto Kotais and Artaxia, using the mountains to protect my line and taken all of Pontiac to the mountain pass at Antioch. So now I can safely attack Egypt. = Pontiac Armenia and Selucids destroyed.
North I've cleared the way to Bylazore and Tylis, = Macadon destroyed
West is all of Italy as far as Massalia and Patavium. All Romans destroyed - horrah.
Now all my borders are secure. and there is a lovely Grey belt across the world.( just need to kill the Germans and Brits to get to the other end of the map. )

Top Tip; Using a stack of horse archers the Greeks get, 1 stack per Area ( 1 for italy, 1 for pontiac 1for greece etc) they thunder around their areas destroying all the Rebels, saving my army for the real work.

Now I Finally have my Spartans !! 1 stack is heading to Carthage to take Africa and Spain. Other stack is heading to Alexandria to move through Egypt.

:2thumbsup:

Naufragar
08-07-2007, 17:03
I always and only expand one front at a time. (Playing Greece was very hard for me.) In terms of armies, I'm not terribly subtle, more of the pin 'em and kill 'em. As far as actual strategies goes, I dislike exterminating and pulling out: I don't think I'd do it if I were said general. But ruthlessness is a go.

Everything, everything depends on production- just cranking out them troops. I'll sacrifice half stacks for a strategic advantage. Basically, as long as you can outproduce your enemy, you win. If in every battle they lose 100 guys and I lose 200, but I'm producing 300 and their producing 100, I'll win. This is why it's critical to focus your efforts. Getting attacked on all sides doesn't really work for me. (Oh and watchtowers are the most underrated tools in the game.)

Incontineta Buttox
08-08-2007, 10:03
I am finding that I tend to take my time. I will secure my existing provinces before I go on a conquest, as I do not like over extending myself too much.

I also do this to enable the other factions to build up a bit more which makes for more of a challenge for me.

I am currently early into a Greek campaign, and it is winter 267BC. I have not expanded beyond my original territories yet, although Crete is under siege from a small expiditionary force from Sparta, which was all I could spare. So that will be the first province I will have captured. Next I will move onto Helicarnassus and Athens, when I am fully ready.

Sonicdahedgie
08-08-2007, 19:03
Naufragar
Aye, multiple fronts do not work well for me. This is why I make sure I decimate my enemy before moving anywhere else.

If I ever do have multiple fronts, I'll do something like this:

I'll have all of North Africa, and I want to make war on Egypt. But I notice that Carthago Nova has rebelled. I can take it without pissing off anyone, so I do. I take that, then go into Egypt. Maybe Spain bitches with me, and we go to war. I use Carthage Nova as my military station for the entire front, and expand from that. It's rare that I'll bother sending troops over by ship. I'll only ship Assassins, Spies, or Generals by boat. I refrain from send extra troops. If I can't hold it using with just that city, I normally don't bother.

And I use watch towers ALL the time. Can't live without them. But it sucks having to ship Generals over to Anitoch from Capua just to build them.

Incontineta Buttox
Ah, a slow expander? I am only slow at expanding right after I destroy a faction. Then I go to war with someone else, and my war machine slowly gains momentum. Massive momentum, I might add.

Before the civil war, I tried peacefully taking settlements by using Assassins and Spies to get them to rebel. Then, I would quickly take the city with my nearby army. It worked okay, but I eventually got stuck because none of the other Julii or Brutii cities would revolt. Even with 5% or 0% public order, they wouldn't revolt! So, I got pissed, booted the Brutii off of Italy, and now the Julii have about three family members left. I'm concentrating on the Brutii, as the Julii I can kill off at any time.