PDA

View Full Version : XP Home network

Pannonian
06-23-2007, 01:43
Internet computer with ADSL connection, running WinXP Home.
Laptop running WinXP Home.
Switch.
2 x cat5 cables.

Switch plugged in, both computers connected to switch. Internet computer set up using wizard to be the network's internet connection. Laptop set up using wizard to access internet via gateway. Both computers are in the workgroup MSHOME.

Laptop can see itself and its shared folders in My Network Places. However, internet computer cannot see itself in My Network Places, though it can connect to the internet readily enough - it can see the workgroup MSHOME, but there's nothing in it. Also, it takes a REALLY long time to load up My Computer, as if pinging for devices it's expecting but can't find. I've tried disabling the Sygate firewall, but it still can't see itself.

On the ICS LAN connection, MS network client (or whatever it's called), File and Printer sharing and TCP/IP are installed, plus some others whose names I don't recognise.

LeftEyeNine
06-23-2007, 01:46
Did you try assigning static IPs for the connected PCs, by manually entering them into the related boxes in TCP/IP properties ?

TevashSzat
06-23-2007, 03:04
Well I didn't know what the most of the stuff you posted was talking about, but check this. Get two copies of a game that you know has previously worked at LAN in your home on your connection. Starcraft is a good game since you can install spawns and see if you can do Lan with the firewall off. If it works then your Lan works and the problem is probably about seeing the stuff if it doesn't then it means the network isnt working properly.

Also btw, check to see if you have windows firewall on because that can hinder your connection too.

Xiahou
06-23-2007, 05:25
So, if I understand correctly, you have both computers on the Internet successfully? If so, you're TCP/IP settings should be ok. It probably has to do with name resolution for your local PCs. Try typing "\\IPAdress\sharename" at the run prompt on your PCs and see if they can reach shared folders on each other. I always hate trying to share anything on XPHome clients- such a nightmare. Give me XPPro any day.

*As a side note, I really recommend dedicated routers over desktop routers. They're cheap, easy to configure and relatively secure.

Husar
06-23-2007, 14:42
Are the firewalls configured properly? Did you try what LEN said or did you turn on DHCP in the switch? I can think of so many potential problems, since I've had such problems in our family network here numerous times. if you set static IPs, that will also allow you to try to ping the other computer, if that works, you should control firewall settings and whether windows is set to give file access etc.Without giving file access to other computers, they may not show up at all in your network.

Pannonian
06-23-2007, 19:56
I've managed to solve this problem by using a static IP address, as LEN suggested. Fanxies for that.

LeftEyeNine
06-23-2007, 20:09
:2thumbsup:

caravel
06-23-2007, 22:17
For a LAN of only two PCs using Windows ICS you don't need the switch, only a crossover cable to connect one PC to the other.

RickFGS
06-29-2007, 21:38
He doesnt the need it to play on lan, but to play on the internet with both computers, you need the switch to "divide" the network otherwise when you join games like rome on-line both the players will be frozed when it gets to deployment phase since there will be 2 connections with the same ip adress.

And this is probably what he as in mind, the static ip´s will do the trick as long as he doesnt use the same static ip for the same computer, just get your laptop on static ip and let the desktop find one automatically.

If you dont have a switch you can trick the internet connection with a proxy, of course the working ones are rare, and a pain in the head to keep it working the hole time...