PDA

View Full Version : New feature idea for .Org Battle Royale Mark III

Myrddraal
07-31-2007, 23:43
In the last Battle Royale, turns had no real length of time. Turns just came one after the other. There was no idea of time passing, no idea of what time of day it was.

My idea to bring a new feature to the next game is this:

Each day is divided into 8 turns: 6 day phases and 2 night phases.
For every 3 turns awake, the player must sleep one turn.
During those turns the player can do minor actions where they are but cannot move.
It is possible to skip sleep, or sleep less, but this will reduce your abilities.

1 turn of sleep gives you 3 turns of full strength
2 turns of sleep gives you 6 turns of full strength
anything more still only gives you 6 turns of full strength (lazy pigs)
You don't need extra sleep to recuperate if you stay awake too long.

Pros:
It adds two new dimensions to the game.
1. Sleeping is dangerous, but missing sleep is dangerous too.
2. Different times of day bring different conditions (At night it's dark etc)
Cons:
It recommends inactivity

Personally I think it would be a good idea, but I'd like to hear the opinions of those who are likely to sign up for the next game.

Cheers

Orb
08-01-2007, 00:14
I like it.

Tran
08-01-2007, 00:33
I said Gah! because I demand complete real-life features :sunny:

Myrddraal
08-01-2007, 01:13
So who's the clever person who voted: "I like the basic idea, but you should change it slightly (see my post below)"

Because I see no post... :inquisitive: I should have made this poll public

pevergreen
08-01-2007, 02:11
^^

It was the closest i could relate to

busy now

RoadKill
08-01-2007, 03:09
I like the idea, but thats a little complicated to understand I had to read it over about 3 times to understand a little ( or maybe I'm just stupid )
But maybe you should just simplify it, for example The whole game has about like 10 turns. Turn 1 is Day 1, Turn 2 is Night 1, Turn 3 is Day 3, Turn 4 is Night 4, and so on. And the player will only be able to last 1 day and 1 night without sleep, and maybe, if your not lucky someone awake can kill you in your sleep. Also Mryd, can i pllleaassee co-host the next one, like help with the write ups and stuff. pllleasssee.

Myrddraal
08-01-2007, 03:11
Sure Roadkill, I gave you msn but haven't seen you...

Killfr3nzy
08-01-2007, 03:11
^^
I agree with Roadkill.

Myrddraal
08-01-2007, 03:13
The thing is, I want more day turns than night turns, or else people will get too inactive...

How about:

3 day rounds (Morning, Afternoon, Evening)
1 night round

If you don't sleep at least once a day, you loose ability.

Killfr3nzy
08-01-2007, 03:18
So you have to sleep at least once every four rounds?

Caius
08-01-2007, 03:26
And you add a special thing you can make the guy fall asleep more sooner.

And battles should variate.

f.e. If 2 fight a battle in the night, it should not be the same in the morning, but I think its complicated.

RoadKill
08-01-2007, 04:45
Guys, keep things simple as possible when u make it too complicated people lose intrest. Maybe we could do Turn 1 Morning 1, Turn 2 Evening 1, Turn 3 Night. And Mrydall people can still do stuff at night, maybe you could give the player his choice of what time he can sleep. Maybe he would like to preform actions at night and sleep during the day. So for every three turns, you must sleep once. And if your dont sleep, God will do bad things to you, for example if you do not sleep for 1 turn during 3 turns, you will eithre pass out, unable to move, or must sleep for 2 turns, and if you encounter an enemy you surly lose.

You could have items like sleeping pills that you cna drug others forcing them to sleep 2 turns, or Energry Drinks that allow you to not sleep for 4 turns or something like that. That would be quite intresting.

CountArach
08-01-2007, 05:32
I like the idea, but there should be more day periods and perhaps another night period.

pevergreen
08-01-2007, 08:40
I am more for the original idea than the alternatives at this point.

Twilightblade
08-01-2007, 08:48
I think that having 3 day turns and 2 night turns would work as there could be a before midnight and after midnight meaning that you could get some sleep but still use the darkness to your advantage to do something if you want.

Sarathos
08-01-2007, 09:17
I think you should go for balance,

3 days phases
3 night phases
and sleep in between

Twilightblade
08-01-2007, 09:20
in between what? Please explain your post a bit more sarathos

RoadKill
08-01-2007, 09:56
I still like my idea, makes things easier but more fun at the same time.

TinCow
08-01-2007, 12:05
3 days phases
3 night phases

I like this as well, but would prefer only 1 sleep period per 6 turns. 1 per 4 is a rather large amount of turns dedicated to sleeping. No one is going to want to sleep on the first three turns, which means that everyone is going to fall asleep on turn 4 of the game. If there are 6 turns, people will start to vary their sleep cycles a lot more. Plus, having multiple night turns will allow for people to utilize 'night fighting' techniques and make use of weapons like a night vision scope. You may find some people sleeping in the day and attacking at night, which will increase some tension.

Two sleeping turns are likewise too much for the game, especially with 6 turns or less, since that's essentially 1/3 of your turns sleeping. I think 1 in 6 is realistic as well. People are fighting for their lives, so they will be jacked up on adrenalin. They won't need as much sleep to keep them going for the few days that the game lasts.

sapi
08-01-2007, 12:39
I concur with TinCow.

I don't want to be sleeping too much at all.

Personally, I'd be for a system of three day phases (morning, afternoon, evening) and two night phases (late evening, early morning), with one phase of sleep required every two days (ten turns).

I'd see a slight depreciation in stats over this time (ie although you could stay up nine turns straight, you wouldn't be as effective in combat near the end) to encourage strategic sleeping ~:)

As an extension of this, I'd suggest that weapon stats have a day and a night value (the latter reflecting lower visibility for ranged weapons; or special attachments such as infrared).

As always, Myrdd, good luck.

If I die early, I'm around to pick the game up for a turn or so if necessary; though I admire your writing enough that I don't want to see that happen :grin2:

RoadKill
08-01-2007, 14:33
I would just like to announce Mydrall and I are co-hosting .Org Battle Royale Mark III, so if everyone could join that it would be appreciated were aiming for 32 players.