PDA

View Full Version : Turns per year, seasons and all

Patriote
08-23-2007, 22:27
I asked this question in a post concerning castra and watchtowers but I received no answer:no:

So I wanted to know if it would be possible then easy or difficult to make each year lasts 8 turns instead of 4 and logically, each season lasts 2 turns.

Also, since the game engine seems capable of detecting some situations happening to armies, just like seasonal restrictions, would it be possible to include movement restrictions for armies moving through enemy territories ??

And why is it possible to have admirals gaining traits but not captains ?? :inquisitive:

Thanks for any help :2thumbsup:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-23-2007, 23:01
It is not an easy task to do. I'm not sure on the scripting details, though.

As for this part:

And why is it possible to have admirals gaining traits but not captains ?? :inquisitive:
Ask CA. It frustrates us all...

Patriote
08-23-2007, 23:06
Let me guess... it's harcoded in the game engine and CA decided to remove it even though it was a feature present in both STW and MTW :smash:

Lol would it be possible to have "land admirals" instead of captains ?? Than just changing the rank Admiral to reflect the proper titles for each faction. Probably not hehe :clown:

Sassem
08-23-2007, 23:20
So I wanted to know if it would be possible then easy or difficult to make each year lasts 8 turns instead of 4 and logically, each season lasts 2 turns.

I don't know if you ever had a look at the script it is in size 5.27 mb for a text file i find that quit big and i have seen people asking to turn it back to the old 2 turns a year and the answer was that everything has to be rewritten and that it will be a lot of work to do that my guess is that's the same for making a 8 turn script

Atilius
08-23-2007, 23:46

I suppose it's possible, but it'd be very difficult and time-consuming to carry out. The script makes explicit reference to turn numbers in several places: these would all have to be changed. The 4TPY part of the script would be easy to fix, but everything else would be troublesome. In addition, the historical events and disasters would have to be redone. Traits are also a significant issue, and probably the hardest of all to deal with.

I don't know if you ever had a look at the script it is in size 5.27 mb...
..And it'll be at least a couple of megs larger for the next release: Woohoo!

Patriote
08-23-2007, 23:58
Aaahhh that's too bad :no:

Thanks for the reply anyways :2thumbsup:

I just felt that having 6 turns with which to carry wars and invasions and then 2 turns where troops caught unprepared for supply would suffer heavy morale penalties would have made the game even more enjoyalbe and realist, well at least for me :yes:

Foot
08-24-2007, 00:56
Aaahhh that's too bad :no:

Thanks for the reply anyways :2thumbsup:

I just felt that having 6 turns with which to carry wars and invasions and then 2 turns where troops caught unprepared for supply would suffer heavy morale penalties would have made the game even more enjoyalbe and realist, well at least for me :yes:

You wouldn't be able to have two "winter" turns anyway. Winter has special hardcodes that decide lots of things to do with the passing of years (and thus the ageing of characters). Characters would age one year for each "winter" turn. Having two "winter" turns means that characters would age two years for every one year that passed.

Foot

Atilius
08-26-2007, 13:48
You wouldn't be able to have two "winter" turns anyway. Winter has special hardcodes that decide lots of things to do with the passing of years (and thus the ageing of characters).
There's a dirty trick to sort of get around this. It turns out that
console_command season fall
partly works, as does "spring". For both, the season icon that appears is the snowflake, but there's no snowcover, and characters never age at the end of the turn.

Note that if you try to put "tuesday" or "dude" in place of "fall", characters will age at the end of every other turn.

Foot
08-26-2007, 15:27
Nice.

Foot