PDA

View Full Version : Can't ask for alliance...EVER

Lucius_Sulla
08-27-2007, 19:01
This has to be a bug. Alliance is never an option in the diplomacy screen. Am I doing something wrong. I have simply sent my diplomat to another diplomat or city, but alliance is not in the screen for me to click. I have seen this in Vanilla RTW Gold edition with BI installed. Has anyone else seen this?

SSJVegetaTrunks
08-27-2007, 19:20
I believe that if the faction is someone that one of your allies is at war with, you can't offer an alliance.

GeneralHankerchief
08-27-2007, 20:08
Are you aligned with the Rebels? Allying with them (and yes, it can happen) will wreck any chances you have of aligning up with anybody else.

SSJVegetaTrunks
08-27-2007, 20:09
How do you ally with the rebels?

Stuperman
08-28-2007, 18:37
Destroy a faction who has a diplomat, they go rebel.

Also I think that if a faction is allied to one you are at war with then the alliance option won't show up.

gaiusjulii
08-29-2007, 16:11
I believe that if the faction is someone that one of your allies is at war with, you can't offer an alliance.

totally correct it drove me up the wall trying to work this out. but trust me dont worry alliances are worth Jack S. the most important thing is to get trade agreements and maps anythign isnt worht the hassle IMO

TruePraetorian
09-02-2007, 00:51

that is actually not true...

I believe what it is is your standing with the faction. This is based on many things, from the descr_strat folder's base standings, how many aliances you keep, break, etc.

I have had numerous times factions (such as greeks) ally with me even though my allies (macedonians) were at war. It results in a ceasfire between the two factions...If you want to do this sell them your map information alot, trade, give gifts, and have a high ranking diplomat. Also, try talking to their capital.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-02-2007, 07:38
Hmm, sorry to disagree TruePraetorian, but I'm not sure if that is the case. On many occasions, I have aligned with a faction who my ally is at war with. The ally then sensibly concluded their alliance with me and continued fighting. I have seen it go the way you have described though, which probably indicates that the AI has a choice on whether he wishes to retain friendship or not.
I believe that if the faction is someone that one of your allies is at war with, you can't offer an alliance.I don't think that is the case, although no research has gone into the disappearing alliance button. I have daubed it a bug, but more experienced players may be able to confirm it as something different.

SSJVegetaTrunks
09-03-2007, 15:22
I'm almost 100% sure of this. Also I think I heard something about it a looooooong time ago about how it only began with a certain patch.

Lord_Tamerial
09-17-2007, 01:22
Hmm, sorry to disagree TruePraetorian, but I'm not sure if that is the case. On many occasions, I have aligned with a faction who my ally is at war with. The ally then sensibly concluded their alliance with me and continued fighting. I have seen it go the way you have described though, which probably indicates that the AI has a choice on whether he wishes to retain friendship or not. i never that an ally fight an ally and both of them remain my friend. One always goes neutral. I never knew the A.I. had a choice in that manner.