PDA

View Full Version : Question: Paying for units and buildings

JZ Temple
08-22-2002, 16:52
I've looked through the manual but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I understand that construction on a unit or building cannot start till money is available, but for items taking more than one year to complete, is the cost spread over the time of construction, or is all the money due up front?

Target
08-22-2002, 17:11
Heya.

The entire cost of constructing the building is deducted from your treasury as soon as construction begins. If a castle costs 8000 to build and takes 16 years, the full 8000 will be charged in year 1.

------------------
Quote MagyarKhans Cham:
i even suspect Target is coming here to hype things up.[/QUOTE]

DoJo MoJo I
08-22-2002, 21:24
Do you know if all or any part of the cost is refunded to the Treasury if you cancel the building in progress ?

Target
08-22-2002, 21:57
Well, it works out sort of like this:

You've paid a stonemason to do a job, and you pay him up front for it. Say you ask him to build you a fort and he says it'll take 8 years and cost you 1000 florins. You pay him the 1000 florins.

Now the mason doesn't spend all the money at once - he spends it consistantly over the 8 years.

After 2 years, for whatever reason you decide to abandon work on the fort. The mason gives you back the money he hasn't spent yet (a three quarters of the initial outlay, which works out at 750 florins) and razes the building to the ground.

Once the building has gone past the halfway point of construction, it's actually going to cost you more to abandon building it than it would to wait for construction to finish and then destroy it, because you get half the initial cost of the building back if you get rid of it once it's completed.

Edited cos I felt like changing something.

------------------
Quote MagyarKhans Cham:
i even suspect Target is coming here to hype things up.[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Target (edited 08-22-2002).]

JZ Temple
08-22-2002, 23:38
Quote Originally posted by Target:
Once the building has gone past the halfway point of construction, it's actually going to cost you more to abandon building it than it would to wait for construction to finish and then destroy it, because you get half the initial cost of the building back if you get rid of it once it's completed.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Target, for the first answer and this interesting bit as well.