PDA

View Full Version : My favorite faction!!

ElmarkOFear
08-24-2002, 02:44
I have just found my favorite faction!!! The Almohad faction pronounced Elmo-Head!! Everybody loves the ElmoHead faction!! I wonder if their faction color is red? Hmmm let me go check . . . HEHE

Lord Krazy
08-24-2002, 03:38
no I think it's yellow lol.

All hail elmo king of the bootleggers.

Lord Krazy.

Vanya
08-24-2002, 03:55
Quote Originally posted by Lord Krazy:
no I think it's yellow lol.

All hail elmo king of the bootleggers.

Lord Krazy.[/QUOTE]

Its ORANGE. GAH!

The color of stomach contents from an ulcerated bastid caused by drinking too much of Elmo's fine 'shine...

GAH!

Come to think about it... now that we not in Japan anymore (where's Toto?)... Vanya plans to substitute the sake vat for a nice supply of Elmo 'shine.

Do ya offer a bulk discount when buying by the tonnage?

Vanya would then use the money saved to pay for faster delivery, using the delivery boys with Nike contracts... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

GAH!

ElmarkOFear
08-24-2002, 11:51
Elmo has a tanker being routed your way Vanya you may pick it up at the nearest wharf and use the code word "GAH!" when asking around for it. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

TheLordofWater
08-25-2002, 01:08
the byzintines DOMINATE EASTERN EUROPE in the early age...... they start with a citadel lol

Emp. Conralius
08-25-2002, 03:18
I like the Spanish. But whats up with the Almughavars? I guess they didn't make it in.

RageMonsta
08-25-2002, 03:46
ElmoHead!...oooeeer sounds a bit nudge nudge wink wink....you know...a..

Password? GAH!.....it'll never catch on good idea Elmo.

What has happened to the ButtYaAsMuchAsLookAtYa faction from Glasgow...they will be missed.

BTW...Glasgow is not pronounced GlasGow as in ou like in ouch.....it is Glasgo as in GO.
And if your a Tartan Type person from the region its sounds like Glasgi as in GI.

So its either GlasGO or GlasGI.....
just my hands across the water help for the traveling American.. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Warmaker
08-25-2002, 14:01
So far I'm having a blast with the Byzantine Empire. I'm in the high Middle Ages and starting kind of sucks... However, retaking Constantinople was the first order of the day.

Just the idea of regaining the Roman Empire was good enough to select it.

My other points for picking the Byzantines:
- The Kataphractoi Hvy.Cavalry are slow but will break the enemy. Not to mention the very heavy armor and great charges.
- Byzantine Hvy.Infantry. My Kataphractoi get alot of the glory but the Byzantine Hvy.Infantry is the meatgrinder of opposing enemy armies. Plus, they only cost 175...
- Constantinople, if it's in your hands, is the jewel of all the cities from what I've seen. Not to mention at a strategic chokepoint.
- The bad thing is, everyone looks at their lands for wealth.

------------------
There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

Warmaker
08-26-2002, 11:25
Update to my take on the Byzantines. At the beginning at the Early Middle Ages, the Byzantine force selection is top of the line. With some investment you can get Kataphractoi, some really powerful and VERY heavily armored cavalry. For early in the game that's a huuge plus from my standpoint, where it'll take time for other European empires to get up to that size of a city and invest all that money into the appropriate structures to produce heavy cavalry.

The Byzantine Infantry is a meat grinder early in the game and for the cost of 175 flourin it's a fair bargain.

The problem with the Byzantines is that they're at a crossroads to Europe and the Mid.East. Would be conquerors can't help but look at Constantinople's direction, especially for wealth. Another problem is that although their force selection is great early on, the Byzantine army tends to lose it's superiority in quality as other factions get access to better troops. There was a time when one of my Byzantine Inf. units can take on many more men it's size. Now, with other more powerful units showing up, they tend to barely hold, if not get killed off quickly.

The Pronoiai Allagion are great heavy cavalry but less protected than the Kataphractoi. However, they also move faster. These guys are roughly equivalent to many of the mounted knights from Western Europe from what I've observed. They usually do alright throughout the game, but they're not Kataphractoi.

My problem is that cavalry early on and for most of the High Mid.Ages, are supreme if used properly. The Byzantines are well equipped in that regard. Byzantine Inf. do the job very well for a while but late in the game are likely to get killed off by better units. This is even made worse when infantry are much more powerful late in the Mid.Ages by virtue of arbalests, arquebuses, and other ranged armor killing weaponry. Expensive and powerful Pikemen will make short work of cavalry.

So, the glue of the Byzantines late in the game, the infantry, are pretty weak. I better get creative and not rely solely on technology. The glue that once held my empire together, the infantry, is slowly deteriorating to better equipped opposition and I have no better infantrymen.

------------------
There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

andrewt
08-26-2002, 15:40
I play the English using early middle age and they blow early on. I took Navarre early on and focused it on infantry, Wales on longbowmen, Mercia on billmen, Anjou on siege engines and Aquitaine on cavalry while having other provinces as backup in case I need to train a lot of troops in a hurry.

They start to get powerful quickly though. The Highland Clansmen are a cheap, poor man's nodachi. Billmen are only slightly weaker than chivalric men-at-arms. They are like chivalric sergeants that have a weaker charge but better at melee. They are cheaper to build, cheaper to support and only need a castle and spearmaker's guild. They also get +1 valor from Mercia. Longbowmen are as powerful as Trebizond archers in melee and their bows are powerful against armor. I think they might also have slightly better range than archers but maybe that is just me. You also only need castle with them and they get +1 valor from Wales. They are expensive though worth it.

I used hobilars for cavalry early on until I got feudal knights. Even with the feudal knights, I only use cavalry for charging flanks and chasing off routed units, archers and siege engines. My main line has always been billmen and my highest tech men-at-arms. Britain's cavalry isn't as good as the other catholic factions but superior spearmen and archers make up for it. Highland clansmen, kerns and gallowglasses also have the same support cost per unit as peasants but I found that out recently only. I'm building lots of kerns and gallowglasses right now for garrison duty so I could pull some of them off if I need more firepower. I should also build some highland clansmen for the same purpose.

Feudal knights are already on the same level as the pronoiai allagion and chivalric knights are much better and are actually cheaper to support. I looked at the stats and the kataphraktoi is so slow it might as well be considered infantry. It has the exact walk speed of cavalry, the exact run speed of the faster infantry and a charge speed right in the middle of infantry and heavy cavalry. They have better charge, defense and armor than pronoiai allagion but weaker melle and honor.

Swoosh So
08-26-2002, 18:30
eLMOOO Head faction god save us.......... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Swoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

ElmarkOFear
08-26-2002, 21:59
Hi Swoooooosh! You gonna be joining us in playing MTW? Hope so!! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif My ElmoHEads await eagerly your return to the battlefield. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Swoosh So
08-26-2002, 22:03
Not likely im afraid, ill have to stick to sp, but who knows what the future holds.. But i miss a good shoggy battle

swoooooooooooooosh