PDA

View Full Version : Schools and Corruption

woirble
09-10-2007, 16:38
Hi,

Do schools reduce corruption in EB? They were supposed to in RTW.

Thanks,

woirble

mcantu
09-10-2007, 16:46
Schools/Academys were supposed to give law bonuses with RTW 1.5 (1.3?) but it was left out of the actual patch (its in the release notes though). CA explains how to manually add in the law bonus on the CA forums.

Most mods have the bonus added in but EB does not. I added in myself since I figured CA intended for to be there...

Puupertti Ruma
09-10-2007, 19:14
In EB schools don't per se reduce corruption, ie. they don't give law bonuses directly. In the other hand, characters staying in city supplied with a school have a certain possibility of obtaining a law boosting traits. So in a indirect way schools can give law bonuses. Of course if the character is an uncharismatic idiot schools don't help and might even give bad traits.

If schools would give law bonus, there would be a reason to build them in a non governed town, and it would be quite easily rationalized why schools would give law bonus as they educate lawyers, tax collectors, teachers, scribes, mathematicians and many other people associated with governing a city, in addition to FMs.

NeoSpartan
09-10-2007, 20:00
well.... will law bonuses be added to schools/academies in the next build or something????????????

mcantu
09-10-2007, 20:21
Here's how to add it yourself...

Question #1:
In the readme of the 1.5 patch for RTW it says that academies now also have a use even if there is no family member in the city. Does anybody know what effect they have? And how big it is for academy, scriptorium, ludus magna?
Answer # 1:
The readme file is wrong. It says that the bonus was applied to the academy line of buildings, but this did not happen.

Here is how to apply this fix yourself:
1. Find your Rome – Total War/data/export_descr_buildings.txt. Make a backup copy of it in a safe place.
2. Find the following section:
building academic
{
levels academy scriptorium ludus_magnus
{
academy requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and building_present_min_level market market
{
capability
{
}
construction 3
cost 1600
settlement_min city
upgrades
{
scriptorium
}
}
scriptorium requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and building_present_min_level market forum
{
capability
{
}
construction 5
cost 3200
settlement_min large_city
upgrades
{
ludus_magnus
}
}
ludus_magnus requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and building_present_min_level market great_forum
{
capability
{
}
construction 6
cost 6400
settlement_min huge_city
upgrades
{
}
}
}
plugins
{
}
}

3. Change that section to look like this:

building academic
{
levels academy scriptorium ludus_magnus
{
academy requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and building_present_min_level market market
{
capability
{
law_bonus bonus 1
}
construction 3
cost 1600
settlement_min city
upgrades
{
scriptorium
}
}
scriptorium requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and building_present_min_level market forum
{
capability
{
law_bonus bonus 2
}
construction 5
cost 3200
settlement_min large_city
upgrades
{
ludus_magnus
}
}
ludus_magnus requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and building_present_min_level market great_forum
{
capability
{
law_bonus bonus 3
}
construction 6
cost 6400
settlement_min huge_city
upgrades
{
}
}
}
plugins
{
}
}

Thank you to: Mindblank, the Stig, Sirius 21 and theplayer1.

Edit - Due to a question from Entwood, I have to add a disclaimer. This is NOT an official fix. CA has NOT endorsed this modification or this FAQ thread. This is a community discovered fix. Implementing it means that you are modifying your game. It will no longer be "vanilla." If you attempt this [simple] modification and mess up, it will be your fault, NOT CA's. With that said, it is a simple fix to make, and you can easily get a new copy of the export_descr_strat.txt from the downloads page here. You can also reapply the backup copy that every sensible person makes before modifying anything.

Edit No. 2 - theplayer1's unofficial bugfixer also takes care of this problem. There is a link in this thread to the bugfixer. It solves this and a whole host of other bugs and glitches in RTW & BI.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-10-2007, 20:32
well.... will law bonuses be added to schools/academies in the next build or something????????????
No such bonuses are in EB at this time.
I add them in my minimod, though. (Helps the AI to actually build them.)

Bootsiuv
09-10-2007, 21:44
I think schools giving a small bonus to law is a good idea. It sort of abstractly represents that in an educated society, crime drops....and a small 5% bonus represents this crime drop nicely.

woirble
09-10-2007, 23:07
Thanks for all the replies.

I was aware that schools did not add a law bonus and that somewhere CA had said that they would.

I thought that they reduced corruption independent of the law bonus that CA decided not to give them.

Would someone please confirm that schools do not reduce corruption and that the only reason they were supposed to reduce corruption was because they were supposed to provide a law bonus.

I'm clinging to a dying hope that all the schools I have built across my empire were not money poured down the drain.

Thanks,

woirble

Bootsiuv
09-10-2007, 23:29
Thanks for all the replies.

I was aware that schools did not add a law bonus and that somewhere CA had said that they would.

I thought that they reduced corruption independent of the law bonus that CA decided not to give them.

Would someone please confirm that schools do not reduce corruption and that the only reason they were supposed to reduce corruption was because they were supposed to provide a law bonus.

I'm clinging to a dying hope that all the schools I have built across my empire were not money poured down the drain.

Thanks,

woirble

I'm afraid, that if you built said schools to reduce corruption, then, yes, your money was poured down the drain.

That being said, your governors can gain good traits from schools, and these traits reduce corruption, so it isn't all bad (although I usually build one school in my major city and send 16 year olds there for a few years to "learn").

Schools were going to reduce corruption in RTW 1.5 because of the law bonus, they do not reduce corruption simply from being schools....when it was said they reduced corruption, it was because they were going to have a law bonus, and that reduces corruption.

If I was you, I would consider giving the schools a law bonus yourself....I think a small 5% bonus is fitting to represent a more educated class of people.

Liberator
09-12-2007, 00:04
Law bonus through schools?

I think some schools today are a very dangerous place to go :laugh4:

Bootsiuv
09-12-2007, 00:26
Well, I didn't mean it like that (and I know you were just kidding)....more of an abstract representation of a more educated class of people.

More educated people = more people with skills = more people with jobs = less crime.

HopliteElite
09-12-2007, 00:35
Couldn't more educated people = more questioning = more discontent towards ruling party = harder to control = more crime and possibly revolution? Dumb people are probably more easily subjugated than intelligent people is, essentially, what saying.

Bootsiuv
09-12-2007, 01:03
That's an interesting way of looking at it....I suppose it depends on the ruling power.

Bellum
09-12-2007, 03:17
Couldn't more educated people = more questioning = more discontent towards ruling party = harder to control = more crime and possibly revolution? Dumb people are probably more easily subjugated than intelligent people is, essentially, what saying.

I really don't think that applied in the Hellenic or Roman worlds historically. Both cultures encouraged learning to some degree, at least for the upper classes.

agua
09-12-2007, 08:11
@mcantu

i noticed the costs were different in the fix than in my data file. Is there a mod you are using, or did you just make the buildings cheaper?

mcantu
09-12-2007, 11:31
@mcantu

i noticed the costs were different in the fix than in my data file. Is there a mod you are using, or did you just make the buildings cheaper?

Only add the part that is in bold letters...