PDA

View Full Version : Ambushes

Orange
08-28-2002, 18:52
Well, I haven't got the full game yet, so I will ask you Americans (and English by now?):
Ambushes, do they really work? As seen in the demo, they tend to be quite effective, the AI not being able to see your units hiding between the trees. But, if I remember this right from Shogun, you could see enemy troops stationed in a forest (a bit difficult to spot, but nonetheless). This is about SP, but I would like to know if it is possible that some AI unit just 'pops up' from a forest at your flank, or if you can still see them Shogun-style. And is MP any different?

Thanks in advance for responding, have to kill some time for the game to arrive here in Holland :-(.

Sjakihata
08-28-2002, 19:03
In Shogun you could not spot units hidden in forrests, only if your ordinary units moved close enough, or if your gen unit where in the vicinity. Also sometimes some birds where flying from the woods and the enemy was there, this has not been confirmed I believe.

I think that the AI in the demo is preprogrammed to ignore units hiding, or else it seems a little too good to be true http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

In Shogun I have been ambushed several times by the AI, a few times it actually worked.
In MP ambushes diffinately work.

hope that helps...

------------------
*bows* - Power to the Sultan!

Clan Seljuk

Red Inquisition
08-28-2002, 19:11
I just had a battle last night where the attackers came out of the woods. I could not see them until they got to the front of the forest. I was defending and could not figure out where they were until they were right on top of me.

It really suprised me.

malkuth
08-28-2002, 19:16
Ambushes seem to work. I attacked some rebels my last game and was outnumbered by about 400 men. I took on what I thought was the main army and after a long fight routed them.

Low and behold to my suprise about 3 more armies came running out of the woods toward my now scattered army that was chasing the Routed one.

I had to do some quick regrouping and I managed to hold them off. But It could of cost me the battle.

Ii Naomasa
08-28-2002, 19:16
Yes, troops that shouldn't be seen by your men don't seem to show up for you, which is a good thing. And it seems like the AI is less able to 'guess' where your hidden men are like they sometimes did in Shogun (I loved when they'd send a unit to 'shadow' my hidden ninja, which almost ruined their effectiveness).

Speaking of battlefield ninja, there is at least one unit that functions like them, being able to hide in open fields. The name escapes me at the moment, but its a Islamic unit based on a warrior/assassin cult. I picked up some as part of a jihad and didn't realize they could do this until their fourth or so battle when I realized they were 'hidden' while standing out there with my other skirmisher units.

------------------
Naomasa Ii
Vices & Virtues:
Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge!' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.

Becket
08-28-2002, 19:34
The unit is called hashishin....they are definitely a late in the game unit buttttt 12 of them can hide in plain site on the battle field.

Orange
08-28-2002, 19:54
Thanks people. I get the impression that the AI has been improved at this point. Next is of course, do you (intend to) use ambushes a lot, is it really part of your playing style or aren't you even thinking of using them?
And what units are your favourite 'ambushers'? From what I've read the Scottish clansmen are swift moving and deadly when charging, making them ideal for tasks like these not?

KampfBar Ritter
08-28-2002, 21:15
If anyone tries to invade the great wooden lands of Germany, they will be ambushed and defeated.

On the bright side, their skulls will make fine beer mugs.

------------------
All my actions are dedicated to the memory of my great Lord Frederick I who one day knighted a poor woodsman and man-at-arms. Ich der Salut der mutig Barbarossa

Cheetah
08-28-2002, 21:49
Quote Originally posted by Orange:
Thanks in advance for responding, have to kill some time for the game to arrive here in Holland :-(.[/QUOTE]

Play the demo mods, there are more than 50 mods for the demo!!! http://www.totalwar.org/MTWFiles/Battle_Mods.shtml