PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Separate Strategic/Tactical difficulty levels?

Puzz3D
08-28-2002, 02:31
LongJohn2,

I know the CA team must have considered having separate control of difficulty levels in the turn based (strategic) part of the game and the battles (tactical) part of the game. I tend to be better at the battles than the economics and would probably play the game at normal strategic difficulty and expert tactical difficulty if it was possible. Does the programming team think it's a good idea, but it just didn't make it high enough on the priority list to be implemented?

Incidentally, so far it looks like you've done a great job balancing the various factors in your battle system. I think the original STW feel is back, but with a lot of nice refinements like better cav, variable unit sizes, ability to disengage, etc.

Kraellin
08-28-2002, 05:40
oh, what a good idea, yuuki. i like it. you could even do a rating percentage thing then based on the two settings. nice.

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

longjohn2
08-29-2002, 00:54
Pretty much everyone thinks this is a good idea. Why it didn't happen, I don't know. Sadly it requires messing in a part of the program I know nothing about, so I can't fix it.

Glad you're enjoying the battles. I'd be interested to know if any units are emerging as favorite types. From our testing I think maybe one or two could do with being a smidge more expensive, but I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Nelson
08-29-2002, 01:43
This option makes loads of sense. For most Shogun vets, the battle AI needs to be all it can be all the time. We may still need to feel our way around the campaign map but when the fight starts we're plenty comfortable in the saddle.

As for fav units I haven't played anyone but Spain so far and only up to about year 1140. I do like the jinetes a lot. They're everything light cav ought to be! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
COGITOERGOVINCO

MagyarKhans Cham
08-29-2002, 04:12
doesnt the battle-ai on exp or ez do the same?

Kraxis
08-29-2002, 05:33
Longjohn...

It would be great, I like more challenge in tactical battles, while I feel the Strategic AI doesn't need be as powerful. But that was the STW outlook, I wonder how it will be this time.

By the way, did you guys try to implement 22 unit armies??? For I found a file named '22 unit panel' next to a '16 unit panel'. The numbers would have fitted with the first numbers of total troops on the field (15,000). Did it prove too much??? It would have been great!!!