PDA

View Full Version : olympics

traveller2
09-23-2007, 13:20
When a general is at sea is he also supposed to have no movement points when the olympics arive? I thought it was only for those inside a city.

btw i´m makedon. Sweboz, as and ptolomy are the greatest empires so far god I love this game. Though I am cornerred on all sides with enemies but hey its fun :)

NightStar
09-23-2007, 14:39
Maybe it's if you don't move your general? Maybe your general would rather go to the olympics than be sailing. :dizzy2:

Ailfertes
09-23-2007, 14:39
No participating general can move during the olympics. This is to recreate a situation where he had to move to Olympia and actually participate. He couldn't possibly be commanding his troops against... say Byzantion and at the same time be running in Olympia.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
09-23-2007, 19:20
Could it be modded that generals can only participate in the Olympics when they are in a city? Because it's a bit of a pain when they are on campaign and the campaign ceases a season because the general suddenly decides to make a three-month journey. Very unrealistic too.

traveller2
09-23-2007, 19:20
but how can a general at sea participate?

TWFanatic
09-23-2007, 19:52
Historically there would be peace during the Olympics...though of course this cannot be enforced.

Foot
09-23-2007, 19:54
but how can a general at sea participate?

You have to make allowances for the game. For example, given the amount of distance that can be covered every turn, how does a general in Baktria compete in the Olympics. The code goes, if you haven't moved the general then he is eligible to compete. I don't know if we can check if a general is on ship.

Foot

bovi
09-23-2007, 20:42
We can actually detect that the character is at sea. Don't know if we should disallow participation in the olympics if he stays still in a boat though. The general will not participate if he's moving at sea.

traveller2
09-24-2007, 12:50
Ah I see, I thought the code was for a general to be inside a settlement to join to olympics but all he has to do is not move that turn. hehe my bad

I of the Storm
09-24-2007, 15:49
Happened to me too once. The boat was stuck in the middle of the sea. Fortunately it wasn't attacked.
I hope that seatravelling generals will be exempt from the olympics in the next release. It is a bit odd ...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-24-2007, 20:04
It's not that odd. If you didn't move the fleet that turn, then they obviously aren't enroute to anywhere. And fleets don't just sit in the middle of the ocean for 3 months. So the fleet must be stationed along a shore base or on some remote Aegean island. Meaning that the general is just in charge of an unimportant camp with some ships drug ashore. He clearly has time to go back to Greece and compete in the Olympics. He might delay some military plans, but to him, it seemed there were no plans when he signed up for the Olympics.

I of the Storm
09-24-2007, 20:13
If I hadn't moved that fleet it would be alright. Trouble is, I put the guy on the boat in Antioch IIRC and wanted to move him to Alexandria. 2 turns travel time. I ended right in the middle and couldn't move the next turn because my general had boarded the lifeboat and rowed off to the games...:wall:
Really, I swear that fleet had moved!

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-24-2007, 20:19
Did you have multiple generals on the ship? Sometimes one general will run out of movepoints stopping the fleet, while the Olympics eligable guy will have 80% of his movepoints left, keeping him eligable for the Olympics next turn.

woirble
09-24-2007, 20:54
Have you considered checking in the fall whether a general moved in the summer and then determining whether the general actually went to the Olympics in the summer?

You might have to provide the Olympics results at the end of the fall turn, but that way, it doesn't affect gameplay at all. In other words, generals never have -100% movement, you just learn which of your sedentary generals went to the games and whether they won.

If you want a general to have a chance of going to the Olympics, don't move him during the summer.

It's frustrating to have -100% movement for a general you would like to move.

Just a suggestion.

woirble

I of the Storm
09-25-2007, 09:59
@MAA: Nope. I only had this one general on the ships. The fleet was out of movement points. The general had some left probably but was nowhere near 100%.
Anyway, I don't want to make more trouble than this is worth. It happens very rarely anyway. Question is: is it feasible at all to check for the character being 'on dry ground' before he can participate in the games?

bovi
09-25-2007, 14:24
We cannot detect the stack's remaining movement unfortunately, so we have to do it on the general's. As said, it's debatable to disallow anyone to join the games if he's just sticking around in a fleet somewhere (in fact he'd probably have to spend less time to get there than the rest). Currently a general needs to retain at least half his move to be eligible for attending.

Woirble's suggestion might have some merit though. We may consider this for EB2.