PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Gripes

Penumbra
08-28-2002, 01:16
I love this game but have a couple of gripes. When playing as the Spanish in normal mode and after having conquered all of western Europe and successfully destroying the Germans, French, Engish, and the Papacy, I noticed that the rate of re-appearance for the different eliminated factions is far too high to the point of annoyance. Also annoying the the number of troops that I have to place on my constantly revolting provences (especially Portugal) to keep them in line (Even with spies, border forts, and a low tax rate.) Because of this, I spend all my time re-conquering my revolting provences than I do conquering new territories.

Funky Phantom
08-28-2002, 01:18
Portugal seems to have a reputation for being very rebellious, it appears they dont appreciate having foerign rule forced upon them http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

As for the other points, these all represent the difficulties that an empire in those times wouldve faced, especially a very large one...

Vanya
08-28-2002, 01:20
GAH!

Keeping a full 960 man army in each province will teach those rebellious bastids the price of their treachery.

GAH!

Kraellin
08-28-2002, 01:27
the revolts do indeed vary from province to province. i find this to be one of the strong points of the game. it keeps things from becoming too predictable. after my first loss in spain, i started a 2nd campaign as spain and didnt try to take portugal until i had all of north africa and all of the other nearby rebel provinces. only then did i go after portugal and i gave then NO chance to revolt by placing a HUGE army in the their province and keeping it there. only when the province was showing a very high loyalty did i start to remove any troops. i also placed counter spies in the province and from time to time, a religious unit to keep down a religious revolt. i also did as many improvements as possible as quickly as possible to pacify the population. after a number of years they do settle down and begin thinking of themselves as spanish.

with other provinces you can walk in and walk out and the locals could seem to care less about who 'owns' them at the moment. i find this a nice twist and shows the dev guys went into some care and detail with the programming.

it is true, though, that this can be a surprise to the unwary. so far, portugal is the absolute worst about this, but i love them for it :)

K.

------------------
The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Nelson
08-28-2002, 01:40
Yup, the Portuguese are a royal pain in the Don's ass. Prince Pedro earned the sobriquets "merciless" and "swift to justice" for all the executing he did there. (In fact there was a Pedro the Cruel come to think of it.) After decades I still need a few hundred men in the garrison there. Of course I do tax the bastards 'til they squeak.

------------------
COGITOERGOVINCO

Stuie
08-28-2002, 03:37
I've got a couple of gripes too:

1. I have to get SOME sleep at night.
2. I have to go to work 5 days out of 7.

Oh well, at least I live in the USA.

Vanya
08-28-2002, 03:53
Quote Originally posted by Stuie:
I've got a couple of gripes too:

1. I have to get SOME sleep at night.
2. I have to go to work 5 days out of 7.

Oh well, at least I live in the USA.[/QUOTE]

GAH!

Vanya can fix you up in no time concerning those 'issues' you mention...

1. Toothpicks. Use them to hold your eyelids open. That way, you can play MTW even while you're asleep, comatose or just plain incoherent...

2. If you install the game at work, you can play every day of the week. And if the boss gives you any crap, a stiff "GAH!" will put him in his place. And if that doesn't work, get the bastid addicted to the game you so can play your coworkers over the company LAN.

GAH!

malkuth
08-28-2002, 03:57
I havent got that far yet in game to notice the pop up of old Kingdoms.

But I do have a gripe about how much Assasins, spys, etc the AI uses. Its kinda queer going through 15 of.
"Your men have caught and killed an Assasin from blah, blah, blah." A turn!!

And there are so many of the AI's Agents around my king I cant see him.

And Im playing on Easy.

[This message has been edited by malkuth (edited 08-27-2002).]

Xiahou
08-28-2002, 05:00
Well here's my gripe!

Ive held Rome, as the Byzantines for about 40yrs now and within the last 10yrs there has been a "Papacy Restored" revolt either every year or every other year!

I have to constantly keep 1200+ men in Rome in order to hold it as the Papal Rebellions usually have about 2000 men in them with at least 16 units of Royal Knights, and about just as many feudal knights.

Now I can understand there being huge revolts to restore the pope normally, but here's my problem: First off, Ive had priests/churches in Rome so long now that its only 13% Catholic and 86% Orthodox... so where are all these elite units coming from? Also, after 30yrs wouldnt the people of Rome start to get over the Pope? (overlooking the fact that they arent even Catholic). Finally, units like the royal knights and the other elite infantry that I keep slaughtering in droves arent that easy to come by.. wouldnt they start to run out? Every year or two I end up killing off another 1200 of them or more! Its not that I cant win these battles, I have been- its just that after the 5th time its really starting to annoy me as it adds another 20mins or so to every turn while I fight the rebellion battle.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
08-28-2002, 05:01
...well DIPSY will see how things pan out when the time comes.

------------------
http://216.40.241.68/ups/icis/ices_tubbie_2.gif
DIPSY SAYS EH-OH!!!!!!!

Kalisari
08-28-2002, 09:55
Xiahou, the Papacy is a unique faction.

They ALWAYS come back, no matter what you do hehehehe.

You have to keep a huge army there - no choice.

I believe in the Italians info thing, it even says something about taking on the Papacy is not a wise decision because of their unique nature (if the Papacy is not there, nobody can launch crusades - so they always rebell).

Personally, I got so sick of fighting them I just autocalc now.

Now for my gripe...
is it just me, or is trade just completely overpowered?

I first began with playing England, and each of their provinces earns me, on average, around 300 gold.

I got bored of them after a while, and then I switched to the Italians. I put ships scretching from where spain and Africa nearly met, all the way to the black sea, put tons of armies into defending my 'northern frontier' (against the Holy Roman Empire), and then I concentrated on taking out the south.

Suddenly, I find myself with provinces that provide me with this much income:
1 province giving 3500
2 giving 2500
another 5 giving around 800-1600

Suddenly, the game got pretty boring... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif
I had an insane income, the ability to support thousands of troops, and the ability to move to any province on the coast instantly. Oh, I also completely out-teched everybody else because of this income.

oZoNeLaYeR
08-28-2002, 10:08
Easy solution, try Turks, i think they only have one province, that would challenge ya. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Xiahou
08-29-2002, 02:20
I know the pope always comes back- Ive been dealing with it for years and years! How and why does he keep coming back to Rome when only 13% are Catholic? Wouldnt he set up shop elsewhere? Also, where does he get all of these Catholic supporters as I slaughter them by the thousands and their cant be that many in Rome to begin with.

My main problem with this situation is that I have to keep Rome constantly producing units (and often I need to send reinforcements from elsewhere) to fend off these hordes of elite units that seemingly come out of thin air. Sorry to harp on this but its pretty much killed my interest in my Byzantine campaign as I feel it only natural to want to hold Rome and Italy as the Byzantines. I can understand several strong Papal rebellions, but they should wear down eventually.
Or even for a better idea... why not have the Byzantines able to hold Rome/Italy with the papacy intact, since having a pope really works against the Catholic factions and helps me.

Funky Phantom
08-29-2002, 02:28
Has anyone actually managed to subdue Rome? Ive seen many accounts of people having problems and id like to know what the trick is to keeping the pope out once hes down...

Vanya
08-29-2002, 03:00
Quote Originally posted by Funky Phantom:
Has anyone actually managed to subdue Rome? Ive seen many accounts of people having problems and id like to know what the trick is to keeping the pope out once hes down...[/QUOTE]

Crossbows and pig-stickers.

Using only that, I've held of Papist revolts larger than my own garrison. 500 men of mine managed to spank a 1000-man army loaded with a plethora of royal kinigits, men-at-arms and archers.

GAH!

Grifman
08-29-2002, 05:57
I'm playing as the Byzants also on hard. Don't have Italy yet, but I do have the eastern Med http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif Anyway, the Sicilians own most of southern and central Italy, and every couple of years I hear about the Pope popping up, and then being eliminated. I've decided that when I invade Italy I am just going to leave Rome alone. But I do plan on sending Orthodox priests and bishops into the territory to make it Orthodox. Then he will just be a nice historical relic - from a gameplay standpoint, I'll just consider him my puppet.

Rome just isn't worth the hassle.

Grifman