PDA

View Full Version : How did you keep interest this times?

Charge
09-25-2007, 14:06
So how you folks are keeping interest now? I cant play even 20 turns... :help:
I know that the point is competition in both campaign and battlefield maps. But if they aren't exist for some reasons, what do you do? Playing different mods, different campaigns, ... :inquisitive:

CrazyGuy
09-25-2007, 14:45
I must admot I am the same. Especially when playing as a Roman Faction there comes a time, usually just after the Marian Reforms when everything is progressing nicely and I accept 'I will win from this position' and quit.

To this day I've yet to experience the Civil War.

SpartanPhalanx
09-25-2007, 16:17
So how you folks are keeping interest now? I cant play even 20 turns... :help:
I know that the point is competition in both campaign and battlefield maps. But if they aren't exist for some reasons, what do you do? Playing different mods, different campaigns, ... :inquisitive:

Sounds like you need to find a new game to play :thumbsdown:

woad&fangs
09-25-2007, 17:54
EB adds a unique challenge to the gameplay. You could also try playing vanilla with a challenging faction. I personally found Numidia very difficult.

ixidor
09-25-2007, 19:24
The problem with this type of games is that, as soon as you enter in the fase 2 (when money starts coming and coming, and you can start recruiting good units) the interest also starts decreasing, because you simply know that the game is already won. It was good if, for example. in which game the AI chose a faction far enough from the player to be an empire, an empire that could rival with you, thus providing an awesome battlefield of very large parts of the map, then the fase 2 would also be cool. But true is that, when you can conquer 50 settlements in less then 100 turns with almost any faction, there are times that it starts to get boring.

Benandorf
09-25-2007, 19:44
I generally start the lose interest that late in the game, too, but I think if you get lucky and find an AI enemy that actually has an empire, it become very fun. In my recent Brutii campaign, I'm having a slug-fest with Pontus, which owns 90% of the near east. I'm winning without too much problem, which is kinda dissapointing, but there are enough of them that is has some challenge with it, and is therefore quite entertaining.

If you really want to have a big enemy empire, choose someone far away from yourself (and from Rome, cause they stop other AI empires easily), and once you get to the point where you have waaaay too much money (generally around turn 30-50, depending on your faction), give them a bunch each turn for 5 or 6 turns (or more, depending on if you have trouble keeping under that 50k limit, and how big you want them to get), and then do this again every 20 or so turns for a few times, and you'll have a big enemy empire to kill.

ixidor
09-25-2007, 23:21
Hmm, interesting theory. The problem is that, most of the times i play factions close enough from Rome, so we eventually clash against each other. Now I am playing with Carthage, not only because is my favourite faction but also because it's quite a challenging faction in the first 10-12 turns, but the problem is, by the time the Etna explodes i am already conquering the gaulic cities in the north of italy, attacking Numidia and defeating the last settlements from Spain... And since i don't like to reach the 50k level i start gathering more and more troops and conquering more and more lands and soon it's all over... It's stronger then me you see, the romans are right there and i am playing with their worst enemy, i have to take them damnit :laugh4:

Anyway, i guess next time i will try Parthia, i think it's far enough from Rome. Also, it has quite good cavalry (and i love cavalry:sweatdrop:). Maybe i wait until Marian Reforms, maybe this way i have an ancient version of a World War.

SSJVegetaTrunks
09-25-2007, 23:47
I can think of three ways to make your gameplay experience more fun:

1. Create an AAR.
2. Download Myrddraals "Hotseat mod", which allows you to switch factions. So halfway through the game, if you have 30 cities and are owning everyone, you can switch to a weak faction, and with that faction have to face your former empire.
3. Again, download Myrddraal's "Hotseat mod", and play a multiplayer campaign. I've got one going right now, it really makes the world seem less empty, knowing you aren't the only one on the map with brains. This, in combination with creating an AAR, is working for me.

You can download the Hotseat mod here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64876

gaiusjulii
09-26-2007, 12:18
Have you tried to play the game using diplomacy? If i am getting bored what I tend to do is start using agents such as diplomats for gettting the most out fo the other factions, spies and assassins to use espionage as a fun thing to do.

also Try to stay small, I notice one thing that you all have said that you all get bored once you get over ten provinces and also assume that you all go for the most lucrative provinces... try not to do this try to stay within your own starting provinces for the first 10-15 turns just using agents dont Bribe armies, you'll soon find that your game is much more fun. I am playing the greek cities and in 20 tunrs I have only taken 5 provinces and Carthage is really giving me hard time I am loving it using spies and asssassins to really cause them trouble, So as i said before avoid steamrolling early

Charge
09-26-2007, 12:51
This is a good idea. I remember in my best campaign (vanilla) as Julii, I sit in norhtern Italy with 5 provinces for 35 years! Eventually by 120bc I have taken all barb factions, and after preparing for civil war in 80bc I finally begun a truly world war with Scipii(all africa) and Brutii(greece,dacia) in 4 directions. Thera are plenty of heroic wins, but unfortunately after retraing main army soldiers have lost their expirience (6-7, wtf?~:angry: ) and in rage I leave this gloryos campaign in 65bc...

Hm, now I think that best way is to find suitable mod (I dont wanna to mod RTW myself), with ideal balance and start AAR. EB (last played) seems to have problems with it, as buildings and units are extremely expensive, in a whole world there are only 2 full stacks (!), and I'm surrounded by mighty rebels.
In future PBM will be a good choice...

Charge
09-26-2007, 17:27
Crap. This mods are so silly :wall: (( Again making mine....

Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht
09-26-2007, 17:58
I have a lot more interest (and fun) playing EB than vanilla RTW

got bored quite quickly playing vanilla RTW, (although these days in general I do try and use more diplomacy)

Severous
09-26-2007, 22:04
Try playing the German faction
- without expanding or sending troops outside Germany
- retain all your initial 5 starting regions..and no more
- for the full 200+ years of the imperial campaign

This will give you some interesting battles, advanced and powerful enemies, plenty of opportunity with agents plus a financial headache.

Rotc_Railey15
09-26-2007, 23:26
Play as Carthage. They are really a challenge. Especially when you are trying to conquer the Italian Peninsula. Pick factions that are divided politically and try to pick fights with huge nations.

Caius
09-27-2007, 18:15
Spain is a good option IMO. They will fight against Brittish, Juliians, and Gaul troops. The Julii and Gaul will be allied.

And one more thing. Win the whole penninsula in 10 years!

Zain
09-29-2007, 03:12
Or you could just mod it so you have less powerful units or start out with only one province. Giving everyone else the upper hand certainly gives me the want to beat them back. Kinda like the Spartans.

Charge
10-01-2007, 20:51
I have started new greek campaign in EB, now it is 267 bc, but I'm not sure where should I expand my growing empire thus it will be interest for me...
https://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6396/rtw100075ta0.th.jpg (https://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rtw100075ta0.jpg)

Macedonians have approximately same number of troops as I, but Epirus, currently ally, have twicely more.
Options are:
1. Conquer Macedonia; ....evil epirotes may backstabb me...:inquisitive:
2. build secon army, then:
a) Macedonia
b) Thracia
c) Sicily
d) Minor Asia
e) something else?
3. build up citys

What do you think?

gaiusjulii
10-02-2007, 12:29
I have started new greek campaign in EB, now it is 267 bc, but I'm not sure where should I expand my growing empire thus it will be interest for me...
https://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6396/rtw100075ta0.th.jpg (https://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rtw100075ta0.jpg)

Macedonians have approximately same number of troops as I, but Epirus, currently ally, have twicely more.
Options are:
1. Conquer Macedonia; ....evil epirotes may backstabb me...:inquisitive:
2. build secon army, then:
a) Macedonia
b) Thracia
c) Sicily
d) Minor Asia
e) something else?
3. build up citys

What do you think?

why not just attack the macedonians regardless sack their cities and then leave them at the mercy of epirotes....

ShaiHulud
10-08-2007, 22:35
I've found that the decisive factor in the game is the amount of gold Rome receives early on. The vanilla version simply provides too much cash and Rome rolls down the opposition. The EB version, while it has a lot of features I truly liked, again, just too much gold in Rome.

Rome's wealthy period was not at its inception but, after the major conquests in Greece and Egypt. Gaul and Spain, while helpful, also tied down a lot of troops and took a long time to become profitable. The grain to support Rome's burgeoning population came from what was Carthage and Egypt. So, early Rome with excesses of gold is both ahistorical and unbalancing.

The best mod for me is Darth Mod, with the large map, in which Rome consists of 3 provinces. Merely supporting the beginning armies puts you into the red by turn two. Holding off Pyrhus and the Gauls while, simultaneously,
conquering the rest of Italy is a true challenge. I wouldn't suggest VH/VH immediately. It's that hard.

The large map requires a lot more time and that puts an end to the Roman bulldozer squashing the peninsula flat quickly. Defending, and expanding, on two fronts will test you severely. And, on VH/VH, the Gallic barbarians will TRULY have hordes. Even in victory you'll find your losses, er, galling? :laugh4:

Also, there's a good thread here on house rules that many have adopted to compensate.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91001

Erik Bloodaxe
10-17-2007, 15:39
I think its all about how you play it, not necessarily what faction you are playing. After I began playing in a slow, roleplaying-ish playstyle I've enjoyed the TW series much much more. After a couple of times, theres a big chance of getting tired of blitzing, at least thats what happened to me.