PDA

View Full Version : MTW\'s First Casualty (who shall remain nameless)

Dionysus9
08-29-2002, 01:34
Well, I had the displeasure of seeing a potential Multiplayer MTW general tell me that he had enough of the game and was going to return it. This guy had a lot of potential and must have played some Shoggy before.

I talked w/ him for awhile to find out why he was so dissatisfied. The reasons he gave me were:

1) numerous bugs/drops in multiplayer, and
2) the sheer amount of time spent waiting around for a multiplayer game, for people to join, for people to choose units, and then deploy, etc., again only to have a drop or server problem.

I told him the key to MTW and successful generalship was p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e, but he was out for quick blood and wanted to play right away.

So, he said he wasn't gonna play anymore and would try to return the game. I tried to tell him that a patch would be coming out soon that would fix many of the bugs/issues, but he had already made his mind up.

I'm not going to disclose his name because I am hoping he will change his mind and come back. But, if sales and/or community ranks do not swell as expected, I think we may have the first inklings of a reason.

I personally love the game so much I dont care if it takes a day to play a 1v1.

youssof_Toda
08-29-2002, 01:36
In the end only the players who are realy interested remain left, but getting a game should be easier when europe invades the foyer.

Major Robert Dump
08-29-2002, 01:53
I've never known of any store anywhere that will accept a return on software once the package has been opened. This guy is bluffing.

TenkiSoratoti
08-29-2002, 02:48
hopefully the hotshot newbies will get bored and go away but this time ill be starting from the beginning unlike stw where i started practicly at the end of the era, i will rise to be great hopefully.

------------------
"The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an oppurtunity to defeat the enemy."

chilliwilli
08-29-2002, 02:58
Its easy to return opened games. Just say that you didnt have the minimum system requirements. I did that with Tribes 2. Best retunr I ever made http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif.

Kraxis
08-29-2002, 03:19
Too few people there? Of course, what did he expect when only americans (and a few notable exceptions) have the game... When Europe joins, then there will be opponents again.

Bugs? Many of the glaring bugs will get patched. Isn't that what the CA guys here say?

------------------
You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

ShadeWraith
08-29-2002, 03:45
Quote Originally posted by chilliwilli:
Its easy to return opened games. Just say that you didnt have the minimum system requirements. I did that with Tribes 2. Best retunr I ever made http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif.[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with Tribes2? I think its a great game.

Wraith

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
08-29-2002, 03:56
Oh dear well it will always happen.

I just hope the patch comes out soon enough so that people stay.

------------------
http://216.40.241.68/ups/icis/ices_tubbie_2.gif
DIPSY SAYS EH-OH!!!!!!!

MagyarKhans Cham
08-29-2002, 04:07
are we really interested in those guys? not me.

DthB4Dishonour
08-29-2002, 04:10
Hey all,
Sad to see another guy leaving before giving the game a real chance. The reasons he gave are all MP reasons. I guess he hasn't been playing SP for I drag myself away from it to play 2-3 games then back to the SP. In my opinion SP is worth the price of admission alone.
Also I dont think alot of americans will be going online for another few weeks or so. In my experience playing MP in STW was intimidating as I thought everyone will crush me and use me as a punching bag (proved to be right). But ontop of that I also got better with tips that can only be given when someone sees your style. So about the end of September I expect many Americans will be confident enought in there skills as a general to play online.

RTKPaul of Exidur

*Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die!*

Shiro
08-29-2002, 04:19
I'm with my fellow NYCer. MP is just gravy for me. Obviously, CA seems to think the same. The huge focus on making the campaign better is a sure indication.

------------------
"Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
-Solypsist

hach
08-29-2002, 04:36
Electronic Boutique in the UK has a 10 day/no fuss returns Policy.

I've used it many a time.

By the way Tribes 2 is the Best Multiplayer Game barr none.

Divine Wind
08-29-2002, 04:54
Quote Originally posted by hach:
[B]Electronic Boutique in the UK has a 10 day/no fuss returns Policy.
B][/QUOTE]

EB is a place i have had lots of game exchanges and returns...u could say im a EB whore http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Forward Observer
08-29-2002, 05:30
Both Electronics Boutique and Software,Etc. (owned by Babbages) have a return policy that allows the return or exchange of opened software. 10 days for both, I believe. At one time you could get your cash back, but now they will only issue a store credit.

In fact my local E.B. gives you a plastic pre-paid gift card instead of a credit slip. I know, because I have one in my wallet right now, waiting for the next time I go to the mall to buy a game. "Mafia" is due out soon and looks good.

Of course all of major electronics chains will only allow returns on un-opened boxes of software. I only buy there to take advantage of their sales specials and discounts, but only if I am fairly confident that I will like the game.

I have still been fooled, and have bought a few turkeys at Best Buy. In those two cases, I have found that wide clear adhesive packing tape is very useful, and a roll can be obtained for about $2 at Walmart .

Cheers

------------------
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 08-29-2002).]

JRock
08-29-2002, 08:26
Quote Originally posted by Major Robert Dump:
I've never known of any store anywhere that will accept a return on software once the package has been opened. This guy is bluffing.[/QUOTE]

Then I guess they never had Electronics Boutique near you, which up until a change in policy last November, allowed people to return games even for cash back.

tootee
08-29-2002, 08:42
What? how long has the game been out? a week. and he wanna quit because of few players, and drops (is it that serious a problem? gotta get the game b4 I know)? Gah! I tell you, he will be back in a month time.

Kalt
08-29-2002, 08:56
Quote Originally posted by MagyarKhans Cham:
are we really interested in those guys? not me.[/QUOTE]

The more people play multiplayer, the more popular it is, the more it drives sales of the game, the more incentive for people to NOT play a cracked version,

the more support multiplayer gets.

Treasure every single player which plays multiplayer, because their very presence promotes the feature. However at the same time demand from the publisher/developer that very very basic improvements to the multiplayer client be made, like being able to ignore players and being able to see into on potential games so you can easily spot the newbies who rig their games.

ElmarkOFear
08-29-2002, 11:28
To RTK Paul, Just to let you know, I know how y ou feel about getting online and getting your butt whooped. My first two onlines games were against: Magyarkhan in game 1, and AMPmortog in game 2. Needless to say I am a sucker for punishment, so I stuck around and improved my game play a bit. If a person expects to start playing online they should expect to get beaten badly at first. Unfortunately for me, I am still getting beaten badly!!!! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Swoosh So
08-29-2002, 13:53
lol elmo you arent that bad im still bruised from those annoying ys armies!

Swooooooooosh

The Sultan
08-29-2002, 16:48
To pick up on the topic I would suggest that part of the fun is actually choosing, setting up and deploying armies - the battle itself is the "reward" for all your efforts and strategic planning.

To go slightly off the topic, I know all you Americans have already got the game, so during setup in MP is there the ability to send in spies to see the enemy formation?

Maybe it's finally time to get a broadband connection?

w00tage
08-29-2002, 16:55
Quote Originally posted by hach:
By the way Tribes 2 is the Best Multiplayer Game barr none.[/QUOTE]

cs is better

------------------
You are perpetuating the downfall of mankind

DrNo
08-29-2002, 18:42
The games only been out a week, did he not play the single player campaign?

How many hours had he spent a day playing MTW? I suggest he may have post-release blues and once returned he will miss the game immensly.

Not sure how he expected to enjoy MP when 'UK' hasn't kicked his butt yet!
Just 10 hours to go now http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

ElmarkOFear
08-29-2002, 18:54
Sultan, you cannot see your opponents during setup, but now you CAN see your partners. Which is a great help in setting up your men.

SwoOoOOoOsh, I kinda miss your annoying multi-faceted armies that constantly shoved my samurais yaris up their . . . oh nefvermind!! HEHE http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif Can't wait to see you in armor carrying a big sword!! woohoo Joan of Arc has nothing on you! LOL

The Sultan
08-29-2002, 19:50
DrNo is Nottingham in a different timezone or sumfink? We can't get it till 8.30 tommorrow! Which is by my reckoning 17.5 hours away... The excitement mounts...

You can see your partners formations? How cool is that!? Thanks for the info!